NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Down with the sickness 2013

Feel mega-ill/shit at the moment. Went into work yesterday, against my better judgement and about 3 or 4 people who I closely work with are in a similar situation. Head feels like it has been smashed with a mallet, throat is sore and it hurts to raise my voice, my nose is blocked and my entire body feels tired/drained of energy.

Hate feeling this way.

When I was home over Christmas, pretty much everyone in the vicinity was sick or had just been, but somehow I miraculously avoided it. *has nothing else to contribute*

I think going to work when you're sick is a stupid idea at the best of times, but don't you work with children? Don't they get sick often enough as it is? :p

I think going to work when you're sick is a stupid idea at the best of times, but don't you work with children? Don't they get sick often enough as it is? :p

It's not really as simple as it seems. When a teacher goes off sick, the school either hands over your class to somebody else (usually the classes double up) or they get in a supply. Can't remember the last time we had a supply at our school, usually the first resolution is the one that happens. In our junior school, we have 6 teachers, with 4 of them ill. So, in a way, you're forced to go in, because otherwise you'd have 2 teachers covering for 6 separate classes, which I guess isn't unfair.

Only reason I went in is because of that reason, not knowing if there would be anyone available to cover them.

I've had a blocked nose and other connected symtpoms for almost 2 months now. It's ridiculous. I have to take nasal spray every night just so I can fall asleep.

Lost my voice around Christmas too, as a symptom of it.

Feel mega-ill/shit at the moment. Went into work yesterday, against my better judgement and about 3 or 4 people who I closely work with are in a similar situation. Head feels like it has been smashed with a mallet, throat is sore and it hurts to raise my voice, my nose is blocked and my entire body feels tired/drained of energy.

Hate feeling this way.

In my professional opinion, it's probably not terminal.

Probably.

In my professional opinion, it's probably not terminal.

Probably.

In my unprofessional opinion, you need to start making peace with yourself and preparing for the inevitable.

Woke up with a terrible sore throat, but not unexpected as I went to bed with a sore throat as well.

Only problem is that I'm captaining a football team and tonight is the first training session/practice match against last season's champions...

Hate feeling this way.

This is what I had last week except for I was also coughing up blood whenever I spoke or even whispered. It was a nightmare! I'm better now, I just have a cough and a little chest infection but I'm okay.

Just rest and sleep and down Covonia Linctus and throat spray, that helped me! Hope you feel better soon, dude!

Also, work was a nightmare with me. They took me off for one shift and then I got a warning because I didn't call them EVERY DAY telling them how I felt. I told them that there was absolutely no way I could be in in that week, it would be impossible and they accepted it and said okay as far as I knew. But on one of the days last week, I got called asking where I was. I told them I was in bed sick and that I told them I wouldn't be in all week and they were like "You should call in every day" and they said they'd have a word with me when I returned to work. When I did, they more or less gave me a warning and said if I did it again or if I was late again, "things will escalate". I told them what I said and they said "It doesn't matter either way, you should have called in every day". Then they were saying I should have spoken and not got someone else to speak for me (I literally couldn't talk at all and got my dad to tell them for me) and I told them the situation and they said "Okay, we'll overlook that just this once but in future, it has to be you".

Workplaces aren't very nice to ill people. I mean, I've gone in with a migraine when my head was thumping, I've gone in with a very bad back and a bad leg once and usually, for me to be off work, it would have to absolutely knock me off my feet and that illness did.

Edited by Animal

Yeah work places don't seem to be cool with people taking off time when they are ill. I have taken three days off ill since I started work in April, two days in August and one day in October or something. Now I am only allowed to take sick leave once until August again. If I am off on two different occasions, I will have a meeting with HR. Pffff.

And yeah my work requires me to call every day too, and they ask you to explain what is wrong etc (feels very inquisitive and a bit like they don't believe you), then when you get back you have to sit down with your team leader and answer some questions on a form. It is all a bit ridiculous.

The thing I don't like is the Back to Work interview. It feels a bit intrusive. I got asked my doctor's name and the general address. Felt like "Well, do you need to know that, really?". I gave them a self-certified sick note, that should be good enough. They also know what I'm like, I don't even take holidays because I end up losing money, which I don't want.

I have to call in every day if I'm sick, which is in my contract, so no arguments there. But the treatment when I get back to work is totally different. I have to fill out a quick form that just asks why I was off and then it's done; no interview, probing questions, etc. It's just company culture I guess.

(But I haven't really been ill for ages because running turns you into a machine.)

The best thing about feeling shit/ill though is the day that you feel better again! So wonderful! Had a few bouts of the sickies recently, but now I'm as fit as I were before(which is not very, tbh).

In 2012 I got really really ill twice.

1 of those occasions I was at Disney Land Paris. So that really made me chirpy that weekend.

The 2nd time I was in Lanzarote for a week, which again resulted in a bad few days on holiday.

I seem to get ill when going on Holiday. Not been ill since August Lanzarotte holiday. Next trip abroad is Barcelona in May for a stag doo. I hope to fuck I don't get ill on that trip as I don't like the prospect of a boozy weekend when feeling like shit after the experience in Lanzarote.

I read an article about how you are more likely to fall ill on holiday than in a regular work week. The theory was that as you wind down towards a holiday you to relax and so does your immune system, so you get ill. The solution, therefore, is to live in a constant state of busyness.

Had the flu at the beginning of 2012, but at the end of 2012 , i had a minor cold (blocked nose, headache, sore throat).

Thats basically it, i escaped the worst over the festive break.

I woke up yesterday morning with extreme pain in my back. I couldnt move at first due to pain. Its a bit better today now that im drugged up. Dont know what has caused it though. I just woke up with it :-/

I read an article about how you are more likely to fall ill on holiday than in a regular work week. The theory was that as you wind down towards a holiday you to relax and so does your immune system, so you get ill. The solution, therefore, is to live in a constant state of busyness.

I've read that as well. I usually get sick after a particularly stressful period.

I vouch for this, I always feel really run down the first few days of holiday in between terms.

I generally have a constant cold year round, except during the 6 week holidays and the second week of the 2 week holidays.

I've currently got a really bad cold. I sneezed over 25 times yesterday. The children started counting.

I've got a pretty bad cough now. :(

Haven't exercised for almost two weeks. I feel huge in a bad way and just megashit. The blocked nose has got better, mind.

Yeah but now his illness is creeping up with me too. Got a headache, blocked nose and cough. No birthday shopping/dinner/film for me tonight. =(

Went to bed with a twinge in my back last night, woke up and it was worse. Especially on the right side, couldn't walk normal pace as everytime i put my right foot down paid shot up my back. Feeling better now, still twingy.

Had a bit of a mucus build-up and a runny nose as well, seemed to have vanished now.