NEurope
bob

Citizenship test.

So they're changing the citizenship test to be allowed to stay in the UK again.

You can try out some of the questions here.

I passed with flying colours (minus just the one flying colour), and got 9/10

It's definitely easier than the outgoing one i think, but i'm not entriely sure that knowing these sort of things are entirely necessary to live here. I've always thought it weird that people need to know patriotic tidbits in order to be a citizen, and think that it would be more useful for them to know more day to day things that would help in everyday life.

What do you peoples think? Can anyone beat my level of Britishness?

I got confused by the second largest party in parliament. I thought it might be House of Lords, as combined they might have more members than the Opposition. I don't really know politics.

I actually did this test yesterday and got 3 wrong (forgot which ones, oops).

I am not sure I see the point in some of those questions, but then I guess it is just trying to raise some cultural awareness. Apparently the previous test focused too much on day to day stuff like how gas meters work, how to use the internet etc. Which might be useful to people who have never used those things before, but I would imagine most people would know about these things (especially if they have lived here for 5 years, which I think is how long you have to live here before you can take the test).

Anyway, I thought some of the questions were a bit silly to ask, but then that's just me. And I am not sure if I am ever going to apply for citizenship unless someone can convince me it is beneficial. =P

Only got 4 :p No UK membership for me then.

Got the first and second right. I did suspect the third was union jack since I just an hour ago read about the Union Jack flag in Australia. 4 and 5 I had no clue. 6 was correct obviously and I was unsure of 7th. I know it was on the news and it had to be over 50(longest ruling monarch) For the 8th I was thinking of the House of Lords, the ones that get their title by birth. 9 was a complete guess. The 10th I remember from school and/or news articles.

The questions might sound silly, but I think it's necessary to to learn some basics about culture, history and politics. All those writers, historical figures and happening, art periods and a lot of other boring stuff you learned about in school that you don't need for absolutely anything later in life, it's kinda nice to know anyway, they're one of the many tiny parts that has formed/forms the country as it is today. Even if you don't need that knowledge for your work doesn't mean you have to be completely ignorant for everything else.

The questions might sound silly, but I think it's necessary to to learn some basics about culture, history and politics. All those writers, historical figures and happening, art periods and a lot of other boring stuff you learned about in school that you don't need for absolutely anything later in life, it's kinda nice to know anyway, they're one of the many tiny parts that has formed/forms the country as it is today. Even if you don't need that knowledge for your work doesn't mean you have to be completely ignorant for everything else.

Thing is I know quite a few people who live here in the UK who don't know about most of those cultural aspects. =P

I have studied quite a bit about the UK's history and culture in the past during my courses (mostly art related), but I don't think that is going to improve my standard of living here. No one seems to care about that sort of stuff in daily life. =P

I got the age for jury service wrong...

1600766-ffffuuuu.jpg

...so 9/10.

My friend took the test and I could barely answer any of his practice questions. I guess that's the outgoing one. This seems much easier and equally as pointless.

Alarmingly I only got 7/10.

I didn't know the Saint of Scotland Question, The Opposition and Age to be called to Jury duty.

Deport me now I guess.

I guessed the jury one, but how can you not know the Saint of Scotland!? Even by a process of elimination it's pretty obvious isn't it?

10/10 and I've not lived in the UK for nearly 6 years...

Yes because bar the Olympics the questions are based on the events of the past 6 years in this country.

I didn't know the Saint of Scotland Question

I knew the other three saints (Wales, England and Guinness) so it was easy.

I got the person who chairs the meeting one wrong.

I guessed the jury one, but how can you not know the Saint of Scotland!? Even by a process of elimination it's pretty obvious isn't it?

Ehh I guess. it was 50/50 with David or Andrew.

Did no one wonder where they got the name for the town St. Andrews from? You know the place with the elite University and of course where it all started for Wills and Kate.

Which is in Scotland of course.

Did no one wonder where they got the name for the town St. Andrews from? You know the pace with the elite University and of course where it all started for Wills and Kate.

I've never heard of that place.

10/10 in about 10 seconds. Would love to see some of these for other countries as I bet I'd fail those.

I've never heard of that place.

I can't be sure if you mean St. Andrews or in fact Scotland, so let Wikipedia help you out.

Wikipedia reference-linkSt_Andrews

Wikipedia reference-linkScotland

You're joking right? :hmm:

I thought the Commonwealth Games was just a fancy title for the olympics so avoided the paralympics which for some reason I thought was a trick question :cry:

Wrong went:

-Patron Saint of Scotland (knew the Irish / Nigerian one, other than that no idea)

-second largest party in HoC (answered too hastily, it says "in HoC"...)

-chair in the House of Commons (no idea, might as well be called "the chairdriver")

7/10

Well you get bonus points for knowing the patron saint of Nigeria.

Is it St Kanu?

Well you get bonus points for knowing the patron saint of Nigeria.

Is it St Kanu?

It's the "Very Generous Nigerian Ex-General With A Million Dollars On His Bank Account".

I think if you want to do a practice run of the old test, you can do it here:

http://www.ukcitizenshiptest.co.uk/

That one seems even more ridiculous and pointless. No clue how some of those questions would contribute to a better integration into UK society.