NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Beast

I Dreamed a Dream...

Any good ones?

I've been meaning to keep a dream journal. It might be a good idea if I did seeing as I'm writing a story...might be something useful...

I'll check when I finish work. I have this theory that if I record enough random shit I can thread it into one long story.

From what I've read, dreams appear to be a mixture of consolidating information recently learned and creating scenarios to prepare you for that scenario. Slow wave sleep seems to be most consistent with consolidating newly-learned ideas and the dreams during these times tend to be monotonous, normal every-day life activities. Further supporting the idea that sleeps allows your mind to rehearse information is that when people are allowed to nap after learning new information, they are more likely to remember a significantly larger amount. Then comes REM sleep, which turns off parts of the prefrontal cortex, which is associated with logical thinking. This means that rule-governed thought is difficult and so the brain creates dreams that are more wacky, and more commonly remembered. Some people suggest that in this kind of sleep, the mind tries out scenarios and then allows you to react to them, to prepare you for things in the future. However, since the prefrontal cortex is not involved, these scenarios tend to be erratic. However, it would appear these scenarios train your emotional reactions to events, and as such do not need to be logical. This is suggested by the fact that most of these dreams have a flurry of different emotions being experienced, a common one being fear.

When coming out of sleep, it may happen that the prefrontal cortex regains function during these dreams, at least to an extent, which may be the cause behind lucid dreams. I've also read that only you will only remember dreams if you are beginning to awaken during REM sleep.

Going from my own experience, the information above appears to make sense. If I realise I am in a dream, I don't ever continue the cycle to slow wave sleep and begin repetitive every-day activities. Similarly, when I remember dreams, there appears to be a boring section at the start, where I'm going to the supermarket or other regular location, but then get suddenly transported to a crazy situation.

When mentioning dreams I've had recently. In one I was in the Batmobile being chased, while throwing a variety of gadgets behind me to stop my pursuers. In another, I was kidnapped by murderers and saved by Phil Dunfy from Modern family. And in the most recent one, I was in a video-game style fire fight, between other people and eventually zombies, yet everyone knew it was a type of role-play event.

Right... some of my dreams from some of the vague notes in my notebook made when half asleep. Make of them as you will.

1] Girl takes artifact and falls down snow, ancient creature woman. Turns into dragon robot. Have to sing to communicate.

2] Does something wrong in the future & have to change name to run from the law (Wii Blue? Axel blue? Name forgotten)

3] Works on some giant wooden airship. Have to get someone to fix weird bike thing whilst looking for chavvy group. One of them is an Augustus Glop character who doesn't speak English but won't eat choclate. Told to take him to Dr. Cookie Monster.

4] Weird school trip where kids meant to wash own dish before eating. Pirate ships in monsters eyes. Batman(?) fighting Chopin. Donkey Kong beating Batman.

5] One dream where I semi-cheated on my girlfriend but it was her identical twin and I didn't know the difference.

6] Black man wins on dart machine over a pool ball.

7] I have a pinful piss and then it seems my penis is an intestine growing out of my side. I buy waffles at the end.

And my personal favourite:

8] Some bloke thinks I'm homeless and gives me a pound. Patrick Stewart comes and takes it back.

wall of text

Interesting read, but i'm not sure how much of it i really agree with. Most of the dreams I remember are ones where I'm continuously getting woken up dreaming that there is someone in my room.. When I have that dream I will usually have it every 5 minutes again for 30 mins or so. Good times.

Besides from those, I basically never remember my dreams. Or I'll remember them for a few seconds after I wake up, and then absolutely nothing. It hurts trying to actually remember them past that point, like I'm trying to remember something that is just completely impossible! It's been this way for like.. 15 years at least.

When my relationship ended last June, I started remember dreams again.. but only ones with her in it. For whatever reason, I have dreams with her in it all the freaking time. Thanks brain :) I still get them now, and I honestly very, very rarely think about anything to do with her now :S

Edited by Jim

I dreamt I was at my old secondary school yesterday, for like a school reunion. But when we walked through the doors we turned back into our 13 year old selves, it felt so weird shrinking back down to a tiny pre-teen :p

Anyway, nothing else particularly interesting happened, in fact we just started going to classes and doing work... what a crazy reunion :p But then the floor suddenly started falling from beneath me and the walls started crumbling, I looked out of the window and there was a black hole in the middle (the start of our old school has like rows of class rooms forming a square in the middle which was spent for dinner times and stuff, the rest just branched out like a normal school)

So yeah, it was in the middle where this huge black hole was sucking everything in, friends and parts of the school, then it started sucking me in which was awful. I started flying through the air going at such an intense speed, I remember smashing through a wall to get to the black hole and then woke up just as I went through it.

My old school did get knocked down, but I'm pretty sure it didn't happen quite like that :p

I have a question for all those dreaming folks out there;

For those who have lived in more than one place(or even bedroom) in your life; how often do you dream being back there sort of thing? I notice sometimes I wake up, and in my 'dream' I've been living back in my old house, or my old bedroom in my old house(I had two) - I always find it a interesting that my dreams default back there.

I had a dream last night that Doctor Doom was on the loose and needed to be stopped. I chased him all over an entertainment complex, before I saw him just about to do something dastardly. So, I jumped on him and made a citizen's arrest!

Not sure it was the real one, to be honest, as he didn't put up much of a fight.

I have a question for all those dreaming folks out there;

For those who have lived in more than one place(or even bedroom) in your life; how often do you dream being back there sort of thing? I notice sometimes I wake up, and in my 'dream' I've been living back in my old house, or my old bedroom in my old house(I had two) - I always find it a interesting that my dreams default back there.

I'm in my fourth bedroom now, but for some reason whenever a dream is in a bedroom, it's nearly always my second bedroom, the one I was in at about age 6 to 11.

I also swapped the ends of my bed recently, so now my head is where my feet used to be, often wake up confused for the first few seconds wondering where I am :p

I had a dream last night that I saw Madonna in the library (which she apparently part-owned, as she had an office) and asked for her autograph for Paj. She insisted on signing it in black pen on a black paper folder because "it will show up better".

Sign in to follow this