NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

10 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I slotted this back in last week. Last saves were almost exactly two years ago, give or take a month!

And I'm trying to like it, really I am. Not that I disliked it before, I just didn't feel compelled to carry on with it after somewhere in the region of 25 hours played and not a great deal done. :(

Like, I applaud them for doing something this radically different with Zelda--I have no problem with that whatsoever, and like many others, was calling for a shake-up after Skyward Sword. I just think they went too far in the opposite direction of the Zelda formula.

Weirdly, I had an experience not totally dissimilar to yours where I ended up putting the game down: I picked it up two years ago when I got my Switch, played it for 40 hours across the space of a week, and then my interest kind of just dissipated. I then picked it back up some 8 months after that, thinking I'd just critical path the other two Divine Beasts before making my way to Hyrule Castle, probably 5-10 hours at a push, and ended up nearly doubling my time with the game to 75+ hours. 

Breath of the Wild is such a weird game for me, and this is as someone with very limited Zelda experience: 10-15 hours of Ocarina of Time, 5-10 hours of Spirit Tracks, and a few hours here and there such into the original game and A Link to the Past. Breath of the Wild is the only Zelda game I've seen credits roll for, which probably sounds sacrilegious to some :p

I think what Breath of the Wild sorely lacks is any sense of urgency and immediacy, as @Hero-of-Time touched on, in that while having immediate access to the game's main boss is a very cool idea and places a lot of faith in the player to find their own way to enjoy the game, it also makes many tasks in the game feel not necessarily pointless, but aimless. The game's difficulty plateaus probably 10-20 hours in depending on how many battles you take part in, and I'm not saying that in the sense that there isn't any challenge - if you don't pay attention, well yeah, you'll probably die - but there's no real escalation to that challenge once you've seen every enemy type. And the more time you put into the game, the "easier" some later parts of the game become, which have been trivialised if you've been going out and experiencing what the game points you towards, the Divine Beasts. 

The map being empty besides the stamps you leave and location names is great, and unlike pretty much every other open world game I've played, that moment of paralysis where I open the map for the first time, see too much stuff to do, and have to make a decision then and there on if I'm in or out on doing it all never happened: I knew full well that this game was too big for me to do everything going into it, and not having all of that on the map made it easy for me to focus on my adventure. The problem for me was that without a sense of immediacy, such as more fleshed out quests or a half decent story to carry me through until the end, it felt like there was perhaps a bit too much space between each point of interest. Some shrines are fantastic, others not so much, and I thought that the Divine Beasts were a genuine snooze fest. 

And then there's the whole debacle over weapon degradation. My two cents is simply that the ability to repair your weapons, as well as an upgrade option for both the durability and power of your weapon, driven by rupees and material gathering, would pretty easily solve things. 

I don't think Breath of the Wild is flawless, but I think it's a game you need to experience yourself just to figure out where you land on it. I like it much more than I don't, because despite my issues with it, it filled me with a sense of wonder and childlike awe I very rarely experience, in any medium, let alone just in video games. 

It's a very lonely and isolating experience, and that in itself can make it uncomfortable and aimless, but it's those moments that you experience by yourself - coming over the top of a hill as the sun rises over a valley and you see a village in the distance, when some soft notes kick in; thinking up a solution to a puzzle that feels outside the box; climbing up somewhere high, putting a bunch of stamps on your map, and then gliding in any direction that takes your fancy - that make it worthwhile, in my opinion. The first time something in the sky was nearby, the music kicked in, I didn't know what was happening at all, and then looked up to find something which left my jaw agape and made me tear up.

I think there's a really solid foundation for the sequel to build on, and I hope they go some ways to fixing some of the issues myself and others have talked about. Breath of the Wild in my eyes is one of the best open world games to capture that sense of adventure, but beyond that, I think it's flaws are very noticeable and I think the criticism is absolutely justified. 

As others have mentioned, it's probably not worth sticking with it if you have already put a load of time into the game and still find yourself bouncing off it; you don't owe the game anything. It's one of few games in my mind where it doesn't seem to care at all if you see it through to the end - for better and for worse, I suppose this is why it lacks a plot at it's core - but just wants to be experienced. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it is a valid criticism to have. Personally i am the opposite. I hate games where there is a set path, and only one way to get through it. i think perhaps because it highlights how shit i am at games, and it makes me feel bad. With open games, I can pretend that i didn't want to go that way anyway, and go do something else. 2D side scrollers genuinely fill me with anxiety.

