NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

@Ashley why is it that you only ever pull up @Ronnie when he generalises in favour of Nintendo, but you never do the same to anybody who does the same in favour of PS4? Just asking as I feel impartiality is pretty important if you are moderating this forum.

@Ashley why is it that you only ever pull up @Ronnie when he generalises in favour of Nintendo, but you never do the same to anybody who does the same in favour of PS4? Just asking as I feel impartiality is pretty important if you are moderating this forum.

That's the wrong question. The real question is, how is Ashley such a saint that Ronnie wasn't banned after 5 posts? :laughing:

That's the wrong question. The real question is, how is Ashley such a saint that Ronnie wasn't banned after 5 posts? :laughing:

Says the man who only comes onto the Nintendo boards to stir and pick fights...

I firmly believe Nintendo's problems are entrenched in the stigma that they make "kiddy" games/consoles. The N64 probably started this when they started launching pokemon consoles and certainly the purple design of the gamecube didn't help.

When you look at the top selling games on PS4 Uncharted/Killzone/Bloodborne/Last of US/GTA/COD they are all adult orientated games. In stark contrast Wii U has Mario/Splatoon/Smash Bros/Yoshi/Donkey Kong/Mario Kart/Toad/Wii U Party all colourful and cartoonish. There are some great games in there, but for Switch to be a real success they need the 3rd party adult games as well.

Kids are growing up faster and whereas in the PS2 generation 15 years olds wanted a playstation that has now become 10 year olds.

Another issue is, whether Nintendo themselves or Third Parties bring adult oriented games to a Nintendo console, most of the times these games tend to sell like shit. Madworld, Conduit, Sengeki Reginleif, ZombiU, Red Steel (2), Deathly Creatures are all examples of adult oriented, exclusive efforts from both Nintendo themselves as from third parties. None of these were big successes, while most were enjoyable at the least.

For ports the situation is even more dire.

Another issue is, whether Nintendo themselves or Third Parties bring adult oriented games to a Nintendo console, most of the times these games tend to sell like shit. Madworld, Conduit, Sengeki Reginleif, ZombiU, Red Steel (2), Deathly Creatures are all examples of adult oriented, exclusive efforts from both Nintendo themselves as from third parties. None of these were big successes, while most were enjoyable at the least.

For ports the situation is even more dire.

Just had a quick look at the GC which was mentioned as a pinnacle of post PS Nintendo greatness. Rounding consoles up to nearest 5M games to nearest M (using vgc)

GC (~25M) :

Top seller ~7 mill

Rogue squadron: 2M

RE4: 2M

SCII:2M

RE:1M

RE0:1M

NFS:underground:1M

Spiderman TM:1M

NFS:U 2:1M

ToS:1M

Naruto:1M

Wii U(~15M)

Top seller ~7M

Zombi U 1M

Xenoblade chronicles:1M

Bayonette 2:1M

Monster Hunter Tri: 1M

This isn't a perfect list.. but two things

1) unexpectedly, consoles sales don't seem to limit Nintendo's own software sales so much on a per game basis (seeing as both GC and Wii U top sellers are around 7M each - sure how many million sellers etc but still...

2) The number of "mature" (not really sure most games given that label actually are all that mature) games by third parties hitting 1M sales is going down. I might look at Wii later. But it's a chicken/egg situation. I actually think it is beneficial for 3rd parties to have a 1 system scenario. I can see the next gen of consoles pushing microsoft out to the edge a bit.

I don't think 3rd parties are inherently anti Nintendo (nor Microsoft) but with the N64 Nintendo gave them a nudge to the PS, had Nintendo capitalised on the Wii (by giving it Wii U like hardware) I think the situation would be very different.

As for microsoft... tbh last gen Nintendo stepped out of the "red ocean" that 3rd parties operate in. Microsoft didn't. But this gen I think is the beginning of marginalisation of Microsoft. Not saying it is a lost battle for them, but rumours were that they would pull out next gen or go more towards PC gaming?

Anyway.. should be interesting next few months and years.

I look at PS and MS as Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola. Nintendo would be Dr Pepper; an acquired taste, not for everyone but very populair within a cult following. It would be extremely stupid if Dr Pepper would try to become another coke.

I look at PS and MS as Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola. Nintendo would be Dr Pepper; an acquired taste, not for everyone but very populair within a cult following. It would be extremely stupid if Dr Pepper would try to become another coke.

But ideally you'd want a vending machine that serves all three.

The difference is, a Nintendo "Coke" would still have the "Dr Pepper" that everyone liked when it was only Dr Pepper. :heh:

Because we've been giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt for an absolute age it feels! The WiiU showed us we can't give them that luxury any more or we'll just get burnt once again!

The way I see it is that if you're no longer a fan of Nintendo then it becomes pretty pointless to state the same ominous worry over every little detail of an unreleased product. Just leave them be and move on.

If you're still a fan and everything that has been officially shown has been positive, why not assume Nintendo are doing the right things? It's not like Nintendo haven't create timeless gems like OOT and MM. Therefore there is always the potential the next Zelda, for example, will be a great game.

