NEurope
Retro_Link

Marvel's Phase Three

RUMOR

Spiderman reboot find director..... new trilogy planned, films released on consecutive summers....No new Origin Story with Spidery likely first introduced during Cap3: Civil War.... Ironman may appear in first film!

http://uproxx.com/movies/2015/03/breaking-drew-goddard-will-write-and-direct-the-spider-man-reboot-starring-iron-man-and-the-avengers/

The big part I think in all that is the idea that Ironman could be part of the first film.... though the article doesnt say it one would have to assume Marvel will be just throwing money at RDJ to get him to sign on to be Stark/Ironman for such a film... at this rate he'll probably end up being Ironman in more films than Jackman has been Wolverine :D

Normally I don't watch trailers for films I'm guaranteed to go see, but I couldn't resist. And damn.

What? Why is Tony the one pro-registration? He bucks authority every fucking film?! This is so against character and even if it wasn't, it's so insincere since everyone already knows who he is already and he'll probably break whatever rules he wants if and when he needs to. It's so hackneyed, like Stark's post Avenger's PTSD.

Also, they have had supervision for the most part, that's what SHIELD was. Wasn't it? Why didn't do any of these heroes do anything proactively after it fell. Why does General Ross have to be the one to come in and point this out? What happened to 'With great power comes great responsibility?'

"If we don't accept limitation we're no different from the bad guys." This was literally Cap's whole motivation in Winter Solider. Why has this changed?

"What do we do?" "We fight." It's so generic, so infuriating. This is about CW-standard writing. ("I don't know what to do!" "Run Barry, run!")

And I've honestly never thought of Cap and Stark as friends. Colleagues, sure. Friends? By proxy only.

Thematically, what the hell is the theme of this film?

At least there's no mcguffin.

You haven't read the Civil War comic? They are using this as a background for the movie though with the twist that it's about CA's old friend, Buck. In CW, Iron Man leads a group of heroes that do not oppose to the state government and the fact that the heroes' secret identities should be made public, while CA opposes this viewpoint with another group of heroes.

Actually a really good comic book with great drawings and writing. Should read it again...

I've not read Civil War, though I've been told about it. I don't really have much doubt that the context for the debate in the comicbook is much more realised than it is here. I just find these movies frustrating and pandering.

And this is coming from someone who forgave a lot of the issues in The Dark Knight Rises because I already had the comics give that mess of a film context. Although, in retrospect, there are only really a couple singular scenes in the film that rise above the whole mess of it.

That surprises me. Civil War is a must read for comic book superheroes fans. :) It's really among the best Marvel comic I've read.

But I agree, the whole setting should be established in the movie, the trailer probably did a poor job with that. However, the trailer was really good, I'm really looking forward to the movie.

That was a pretty meh trailer. Still looking forward to it though.

The Iron Man CGI during that last part was poor.

@MindFreak I thought Civil War was pretty damn bad. I never see much praise for it.

It'll be really early CGI at this stage, I'm sure it'll improve.

Civil War is thought of as one of the better modern Marvel event comics in recent years. I certainly enjoyed it.

+1 for enjoying the Civil War arc.

It's weird, I was team Cap when reading the comics but I find RDJ so likable that I have to go team Stark for the films. :D

I'm gutted to see Tony take that beating at the end. I'm hoping Spider-Man shows up at that point and evens the odds.

:)

What I've heard was that Civil War, as an event, was a mess, with different writers changing the course of the main plot, and several characters being so needlessly villainous, their actions were later explained as being Skrull shapeshifters in disguise.

It's entirely possible that individual books were better about it, though, keeping a more cohesive stand throughout, especially as a whole. I only glanced a few issues here and there, so I have no particular opinion about it, other than the fact that it lead to the atrocious "One More Day" storyline.

What? Why is Tony the one pro-registration?

I doubt the film will be about superhero registration. In the trailer, what I see is Captain America going against the law to help Bucky (a fugitive), causing some other heroes to distrust him (and others to support him).

Just because it's called "Civil War", it doesn't mean it'll follow the comics' plotline, it just means that a bunch of heroes will fight each other.

(Plus, I hear Spider-Man is supposed to be on Tony's side in this film, too. That's a guy who'd undoubtedly oppose registration).

What I've heard was that Civil War, as an event, was a mess, with different writers changing the course of the main plot, and several characters being so needlessly villainous, their actions were later explained as being Skrull shapeshifters in disguise.

