NEurope
Retro_Link

Marvel's Phase Three

Infinity War will reportedly have a runtime of 2 hours and 36 minutes, which would make it the longest MCU entry to date.

• Like 1

A formal invitation to...

...GET HYPED. 34/35 DAYS (depending on where you’ll be in the world come release) AND COUNTING

How would you rank the MCU films to date? And do you expect Infinity War to crush a box office record or two? 

• Like 1

Two spots with some new footage of Infinity War from this weekend’s Halo Tournament (timestamped). 

Love the first one’s use of a singer for a chilling take on then Avengers theme, and the second one for Tony’s interaction with Peter. 

Not long to go now :D 

Also, probably worth mentioning that Black Panther has passed the first Avengers to become the highest grossing MCU movie in America, and, by the end of this weekend, should be the third highest grossing comic book movie to date worldwide (behind Avengers and Age of Ultron). I don’t think anyone saw that coming...

Edited by Julius Caesar

Black Panther is the highest grossing comic book adaptation to date in the US, after crossing the $630 million line this weekend. 

I wonder how long that record will remain...

Also worth noting that it’s the highest grossing comic book adaptation solo outing, as it just passed Iron Man 3 with $1.237 billion worldwide.

Edited by Julius Caesar

18 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

We have Ronan the Accuser. Coulson is back (this is set in the 90’s, so don’t anyone go getting hyped up for an Avengers-Coulson reunion :blank:). And we have Jude Law as Mar-Vell. Oh, and Ben-flipping-Mendelsohn. 

This film has a stellar cast. I’m really looking forward to seeing how it sets up Avengers 4; considering that this is a key piece in setting up that film, and is the final film to be released before it (next March, if I recall correctly), and that we’re unlikely to see Carol Denvers in Infinity War (and that she’s nowhere to be seen in the MCU to date), I have to wonder: is she off trying to find help (like an Adam Warlock-shaped kind of help?).

Edited by Julius Caesar

6 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Next week!

Bought my tickets for a 2D screening on the 25th today!

But..

Hawkeye better be in it though. Otherwise I'm going to demand a refund.

• Haha 1

Which movies should I watch if I want to be able to follow and enjoy Infinity War?

And please don't say: All the Marvel movies. There are like 800 of them...I have no time for that.

20 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Which movies should I watch if I want to be able to follow and enjoy Infinity War?

And please don't say: All the Marvel movies. There are like 800 of them...I have no time for that.

Hmmm, let’s see.

Thor 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Avengers, Dr Strange, Age of Ultron all deal with the Infinity Stones and Civil War is a good one setting up the current state of things in the MCU.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Have you not seen any of them? Seems a bit nuts that it's only now that you are deciding to catch up on them, what with Infinity War being released in a couple of days.

Yeah I mean to be fair the ones I listed aren’t even necessarily the best ones. You really should watch them all in a massive marathon :p 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Have you not seen any of them? Seems a bit nuts that it's only now that you are deciding to catch up on them, what with Infinity War being released in a couple of days.

I've seen the Iron Man movies, the first Avengers movie, the first Captain America movie, Deadpool and I think that's it. I've  wanted to catch up on them for a long time, but there are so many...

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah I mean to be fair the ones I listed aren’t even necessarily the best ones. You really should watch them all in a massive marathon :p 

Maybe I will, but not anytime soon :D

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

All of the films @Happenstance listed + Captain America: The Winter Soldier (additional context for Civil War if you plan on watching it, which I’d recommend - both are great films) and Thor: Ragnarok (which very literally sets up where I imagine Infinity War will begin?). I’d also add in Iron Man 3, because of the context it adds to Tony’s arc in both Age of Ultron and Civil War, and probably Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 too so that you’re caught up with that side of things

So, my recommended potential trimmed viewing order (to give a bit more context/have you up-to-date on characters goings-on, in addition to what @Happenstance outlines as the most direct way to be caught up on the Infinity Stones) would be:

1. The Avengers 

2. Iron Man 3

3. Thor: The Dark World

4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

5. Guardians of the Galaxy

6. Avengers: Age of Ultron

7. Captain America: Civil War

8. Doctor Strange

9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

10. Thor: Ragnarok

Better get started :p 

• Thanks 1

Ah well...at least I have a "few" movies to watch...

Yeah...better get started :D
Maybe I'll be done in time for Infinity War's Blu-Ray release .

giphy.gif

Edited by drahkon

25 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Ah well...at least I have a "few" movies to watch...

Yeah...better get started :D
Maybe I'll be done in time for Infinity War's Blu-Ray release .

giphy.gif

Yeah, that’s got to be ~22 hours or so of film :D 

I’d certainly personally recommend watching all of those films to give context to where everything and everyone is at in Infinity War, but, if the big pull to the MCU right now for you is Infinity War, and you would only want to watch those movies as set-up for Infinity War...I think an argument could also be made to just go see Infinity War without the context of the other films (to avoid spoilers, to be in on the conversation and to experience an audience at fever pitch).

It wouldn’t be my personal go-to recommendation, but I do feel like it’s worth throwing out there as an option, because that’s a lot of film to get through without having the biggest film since TFA spoiled for you in some way (probably in some comment section online, let’s be honest). If it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to get through all of them in a short window (within the next week or two) without feeling burned out, you could always go see Infinity War this weekend, watch the films in the recommended viewing order, and catch Infinity War in the cinema/on Blu-Ray again afterwards. 

It’s definitely not the way I’d recommend going about it, but hey, it’s always another option worth considering ::shrug:

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1