NEurope
Retro_Link

Marvel's Phase Three

Is this going to have any cross over with Agents of SHIELD? Considering the sections on Earth seem to be set at the same time it would be weird if they completely ignored each other. Do the Inhumans that have been on the moon know that there are others already on Earth running around?

13 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Is this going to have any cross over with Agents of SHIELD? Considering the sections on Earth seem to be set at the same time it would be weird if they completely ignored each other. Do the Inhumans that have been on the moon know that there are others already on Earth running around?

That's a good question. They probably are gonna learn about what happened to the earthlings inhumans from AOS through the Internet/news. Dunno if Coulson from Shields will make a cameo. 

I think I remember reading interviews where they talked about keeping it separate from Agents of Shield, at least to begin with. The way it looks at the moment though, I'm not sure it'll make it past one season.

Edited by Happenstance

45 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I think I remember reading interviews where they talked about keeping it separate from Agents of Shield, at least to begin with. The way it looks at the moment though, I'm not sure it'll make it past one season.

I just don't know how they can keep them apart, unless they're saying Inhumans isn't part of the wider universe!?

If they're in the same universe then it makes no sense that the Moon Inhumans wouldn't want to find out more about the Earth Inhumans and vice versa.

1 minute ago, Eddage said:

I just don't know how they can keep them apart, unless they're saying Inhumans isn't part of the wider universe!?

If they're in the same universe then it makes no sense that the Moon Inhumans wouldn't want to find out more about the Earth Inhumans and vice versa.

Oh yeah I dont disagree. The whole thing seems like a bit of a mess.

I guess I'll give it a go, after all I've watched everything else and haven't thought any of it was 'bad'.

39 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Oh yeah I dont disagree. The whole thing seems like a bit of a mess.

Not surprising considering everything that's gone down between the MCU's TV and film head honchos (Perlmutter and Feige). 

Inhumans mess seems to be born from their difference in opinion to begin with, and I doubt it will come out without some sort of controversy, be it critical acclaim or something else entirely.

Expect to hear some of the first Infinity War news - and perhaps even see a teaser trailer - come this weekend at Disney's D23 Expo, as well as some news/trailers/images regarding Thor: RagnarokBlack Panther and Ant-Man and The Wasp. Heck, even some Captain Marvel news might be on the cards. 

Some film journalists are suggesting that we could see more of the framework of the MCU's Phase Four here, too, but I have my reservations - both as a fan of their films and as someone who's been paying very close attention to how Disney and it's owned studios have been meticulously crafting promotional campaigns and layouts - as to whether or not this will actually turn out to be true; in my honest opinion, I think having the foreknowledge of Phase Three's initial layout was one of the many reasons that Avengers: Age Of Ultron, despite being a good film in its own right and garnering massive box office success, couldn't be seen as succeeding in some areas where the originals Avengers - and heck, even some of the solo-outing films - managed to, such as suspenseful storytelling. We were informed beforehand that Jeremy Renner had renewed his contract, and that Chris Evans and RDJ were obviously going to be in Civil War, and so on.

At this point, we know that Spidey is safe and that the Guardians of the Galaxy, in one form or another, are going to make it through to the next phase as we already know that a Homecoming sequel and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 are in the works; in fact, at this point, I see it as highly unlikely that we don't see Dr Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man, The Wasp, Scarlet Witch and some others make it through to Four either, simply because of when they were/are planned to be introduced.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

So, at the very least - for now - Infinity War reads like it has an amazing trailer.

10 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

So, at the very least - for now - Infinity War reads like it has an amazing trailer.

Did I just read a reaction to a review for a trailer for a film?

Should I form my opinion of the whole film based on this?

4 minutes ago, bob said:

So, at the very least......yes

1 hour ago, bob said:

No, you read a reaction to a description of a trailer for a film.

If that's all it takes to convince you then I don't see why not.

---

Anyway, getting back on topic, the Children of Thanos, otherwise known as the Black Order, have been revealed to be in the film.

Children-of-Thanos.jpg

Kevin Feige also revealed that we can expect to see the first trailer later this year; when asked about when it was dropping:

It’s a good question. I’m not sure. I think it would be late summer, early, mid fall? Ragnarok, probably.

Thor: Ragnarok and Black Panther trailers are also expected to drop at San Diego Comic Con later this month.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 2

I'm pretty easily convinced.

This film is gonna rock!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

<inhumans trailer>

This is going to be just as much part of phase 3 as the Netflix series are :P.

And it's not looking better. I mean, I'll probably still give it a try if I get the chance, but It's not doing anything for me currently. And it looks way to cheap for a theatrical release..

30 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

This is going to be just as much part of phase 3 as the Netflix series are :P.

And it's not looking better. I mean, I'll probably still give it a try if I get the chance, but It's not doing anything for me currently. And it looks way to cheap for a theatrical release..

Honestly, I've pretty much stopped watching the MCU shows at this point, as the shifts in quality - even in the Netflix shows, in my opinion - are all over the place: Agents of Shield got nowhere very fast after a somewhat interesting first season; Jessica Jones never really did it for me; Luke Cage was enjoyable; Iron Fist was dreadful imo; and I still contend that Daredevil S1 is the best any of these shows have ever been, whilst S2 was a not-as-good, but an enjoyable, follow-up. I never really got into Agent Carter, either...

