NEurope
Retro_Link

Marvel's Phase Three

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

If I remember right we got Antman and the Wasp 2 weeks after the US at the cinema as well so not much of a trade-off.

Didn't that have something to do with the World Cup as well as the release of the second Incredibles movie?

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Didn't that have something to do with the World Cup as well as the release of the second Incredibles movie?

I think so but I cant remember if that was just assumptions from fans or not.

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

If I remember right we got Antman and the Wasp 2 weeks after the US at the cinema as well so not much of a trade-off.

Actually, four weeks after the US — incidentally, it releases today. However, we were originally supposed to get it a week earlier than them; it supposedly got delayed due to the World Cup. It’s what also delayed the Incredibles 2 for us. 

Us getting Marvel and Lucasfilm movies later than them is the exception as opposed to the rule, but I agree: getting the films on home media two to four weeks after them is a strange trade-off. Probably has something to do with us being a smaller territory, so they focus on a domestic (US) release first, or something along those lines. 

The problem these days is that it just encourages piracy. So many people have Kodi or alternatives so streaming pirated movies is even simpler than it used to be. Releasing the movie elsewhere first just means that those people will be able to watch the bluray quality version now through that streaming and then not bother purchasing/renting it later when it comes here.

• Like 1

Saw Ant Man last night. It's pretty good! The best part was the mid credits scene though!

Caught up with the first Ant Man on DVD then watched the sequel in the cinema yesterday. I was surprised how good they are, the trailers didn't really do them justice. One thing the new film reminded me of was how much Marvel movies I've missed...

Spoiler

Some adventure with Captain America had happened in between the two movies, so I hadn't completely prepared by just watching the original. And then the scene in the credits with everyone disappearing, so I guess Ant Man will be in the big movie next year and other movies probably also link to this. 

I've seen the original Iron Man, then everything in the last year or so. But there's a big gap where I've missed almost everything else. What's the best way for me to catch up? All the DVD/Blu Rays seem to have Nintendo style never dropping prices. Is there any streaming service that would be cheaper?

4 hours ago, Mandalore said:

I've seen the original Iron Man, then everything in the last year or so. But there's a big gap where I've missed almost everything else. What's the best way for me to catch up? All the DVD/Blu Rays seem to have Nintendo style never dropping prices. Is there any streaming service that would be cheaper?

My advice would be to not shop for them individually. If you search for “Marvel Phase One DVD Collection”, and then exchange “One” for “Two”, you can currently find both Phases complete for less than £30 on Amazon, possibly even cheaper elsewhere. I highlight the DVD version of the collection specifically, because, as you can imagine, the Blu-Ray variant is still in high demand, despite having been sold out since release; it really shows the full extent of the Nintendo-like valuations that you talk about — I’ve seen plenty of them floating about for over £200, and they originally had an RRP of £35. Even if you’re interested in getting them on Blu-Ray specifically, if value is what you’re going for, I’d recommend getting the DVD variation just for now, because I think we’ll see a reprint of Phase One and Phase Two along with the release of the complete Phase Three some time next year (and probably a complete Phase One - Three Collection too). 

I don’t really use streaming services, so I wouldn’t be too sure there, but I was using Netflix a couple of months ago and it only had three MCU films, if I recall correctly. 

Amazon and HMV frequently have offers for MCU films, so that could be worth checking out, and, if you’re not too bothered by the second hand market, I think CeX could really help you out here, too :) 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Thanks 1

Brieeeeeeeeee ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

hyped

Looks quite interesting, will most likely watch that one in the cinema. :)

But... Samuel L. Jackson now plays himself 35 years younger?? What a man...

Uh...depending on how you want to read this, Chris is either just immensely grateful, or immensely grateful and retiring from the role of Cap.

We have known for some time that Avengers 4 was the last film that his current contract required him to fulfil the role for, and also that Chris has been talking about hanging up the shield for quite a while now.
Edited by Julius Caesar

Chris Evans was an awesome Cap and I hope he gets to shine in the next film.  Is he the only one who's retired though?  I always assumed all the original Avengers would at the end of Phase 3.  It'd be a shame for Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo to stop though, as they still seem really keen on-screen.  Thor has almost made Phase 3 his own.

Another thing - is there a team that could have Thor, Doctor Strange and Hulk in it?  I was watching the extras on one of the Blu-rays (think it was Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2) and they implied they were building a team for when it's not technically "Avengers" any more.

