NEurope
Retro_Link

Marvel's Phase Three

Just got back after seeing it, really enjoyed it.

Spoiler

A few things.

Despite knowing that Mysterio is a villain before the movie started, I was almost convinced he was a good guy until we see whats really going on. It was almost a shame when it was revealed he was lying the while time, as he and spidey seemed great as a team before that lol.

I really liked the scene with Mysterio using his hologram tech to mess around with Peter. I especially liked seeing a smashed up Iron man suit crawling out of a grave to try and attack Spider-man.

I also liked the Iron Man murals you could see in the background every so often

The first post credit scene was pretty cool. its great to see J k simmon's playing J Jonah Jameson again, just as nature intended. And I noticed the video of him looked similar to Alex Jones/Info wars internet show, which is a really funny take on the character. And the reveal to the world who Spider-man really is was unexpected.

I was confused about the final scene, most probably because I've not seen Captain Marvel yet. I understood it as, Nick Fury and Maria Hill were Krill all throughout the movie. I wasn't sure if this meant they had always been krill since we've seen them in previous movies or it was just Krill for the events of this one. An the real Nick Fury is on a Krill spaceship somewhere?

Couple of negative things for me:

Some of the humor falls flat for me. I don't find much of what Parker's friends do, all that funny.

MJ doesn't ever come over as particularly likeable, so its difficult to see what Parker sees in her.

The ending didn't seem that eventual to me. As impressive as the CGI was, the novelty of seeing a city get torn and blown up had worn off a little, because it had happened a few times in the film by that point.

And maybe the final showdown with Mysterio at the very end wasn't anything special as ultimately he is just a guy in a motion capture suit. Maybe that's fine though, I'm still undecided.

Edited by Helmsly

Just got back from seeing Spider-Man. I thought it was ok but not great. I feel like I prefer this version of Spider-Man in Russo brother movies compared to his own standalone ones.

A lot of stuff announced at San Diego Comic Con just now:

D_9nuCUUYAAQUXX.jpg

Eternals, SHANG-CHI, Thor 4, Back Widow and Doctor Strange 2 are all movies.

Hawkeye, WandaVision, Loki and Falcon & Winter Solider are series exclusive to Disney+

Marvel's What If...?  is an animated series exclusive to Disney+, will feature the voices of actors from different MCU movies and shows.

D_9pZBvW4AczFaA.jpg

They also announced X-men, Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel 2 and Blank Panther 2 are in development

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hmm. Probably won't watch many of them, the characters are just not that great.

That genunely made me LOL. Oversaturation clearly not a word in the Marvel universe.

Should this not become a phase 4 thread now?

Hearing there's going to be another Thor film by Taika Waititi made my day.  I adore Ragnarok.

2 hours ago, Grazza said:

Hearing there's going to be another Thor film by Taika Waititi made my day.  I adore Ragnarok.

Yeah, that's great news. Even though

Spoiler

Thor steps down so that Jane can become female Thor. I hope Portman can pull it off as well as Hemsworth. 

16 hours ago, Helmsly said:

Eternals, SHANG-CHI, Thor 4, Black Widow and Doctor Strange 2 are all movies.

Hawkeye, WandaVision, Loki and Falcon & Winter Solider are series exclusive to Disney+

Marvel's What If...?  is an animated series exclusive to Disney+, will feature the voices of actors from different MCU movies and shows.

The only one i'm not looking forward to out of that list is The Eternals but that is purely because I know nothing about them. Everything else i'm on board for. I'm especially excited for the What If? series. I used to love that comic and it was a great way to add some crazy twists and turns to characters that you know and love. They could get a lot of mileage out of that if done correctly.

I'm not sure about this one. The first Blade film is iconic ( that opening dance club scene :heart: ) and Wesley Snipes commanded that role. They had better keep it a 15/18 rating otherwise they shouldn't even bother.

They also announced X-men, Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel 2 and Blank Panther 2 are in development

YAY! :bouncy:  I can't wait to see what they do with the X-Men franchise. So many possibilities...

giphy.gif

I'm not really fussed about Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2. These are both my least favourite of the Marvel movies.

If there's any justice in this world they'll get Gareth Evans to do Shang-Chi. That movie needs actual martial arts action, not just Hollywood action. 

Overjoyed Taika is back as well. Thor 3 is one of my favorites.

22 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Yeah, that's great news. Even though

Endgame spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

Thor steps down so that Jane can become female Thor. I hope Portman can pull it off as well as Hemsworth. 

Oh, I see. (Reads up on the film...) it actually sounds terrible!

I don't thin Portman will be a replacement, i cannot see it, she's hardly reliable for the franchise so they won't pin all hopes on her from a purely business standpoint

I can see it being a case of them both being Thor for a time

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Shouldn't there be a Phase 4 thread by now?

You could always just make one if you want one.

z7yonj0u4kq31.png

Marvel finally announced the Inifinty Saga boxset. I was originally planning on getting it but $550 for that just doesn't seem worth it.

I wonder if they'll release a version without any of the bullshit. I don't want a fucking lithograph or a (photocopied) letter from Kevin Feige.

3 hours ago, bob said:

I wonder if they'll release a version without any of the bullshit. I don't want a fucking lithograph or a (photocopied) letter from Kevin Feige.

@bob this is downright spartan for a special boxset. A litograph and letter won't raise the price significantly. Compare it to the plastic you get with the previous phase boxsets.

As for me.. I lost interest in collecting these on blu-ray.. There are too many of them. I also preferred the coverart on the blu-rays from the phase boxsets. Plus I hate boxsets of a series of films when there's more coming.