NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2013

That's such depressing news :( Absolute legend of the sport and I think more many, he is the true face of motorsport.

Oh sod off Mercedes!! WTF!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22999260

F1: Mercedes banned from Silverstone test over Pirelli 'tyregate'

Mercedes have been banned from this year's young driver test and reprimanded for taking part in a controversial Pirelli tyre test.

Pirelli has also been reprimanded for its role in Lewis Hamilton's team running a 2013 car at the three-day test in Spain last month.

An FIA tribunal found Mercedes in breach of F1's rules and an article bringing the sport into disrepute.

It took into account that the FIA had given "qualified approval" to the test.

The young driver test runs for three days at Silverstone from 17-19 July. Last year, Mercedes completed 1,354kms in the rookie test. The Pirelli test, conducted with race drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg at the Circuit de Catalunya on 15-17 May, ran for 1,000km.

Costs of the investigation and international tribunal procedure have been shared equally between Mercedes, Pirelli and governing body the FIA.

The tribunal said that:

•Mercedes had broken article 22.4 of the sporting regulations by running an illegal in-season test with a current car

•The FIA's qualified approval did not and could not override article 22.4

•Mercedes "did obtain some material advantage" which "at least potentially gave it an unfair sporting advantage"

The tribunal found in mitigation that:

•There was no intention by either Pirelli or Mercedes to gain "any unfair sporting advantage"

•Neither Pirelli not Mercedes acted in bad faith

•Pirelli and Mercedes "disclosed to the FIA at least the essence of what they intended to do in relation to the test and attempted to obtain permission for it; and Mercedes had no reason to believe that approval had not been given"

•The action of FIA race director Charlie Whiting, who had indicated the test would be permissible, were "taken in good faith and with the intention of assisting the parties and consistent with sporting fairness"

The tribunal said it was "unable to express any opinion" as to whether testing carried out by Ferrari with a two-year-old car in 2012 and 2013 was "properly authorised". But it said it was "equally unsatisfactory" that Whiting had given his consent to this even though the tribunal "had no evidence before it which indicates his opinion had in fact been wrong".

And it was Mercedes that came up with that 'reprimand' themselves... otherwise there probably would have been nothing!

McLaren were fined $100,000,000 and had their WCC points takes away FFS!

Oh sod off Mercedes!! WTF!

And it was Mercedes that came up with that 'reprimand' themselves... otherwise there probably would have been nothing!

McLaren were fined $100,000,000 and had their WCC points takes away FFS!

That does suck, but wern't Mercedes going to pull out of F1 if the punishment was harsher. Sometimes it makes me wonder why i watch when all this farce is going on between different teams and the FIA.

Silverstone this weekend, should be a good race.

Silverstone this weekend? Damn that came round quick. Good news.

Anyone here going this year?

While I'm sad to see Webber leave, I think it's the right move for him. He couldn't really move to a new team this late in his career, and his time at Red Bull has expired with the recent shit that Vettel has thrown his way.

Kimi partnering Vetterl at Red Bull though, now that is a very exciting prospect.

Wahoo!!

Kimi to Red Bull... yes please!! :D

Seb has said he'll try and put in a word but doesn't has much say in these things :p

Tbf I think if he wanted to stay in F1 a seat swap with Kimi would be a good one. Lotus could do with a reliable driver like him.

Kobayashi would be a great signing for Lotus, he's very popular, but I'm not sure what his contract with Ferrari currently means or allows him to do.

Edited by Retro_Link

Damn, the Red Arrows are so impressive. Really really loved that part of the BBC coverage. Incredible feature.

This was horrible...

tumblr_mp7mr98jYR1sugud8o1_500.gif

Dangerous race today!

Exciting to watch though, but it all went wrong for me in the last five laps, stupid Lotus!

I thought that's when the race picked up more to be honest :p

Shame for Lewis to not get at least a podium from his P1 start and the great effort he made to get back through the grid.

Also really really hoped Webber would pinch the win, so close, Had the safety car gone in a lap earlier he'd of caught Rosberg. But oh well, still a great drive now.

Honestly F1 is so much more exciting without Seb participating in it :p

Happy with the podiums though to be honest, I know I said it's a shame that Hamilton didn't make it, but Rosberg & Webber had great races, and Alonso needs podiums to have any shout of catching Seb, Although that has hampered Kimi's points haul today.

Pirelli got some splaining to do heh.

This was a brilliant race (despite the tyre failures) - the very best came out of absolutely everybody. Absolutely gutted about Lewis' tyre failure but he did excellently to get back into fourth, just a few feet away from 3rd. Nico did get lucky but another deserved win and it was really nice seeing Webber rediscover his confidence. Great racing all over the place.

loved it, immense drive from webber.. showed some real class today. He's had an unlucky season so far it must be said. Wtf at the tyres though, gonna be interesting to see what comes out of all that today. I think hamilton would have had it won if not for that crazy shit. As much as I think he's turd, he had a great drive to get back to where he did too.

