Caterham - 5th Feb - Jerez Testing Day 1

Marussia - 5th Feb - Jerez Testing Day 1

Winter Testing

Jerez - Feb 5/6/7/8

Barcelona - Feb 19/20/21/22

Barcelona - Feb 28 Mar 1/2/3

2013 Changes

No more 'ugly' noses

The FIA were aware of the uproar and have acted to ensure the 2013 models aren't so aesthetically challenged. While the regulation that requires the front part of a car's nose to be no more than 55cm high remains in place, teams are now allowed to fit a laminate 'modesty panel' to smooth out the nose's appearance.

No more unlimited DRS

With safety in mind, the governing body has mandated that DRS can now only be used in the pre-defined 'zones' during every session of a race weekend. The main difference fans will notice, in the early races of the season at least, is that practice and qualifying lap times will thus be slower compared to 2012.

No more Mercedes-style Double DRS

Such a system has now been banned for 2013 to nip any development war in the bud. However, what isn't outlawed is the type of 'passive' F-duct-like system developed, but not raced, by Lotus where air collected through ducts either side of the air box is channelled towards the rear wing for a speed boost even when DRS isn't in use.

The phrase 'Force Majeure' came to controversial prominence during the course of the 2012 season after Lewis Hamilton's McLaren in Spain, and Sebastian Vettel's Red Bull in Abu Dhabi, ground to a halt at the end of Q3 when their respective teams came aware that their car was about to run out of fuel.

Under the rules as they stood both teams could argue a case of force majeure - i.e. the car stopping for reasons beyond their control - but that phrase has now been deleted from the Sporting Regulations for 2013. It means that should a car not be able to return to the pits under its own steam in a qualifying session then, in addition to having the mandatory one litre of fuel still on board required for a sample, it also must have the same amount of fuel that "would have been consumed to drive back to the pits", determined at the FIA, in order to escape the disqualification sanctions that Hamilton and Vettel suffered.

Absolutely love those old Mercedes Cars! :D

Don't know what is going on with the F1 Calendar this year!?

Edited by Retro_Link

Let me just start this right by saying GLOCK JESUS FUCKNO WHY GOD.

More later, as it develops.

Let me just start this right by saying GLOCK JESUS FUCKNO WHY GOD.

More later, as it develops.

Is Glock one of your favs?

Honestly the Heikki/Glock situation is ridiculous!... and some reward for them risking their careers to help the new teams!

But ultimately that is what they did and it hasn't worked out, it was always a very risky move for them to make I guess. But it's not as though these new teams are going to get anyone better are they? If they want to keep driving forward they need consistency to continually build off of.

Timo is definitely one of the sturdier drivers on the grid in my opinion. I suppose now he can go race pretty much wherever he want now, in competitive machinery without needing obscene amounts of sponsorship.

Looking forward to the 2013 season, let's just hope it's as epic as last years! Interesting to see the new lineup, although I agree it's sad that Timo isn't in there. :(

@CoolFunkMan do you have a favourite team/driver?

Can't believe the cars launch next week!! :D

Although as I've learnt from previous years they're very much 'show cars'... but still the first test is only the following week!!

@Retro_Link

I'm not really attached to any team in particular, although I do think Raikkonen is a great driver. So that should probably mean I'm a Lotus supporter. Mind you, I'm not really keen on Grosjean's skills.

But yeah, the car launch next week should be exciting! :grin:

Last year was hard for me in terms of my love of watching F1, Since Rubens Barrichello was forced out of the sport I found myself wondering why I was even watching it any more without a driver to support. The only thing that kept me going was Kimi Raikkonen, gotta love the guy, he's all the motivation I need now.

Last year was hard for me in terms of my love of watching F1, Since Rubens Barrichello was forced out of the sport I found myself wondering why I was even watching it any more without a driver to support. The only thing that kept me going was Kimi Raikkonen, gotta love the guy, he's all the motivation I need now.
F1's tough like that! I went through it during 2010 and 2011, thankfully Kimi came back... but I found that I did need a driver to back to fully enjoy the sport. Made me think it must be so much easier if you're a team supporter! Lewis somewhat turned out to be that driver for me during 10/11... well more 2011, 2010 was a tough watch!

---

UPDATE: :D

Edited by Retro_Link

How does everyone feel about the McLaren line up this year?

Excited to see Perez? Was he the right guy for McLaren? Looking forward to seeing Jenson step up? Do you think he can? Or an underwhelming year/line up for McLaren?

I just noticed that Lotus have added [CocaCola] Burn red/lick of flames to Kimi's race suit and underside of the hat...

