NEurope
tapedeck

What HD remakes do you want on Wii U?

HD ports (like the DMC and MGS oens) are so cheap and take so little development that there's have zero impact on a new game. Well, they may generate some extra cash to invest in the new game.

Not to mention that they commonly are performed by external teams. Just look at Perfect Dark, and Banjo Kazooie on XBLA or Lylat Wars and Ocarina for 3DS.

Its probably too soon but I'd love a port of Ocarina 3DS in HD. Also a remake of Mario 64 as Tapedeck mentioned.

I know it's too soon, but I'd have to say Ocarina of Time. I can't really think of any other games other than Maybe Metroid Prime that I'd like to see remade in HD, maybe Mario 64.

Not to mention that they commonly are performed by external teams. Just look at Perfect Dark, and Banjo Kazooie on XBLA or Lylat Wars and Ocarina for 3DS.

To be fair, Star Fox 64 3D was done by Q games. Q Games being Dylan Cuthbert and chums and thus responsible for the the GB game X which inspired the original Star Fox which they then worked on as Argonaut with Jez San. They also made Star Fox Command, although I think repackaged Star Fox 2 as Star Fox Command would be more apt, and now they've done the 64 version in 3D.

They may be third party, but they are very much the Star Fox team or as best as you will likely get. I don't believe Nintendo would ever make the game in house and aside from asking Treasure, Q Games will likely be the team to make a new Star Fox if it ever happens. And if they are working on remakes, they can't be working on original games in the series.

They also made Star Fox Command, although I think repackaged Star Fox 2 as Star Fox Command would be more apt

Star Fox 2 is nothing like Star Fox Command, and is a million times better.

Star Fox 2 is nothing like Star Fox Command, and is a million times better.

Then Star Fox Command must be terrible as Star Fox 2 isn't much fun at all.

But everything I've seen of Command looks so similar in style - from charting your position on a world map and intercepting enemies attacking the great fox which in turn leads to levels that take place in completely empty arenas where you have time limits to shot your enemies.

SF2 is pretty boring and has little in common with the play style to the first with all the levels being square arenas with 3 bases you have to shoot to open up a final one that sees you walk inside and shoot the core. Every level feels the same.

I see Command also "borrowed" the idea to give the crew individual designs for the Arwings and to then give them individual stats for speed, shields, smart bomb capacity, laser type, charge speed, etc, also featured in SF2.

I'm not sure how someone could say the games are nothing alike and keep a straight face.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Monolith-Soft-Wii-U.jpg

*quick photoshop*

Basically... :p

xenoblade2.jpg

As crude as it is, I prefer it already. VIBRANCY!

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles would translate so well to the WiiU in HD. The graphics were already gorgeous on the gamecube, and 3DS's + the gamepad could be used for the GBA connectivity.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles would translate so well to the WiiU in HD. The graphics were already gorgeous on the gamecube, and 3DS's + the gamepad could be used for the GBA connectivity.

Now this is a wonderful idea! You win this thread...

Why was Pac-Man Vs. not a launch day eShop game?

Because Nintendo screwed up the launch in so many ways doing something which is so obvious was bound to be overlooked.

I don't really believe anything 128 onwards needs to be remade... Nintendo (and the other companies) should just make sure that their new machines would run old backwards compatible games in HD. The games don't need a single change, they just need to played in HD which essentially makes any game that's come out ever since the 6th gen's started look incredible. The PCSX2 and Dolphin are evidence enough.

For reference:

(bear in mind this is an unaltered game from 1999... the only thing that was changed was the resolution it's running in, this emu is still in development as is evident by the constant glitching, but it shows just how much a res bump does to clean up a game).

(NGC launch game, remember?)