I'll be honest, I'm somewhat concerned about the state of the MCU's TV presence; it hasn't lived up to its promise at all, in my opinion, which amazes me considering that comic books are arguably a better fit for a TV show than a movie, and yet I find that I'd much rather rewatch any of the MCU movies - even Iron Man 3 - than commit to watching one of these shows after how hit-and-miss they've turned out to be.

At the very best, I hope that The Defenders is good, and I have zero expectations for Inhumans

Edited by Julius Caesar

8 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Honestly, I've pretty much stopped watching the MCU shows at this point, as the shifts in quality - even in the Netflix shows, in my opinion - are all over the place: Agents of Shield got nowhere very fast after a somewhat interesting first season; Jessica Jones never really did it for me; Luke Cage was enjoyable; Iron Fist was dreadful imo; and I still contend that Daredevil S1 is the best any of these shows have ever been, whilst S2 was a not-as-good, but an enjoyable, follow-up. I never really got into Agent Carter, either...

I'll be honest, I'm somewhat concerned about the state of the MCU's TV presence; it hasn't lived up to its promise at all, in my opinion, which amazes me considering that comic books are arguably a better fit for a TV show than a movie, and yet I find that I'd much rather rewatch any of the MCU movies - even Iron Man 3 - than commit to watching one of these shows after how hit-and-miss they've turned out to be.

At the very best, I hope that The Defenders is good, and I have zero expectations for Inhumans

I can't comment on the ABC series as I've never seen them (as they're not on Netflix), but I don't share your opinion on the Netflix series. I actually loved Jessica Jones. Iron fist wasn't fantastic, but I still thought it was ok. Personally, I found Luke Cage to be the most disappointig, but even that show had still things I really enjoyed. To me, this just looks like a similar situation as phase 1 of the MCU.. I loved Iron man, thought the Hulk was ok, but didn't care much for Thor and Captain America. The last 2 still had thing I enjoyed in them, not the least of all the lead characters, which still resulted in me being hyped for The Avengers. I still think The defenders is going to be the The avengers for the Netflix series.

1 hour ago, Julius Caesar said:

Dude, Agents of SHIELD gets so good.

Season 4 is one of the best seasons of superhero shows ever to exist

Edited by Serebii
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Serebii said:

Dude, Agents of SHIELD gets so good.

Season 4 is one of the best seasons of superhero shows over to exist

I had heard this, so I'll have to try to catch up (if I can find the time to do so) at some point. The show dropped off the radar almost completely for me when it became 100% apparent that it wouldn't ever play into the MCU in a major way (see: the way it went about setting up Age Of Ultron), and the thought of the tie-ins kept me pretty much hooked (in all fairness, this is probably due to the rift between Perlmutter and Feige more than anything else).

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

I still think The defenders is going to be the The avengers for the Netflix series.

I'd be more than happy to be surprised if this were the case! I doubt it would happen considering the rift between the MCU film and television honchos, but I do have to wonder if we'll get a nod to Doctor Strange at some point (with him being the original leader of the group back in the 70's comics iirc) during the series.

I don't really mind if the TV shows and the films don't link up. The gap in budgets would make it really awkward either way. As long as the TV shows are consistently good, I'm happy.

I've accepted that the films won't reference the shows. It's a shame, but SHIELD is still one of my favourite TV shows.

Another trailer for Thor: Ragnarok is expected to drop in the early hours of the morning (at least on this side of the Atlantic puddle), as is a "first official" trailer for Black Panther. An update on the state of Brie Larson's take on Captain Marvel could also be on the cards, albeit likely only in the form of some concept art and some other tidbits. 

Thor: Ragnarok poster for SDCC;

1500774051843965.jpg

Black Panther poster for SDCC;

DFW8rzaXsAAJHMZ.jpg:orig

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 1

SDCC 2017: MARVEL STUDIOS PANEL ROUND-UP

Spoiler

• Michelle Pfeiffer is portraying Janet Van Dyne (the original Wasp)

• Hannah John-Kamen is the Ghost

• Randall Park is Agent Jimmy Woo

• Laurence Fishburne is Dr Bill Foster, AKA Goliath

Spoiler

• Nick Fury (who will have two eyes!) is confirmed to be appearing in the film.

• It will be set in the 90's.

• The film's villains will be the Skrulls (which, apparently, stay VERY true in appearance to their comic book counterparts).

Spoiler

• Thor is without his trusty hammer, Mjölnir, and his hair when the film begins.

• The film takes place four years after The Dark World; Loki has been posing as Odin all of that time.

• Hulk is now a popular gladiator and he decides his new life is better than anything Banner could do; being the Hulk permanently for two years, he "has the vocabulary of a two-year old", but yes, he can speak.

• Yep, that's definitely Surtur at the end of that there trailer.

Spoiler

• The film begins shortly after Civil War.

• T'Challa is still mourning his father's death and trying to figure out how to be King when circumstances occur that force him to deal with a threat immediately.

• An SDCC-exclusive trailer was shown.

The Infinity War footage which debuted last weekend during Disney's own D23 Expo closed out the panel.

Edited by Julius Caesar
  • Like 3