I felt similar to others at the beginning of BOTW. I felt a bit aimless, and I ran away from a lot of the enemies because I felt underpowered (I didn't fight a Guardian properly until about 40 hours in). I even stopped playing for a few months, same as you, and then picked it up a while later to start up again. But that second time, i plugged away at it, and slowly got a bit stronger - worked my way across the map doing shrines and picking up hearts. Eventually, you realise that you are strong enough to take on the more difficult enemies, and the game opens up a lot more. 

I think that if the game didn't have Zelda in the title, it wouldn't be so divisive. People who hate open world games just wouldn't play it, and those who do would have a very enjoyable experience. The (probably large) subset of Zelda fans who hate open world games feel like they have to play it, and then get very angry when they do so.

• Like 3

I tend to prefer a more linear game but I'm fine with open world as well. I enjoyed most of my time with BotW but my big issue was they built this amazing world with different ways of interacting etc then filled it with very little. Any ruins or towns felt limited or sometimes disconnected from the calamity world we were supposed to be in and when you did meet people it was always very surface level conversations or routes they would be taking. It's an unfair comparison but one I made anyway, I kept thinking about Witcher 3 while I was playing it and how that felt like a real, bustling world with lives going on and BotW felt like an empty sandbox.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2021 at 2:41 PM, Glen-i said:

I mean this in the best possible way, @darksnowman.

You sound just like me.

Reading through your post, it's remarkable how much your view mirrors mine. I was just so bored throughout BotW and it doesn't get any better. If you don't like it after 40 hours, you probably won't like it at the end.

It's funny you mention Age of Calamity, because it plays nothing like BotW. Way more action packed and the combat is far more engaging! I hated BotW, but loved Age of Calamity! They really are polar opposites.

Also, things don't kill you in one hit all the time at the start, which is nice.

If I thought someone was going to tell me I've been playing the game wrong... :indeed: Good to know this disconnect with BotW has happened to the best of us.

Yeah, let's see if I end up caring about these characters enough to want to see what went down before Links 100-year sleep. I expect Age of Calamity is similar to (but not exactly like) Persona 5 Strikers which is pretty fun to play once you get into it.

On 12/05/2021 at 4:29 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Thanks for your thoughts/impressions, @darksnowman. They mirror how a few of us on here feel about the game and so you’re in good company. :) 

I think it comes down to what type of gamer you are. I much prefer a structured approach to things and I’m quite happy to be led from point A to point B. Leave me to find my own fun within a game and I just don’t see the appeal. It’s why I’m not big on the Animal Crossing series. 

As for the AoC talk, I actually just bought it and started playing it the other day. The story beats are interesting and it’s kinda what I wanted from BotW, at least in terms of telling a narrative. I do love the DW type games and think it’s hard to compare AoC to BotW because they are offer very different experiences. All you can say is which you find the most fun, which Glen has done.

Thanks for reading! I feel a bit better about BotW since straightening out my thoughts on it in that previous post. I did a run-through of Link to the Past on Switch a few weekends ago and with so much crammed into its much smaller world(s) it really shows what a massive contrast BotW is. 

A lot of the time I think I know what kind of gamer I am, but it comes down to the game, too. Sometimes a tried and tested type of game doesn't click, then other times something you wouldn't normally go for is just the tonic. I thought you would be okay with Breath of the Wild overall though because of the resource gathering and cooking giving it a Monster Hunter kind of flavour. :p By the way, I'm not sure if you've noticed but you have 200+ hours logged on Animal Crossing: New Horizons so to the untrained eye it looks like you're fairly big on it...!

On 12/05/2021 at 6:52 PM, MindFreak said:

Same with me. However, for some reason, I did enjoy BotW when I played it. It had enough points of interests and I made some sub-tasks for me to complete (find all shrines, find some dragon, find each memory, ...). 

Yeah, I think it comes down to whether your own curiosity can sustain you in this one. I have three memories, any tips on how to get the rest? I think the images with Hyrule Castle in the background are the only ones I realistically have a chance of figuring out. The rest look like pretty random locations!

On 12/05/2021 at 11:40 PM, Julius said:

Weirdly, I had an experience not totally dissimilar to yours where I ended up putting the game down: I picked it up two years ago when I got my Switch, played it for 40 hours across the space of a week, and then my interest kind of just dissipated. I then picked it back up some 8 months after that, thinking I'd just critical path the other two Divine Beasts before making my way to Hyrule Castle, probably 5-10 hours at a push, and ended up nearly doubling my time with the game to 75+ hours. 
------
I think what Breath of the Wild sorely lacks is any sense of urgency and immediacy, as @Hero-of-Time touched on, in that while having immediate access to the game's main boss is a very cool idea and places a lot of faith in the player to find their own way to enjoy the game, it also makes many tasks in the game feel not necessarily pointless, but aimless. 
-------
And then there's the whole debacle over weapon degradation. My two cents is simply that the ability to repair your weapons, as well as an upgrade option for both the durability and power of your weapon, driven by rupees and material gathering, would pretty easily solve things. 
-------
The first time something in the sky was nearby, the music kicked in, I didn't know what was happening at all, and then looked up to find something which left my jaw agape and made me tear up.

