NEurope
Retro_Link

Marvel's Phase Three

Going against the general vibe, I thought Thor was not a good film. Completely under-baked villain...which is a shame because Hela had – on paper – a great back story, and good motivation...except she has no one to talk to because her parents are both dead, and her two brothers are off somewhere else for most the film... so it's just her and Judge Dredd... who is unlikeable from the start for his incompetence and goes out on some weird...heroic act that was done for no other benefit of the audience. Because no one else is there to morn his death (not to mention all of Thor's friends who get killed at the start, apparently Thor isn't bothered about their deaths).
Also, how POORLY characterised is Loki in this? He's shown to be super astute, a true trickster a manipulator, and yet he leaves a moronic Judge Dredd as his doorman and is acting like an utter goof when Thor turns up. What was his end game? Am I meant to believe he managed to replace Odin and take the thrown of Asgard for the sole purpose of acting like an idiot? 

The Collector was...underwhelming, unintimidating, and under developed. The music...was almost great at points, but mostly unremarkable. Some of the visuals were absolutely superb, like the Valkyrie memory bit but those bits were all too short.
I didn't think it was an especially bad film (until I start thinking harder about it), but I'll say probably the most damning thing I can say about any film.... It was boring.
I actually agree with most of your points, just none of them detracted from me having a good time watching the film.

Regarding Loki though, he is the God of Mischief, so I guess he doesn't really have an end game. He seems to struggle through most of the previous films, not knowing whether to be good or bad, and it seems that when he does follow through with a plan, he doesn't really know what to do next.

• Like 1

I have been watching all of the MCU movies in order (I'm hoping) and I'm really into them. I've loved them all except for Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3. Age of Ultron was just weirdly boring. It had the action but everything else was quite bland. Loved Scarlet Witch though. Iron Man 3 just wasn't my cup of tea at all.

I need a Black Widow origin movie. She seems to have the most going on in her past and yet no movie??? Black Panther is awesome and I'm looking forward to his movie. Guardians Vol. 2 was good but Yondu was my favourite character so -_- haha.

I'm on Doctor Strange now and then Spiderman Homecoming next week when I get money to buy the Blu-ray!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Animal said:

I have been watching all of the MCU movies in order (I'm hoping) and I'm really into them. I've loved them all except for Age of Ultron and Iron Man 3. Age of Ultron was just weirdly boring. It had the action but everything else was quite bland. Loved Scarlet Witch though. Iron Man 3 just wasn't my cup of tea at all.

Yeah, I didn't like Iron Man 3 at all.  As for Age of Ultron, I liked some of the individual scenes, but it does have this odd, strangely dull feel to the whole thing.

Yeah, I didn't like Iron Man 3 at all.  As for Age of Ultron, I liked some of the individual scenes, but it does have this odd, strangely dull feel to the whole thing.
Iron Man 3 was boring compared to the last two. They had a better story. 3 was just seriously lame. Civil War was great. I've loved all of the Captain America films but unexpectedly, I enjoyed Thor's movies the most followed very closely by Guardians.

Like I said, I need a Black Widow movie to be made. It would be amazing in the right hands. She's had this awesome past (arguably the most interesting character out of the Avengers) and yet they've done nothing about it. It's a crying shame.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

All the good scenes I thought were in Ultron turned out to be in Civil War instead. 

Anywho, I noticed that they've started selling a boxset of Phase 2 in Tesco, which is nice. Not sure why it took them so long to make one though.

Looking good! Really putting it up for something epic.

This was supposed to be a 2-part movie that was reduced to one part so I guess the Thanos storyline will be completed here?

15 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Looking good! Really putting it up for something epic.

This was supposed to be a 2-part movie that was reduced to one part so I guess the Thanos storyline will be completed here?

No, it's still a "2 part movie". The 4th Avenger film was filmed back top back, and will be released in 2019. Presumably it will deal with the aftermath of whatever happens in this one.

HYPE

• Like 1

Yeah, I was about to edit my response. Seems that the fourth movie just lost the title and will, as you say, deal with the aftermath or just continue the story.

THEY FINALLY FOCUSED ON ESTABLISHING A MUSICAL THEME IN A TRAILER. I can die happy now. It’s about time!

Trailer looks fantastic. I’m not too sure what else there is to say, if I’m honest.

Though, I guess I’m a little surprised that they only teased the Guardians of the Galaxy at the end, as opposed to, say, Adam Warlock or someone/thing like that (then again, he’d probably pop in around the end of this film or in its sequel), seeing as we learned that they were in the film ages ago. 

HYPE.

Edited by Julius Caesar

Very hyped for this. Sitting here listening to the Avengers soundtrack, started re-reading Infinity Gauntlet and I think I'm gonna have to watch the first Avengers movie again tonight!

Pure speculation, but what does everyone think about this?

Avengers: Infinity Wareveryone dies. Except for one man...

Avengers 4 — ...Doctor Strange. He has the Time Stone, and so he turns back time to assemble the Avengers earlier (could make for some strange scenes, seeing events and their aftermaths, such as the Battle of NY, play out differently) at the end of Infinity War.

