NEurope
Retro_Link

Formula 1 2013

Please not another Vettel year, I don't hate the man but I'd rather anybody else grab it. Maybe if we hit Newey on the head with just the right force he'll only be slightly better at building & developing cars than everybody else?

Tbh I've thought this probably would be Vettel's year... Newey getting to develop and evolve last years car for this one was always going to be ominous!!... But I'd LOVE to see Kimi and Alonso in the fight!

Looks like the 2013 McLaren, could be the 2012 Ferrari... although at least Ferrari seemed to be able to understand what had gone wrong last year, where all McLaren are saying this year is that they're somewhat lost/not understanding the car.

What a difference a day makes! Watching an interview with Button yesterday on the Sky website he couldn't wipe the grin off his face feeling positive arriving after testing! Today it's the usual balance problems reported over team radio, and negative demeanour in inerviews. I could never be a Button fan.

Well well well, what a pleasent surprise that was.

McLaren just... Wow. Going to be a tough season.

Really pleased with the result though, nice to see their will still be some competitiveness this season and not a for gone conclusion. Redbull may go on and do the double again, but if it's as unpredictable and entertaining as last season that'd be good.

Great first race, Mercedes and Ferrari look great, Kimi was unbelievable. Webber continues to frustrate.

Glad F1 is back!

Kimi was an absolute class act, didn't put a foot wrong and drove to a typically cool & smooth victory. The Ferrari race pace looks solid again and the red Bulls are quick but clearly not indomitable. Sutil really surprised me as well, Force India could be the team to spring some surprises again this year. Troubled day for Merc, strategy didn't work plus reliability issues but they've still got decent pace, hopefully they can build on it and get Lewis into the mix. Only shame is Mclaren, hope they can come back into it like they have before.

Looks like this championship may be everything we dared hope. Fingers crossed it carries on in this spirit.

Edited by gaggle64

That was a good race indeed, well done Kimi and Lotus on the 2 stop strategy. It's a shame on Mclaren, i was hoping they'd come in the top 5. Still, only 1st race in season. Long way to go yet.

What did people think of Suzi Perry's first show?

Maybe just me, but did any of you guys think she seemed nervous on the first qualifying show on Saturday? Her opening exchanges with DC, again maybe just me but it seemed like she mumbled and stumbled her way through words / drivers names and such.

Still she was great, and I didn't pick up on any other moments in the 2nd qualifying or the actual race. Think she will be a good addition to the presenting team.

Will be interesting to see the first live race, but I assume by then she'll be a lot more relaxed with the presenting team, drivers and f1 teams.

Fantastic season opener!

I thought Red Bull were going to walk it but Vettel had completely wrecked his tyres by lap 5 and it really played into Ferrari and Kimi's hands. Such a shame Alonso didn't have DRS on his qualifying lap as Massa held him up for the first 20 laps or so and that is what cost him a shot at the win.

Fantastic drive from Kimi and the Lotus looks VERY strong. I hope that the 3 drivers we saw on the podium fight each other for the title as they are all top notch.

Bring on Sepang!

I though Suzi did just fine, she's got a more straight forward presentation style then Jake but she seems genuinely knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I'm sure we'll get a better sense of her with the others once we get to the first live BBC broadcast.

And she does look good in motorcycle leathers.

Also, loving the new intro. Nothing wrong with the old one but hot damn.

I thought Suzi did a great job for her first show and especially in what turned out to be a difficult F1 weekend of changes!

I agree @Murr she did seem nervous, but that's to be expected.

She's got experience from MotoGP and I think give her a few races and she'll be in full swing.

I thought her Intro video was great too... nice to see the humour carrying over from previous years; I'm sure they'll be able to come up with a few opening sketches for the likes of Monaco.

@gaggle64 I'm not sure about the new intro yet, seen it a few times now and the CGI bugs me, as it's not very good. But it's better than the 'boxes' intro of the last two years; just seeing more F1 history is always great, and I do like the run up the 'Champions Wall' that the intro ends with!

I love how awkward these are. Kimi looks like he's barely in the room.

Kimi was 2nd quickest in P1, and The quickest in P2.

Exciting times ahead?

I sense a repeat of 2005 again (Kimi vs Fernando).

Red Bull seem to be in a bit of trouble...Vettel and Mark are rapidly getting through their tyres!

Pretty interesting from Hamiltons column on BBC Sport - The changes he requested to the steering wheel /setup.

Old -

_66546366_lewishamilton

And New -

_66546365_lewishamilton

He said he wanted a less complicated steering wheel, and to remove buttons that are used "once in a blue moon"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21885280

Basically he's made each dial a different colour, makes good sense so the engineer can just say Blue 3, or 'weird green colour' 5 etc... :p

Old wheel does look ridiculously overcomplicated.

I'm praying for a dry race this weekend!

It's going to be tough for Kimi to maintain the momentum through the season with Lotus' lower budget but he's got a good shot if he can capitalise on his advantage while he's got it. Looks like the Red Bulls, Ferrari and Lotus are all on top of each other with Mercedes snapping at the heels of that pack.

If I were a betting man I'd say Alonso is on his way to a 3rd but we've still got a long season to go.

Kimi had a consistent first half of the season last year and a strong second half.

This year he needs a strong first half and then Lotus can have a more considered second half if they need to. They're off to a great start.

There is also talk this weekend that Lotus are about to announce a new title sponsor, rumoured to be based in the US, so either Honeywell changed their mind and are back on board, or it's someone else, but either way that will help Lotus! :)

Certainly a win in AUS, second in FP1 and fastest in FP2 will help attract sponsors! :D