NEurope
Retro_Link

Marvel's Phase Three

We have our first two characters!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/26/doctor-strange-is-part-of-marvels-phase-3-movie-slate

Doctor Strange is Part of Marvel's Phase 3 Movie Slate

So says studio boss Kevin Feige.

We've known since San Diego Comic-Con 2012 that Edgar Wright's Ant-Man would be one of Marvel's future films following their Phase Two slate of Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Now Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige says that Ant-Man will have company as part of what he dubs Marvel's Phase Three: Doctor Strange.

In a chat with MTV, Feige said, "Doctor Strange, which I've been talking about for years, is definitely one of them. ... He's a great, original character, and he checks the box off this criteria that I have: he's totally different from anything else we have, just like Guardians of the Galaxy. He's totally different from anything we've done before, as is Ant-Man, which keeps us excited."

"Ant-Man is definitely part of Phase Three," said Feige. "Like Iron Man 3, it's certainly set in the Marvel Universe, but it's also through the lens of Edgar Wright — which is the only reason we're making the movie."

Ant-Man is slated for release November 7, 2014. No word yet on when Doctor Strange will hit screens but sometime in 2015 seems likely.

I do worry that they're going to go with the lesser known Marvel characters, and it'll end up with those movies not doing well.

But hell, it's Disney, not like they're short of cash

He's a great, original character, and he checks the box off this criteria that I have: he's totally different from anything else we have, just like Guardians of the Galaxy. He's totally different from anything we've done before, as is Ant-Man, which keeps us excited."

Trying a bit too hard to sell it there...

Saturating the market.
In what respect? There are what, 3-4 superhero films released in total per year maybe, whether they be from Marvel, Warner Bros, Sony, 20th Century Fox.

Far, far more films get released these days per week/month than they have done in the past. I'd say the choice was greater than ever!

I do worry that they're going to go with the lesser known Marvel characters, and it'll end up with those movies not doing well.

But hell, it's Disney, not like they're short of cash

See, there's so many great and potentially great characters out there in the universe, I'm really happy when they try to bring them more into the mainstream. Business sense you're probably right, but Superhero films have been flooding quite hard in the last few years, a flop or two to make them think again won't kill me too much.

Can they finish Phase 2 first before they start talking about Phase 3 :heh:

EDIT:

Actually hold up, when is Avengers 2 out?

I thought it was May 2015? And I though Ant-Man was due after Avengers 2 (and thus Antman would not be in Avengers 2) but the quote in the OP says Ant-Man is due Nov 2014?

Can they finish Phase 2 first before they start talking about Phase 3 :heh:

EDIT:

Actually hold up, when is Avengers 2 out?

I thought it was May 2015? And I though Ant-Man was due after Avengers 2 (and thus Antman would not be in Avengers 2) but the quote in the OP says Ant-Man is due Nov 2014?

Must have been a typo. I found November 6th 2015 to be the date for Ant-Man with Avengers on May 1st

I get how people can get hyped for this kind of movies, but I really stopped caring for them. I think we had a bit too much superhero movies lately.

I think I speak for the majority of the Marvel/DC ignorant public when I ask... who the fuck is Dr. Strange? Ant Man? ANT MAN? AS IN AN ANT?

Guess they finally ran out of good superheroes to make movies about.

Edited by Guy

In what respect? There are what, 3-4 superhero films released in total per year maybe, whether they be from Marvel, Warner Bros, Sony, 20th Century Fox.

Far, far more films get released these days per week/month than they have done in the past. I'd say the choice was greater than ever!

As in too much superheroes, soon no one will give a shit. Especially when they aren't very well known.

I think I speak for the majority of the Marvel/DC ignorant public when I ask... who the fuck is Dr. Strange? Ant Man? ANT MAN? AS IN AN ANT?

Come on, you know who Dr. Strange is! He's the guy Orpheus on The Venture Bros. is a parody of.

Come on, you know who Dr. Strange is! He's the guy Orpheus on The Venture Bros. is a parody of.