The first half of the film sets up a Majora’s Mask sort of vibe, racing against the clock and doing everything perfectly to assemble the Avengers before Thanos arrives, whereas the latter half of the film has them taking him on (and, presumably, defeating him?).

The Avengers can then disassemble and go their separate ways, seeing as they’ve won the day, before perhaps some other villain is teased for Phase Four (or beyond)?

31 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Pure speculation, but what does everyone think about this?

Avengers: Infinity Wareveryone dies. Except for one man...

Avengers 4 — ...Doctor Strange. He has the Time Stone, and so he turns back time to assemble the Avengers earlier (could make for some strange scenes, seeing events and their aftermaths, such as the Battle of NY, play out differently) at the end of Infinity War.

The first half of the film sets up a Majora’s Mask sort of vibe, racing against the clock and doing everything perfectly to assemble the Avengers before Thanos arrives, whereas the latter half of the film has them taking him on (and, presumably, defeating him?).

The Avengers can then disassemble and go their separate ways, seeing as they’ve won the day, before perhaps some other villain is teased for Phase Four (or beyond)?

Infinity War will almost certainly end with their defeat, but I personally think Thanos will have all the stones by the end of the film.  It's about 20 years since I read the book, and he will seem invincible for sure, but there must be an Achilles' heel even when he has all of them.

43 minutes ago, Grazza said:

Infinity War will almost certainly end with their defeat, but I personally think Thanos will have all the stones by the end of the film.  It's about 20 years since I read the book, and he will seem invincible for sure, but there must be an Achilles' heel even when he has all of them.

If I recall, literally his own overconfidence is responsible for his death in the Infinity Gauntlet arc, and I personally can’t see them going through with that route here.

I mean, perhaps they’ve nerfed the Gauntlet in this version? He literally wiped out half of the sentient beings in the galaxy just by clicking his fingers when he assembled the Gauntlet in the comics...

18 “secret” films have been mentioned to be in the works in an interview, beyond those already announced for after Phase 3’s completion (i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 4, a sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming, etc.).

This train ain’t ever gonna stop.

On the topic of trains never stopping, Deadline is reporting that the Disney/FOX merger could be completed within a matter of days. Which would be great news for Deadpool, apparently...

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

18 “secret” films have been mentioned to be in the works in an interview, beyond those already announced for after Phase 3’s completion (i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 4, a sequel to Spider-Man: Homecoming, etc.).

This train ain’t ever gonna stop.

That sounds like another three-phaser.  Wow!  Would be surprising if they keep the same actors for that long, although I suppose it's what everybody wants.

Didn't really enjoy that trailer. I don't think I'll watch the movie when it comes - didn't enjoy Ant-Man that much so will wait for it to hit Netflix - or Disney's own service or wherever it's going to be available.

Just watched and really enjoyed Thor: Ragnarok.

I'll start by saying I'm in the tiny minority who disliked Guardians of the Galaxy.  I thought it was full of unlikeable characters and forced humour.  Unfortunately, Thor: Ragnarok has copied this approach, and it's evident right from the beginning when he's trapped by Surtur.  There's a time for humour and a time when you need to believe in the characters - Thor: Ragnarok needed more of the latter.  Comedy is great, but it's only funny if it naturally arises from the situation.

That said, I did find two moments hilarious:

Spoiler

Korg: "Piss off, ghost!"

(Made funnier by the fact it followed Tom Hiddleston's excellent acting.)

Spoiler

When the Hulk attacked Surtur.

But I don't want to be too negative, because I absolutely loved the story.  Cate Blanchett was so sexy, she almost burnt my TV screen!  And whilst the theme of the film was basically the same as Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - no one can take your mojo - that's not a bad thing.  The foreshadowing throughout the film, with Thor's fingers crackling a bit, and then even more so during the stadium fight, was an absolutely perfect set up for the end - so much so, I thought they overdid it a bit with the Anthony Hopkins scene right in the final battle.  Thor's not the God of Hammers, true, but I'm sure most viewers had worked it out by then (frankly, you could work it out by the trailer months ago!) Perhaps the father-son talk could have come a little bit earlier and not during the fight?  Speaking of battles, they were mostly very exciting, with the music actually elevating things.

I think the film would have been stronger with a stricter comb through the script, and an honest assessment of which bits were genuinely funny and which were not.  Without the GotG-style forced humour, this would be a 5-star film for me.  Nonetheless, I'd still say it's easily one of the most entertaining Marvel films.  Tom Hiddleston was great as ever, Cate Blanchett was outstanding and the plot managed to perfectly walk that line between being exciting and actually meaning something.

Infinity War was originally scheduled to release in the States on May 4th, with many countries/territories (UK included) getting it a week earlier on April 27th (some places, like Australia and Sweden, get the film in the 25th iirc). This has been the situation with most - if not all? - MCU films to date.

So, there was an awesome Twitter exchange to exhibit the remedy to that situation. The film is now coming to America on April 27th. 

Reasoning for this change seems twofold:

• they don’t want the film ruined for fans who are having to wait a week longer than those situated elsewhere.

• they don’t want the film to overlap too heavily with Deadpool 2 and Solo.

Great PR stunt for Disney/Marvel.

Only 56 days to go :D 

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Haha 1