I'm not trying to talk people out of being 'negative' because I believe that's good and creates a balanced view. But when it comes to BotW (and even the Switch) and it's largely positive presentations up until this point - it can get a bit annoying when we allow every little detail/rumour to alter our opinions so abruptly.

I'm just calling for rationality first, as opposed to the emotional responses which inevitably leads to the diss-cussing.

Dude...you can't just say that in here.

But he did... lets end this passive aggressive patronising tone and just say and respond to what we want.

Oh damnit! I accidently clicked on the WiiU thread instead of the Zelda: BOTW one, didn’t I?

Oh damnit! I accidently clicked on the WiiU thread instead of the Zelda: BOTW one, didn’t I?

Here's the LINK to the right topic :laughing:

But this is a game? That many people have played and loved it. Nintendo rarely let us down on games. So it doesn't apply. It's just this boards fascination with being painfully negative about almost everything. Even when the people who actually experience it have been unanimously positive about it.

But this is a game? I mean yeah if you want to be so staggeringly simplistic and surface about it, but ideas and principles do scale you know..

(and much more so between games and consoles offered by the same developer than an app on the apple store and the 'selling of dodgy mortages' ;))

Dude...you can't just say that in here.

As for myself: I still worry that the game won't appeal to me as much because for me Nintendo's recent software output has been disappointing. I don't deny that objectively BotW will be amazing but from what I've seen...meh. ::shrug:

That's rather much me too tbh. I'm already annoyed it didn't come to the console it was promised for when it was promised and it's another TP style dual launch(two seperate issues). I've had Zelda in my life for for longer than many other things, many other friends - I worry simply that the same won't appeal to me as much as its predecessors following the trend of its predecessors and I think it's fine to be worried about that. Just because I'm mildy 'worried' for maybe a few seconds a day/week/month when I come to think or talk about it doesn't mean I'm in some crazy state of mental breakdown anxiety. I think it's perfectly fine as a consumer to worry whether the product you're vested in is going to be what you want it to be and do what you want it to do!

Having said that I do think this game will be better than SS was for me, though I'm still worried and cautious, I reckon it'll be an interesting and exciting new experience as long as they nail the small things that give the series its character that I love. I still don't know if I'll get a Switch and get this though; or just get it on WiiU.

How come it's okay for you to say "people" and Kav to say "we" but Serebii speaks in broader terms and you have a go at him for it?

Because one form of argument(Ashley,Kav) recognises the human nature and presents the 'fact' accounting for variability of opinions. The other form of argument(Serebii) presents the 'opinion' as an objective fact. It takes no account of and makes no reference to the humanity involved. I would highly recommend reading up about Veridicality for anyone who struggles to understand this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veridicality

I know its stupid of me to read Ronnie's posts when I have him on ignore but seeing his weird use of gaming genres is always a highlight of my day.

I must admit the idea of the Aliens guy but with 'GENRES' written on it came to mind.

We've certainly trod this ground before though, amazed it's actually gone full circle. THIS PLACE MAN :love:

Btw I wasn't going to post because I thought about backlash but I've realised it's more on topic than what's been going on(including myself) and I just want to say - looking at the screenshot that Ronnie posted those big leaves look cack. I expected it to look much better considering its potential on Switch. Graphics tend to come last for me, but they still come somewhere; and other HD gaming may leave me feeling spoiled when it comes to playing this.

Edited by Rummy

Two things here - this is the Nintendo forum and not the PS4 forum. Also I see Ronnie pulled up on a number of things by a number of people, not specifically just who or what you're referring to in this moment. Not an argument on either side of a response to yours - just something I'm pointing out rather than getting into the meat of that.

Secondly, and more importantly for me - I am both a member and a moderator. I moderate when I have to, but I'm still a member at the end of the day. I post generally as a member. My opinions on people or games or topics or discussions, I genuinely believe, do not impact on my ability to moderate when needed. I wonder sometimes as I think people get confused about that - and whilst I can't speak for everyone, I want to make that point very clear for myself. My posts as a member are not a reflection of my ability as a moderator.

Edited by Rummy

Emily Rogers now saying she may have been wrong about Zelda, and that it's actually releasing in March (in North America), not 3-6 months later.

Emily Rogers now saying she may have been wrong about Zelda, and that it's actually releasing in March (in North America), not 3-6 months later.

GAME and Smyths, at least here in Nottingham, have been advertising it for March as a launch title for the past 3-4 weeks so it wouldn't surprise me if we end up playing it sooner rather than later.

That's great news, though I do wonder if this means Mario will be postponed a bit

I guess past release schedules would suggest that's the case, but I kind of like the idea of Mario at Christmas, though either works for me.

After it was showcased on Jimmy Fallon I was optimistic that it would come out at launch, so it's great to hear that things have changed and the game is now on course for a March release.

I bet that Zelda will be at launch in the US and Mario in June there. While in Europe, it'll be the opposite, just to piss you guys off ;)

Edited by Dcubed

I bet that Zelda will be at launch in the US and Mario in June there. While in Europe, it'll be the opposite, just to piss you guys off ;)

Honestly, that's what i've been thinking. Nintendo are no strangers to switching game releases around between regions and given that the rumoured delay for Zelda was to do with localisation, I think this is a fair bet.