NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I'll admit, I'm not the biggest Zelda fan in the world (Pokémon has been the only consistent Nintendo thing in my life if I'm totally honest), but this game has me extremely intrigued and excited. The visuals look amazing - graphically there seem to be hiccups but I assume they're cleaning them up before the Switch presentation in Jan - and this is the first game in a long time I've seen advertising for being solely from the game, as opposed to cinematic trailers rendered in glorious fashion, and if anything that makes me even more excited. My only problem will be if the rumours are true about it being "delayed" again until next summer - specifically June - as this will likely delay my purchase of the Switch altogether, and would seem a poor move on Nintendo's part for obvious reasons. Then again, the prospect of Mario at launch, Zelda a quarter later and then the first console version of a main series Pokémon game certainly spaces out tent pole releases in a similar fashion to, say, a certain successful comic book movie universe, and having 2 of the 3 aforementioned games at launch would likely sell consoles but not games.

Alas, I do find myself with a question towards you Zelda fans, who seem to have a much more solid grounding in the lore of the franchise than I. I'm thinking of purchasing some Zelda games and history in January, specifically Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Hyrule Historia, to prepare myself for the Zelda launch and have a much stronger footing in the lore. I'm without a Wii U, but do have a 3DS and Wii: are there any games other than those I mentioned that you would propose I play (in the aforementioned consoles), and would OoT and MM put me in good stead for having a greater understanding of the franchise as a whole?

Cheers in advance :P

Definitely OOT on 3DS. You could buy Gamecube Wind Waker and a controller on eBay and play it on the Wii.

They'd be the two games I'd recommend.

Continuing the timeline at the very end of any of the three timelines would be interesting, and I will never stop hoping we will see Toon Link on the big screen again someday.

I always hoped for a proper Wind Waker series. They could use what they wanted from its Zelda roots, but not be constrained by it. The idea was just too good.

I'm without a Wii U, but do have a 3DS and Wii: are there any games other than those I mentioned that you would propose I play (in the aforementioned consoles), and would OoT and MM put me in good stead for having a greater understanding of the franchise as a whole?

For anyone in general, I would most recommend:

A Link to the Past

Link's Awakening (not for the lore - it's just brilliant)

Ocarina of Time

Wind Waker

Twilight Princess

But for you, I don't think it's worth the hassle of tracking down a GC/Wii U just for WW and TP. Honestly, I think a grounding in the 2D games would be enough to prepare you for Breath of the Wild. If you enjoy using your Wii, go for LttP and OOT. If you prefer the 3DS, you'd be just as well advised to download Link's Awakening.

EDIT - Retro Link pointed out two ways to play the games that I'd forgotten. WW on Wii and OOT on 3DS are about the best two to go for.

Edited by Grazza

In this video, we see the game on Switch! About 6 minutes in.

Edited by MindFreak

Definitely seems to be running much better than we've seen on Wii U, thankfully, at least in the small segment we see here. The framerate from the Game Awards footage had me very worried.

Great that Nintendo brought the Switch along.

The land textures bother me... how they're kind of just patches of colour.

Compromised.

It looks even better on the Switch! All of the focus on Zelda this past week has convinced me that the game has to be a launch title on the Switch, it just wouldn't make sense for them to devote so much attention to it and then for it to not be available until June.

Great that Nintendo brought the Switch along.

The land textures bother me... how they're kind of just patches of colour.

Compromised.

Yeah it's a shame that's it's essentially just a beefed up Wii U game, but apparently the Switch footage was running at 60 FPS which is brilliant. I don't think the game looks too great graphically but I bet it looks better in person.

Are you going to be getting a Switch then? It's looking pretty promising so far.

It looks even better on the Switch! All of the focus on Zelda this past week has convinced me that the game has to be a launch title on the Switch, it just wouldn't make sense for them to devote so much attention to it and then for it to not be available until June.

I agree. If this isn't somehow a launch title it would be a massive mistake, but actually using it as opposed to say, Mario, which is reportedly a launch title, in the event that Zelda isn't a launch title would be barmy.

