NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2013

Ricciardo confirmed at Red Bull.

*sigh*

but best of luck Daniel.

Wow, Fair enough. He's kinda improved this season, once he heard Webber was leaving.

Fair play to the chap. Imagine Webber will be very helpful given the Aussie Grit spirit.

Obviously they know more than we do, but it just seems like he's massively lucked into that role.

JEV has 13 points to Daniels 12, despite JEV having had more DNF's this year, and other than Quali I'm not really sure what he's showing, even above the likes of Buemi, Alguersuari.

Right place, right time?

I really like the guy, but yeah. Hopefully he'll put in some great performances at Red Bull, it would be a shame to just see him as a straight up number 2 driver there, offering no challenge to Seb whatsoever.

I think Daniel has the stuff to really take it to Seb. I liked Mark but he simply wasn't on Vettel's level but Daniel's got the energy, talent and ambition to match. Just as long as Red Bull don't get to protective of Seb I think this could get very very interesting.

Just wonder if Daniel will be vocal in the paddock and any disagreements he may have... you know let them out.

Webber did this but to no avail, I wonder if Ricardio will now just keep silent if his car doesn't receive an upgrade that Seb may get, or if he and Seb are in a scenario of Seb losing pace to Ricardio, will he be allowed to pass or told to slow down, and if that's the case will he air his frustration.

Webber being older, i guess was always going to be more vocal, with Ricardo i Just wonder if he'll be silent the whole time which ultimately is what Redbull want.

There seems to be a pattern with the championship...

2008-Close championship fight

2009-Jenson walks it, albeit struggles in the second half of the season.

2010-Epic title fight.

2011-Seb walks it.

2012-Epic title fight.

2013- :(

Decent race, title's pretty much settled but I guess it's just that kind of year. Another painful race of watching Lewis fight tooth and nail for not much, he really needs to stop beating himself up so badly. He was incredibly unlucky this weekend. Hulkenberg was a star though, he needs to get a seat in a top-tier team ASAP.

It was a decent race, ignoring Vettel. Felt a tad sorry for Raikkonen at the start, but he bought it back by the end. Anyone else getting sick of seeing Vettel always winning, or is it just me.

Something i noticed with the Sky commentators today, they focussed on everyone but Vettel. And when they did go to Vettel, a cheeky comment made "Oh, i forgot he was still racing"

It was a decent race, ignoring Vettel. Felt a tad sorry for Raikkonen at the start, but he bought it back by the end. Anyone else getting sick of seeing Vettel always winning, or is it just me.

Something i noticed with the Sky commentators today, they focussed on everyone but Vettel. And when they did go to Vettel, a cheeky comment made "Oh, i forgot he was still racing"

He's just in cruise control for the whole race tbh, there's no need for them to talk about him because he's just managing his race. I remember in the Schumacher days they wouldn't mention Michael until the last few laps, they'd sometimes genuinely forget he was there as he was that dominant.

I'm praying for a Seb DNF at singapore. Ted mentioned on sky that they are really worried about this gearbox and Singapore eats gearboxes for breakfast. Here's hoping it happens and Lewis can win a few in row to make it interesting.

If Seb falls off the race track/the earth/ our plane of reality during the next two races we might have a a championship battle to look forward to. Frankly though, I wouldn't put money on it. I just hope others share the coming race wins.

Lewis refuses to wear the Merc caps because he doesn't like them fashion wise :indeed:

He's working with Merc on the design of their 2014 caps.

Fernando Alonso: McLaren's target Ferrari

McLaren want Fernando Alonso to rejoin them next season and have made the Ferrari driver their prime target.

The Spaniard is unsettled at Ferrari and McLaren hope to persuade him to return to a team he drove for in 2007.

Asked if he wanted the double world champion, McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "Yes - any team would. He's the best driver.

"I don't know his contractual situation. I assume he's under contract," he told BBC Sport.

More to follow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/24171278

This is surely something out of nothing, it's like asking David Moyes does he want Ronaldo and Messi at Manchester United... "Yes - Any team would, they are the best footballers!"

Yeah agreed.

I think it's just a rumour that's come out of McLaren not talking about their drivers contracts for next year, which yes looks suspicious from the outside, but they've never given any indication that they won't be keeping both drivers... although IMO they shouldn't. I don't see Jenson and Perez taking that team anywhere.

Martin Whitmarsh said the same thing about Kimi a couple of weeks ago just to join in the silly season discussion.

Would be funny though ;p This would pretty much be on par with Kimi's return to Ferrari.

How long was Perez contracted for? Would they really be kicking him out the door 1 season in?

Hard to call with Perez, he performed wonders with Saubers machinery, completely above expectations from them, but put him in a car that's meant to be better and he's yet to make the impact. Is it that Sauber had a vastly more competitive car last year, that wasn't far off the rest of the field? I can clearly see McLaren aren't on the ball this season, but again would Perez be in a better position than Hulk if he'd stayed at Sauber?

I've just seen the interview with Whitmarsh; if he was happy with his two drivers he would have just said it. He never out right denied that they've approached Alonso. Also, let's consider the following:

-Mclaren have by FAR the weakest driver line up for next year. Jenson is good on his day but average for the rest of the year and Perez hasn't even won a race.

-There is a lot of talk that the Ferrari power train is going to be the worst for next year, with Merc ahead. Alonso is probably thinking 'Mercedes is the engine to have'.

-Mclaren have abandoned this years car (a few races ago), unlike Ferrari who have took some BIG updates to the race this weekend.

-How competitive will Honda be in 2015?

Lots of questions. I'm worried about the Ferrari power train for next year :(

I'll believe it when I see it but I do trust Andrew Benson to not write this up unless there was significant scuttlebutt around the paddock, even if he wasn't able to reveal specific sources or information. Alonso will be fine with Kimi but his relationship with Ferrari brass is looking pretty tense for the foreseeable future.

I love seeing drivers get a ride back, but Webber deserved a penalty for this! SO dangerous!!

Incredible podium from Kimi! :D

And his lap times on those old tyres were insane! and all with that back!

Man that looks so bad. Only a reprimand each for that seems very generous once you see that footage.