It's entirely possible that individual books were better about it, though, keeping a more cohesive stand throughout, especially as a whole. I only glanced a few issues here and there, so I have no particular opinion about it, other than the fact that it lead to the atrocious "One More Day" storyline.

I doubt the film will be about superhero registration. In the trailer, what I see is Captain America going against the law to help Bucky (a fugitive), causing some other heroes to distrust him (and others to support him).

Just because it's called "Civil War", it doesn't mean it'll follow the comics' plotline, it just means that a bunch of heroes will fight each other.

(Plus, I hear Spider-Man is supposed to be on Tony's side in this film, too. That's a guy who'd undoubtedly oppose registration).

From what we can see, it's not about registration but more about oversight and accountability.

There is probably still a proper villain behind it though, don't you think? My guess is the Red Skull (any rumours of Hugo Weaving in it?) Although much of the film will be about heroes fighting heroes, I'm sure they'll team up at the end when they learn who's behind the scheme (whatever it is).

What? Why is Tony the one pro-registration? He bucks authority every fucking film?! This is so against character and even if it wasn't, it's so insincere since everyone already knows who he is already and he'll probably break whatever rules he wants if and when he needs to. It's so hackneyed, like Stark's post Avenger's PTSD.

Also, they have had supervision for the most part, that's what SHIELD was. Wasn't it? Why didn't do any of these heroes do anything proactively after it fell. Why does General Ross have to be the one to come in and point this out? What happened to 'With great power comes great responsibility?'

"If we don't accept limitation we're no different from the bad guys." This was literally Cap's whole motivation in Winter Solider. Why has this changed?

"What do we do?" "We fight." It's so generic, so infuriating. This is about CW-standard writing. ("I don't know what to do!" "Run Barry, run!")

And I've honestly never thought of Cap and Stark as friends. Colleagues, sure. Friends? By proxy only.

Thematically, what the hell is the theme of this film?

At least there's no mcguffin.

I think it's a logical follow-up to Age of Ultron, given that Ultron turning Sokovia into a huge meteor-bomb was ultimately Stark's fault in the first place. He's holding himself and the heroes accountable and supporting the government with the Sokovia Accords.

Cap's motivations seem to revolve around Bucky on the other hand, which is a bit worrying, but I'm sure there's more to it...

As for SHIELD, I'm not sure the world trusts their supervision following the revelation that the organisation was, for the most part, HYDRA.

There is probably still a proper villain behind it though, don't you think? My guess is the Red Skull (any rumours of Hugo Weaving in it?) Although much of the film will be about heroes fighting heroes, I'm sure they'll team up at the end when they learn who's behind the scheme (whatever it is).

It's Daniel Brühl as Baron Zemo, and Crossbones is seemingly hunting superheroes going by some of the photos.

I fully agree with this, Marvel movies have been avoiding grey areas (morality questions, complex conflicts and problems, etc.) with a clear-cut villain for the hero(es) to face in the climax (see: Iron man 2&3, Winter Soldier, Ultron).

Unfortunately, my hopes for the Red Skull returning are pretty much dead at this point. My guess is the one major Captain America villain they haven't used yet, Baron Z-

It's Daniel Brühl as Baron Zemo

Dammit! Is this confirmed? It prevented me from totally calling it in advance.

Unfortunately, my hopes for the Red Skull returning are pretty much dead at this point. My guess is the one major Captain America villain they haven't used yet, Baron Z-

Dammit! Is this confirmed? It prevented me from totally calling it in advance.

That's confirmed! He's just not wearing the hood/mask thing in the film, apparently. Hugo Weaving doesn't seem keen on returning so I guess they'll have to recast if they ever pull Red Skull out of that wormhole.

There's something a little too clean about it. It's a little CW.

Having said that, I've no doubt it'll look better in action. These weird isolated costume shots are never good. I think they always do the costume a disservice. I think the new Batman costume reveal has been the only good costume reveal in recent memory, and that's because it was a pretty great photo too (WB tried the same with WW but with a terrible photo, so it didn't work anywhere as well as it should have).

There's something a little too clean about it. It's a little CW.

Entertainment Weekly photoshoots always look a bit poor.

Mystical-Strange-005-EW.jpg

Very much sold on his look.

They've done a great job with the hair, and it's nice to have a really vibrant costume.

Entertainment Weekly photoshoots always look a bit poor.

Which compunds the issue but I still think the majority of costume reveals do a disservice to how they'll actually look.

BEARD NEEDS TO BE BLACK.

Ehh, I appreciate the off-colour. RDJ's facial hair in Age of Ultron is absolutely awful, it looks like it's drawn on. This looks a little more natural.