I know who he is now you told me. Had no idea before.

My ignorance is disgusting.

Guess they finally ran out of good superheroes to make movies about.

So? Not knowing the subject material doesn't just automatically equate with a shit film, it could be awesome for exactly that reason! Not going in with any hype/expectation, being able to do some different stuff, all that jazz.

As for Strange, yeah he's a strange(ALOLOLOL) choice; but that doesn't mean I'll just automatically dismiss it. As I mentioned, there's loads of comic literature built up over the ages, and lots of potential in that. Besides, did you never watch the 90s spider cartoons? He was in those! Along with Blade actually, whose films did well unless I'm mistaken - despite probably being quite an unknown comic fellow.

So? Not knowing the subject material doesn't just automatically equate with a shit film, it could be awesome for exactly that reason! Not going in with any hype/expectation, being able to do some different stuff, all that jazz.

As for Strange, yeah he's a strange(ALOLOLOL) choice; but that doesn't mean I'll just automatically dismiss it. As I mentioned, there's loads of comic literature built up over the ages, and lots of potential in that. Besides, did you never watch the 90s spider cartoons? He was in those! Along with Blade actually, whose films did well unless I'm mistaken - despite probably being quite an unknown comic fellow.

Good point, I'm sure the films will do very well. It just feels like they're starting to scrape the barrel a bit to keep the comic cash cow milk flowing. I'm probably way off here, but I just assumed the popularity of the superheroes have dictated which films were made first.

Thor, Captain America, Iron Man... until 5 years ago these weren't superhero's known by the mass public either, before Marvel took the chance and successfully made them established characters.

Thor, Captain America, Iron Man... until 5 years ago these weren't superhero's known by the mass public either, before Marvel took the chance and successfully made them established characters.

Captain America? Unknown? Really?

You have a better point regarding the other two. Iron Man had an animated show back in the day, and Thor had even less.

I think that anything can be marketed by Marvel without the public needing to know they're comic book characters. Like Blade or Ghost Rider.

About this news in particular, I'm pleased about Dr.Strange. He has always intrigued me for some reason. Probably because he's not a conventional superhero, dealing with the spiritual, occult and unspeakable horrors.

I can't help but feel the further along Marvel get with the films the more not having Spider-Man and the X-Men really jars.

I can't help but feel the further along Marvel get with the films the more not having Spider-Man and the X-Men really jars.

I read that Disney and Sony managed to make a deal to allow OsCorps building from The Amazing Spider-man to be in the Manhattan skyline in The Avengers, implying they're the same universe afterall, but the design wasn't complete in time so they couldn't go forward with it, so it's not that out of the question that Spider-Man could turn up at a later point

A building is one thing, a whole character is a completely different thing. Spider-Man should have just turned up in Avengers at the end, his city is New York. It was just weird, like he was on holiday. Also, Wolverine should be on the Avengers, too. None of it overlaps enough.

Also, there isn't even a hint of any mutants in any of Marvel's films and personally, the mutant 'issue' is probably the most interesting thing in the Marvel universe. I want to see AvsX, basically.

I basically want to see Cyclops own Captain America.

2704840-anxm1.jpg

He's so cool as a bad-ass.

Cyclops is awesome and all, but the mutants is what I dislike the most on the Marvel universe. I have a hard time believing that Spider-Man (and the stories that come with him) exists in the same world where people get powers naturally, but the general populace doesn't treat him the same way they treat mutants. The themes clash against each other.

If the X-Men had their own universe/continuity, it would be much easier to swallow.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/04/rumors-galore-about-marvels-phase-3-movies

The rumor mill has hulked out over Marvel Studios' Phase 3 movie slate.

