NEurope
Retro_Link

Marvel's Phase Three

Damn, Ragnarok looks like it's gonna be hella fun.

Really looking forward to it!

Three separate posters came out of SDCC, but I held off on posting any after it became apparent that they would line up:

y2kagyx1hxyttdhvoy1g.png

I know we don't officially have the trailer yet, but it's something else entirely to see everything culminate on one beautiful poster! I'm sure Disney's going to break some cinema chains considering everything they've got planned for release next summer :p

• Like 1

Does anyone know if the films are going to be split up into those four teams?  Interesting to see Bucky and Cap not in the same team.

2 hours ago, Grazza said:

Does anyone know if the films are going to be split up into those four teams?  Interesting to see Bucky and Cap not in the same team.

Agreed, though I think it's worth mentioning that we have at least one core Avengers member (from the first film, I mean) in each "team", so I think it's for te balance more than anything.

I suppose location at the start of the film could play into it too (what with Bucky being in Wakanda and all).

• Like 1

Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War currently clock in at 100 minutes (which would make it the shortest MCU film) and 150+ minutes (which would make it the longest MCU film), respectively, in their current states, according to the respective directors of each film.

• Like 1

I've always thought 100 minutes was plenty long enough for a film.  With Thor: Ragnarok, I just hope it's fast, funny and entertaining.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Words cannot describe just how amazing that is. Great way to start a Monday morning. :D

• Like 1

While it looks quite decent, I'll probably wait for it to hit Netflix or (if the reviews are really good) VOD.

Surprised there's been no activity in here recently? All too busy with your Mario Odysseys and your Switches it seems.

Anyway, went and saw Thor last night. Couldn't find its own thread? It was very, very good. Probably the best film i've seen this year, and potentially right at the top of the Marvel pyramid. 

I was a bit apprehensive at first, because the plot moves along at a million miles an hour, and it looked like they were going to try and fit far too much in (the Dr. Strange cameo felt a bit crammed in - as did the weird scene on Asgard with the play), but once Thor gets to the trash planet, the whole thing calmed down a bit, and the pace of the film moved perfectly. 

The character voiced by Taika Waititi stole pretty much every scene he was in. He was hilarious. And the scenes with Thor/Hulk and then Thor/Banner worked really well. I was worried that the humour of the film wouldn't work, but by the end I didn't give a shit, as it was just too good.

Oh, and the scene at the end where Thor rediscovers his lightning powers - fuck me, that was awesome. made me want to jump up in the cinema and rip my seat out of the floor. Incredible.

Anyway, would recommend/10.

5 minutes ago, bob said:

Surprised there's been no activity in here recently? All too busy with your Mario Odysseys and your Switches it seems.

Anyway, went and saw Thor last night. Couldn't find its own thread? It was very, very good. Probably the best film i've seen this year, and potentially right at the top of the Marvel pyramid. 

I'm off to see it this weekend with my mates. Everything about it ( trailers, impressions, reviews ) seems to be hitting all the right notes. Thor is one of my favs out of the MCU and I can't wait to see how this 3rd installment plays out.

@bob Will we need to sit until right at the end of the credits to see a secret scene?

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I'm off to see it this weekend with my mates. Everything about it ( trailers, impressions, reviews ) seems to be hitting all the right notes. Thor is one of my favs out of the MCU and I can't wait to see how this 3rd installment plays out.
[mention=229]bob[/mention] Will we need to sit until right at the end of the credits to see a secret scene?

Yes, one before the main chunk and one all the way at the end, as is tradition.

Just now, bob said:
5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:
[mention=229]bob[/mention] Will we need to sit until right at the end of the credits to see a secret scene?

Yes, one before the main chunk and one all the way at the end, as is tradition.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, bob said:

Hide contents
I was a bit apprehensive at first, because the plot moves along at a million miles an hour, and it looked like they were going to try and fit far too much in (the Dr. Strange cameo felt a bit crammed in - as did the weird scene on Asgard with the play), but once Thor gets to the trash planet, the whole thing calmed down a bit, and the pace of the film moved perfectly. 

The character voiced by Taika Waititi stole pretty much every scene he was in. He was hilarious. And the scenes with Thor/Hulk and then Thor/Banner worked really well. I was worried that the humour of the film wouldn't work, but by the end I didn't give a shit, as it was just too good.

Oh, and the scene at the end where Thor rediscovers his lightning powers - fuck me, that was awesome. made me want to jump up in the cinema and rip my seat out of the floor. Incredible.