8 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Chris Evans was an awesome Cap and I hope he gets to shine in the next film.  Is he the only one who's retired though?  I always assumed all the original Avengers would at the end of Phase 3.  It'd be a shame for Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo to stop though, as they still seem really keen on-screen.  Thor has almost made Phase 3 his own.

I think Renner is more than likely on his way out as Hawkeye - he’s seemed tired of the role since promoting Age of Ultron - so I expect this to be his last hurrah, and I would have to imagine that this will be RDJ’s swan song in the red and gold of Iron Man, too. But I could easily see the other half of the original six sticking around in some capacity.

I’m more surprised by the fact that they’ve let Evans say what he said on Twitter in the first place - which I still think could be taken one of two ways - especially if this is going to be his last film as Cap. It could effectively kill a lot of the tension around the character’s fate in the same way that announcing contract renewals of major cast members months prior to Age of Ultron destroyed a lot of the tension going into that film, too. 

Edited by Julius Caesar

Does anyone have an idea on when the phase 3 complete set is due out on dvd? I have phase 1 + 2 sets, with phase 3 they seem to be doing a part 1 and 2, I was hoping part 2 would come fairly soon, but considering some of the films that are going to be coming out for it won't be released till next year I'm thinking around the 2020 mark - but is there any official news?
I missed black panther/ infinity war (didn't fancy hearing the french dubbed versions!) but the individual dvd's are pretty extortionate here (most films are in general) and I quite like the multi-film collections anyway...

Phase 2 took ages to come out as a complete set after all the film's had been released individually. This one will probably be the same.

I'm assuming they want as many people to relent and buy them each singularly, rather than wait for the boxset.

• Thanks 1

thought so. Well we're working our way through phase 1 and 2, I guess we'll just make it last! we have plenty of other films to keep us entertained in the meanwhile I guess!

Deadline are reporting that Marvel Studios are planning to make Shang-Chi, originally created and introduced in 1973 by writer Steve Englehart and artist Jim Starlin, the first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. 

Marvel Studios is fast-tracking Shang-Chi to be its first superhero movie tentpole franchise with an Asian protagonist. The studio has set Chinese-American scribe Dave Callaham to write the screenplay, and Deadline hears Marvel is already looking at a number of Asian and Asian-American directors who want to do something as potentially monumental as was accomplished in Marvel’s first viable Best Picture candidate, Black Panther. That film tied into African and African American cultures and the sensibilities of its nearly all-black cast, with a black director in Ryan Coogler and writer in Joe Robert Cole. The goal here is to do a similar thing: introduce a new hero who blends Asian and Asian American themes, crafted by Asian and Asian American filmmakers.

[...]

Callaham has strong credentials in the superhero and franchise-building realms and his own experiences as a Chinese-American will inform the Shang-Chi movie mythology, sources said. His recent work includes co-writing with Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns the upcoming DC Warner Bros sequel Wonder Woman 1984, and he is writing Sony’s animated Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2. He also wrote initial drafts of Zombieland 2,which begins production in January, and created and produced Amazon’s recent action comedy series Jean-Claude Van Johnson, starring Jean- Claude Van Damme. Callaham also created the Expendables franchise as well as the story for the Legendary’s Godzilla reboot.

He’s got two comedies at Netflix: Callaham wrote the Black List-ed dark comedy caper script Jackpot, which Will Gluck will direct; and he wrote and is producing with Channing Tatum, Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, and Archer’s Adam Reed and Matt Thompson, the animated comedy America: The Motion Picture. Thompson is directing.

Shang-Chi first appeared in Special Marvel Edition #15 in December 1973, hatched by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin. The script will modernize the hero to avoid stereotypes that many comic characters of that era were saddled with. The comic launched around the time that Enter the Dragon became a global sensation and martial arts films raged. In the comics, Shang-Chi is the son of China-based globalist who raised and educated his progeny in his reclusive China compound, closed off to the outside world. The son trained in the martial arts and developed unsurpassed skills. He is eventually introduced to the outside world to do his father’s bidding, and then has to come to grips with the fact his revered father might not be the humanitarian he has claimed to be and is closer to what others call him: The Devil’s Doctor. He also might be centuries old. The deceit makes them bitter enemies.

Very interesting, and considering how much money Black Panther helped the Mouse pocket, I wouldn’t be surprised if this performed amazingnly in Asia. The fact that they’re fast-tracking this to me suggests that they might even be targeting a release around the time of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1