175fa598de1b3e1db1e3f57ea231258f.png

Wonder if we can expect the same from the car livery?!

Everyone gonna be watching the car launch tonight at 7:15pm!!?

@Retro_Link

I'm really not sure to be honest, it's certainly a surprising line-up, but I'm going to reserve judgement until the season kicks off. I think that Button is going to step it up though, I look forward to see how he'll perform.

On a random note, isn't the Lotus car meant to be revealed today...? Where is it? :/

EDIT: Oh, it's at 7:15pm? You ninja'd in that post whilst I was adding this one... :heh: Thanks though! Also, that would look interesting on the car livery, hope it's on there.

@Retro_Link

I'm really not sure to be honest, it's certainly a surprising line-up, but I'm going to reserve judgement until the season kicks off. I think that Button is going to step it up though, I look forward to see how he'll perform.

Be good to see Jenson step up and mount a serious challenge, always frustrates me when he gets a good start to the season/puts together a few good races, and then something goes horribly wrong which neither he or the team seem able to explain. fingers crossed for plenty of wet weather races, then! ;) ( self confessed McLaren fan would love to see him and Sergio at the top, really hope he has a good first season too!)

Also on a related but Wii U note, I really thought we would have had F1 2012 on the console, surely the gamepad is PERFECT for an F1 game! (and I am sure this has been discussed many times before... :) ) lets hope for F1 2013.

Lotus Countdown

ALTHOUGH... seems it's been leaked!!???

YEWG5Mml.jpg

gstIF0Zl.jpg

WV0D6QTl.jpg

30C5bYll.jpg

Awesome having the drivers name on the cars like McLaren used to do!! :D

However, red was always the worst part of the Lotus livery! :hmm: though if clear wasn't pushed back awkwardly I think the car would look pretty awesome!

Edited by Retro_Link

Haha whoops! Bit of a cock up from Renault, still be interesting to see what the specs are like and what everyone else is likely to be including too, dash of red is nice on the car actually, looks like it's a sponsor thing but works well, especially like you say with the names on the car.

Still suprised Grosjean is back though, everyone deserves another chance but he was almost comical last season, I hope for his,and the others drivers, sake he is much improved as he has the ability to be a race winner in my opinion.

Had a brief peek at the pics, and just watched the launch on YT. When I saw the pics, I wasn't keen on the amount of red on the car, but after seeing it in full, I think it looks great! Surprised about the shape of the nose though...

Be good to see Jenson step up and mount a serious challenge, always frustrates me when he gets a good start to the season/puts together a few good races, and then something goes horribly wrong which neither he or the team seem able to explain. fingers crossed for plenty of wet weather races, then! ;) ( self confessed McLaren fan would love to see him and Sergio at the top, really hope he has a good first season too!)

Yeah, exactly, it's a shame Jenson's quality declines over the course of a season. It'd be good to see him keep up the pace for the entirety of one.

215715.jpg

215720.jpg

215713.jpg

215711.jpg

Does still look very showcar esque, think we can expect to see ALOT more detailing on the car come launch!

Edited by Retro_Link

'Jenson' Button :D

Sat Nav, Open Gate, [Anti-Mumble] :p

---

Also here's Kimi (No.7) and Romains (Lucky 8 Ball) 2013 helmets...

lotu-raik-helmet-2013-5-886x590.jpg

lotu-raik-helmet-2013-6-886x590.jpg

lotu-raik-helmet-2013-4-886x590.jpg

lotu-gros-helmet-2013-4-886x590.jpg

lotu-gros-helmet-2013-5-886x590.jpg

lotu-gros-helmet-2013-3-886x589.jpg

People are speculating that the fact they both have a red strip along the top of the visor is for the fact they're still after the Honeywell deal.

And that the red Genii on the side pods of the new car, is in hope of...

lotushoneywell.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

I swear that's the car McLaren started off with last year before later changing the nose! :p

Mind you, if teams do a live launch then all these launch cars look pretty much the same, they're basically to show new sponsors/livery. They don't want the press taking photo's of the real car.

Is Ferrari's live? Otherwise Red Bull's may be the first proper car we see.

I swear that's the car McLaren started off with last year before later changing the nose! :p

Mind you, if teams do a live launch then all these launch cars look pretty much the same, they're basically to show new sponsors/livery. They don't want the press taking photo's of the real car.

Is Ferrari's live? Otherwise Red Bull's may be the first proper car we see.

I can't see much of a difference on the Livery between this and the mp4-27?