Anyway, would recommend/10.

Spoiler

Agreed, great film. Didn't realise until I got home that it was Waititi voicing Korg! Gave himself all the best lines!

Was not expecting Thor to lose an eye!

All three MCU films this year have been full of humour actually - will be a bit odd going to what I presume will be a more serious tone in Black Panther/Infinity War.

Edited by Mr-Paul

2 hours ago, Mr-Paul said:
Spoiler Agreed, great film. 

It was actually quite pleasing when Thor lost his eye and then the whole of Asgard got destroyed. Marvel films often get flak for having nothing of any consequence change from film to film, but what with Thor losing his hammer as well, it's refreshing to mix things up a bit.

I always thought Asgard was very underdeveloped anyway. Three films in and you really don't know much about it beyond the Bifrost gate bit.

Edited by bob

Spoiler

"The foundation's still there! You can rebuild it!"
<boom>
"Ah, the foundation is gone."

Or something along those lines.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sméagol said:
  Korg (Reveal hidden contents)

"The foundation's still there! You can rebuild it!"
<boom>
"Ah, the foundation is gone."

Or something along those lines.

I liked:

Spoiler

Along the lines of:
"I'm starting a revolution but I didn't print enough pamphlets" "It was just me, my mum and her boyfriend, and I don't really like him"
"You rode a hammer? The hammer rode you"
"Miek's actually dead, I'm just holding him"

@bob I don't know if it's just because it's my own post you quoted, but the spoiler tag seems to have broken in what you've quoted from me.

• Thanks 1

[mention=229]bob[/mention] I don't know if it's just because it's my own post you quoted, but the spoiler tag seems to have broken in what you've quoted from me.
Yep, not sure what happened there. Sorry if I spoiled anything for anyone.

I don't know why spoiler tags are generally so glitchy. They never seem to work properly.

Just got back from seeing it. Absolutely loved it. It's probably my favourite stand alone Marvel film.

Spoiler

Man, that scene where Thor finally gets his powers and unleashes hell! I adore scenes like that in movies. It just makes you want to stand up and start shouting excitedly at the screen. 

What was the deal with the Matt Damon cameo? We were in stitches when he popped up.

The humour in the film was spot on. There were so many moments where evryone in the cinema were howling at what was happening on screen. One of the biggest laughs came right at the start when Odin/Loki realised Thor was in Asgard and simply so " Oh, ****! ". The delivery of that line by Hopkins was simply perfect. :D

Another thing that had me creased up was when Thor was telling the story about how Loki scared him as a kid by changing into a snake.....and then stabbing him. Brilliant stuff. 

I was pleased that this tune made into into the film, even if it was right at the end. 

Love it.

Just got back from seeing it. Absolutely loved it. It's probably my favourite stand alone Marvel film

Did you also spot the other cameos in that Matt Damon scene? Sam Neill was playing Odin, and Thor was being played by Chris Hemsworths brother, Luke.

8 minutes ago, bob said:

Hide contents

Did you also spot the other cameos in that Matt Damon scene? Sam Neill was playing Odin, and Thor was being played by Chris Hemsworths brother, Luke.

Haha! I never even realised. Outstanding! :D 

Going against the general vibe, I thought Thor was not a good film. Completely under-baked villain...which is a shame because Hela had – on paper – a great back story, and good motivation...except she has no one to talk to because her parents are both dead, and her two brothers are off somewhere else for most the film... so it's just her and Judge Dredd... who is unlikeable from the start for his incompetence and goes out on some weird...heroic act that was done for no other benefit of the audience. Because no one else is there to morn his death (not to mention all of Thor's friends who get killed at the start, apparently Thor isn't bothered about their deaths).

Also, how POORLY characterised is Loki in this? He's shown to be super astute, a true trickster a manipulator, and yet he leaves a moronic Judge Dredd as his doorman and is acting like an utter goof when Thor turns up. What was his end game? Am I meant to believe he managed to replace Odin and take the thrown of Asgard for the sole purpose of acting like an idiot? 

The Collector was...underwhelming, unintimidating, and under developed. The music...was almost great at points, but mostly unremarkable. Some of the visuals were absolutely superb, like the Valkyrie memory bit but those bits were all too short.

I didn't think it was an especially bad film (until I start thinking harder about it), but I'll say probably the most damning thing I can say about any film.... It was boring.

Edited by Daft

Just finished watching the movie and thought it was brilliant. I'll probably post some more once I get home and have thought about it more lol.

So funny though!