As a comparison point:

Hell, if I'm being honest, ever since I got my current high-end PC I played most non-online Wii games on the Dolphin. They all look incredible. Here's what my Xenoblade looked like:

So in essence, the only gen to really need remakes is the 5th gen... The 4th gen's games remain as relevant and playable nowadays, and 95% of the games that came out in gens 1-3 are basically proto-gaming. I still think the jump to 3D was made way too soon. The 3D N64 games looked great but the PS1/Saturn ones look terrible and even at the time I always thought they looked shitty as fuck. The 32 bit consoles should have been 2D consoles, and that's that (imo, obviously).

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

The 3D N64 games looked great but the PS1/Saturn ones look terrible and even at the time I always thought they looked shitty as fuck. The 32 bit consoles should have been 2D consoles, and that's that (imo, obviously).

I totally agree with this. The PS1 and Saturn just weren't quite capable of 3D and when they did do it right (Resident Evil) it was due to the pre-rendered backgrounds at a fixed angle.

Four Swords Adventure also needs to get it's ass on the eShop!

And how is that going to work when multiplayer required a GBA for each person? That's up to 5 screens required when you only have one TV and currently one gamepad - with max support for 2.

I guess if they could leverage the 3DS in some way to help get around that, or online play, but in both cases, it's going to take some work and it will still be a pain to set up locally as it will require multiple 3DSs.

I totally agree with this. The PS1 and Saturn just weren't quite capable of 3D and when they did do it right (Resident Evil) it was due to the pre-rendered backgrounds at a fixed angle.

I hated the way RE1 looked, actually... =P

Now, RE2 on the other hand looked great. At least on the N64, it did.

Btw, they should give the REmake treatment to RE2. Only this time, fix the damn tank controls and make them optional... please?

Btw, they should give the REmake treatment to RE2. Only this time, fix the damn tank controls and make them optional... please?

A recent Capcom survey, which I posted a link to in a different thread, did ask the question of would you buy a remake of Resident Evil 2 done like the GC remake of the first.

It also asked if you would buy a new Street Fighter Alpha game based of off 3 so looks like a couple of peoples wishes (including my own for a new Alpha game) may come true.

Eternal Darkness definitely.

More of an update than a remake: Pokémon Snap. Much more potential now.

Random peek at my collection - Lost Kingdoms 1 & 2.

Eternal Darkness definitely.

See I think this is the perfect example of this rampant remake mentality. The game has aged fine. Gave it a spin with Dolphin a few months ago and it's still just as awesome as ever. What's the point in remaking it if there isn't anything to really improve other than the graphics?

See I think this is the perfect example of this rampant remake mentality. The game has aged fine. Gave it a spin with Dolphin a few months ago and it's still just as awesome as ever. What's the point in remaking it if there isn't anything to really improve other than the graphics?

And why a remake, when you could MAKE A SEQUEL TO SUCH AN AMAZING GAME? : o Honestly, I just don't get this "please sell me the same old games again and again with a new coat of paint" mentality... o_O

Because, by today's standards, the game is incredibly clunky and the Dolphin emulator doesn't hide it's N64 origins (the graphics weren't considered good when it first game out).

There isn't much chance of a sequel so having the same story, up-to-date graphics, redesigned gameplay and lots more sanity effects would be the next best thing.

And why a remake, when you could MAKE A SEQUEL TO SUCH AN AMAZING GAME? : o Honestly, I just don't get this "please sell me the same old games again and again with a new coat of paint" mentality... o_O

A different developer can do a faithful remake. With Slicon Knights pretty much dead (less than 5 members of staff and Denis Dyack has humiliated himself in the industry), it's difficult to know how a sequel would turn out.

See I think this is the perfect example of this rampant remake mentality. The game has aged fine.

The same could be said for Wind Waker. And that's moving away from the cel-shaded appearance for no reason. I think Eternal Darkness could look rather nice with a bit of polish on it.

The same could be said for Wind Waker. And that's moving away from the cel-shaded appearance for no reason. I think Eternal Darkness could look rather nice with a bit of polish on it.

I'm not saying it wouldn't look nice... it just seems like a waste of resources when they could be exploring new material.

Once again, the same could be said for Wind Waker. But I do agree with what you're saying, they could be spending time, money and resources on far more productive projects.