NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I'm starting to get a bit worried. The game world seems kind of barren and Nintendo haven't really shown any semblance of a story apart from the intro.

Hope there'll be a proper size city and some story progression.

I wouldn't worry about things just yet, they've only really shown proper gameplay of a couple of areas - the main field & a couple of shrines from E3, and the lead up to what looked like a temple at the Game Awards. If we'd had a full blow out and still thought it looked barren then you'd have something to worry about but at the moment they're clearly just holding stuff back. I have faith that they've listened to peoples complaints about how barren Twilight Princess was.

I don't think it's feasible to expect turning every corner and running into something new. The wilderness doesn't work like that, it's supposed to be barren, but with 100+ shrines and enemy encampments, towns, dungeons, towers etc it should be fine.

I am hoping that areas that aren't showing are more populated. The first shot from that Fallon video all I could think of was "so there's one tree...?" Obviously more popped up, and I knew it would, but just seems to be a bit scattered. Which could work narratively, but it's a shame we've been fed stuff from the same area over and over again that we can't really compare.

Part of me is worried that it's going to be a huge but empty area and while I like that they're going for a bigger setting, it will be less impressive if its just...well...the Wind Waker ocean.

I wouldn't worry about things just yet, they've only really shown proper gameplay of a couple of areas - the main field & a couple of shrines from E3, and the lead up to what looked like a temple at the Game Awards. If we'd had a full blow out and still thought it looked barren then you'd have something to worry about but at the moment they're clearly just holding stuff back. I have faith that they've listened to peoples complaints about how barren Twilight Princess was.

The bolded. The constant state of 'worry' on this board is boarderline pathological. Why is worry/fear always the first emotional response to things we know very little about? Surely it's healthier to give things we know very little about the benefit of the doubt? Especially when what we do know/have seen has been largely positive - this also includes the Switch. Chill out.

I like the fact that we know so little about it. I'm completely fed up with everything about games being revealed before launch. I'm not worried because, software wise, Nintendo don't let us down.

Edited by Serebii

The bolded. The constant state of 'worry' on this board is boarderline pathological. Why is worry/fear always the first emotional response to things we know very little about? Surely it's healthier to give things we know very little about the benefit of the doubt? Especially when what we do know/have seen has been largely positive - this also includes the Switch. Chill out.

Because we've been giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt for an absolute age it feels! The WiiU showed us we can't give them that luxury any more or we'll just get burnt once again!

Because we've been giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt for an absolute age it feels! The WiiU showed us we can't give them that luxury any more or we'll just get burnt once again!

But this is a game? That many people have played and loved it. Nintendo rarely let us down on games. So it doesn't apply. It's just this boards fascination with being painfully negative about almost everything. Even when the people who actually experience it have been unanimously positive about it.

But this is a game? That many people have played and loved it. Nintendo rarely let us down on games. So it doesn't apply. It's just this boards fascination with being painfully negative about almost everything. Even when the people who actually experience it have been unanimously positive about it.

Exactly.

Aside from amiibo Festival, every single game Nintendo put out themselves on the Wii U was at worst really good and at best phenomenal. Yes, the Wii U had some questionable design choices and there are OS features that would have been nice, but the games themselves have been amazing.

I have no doubts that Nintendo's software on Switch will be equally as good

Dude...you can't just say that in here.

As for myself: I still worry that the game won't appeal to me as much because for me Nintendo's recent software output has been disappointing. I don't deny that objectively BotW will be amazing but from what I've seen...meh. ::shrug:

Exactly.

Aside from amiibo Festival, every single game Nintendo put out themselves on the Wii U was at worst really good and at best phenomenal. Yes, the Wii U had some questionable design choices and there are OS features that would have been nice, but the games themselves have been amazing.

I have no doubts that Nintendo's software on Switch will be equally as good

For you. For you.

People have been dispapointed by Wii U's software. Granted the most common criticism ("its good but nothing really new") doesn't look like it's going to apply here, but please don't try and speak for everyone (as you did in your previous post where you said they haven't let "us" down).

I felt let down with Splatoon, MK8, Smash, SM3DW and Pikmin 3. They were good, don't get me wrong but they didn't feel great!

Pikmin 3 was the closest to great for me but lack of online for multiplayer hurt it and I felt let down by that.

They let me down a hell of a lot for software, I worry this may extend to Zelda.