The report comes via Latino-Review and should the rumors pan out (they do have a sweet track record)

According to Latino-Review, Marvel's The Avengers 2 will see Mark Ruffalo's Hulk shipped off Earth by the MCU's (Marvel Cinematic Universe) version of the Illuminati*. That means one of Marvel's Phase 3 movies would be a live-action Planet Hulk film. (Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige recently revealed that Ant-Man and Doctor Strange would also be Phase 3 movies.)

planet-hulk-img.jpg

But that's not all. The Hulk would return in The Avengers 3 for a big screen version of the comics' World War Hulk storyline.

Lending credence to these rumors is that fact that Feige teased a Planet Hulk movie in November. "I don't think there's a lot that we couldn't do someday, as the cinematic universe continues to grow and expand and get as big as the comic book universe," Feige told MTV at the time. "Planet Hulk is a cool story. World War Hulk is a cool story."

*Illuminati

406px-Illuminati.jpg

"Illuminati" was a secret organization comprised of several of the world's most powerful heroes: Sorceror Supreme Doctor Strange; Black Bolt, King of the Inhumans; Charles Xavier, founder of the X-Men and mutant rights activist; Reed Richards, founding member of the Fantastic Four; Namor the Sub-Mariner, King of Atlantis; and Iron Man (Anthony Stark), founding member of the Avengers. These six men worked together for an unspecified amount of time to mold and shape the status of the superhuman world and the world around it.

Originally, Tony Stark united these men along with the Black Panther shortly after the Kree-Skrull War had first involved Earth. He suggested they form a mega group that would be prepared to face such similar threats by uniting all of the existing super teams and groups. Eventually, the idea was minimized in scale to a secret cabal that would share information and decide secretly how all of the individual groups would correspond, with T'challa choosing not to join the group.

The group met to discuss a variety of issues, including the return of the Sentry. The group lasted until Iron Man decided to trick the Hulk into going into space, then sending him off from Earth to a distant planet. With Namor leaving because of his disagreement with the choice and Professor Xavier having disappeared after the Scarlet Witch warped reality, the group disassembled. They came together once after, when Iron Man announced the impending Superhuman Registration Act, and asked that they all strongly agree in public in order to prevent a civil war. Again, the group was divided when most declared their opposition to the Act, leaving Iron Man and Reed Richards to dissolve the group.

However, Iron Man called the group together one last time when the latest assemblage of Avengers discovered a Skrull posing as the assassin Elektra. While trying to figure out exactly what to do about the situation, Black Bolt revealed himself to be a Skrull as well and attacked the rest of the Illuminati. This new type of undetectable Skrull super soldier almost succeeded in eliminating Iron Man and his group, but Namor managed to kill the alien warrior before that could happen. Iron Man then destroyed the next two Skrull soldiers that attacked, but it was already too late. The alien invaders completed their task of planting the seed of mistrust within the members of the Illuminati. Namor was the first to take his leave, and the rest soon followed. Only time will tell if Earth's heroes can find a way to trust each other again and repel this secret invasion before the planet is lost.

Some may disagree, but for me that would all be getting a bit too Comic-worldy... which I'd rather them leave to the Comic books.

A fully CGI movie starring Hulk?... why not just watch the animated comic book film?

I don't know, I like the real-world grounded approach with a touch of the science-fiction/unbelievable the films have had so far. This seems too much.

And do they really want to set Hulk up for this type of story? a) The images are kind of ridiculous b) Can the Ruffalo/Hulk last a full 2hr solo movie successfully 3) I'm not sure why after FINALLY successfully making audiences warm to and love The Hulk, they'd want to write the character out of the series by making him the bad guy? d) There are already plenty of other villains e) The movie relationship between Stark and Banner doesn't suggest/have enough depth or reason behind it that Stark would trick Banner like this.

Don't like the idea.

Strange's introduction however makes me think it might be happening.

It's a nice idea but I don't know how it would work within the movie world they created.

Especially with the massive bromance they did with Banner and Stark in the Avengers.

That and I don't think they've given Hulk himself enough character development to have him appear as only the Hulk for a full film.

He's barely done much more than roar and grunt...I think the only two proper words he's said between the Norton film and Avengers was "Puny God"...can't remember if he said anything at all in the Norton film?