Absolutely, even though I didn't say it, I am also thinking of gunning it to the end. :blush: 

It is such a different mentality and approach with BotW not really steering you in any particular direction at all. Kill Ganon! ...if you can get close to the castle. Okay game, so what should I do to get powered up for the showdown with Ganon, then? Just... run around... and see what I bump into? Sure, then. Princess Zelda has been fine in there for a century, what's another 100 years to her while I climb some trees...

Being okay with RPGs where you have a finite number of weapon uses before they are gone, I'm coping with the weapon degradation in BotW. I'd prefer it not to be there, but I'm making do. It helps that I'm avoiding the vast, vast, vast majority of enemies. :p A way to repair/ upgrade would be welcome. I hope Nintendo are taking note!

On 13/05/2021 at 10:58 AM, bob said:

I think it is a valid criticism to have. Personally i am the opposite. I hate games where there is a set path, and only one way to get through it. i think perhaps because it highlights how shit i am at games, and it makes me feel bad. With open games, I can pretend that i didn't want to go that way anyway, and go do something else. 2D side scrollers genuinely fill me with anxiety.

I felt similar to others at the beginning of BOTW. I felt a bit aimless, and I ran away from a lot of the enemies because I felt underpowered (I didn't fight a Guardian properly until about 40 hours in). I even stopped playing for a few months, same as you, and then picked it up a while later to start up again. But that second time, i plugged away at it, and slowly got a bit stronger - worked my way across the map doing shrines and picking up hearts. Eventually, you realise that you are strong enough to take on the more difficult enemies, and the game opens up a lot more. 

I think that if the game didn't have Zelda in the title, it wouldn't be so divisive. People who hate open world games just wouldn't play it, and those who do would have a very enjoyable experience. The (probably large) subset of Zelda fans who hate open world games feel like they have to play it, and then get very angry when they do so.

I think you are right with everything here, evaluation of your own skill level included. ;)

Exploration and deviation from the beaten path is all good, in my opinion, but there needs to be a path to deviate from. In BotW that path is from the Temple of Time to Hyrule Castle and the entire rest of the map is there for optional exploration. I am slowly getting stronger in the game too, now. Just wish it had happened sooner for me! I am going for hearts instead of stamina. 

Yeah, I honestly can't say if I have played any other open-world games. Seems crazy but nothing springs to mind. I'm up for trying an Assassins Creed, Witcher 3 or Lego City or something on Switch if I ever get a quiet spell, so don't get me wrong, I'm not against these types of games by any means. Just being a Nintendo console owner means certain games passed me by until Switch. You'd think I'd be ripe, then, for Nintendo's take on the open-world genre in BotW!

On 13/05/2021 at 12:00 PM, Happenstance said:

I tend to prefer a more linear game but I'm fine with open world as well. I enjoyed most of my time with BotW but my big issue was they built this amazing world with different ways of interacting etc then filled it with very little. Any ruins or towns felt limited or sometimes disconnected from the calamity world we were supposed to be in and when you did meet people it was always very surface level conversations or routes they would be taking. It's an unfair comparison but one I made anyway, I kept thinking about Witcher 3 while I was playing it and how that felt like a real, bustling world with lives going on and BotW felt like an empty sandbox.

So the consensus is that BotW is far more barren than the average open-world game? 

It's really cool in a Zelda game to see people out and about on the overworld. But then it is so strange since there is nowhere for them to go. :p They'd be better sitting tight and fortifying their towns! I've come across some stables that don't even have fences to provide the pretence of protection. Nintendo have put together this post-apocalyptic world where everything is more than a bit casual for the NPCs outside a couple of set-ups where you can rescue a wanderer from some goblins. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've made progress. I left the boss hanging and exited the Divine Beast. I thought: let's say I'd been playing the game in a linear fashion that'd mean I would have gone Kakariko to Hateno to Divine Beast, so I warped back to those towns where I stocked up on arrows and probably more importantly, bought new armor which I upgraded at the nearby Great Fairy fountain as I'd gone there to grab some fairies, because this being a Zelda game and all, why was I attempting a boss without a fairy or two in my inventory? Really glad I talked to the Great Fairy to see what she was about again as the upgrades made me capable, at last, of tanking a hit so I went back and took down the first boss with relative ease. In fact, with such ease, that I pulled up the map and warped straight over to the area of the flying divine beast and did that immediately after. My walkabout had taken me to that area two years ago but I hadn't engaged with it at all. It was really quick and easy as it followed the same template of find local helper, do something, gain access to the level. I had been hoarding three fire weapons which came good to keep Link warm in the high altitude temperatures. I remember reviews said things like that was mindblowing for the snow zone so I was glad to see it was just as effective at altitude.