Ignoring the tire explosions, that was a good race. Especially with Seb's engine failure, that made for a great final few laps. It's a pity the safety car didn't go in earlier than, as it's been said already that Webber could have clinched 1st (i reckon it could have been done in 2 more laps). Hamilton had a good race, getting to 4th from where he ended up from after the tire explosion.

I'll be interested in hearing from Pirelli about the tires. There are jokes going round that it's a good job Pirelli don't make condoms.

The last one with Vettel is brilliant :D

Silverstone was fantastic this weekend! Incredible atmosphere all around the track, despite Lewis and his bad luck :( It was great watching him fight through the pack and the whole crowd was on the edge of their seats when it looked like he might make the podium. Oh, and the reaction Seb got when he retired...absolutely incredible. Multi-21 indeed.

Championship looks over to me for Alonso and Kimi tbh; the tyres will become more predictable as the season goes on and Red Bull and Merc will take the wins. Merc have a genuine chance at taking both titles but they'll need a good run of form to make it happen. Let's do this Lewis!

I think Pirelli has gotten an unfair rap out of this year - they built tyres precisely to the spec they were given and everyone blames them for how it's affected the racing. They tried to change the tyres to prevent specifically failures like the one at Silverstone from happening and were blocked from doing so. Not to mention the hoo-hah around the Mercedes test and the lack of other testing available to solve any issues. After this season I'd be amazed if any named tyre brand would want to come within a mile of an F1 contract.

What I don't like is how Pirelli are now altering the championship order through defensive tyre choices.

I don't think it's fair for the teams that optimised their development towards the tyres to now be having that taken away from them with incorrect tyre choices so that the tyres don't fail.

Hungary was Soft and Medium last year, this year it's Medium and Hard.

I think Pirelli has gotten an unfair rap out of this year - they built tyres precisely to the spec they were given and everyone blames them for how it's affected the racing. They tried to change the tyres to prevent specifically failures like the one at Silverstone from happening and were blocked from doing so. Not to mention the hoo-hah around the Mercedes test and the lack of other testing available to solve any issues. After this season I'd be amazed if any named tyre brand would want to come within a mile of an F1 contract.

They've been put in a very difficult situation. People are saying 'bring back Michelin' but they'd be put into the same awkward position.

What I don't like is how Pirelli are now altering the championship order through defensive tyre choices.

I don't think it's fair for the teams that optimised their development towards the tyres to now be having that taken away from them with incorrect tyre choices so that the tyres don't fail.

Hungary was Soft and Medium last year, this year it's Medium and Hard.

I hope that once the new tyres are declared safe and there are no issues, Pirelli will move back to being aggressive. Soft and Medium for Germany is good and we should see 3 stops but I don't want 1 or 2 stops when we go back to Asia. Hungary should be soft and medium and Spa should be soft and hard.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I think Lewis can win the title, especially given how well Merc looked after their tyres at Silverstone. it's just such a bummer Michael Schumacher retired last year...imagine a title challenge between himself and Vettel :(

I think Seb's still got this. They're in the same situation as Mercedes when it coms to tyres, and although they haven't quite got the Mercs qualifying pace at the moment they have a better race car, as Seb and Webber were able to show in Silverstone. Seb was unstoppable in Canada.

Lewis is also 43 points behind.

The German GP, that was something different. Still having tire issues, but of a different kind.

Seriously, what the heck. I know a quick stop is essential, but that is too quick. Hopefully the cameraman is ok. He suffered a broken collar bone, concussion and broken ribs after that. What did Red Bull get as a punishment, a $30,000 fine. Thats it, nothing else. No point deductions, no ban from the next race. I hope the cameraman sues Red Bull for the above, otherwise they are getting away with it.

Unlucky for Massa, i have no idea what happened there with that. Bianchi's car caught fire, unlucky. Thankfully he got out of there, but by then the fire was out. Then the car decided to re-enter the race by itself.

He suffered a broken collar bone, concussion and broken ribs after that.

Wow, I didn't realize how much damage was done at first. I know it hit him with some force, and his tumble was quite nasty, but didn't think that much damage could be caused from it.

Typical that it's Webber's stop that causes the fuck ups and not Vettels. Such is life at Redbull.

Was an okay race. Once again like last weekend, just a case of not enough laps to catch the race leader at the end. Really wanted Kimi to do it, and really wanted Alonso to pip 3rd. But never mind.

Grosjean actually had a decent race, so can't deny him the podium spot.

It was a fantastic race!

I think it was possible for Kimi to win that one if the strategy had played out differently. If he'd come in on a better lap and not fallen behind the Mercs for example, or maybe if he's not come in and stayed out like Romain did... or if they'd tried leaving him out near the end, or if they'd put him on a new set of Mediums at the end... But we'll never know :p

Still it was a good podium with 2 Lotus'!... not so happy with Seb extending his points lead yet again mind!

Some really good racing though and some decent overtaking! Wasn't expecting there to be that much but there was some great stuff!

That cameraman needs to get on to InjuryLaywers4U though!!... it's crazy how RedBull can get a way with just a fine really for such an unsafe release. Could have smacked him in the face!

This however was hilarious! :p

KBXKRB1.gif