I am hoping that areas that aren't showing are more populated. The first shot from that Fallon video all I could think of was "so there's one tree...?" Obviously more popped up, and I knew it would, but just seems to be a bit scattered. Which could work narratively, but it's a shame we've been fed stuff from the same area over and over again that we can't really compare.

The Game Awards footage had a new area, some hazy forest like area

kActIR.jpg

For you. For you.

People have been dispapointed by Wii U's software. Granted the most common criticism ("its good but nothing really new") doesn't look like it's going to apply here, but please don't try and speak for everyone (as you did in your previous post where you said they haven't let "us" down).

Ever consider that you are the outliers considering these games have had high critical and non-critical praise?

I felt let down with Splatoon, MK8, Smash, SM3DW and Pikmin 3. They were good, don't get me wrong but they didn't feel great!

Pikmin 3 was the closest to great for me but lack of online for multiplayer hurt it and I felt let down by that.

They let me down a hell of a lot for software, I worry this may extend to Zelda.

I thought you were only disappointed at the lack of online on them all. Barring online (which isn't relevant to Zelda) you were disappointed in those games?

For you. For you.

How come it's okay for you to say "people" and Kav to say "we" but Serebii speaks in broader terms and you have a go at him for it?

Ever consider that you are the outliers considering these games have had high critical and non-critical praise?

Everyone loved Wii U games, that's why Wii U systems just flew off the shelves.

Yes enjoyment of a game is separate to critical and financial success. I think many that are disappointed acknowledge they are good/have done well, but it's disappointing for other reasons (primarily little has changed since the last iteration).

Works the other way too. It's why Suicide Squad can be both critically panned but the highest rated film on IMDB this year.

Opinions, they may not make sense but they are there.

Everyone loved Wii U games, that's why Wii U systems just flew off the shelves.

Because popularity = quality everybody!!!

All those games reviewed extremely well. @Serebii is obviously talking about how they were received critically in the industry, not to him personally as @Ashley suggested. The above five have 81, 88, 92, 93 and 87 scores on Metacritic respectively.

Here is again... Because popularity = quality everybody!!!

Can you explain to me why, if the Wii U had the best games ever, why so few people picked the system up? It's something I have trouble wrapping my head around. So far nobody has provided me with a decent answer.

I don't know about you, but I've noticed that things that are pretty fucking rad do shift units. I mean, Final Fantasy VII pretty much sold the PS1. And Wii U was a decent price, right? It had a Pro controller option for traditional gamers. Even X1 has sold reasonably well after an initial god-awful pitching of their product so I don't think we can say it's just down to that.

Funny that people weren't all clamouring to buy the system when the next predictable and safe sequel released. I've said it before, but Nintendo are a shadow of their former self.

Edited by Sheikah

Can you explain to me why, if the Wii U had the best games ever, why so few people picked the system up? It's something I have trouble wrapping my head around. So far nobody has provided me with a decent answer.

I mean...Wii U was a decent price, right? It had a Pro controller option for traditional gamers. Even X1 has sold reasonably well after an initial god-awful pitching of their product so I don't think we can say it's just down to that.

Funny that people weren't all clamouring to buy the system when the next predictable and safe sequel released. I've said it before, but Nintendo are a shadow of their former self.

You're honestly equating hardware sales to game quality? I should have stopped listening when you said PS4 Pros would fly off the shelves.

How come it's okay for you to say "people" and Kav to say "we" but Serebii speaks in broader terms and you have a go at him for it?

Sorry just seen this.

"People" without any kind of quantifier or article doesn't necessarily mean "all people" and I was using it as "some people" but I appreciate that wasn't clear and can be down to personal interpretation (if I see "people" in isolation I assume it means some, but I shouldn't assume people think the same and I apologise for this).

As for Kav, I assumed he was talking about those that have been disappointed (i.e. "we that are disappointed have..." rather than "we all have") and I guess it just didn't really register as much as I didn't feel like he was trying to talk for me in the same way Serebii seemed to be.

You're honestly equating hardware sales to game quality? I should have stopped listening when you said PS4 Pros would fly off the shelves.

I think what he's trying to say is people are disappointed in the Wii U/Nintendo's software and the poor sales is evidence of this because if it was so appealing it would (might) sell more. It's not that sales = quality, it's that quality != enjoyment/desire.

No I'm asking a simple question. If Wii U had the best games, as in games that most people genuinely people thought were the best (as counter to Serebii's comment about Ashley being an outlier), then why did few people pick the system up to play these games?

Can you answer this question?