So I went from zero to having mastodon and pterodactyl done and dusted in the same night! Next up sabre tooth tiger?

There's still four or five map areas to fill in but I'm kind of making peace with maybe never getting them. I came across a rundown area that looked like a horseback shooting gallery and instead of thinking I need to come back with a horse to check for secrets, I just ran on without worrying about it. I'm not sure where to go next but I have a couple of questions:

- Can horses die? I was galloping away from a Lynel and it somehow struck me off the horse I was on (freshly tamed and stabled), and as I was warping away, the horse looked like it was splayed out on the ground. :o 
- Rupees. I want to buy more armour. Where are the rupees?
- How do boomerangs work? I had one, I threw it at a chuchu with R, it did not come back. What did I do wrong?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Yeah, let's see if I end up caring about these characters enough to want to see what went down before Links 100-year sleep. I expect Age of Calamity is similar to (but not exactly like) Persona 5 Strikers which is pretty fun to play once you get into it.

Oh, if you like the combat in that game, then that's a good sign.

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

- Can horses die? I was galloping away from a Lynel and it somehow struck me off the horse I was on (freshly tamed and stabled), and as I was warping away, the horse looked like it was splayed out on the ground. :o 

- Rupees. I want to buy more armour. Where are the rupees?
- How do boomerangs work? I had one, I threw it at a chuchu with R, it did not come back. What did I do wrong?

Yes, they can die. There's a way to bring them back though if you really care.

Hah, Rupees! You're funny. Rupees are almost non-existant in this game. You'll have to sell stuff.

You have to actually position yourself in a way so that the boomerang will return to you (Basically, stand still) and then you have to manually catch it with a well timed button press, or it'll just fall on to the ground. Also, make sure you don't hit a wall or something, otherwise it's not coming back.

Suffice to say, once I realised this after my first throw, I didn't bother with a Boomerang ever again. Completely useless. You might as well just use a bow.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Sad 1

On 15/05/2021 at 8:13 AM, Glen-i said:

Oh, if you like the combat in that game, then that's a good sign.

Yes, they can die. There's a way to bring them back though if you really care.

Hah, Rupees! You're funny. Rupees are almost non-existant in this game. You'll have to sell stuff.

You have to actually position yourself in a way so that the boomerang will return to you (Basically, stand still) and then you have to manually catch it with a well timed button press, or it'll just fall on to the ground. Also, make sure you don't hit a wall or something, otherwise it's not coming back.

Suffice to say, once I realised this after my first throw, I didn't bother with a Boomerang ever again. Completely useless. You might as well just use a bow.

That's unexpected with the horses. :blank: And sad, and dark.

I've been reading back through the thread and saw there is a rupee trick but I'm not sure if I'll exploit it. My height of interaction with that electro-dragon was to try to land on it... which, it turned out, wasn't my best idea. :laughing: To get some cash I sold off some consumables, like you said, to fund the unlocking of a second Great Fairy Fountain, and the guy looking 3,000 rupees for the house can take a hike. 

Aye, I think the boomerang hit a wall and disappeared. It was only +8 damage so not big loss--I just thought it would be handier than arrows for taking out keese at range.

@Julius I meant to ask, what was that moment when the music kicked in and you saw something that left your jaw agape? I want to see it too. :) 

----------------------------------

I went and did the desert. Equipping a great iceblade (or something like that) got me across the desert. I had been keeping elemental type weapons in case they'd be useful against enemies but it seems they've been more useful warding off natures elements than anything. I also have a lightning infused sword that might come in handy some time. The desert was a decent section, overall! I felt like DK taking back my banana hoard during the stealth infiltration! :cool: And the rotational puzzle-solving in the belly of the beast itself was pretty good, too. 

The lightning boss wiped the floor with me time and time again. Honestly, I must have needed about twenty goes to take him down. It having a shield meant my expected tactic of peppering it with arrows went out the window and I ended up learning the slow-mo dodge to get me through by the skin of my teeth. His electric attacks were no joke. 

Haven't heard talk of or seen the fourth divine beast on my wanderings so not sure what direction to strike out in next. 

• Like 1

Thunderblight Ganon is easily the hardest fight in the game, so if you can beat that, you'll be able to handle the other three.