Luckily, only a little over a month to go until its release date should be revealed.

I'm loving everything we've seen so far, definitely going to be getting a Switch at launch if Zelda is a launch title, might sit on it a while if not.

Yeah it's a shame that's it's essentially just a beefed up Wii U game, but apparently the Switch footage was running at 60 FPS which is brilliant. I don't think the game looks too great graphically but I bet it looks better in person.

Are you going to be getting a Switch then? It's looking pretty promising so far.

At the moment I can't see me not, but I'm waiting for a bit more info.

Gamecube games is a huge draw - providing they're diverse.

Pokémon is a draw.

What Mario Switch is will be a big factor. And really along with that, I'm going to wait to see concept footage of what they're doing with their franchises on the Switch.

But I'm loving what I'm seeing/hearing so far. Stark contrast to the Wii U.

Wow. If the Switch version actually runs at 60fps, that'd be brilliant. I've wanted 3D Zelda to be 60fps for ages.

I can't imagine it's 60fps, that seems very unlikely. There aren't many openworld games on PS4 that are 60fps, let alone lesser hardware

I can't imagine it's 60fps, that seems very unlikely. There aren't many openworld games on PS4 that are 60fps, let alone lesser hardware

It's a game built for Wii U hardware running on the Switch so actually 60 FPS shouldn't be too surprising, given the huge jump from Wii U to Switch. It's similar to why so many cross gen games run better on PS4/XBO than 360/PS3.

I doubt it would maintain 30 fps on Wii U though.

Is there a huge jump between Wii U and Switch though? The Switch is basically a handheld after all. It may be built for Wii U hardware but it doesn't seem to run well at all there.

Is there a huge jump between Wii U and Switch though? The Switch is basically a handheld after all. It may be built for Wii U hardware but it doesn't seem to run well at all there.

'The Switch is basically a handheld after all.' You're forgetting that once it's docked it's running at full power; it handheld mode it's not running at 100%. Given what we know and given that NVidia are going to provide a lot of development support for the console, we can probably expect to see the Switch get close to XBO levels of power when it's docked.

It shouldn't be too surprising to see the Wii U version struggle; it's well known just how weak the Wii U CPU is.

'The Switch is basically a handheld after all.' You're forgetting that once it's docked it's running at full power; it handheld mode it's not running at 100%. Given what we know and given that NVidia are going to provide a lot of development support for the console, we can probably expect to see the Switch get close to XBO levels of power when it's docked.

It shouldn't be too surprising to see the Wii U version struggle; it's well known just how weak the Wii U CPU is.

Hmm I wasn't aware it was confirmed that docking it ups the power? Interesting if so.

Hmm I wasn't aware it was confirmed that docking it ups the power? Interesting if so.

It's not confirmed, it's just the latest "leak" I believe.

It's not confirmed, it's just the latest "leak" I believe.

Ah right. Who leaked it? If it's Eurogamer, I'll buy it!

LEAKS ARE WEAK DOWN WITH JOURNALISTS.

But yeah, rumour is dock cools the console a bit more so it can beef up compared to handheld/undocked I believe.

Couldn't you just spin around with your hands out, in mobile mode, thereby cooling it, and running it faster?

Yes.

Couldn't you just spin around with your hands out, in mobile mode, thereby cooling it, and running it faster?

Yes.

I think the rumour also addressed the dock providing mains power to the internals to facilitate the added energy requirements associated with the boost.

So you'd probably need to sort power some how.

Yes good point about the wii u. The Wii U version really will be DOA. The reviews and marketing will all point towards the definitive switch version.

Yes good point about the wii u. The Wii U version really will be DOA. The reviews and marketing will all point towards the definitive switch version.

looks that way.. I hope it isn't the case though, I probably won't end up getting the game if the Wii U version is significantly weaker, I ended up missing out on twilight princess on the gamecube.. though I'm not quite sure why now I think of it

I bought Twilight Princess on the Wii because I was getting the Wii, that really is the only reason.

So I may be getting the WiiU version of this, I'll know come January 13th (I hope).