47 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Haven't heard talk of or seen the fourth divine beast on my wanderings so not sure what direction to strike out in next. 

Wait, have you not been to Kakariko Village?

25 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Thunderblight Ganon is easily the hardest fight in the game, so if you can beat that, you'll be able to handle the other three.

Wait, have you not been to Kakariko Village?

Yes. Thanks for the (potential) pointer. Will go back there and ask around! Will need to check if the fairies have respawned anyway so it will hardly take me out of my way. 

4 hours ago, darksnowman said:

the guy looking 3,000 rupees for the house can take a hike. 

Oh man, buying the house in Hateno village sets off one of the best side quests in the game!

3 hours ago, Eddage said:

Oh man, buying the house in Hateno village sets off one of the best side quests in the game!

Hard to see me having disposable rupees for it though. :(

4 hours ago, Eddage said:

Everyone says that, but I never even found that person in the first place.

World is too huge.

• Haha 1

On 17/05/2021 at 6:28 AM, darksnowman said:

@Julius I meant to ask, what was that moment when the music kicked in and you saw something that left your jaw agape? I want to see it too. :) 

Bit of a tough one to explain without spoiling it (and imagine finding it naturally was a big part of why it landed so well with me), and it's totally possible that you've come across it to some extent already. 

I'll split it up into two explanations, one with vague instructions on how to come across it, and one pretty explicitly stating it :smile: 

Spoiler

Dragon_Map_Dinraal_Path.png?width=1280

Dragon_Map_Far_Nay_Loc2.png?width=1280

Basically, you want to find yourself at the start point of the red or green arrows (i.e. their tail end) at sunrise, or for the red arrow at the head around sunset (for the green arrow I think it's path ends at the head of the arrow and disappears before popping back up in those green circles).

These are the paths of something, best to keep an eye out for updrafts and stuff in the sky. The blue circle one doesn't have a path for a reason, so there's a good chance you might have come across that already?

Spoiler

Dragons, you're looking for dragons! 

Dragon_Map_Dinraal_Path.png?width=1280

Dragon_Map_Far_Nay_Loc2.png?width=1280

These arrows are their flight paths across the skies of Hyrule, starting at sunrise and ending at sunset. If you attack them with arrows they drop off rare parts for you to harvest, which if I'm remembering right are needed for certain gear upgrades. 

Hope that helps :peace:

• Thanks 1

Aah, yeah I have seen what are talking about @Julius. I tried to glide onto the "southern one" but that ended with me being dunked in the water without enough stamina to make it to shore.

So, using the Kakariko hint from @Glen-i I discovered that Impa will tell you where to go and even put a yellow dot on the map screen. So I made a beeline for the volcano where I had to remortgage my inventory to fund an investment in a couple of heat-resistant pieces of gear. And not a moment too soon because by the time I reached the yellow marker Link was in bad nick having almost eaten through everything in his pockets just to survive long enough to get there! Not the most elegant of times but the ends justifies the means and all that.

I did the needful (took me a good while to work out how to move the canons...!) and was up against the fire boss who I took down at the second attempt. It wasn't carrying a shield so I plinked away with arrows, only dying in the latter half when trying everything to figure out how to break through its defensive shielding. I possibly died due to a bomb arrow exploding as soon as I took it from the quiver.
After that, they told me the blade of evil's bane could be found nearby so I nipped over for it then checked back with Impa who put a dot on Hyrule Castle and made no bones about telling me to get it done already. I Splinter Celled in, disposing of only the three or four enemies that got in my way. Ganon took two tries and I'd like to know if there was a different way to finish him off (in the sanctum) because it seemed like what I did was the only option. Which seemed like it went against the whole "get through the game however you want/ can" thing.

I think I've seen more fulfilling endings in Gameboy games. :laughing: 

As a final act, I went back into the game and warped over to Impa to see if she would change her tune now the credits had rolled. Nope.
20.34% completion in 70+ hours. 

BotW is really impressive and well-made game, I don't dispute that for a second. I witnessed the sun setting and rising behind hills and valleys, cliffsides and mountainsides, I experienced the emergent gameplay of fire keese setting grass alight and creating impromptu thermals that let me glide away. But for as big and impressive as it all is, I think something is lost because of the sheer size of it all. Running across huge areas just waiting to get somewhere wasn't fun. Yes, it was by and large beautiful to behold but it was also boring aside from some bits where I plotted a course between rest points on climbing surfaces. Also, I didn't really feel a lot stronger by the end. A little, sure, but I wasn't into a second row of hearts or anything like that and my inventory didn't have anything that seemed too great compared to how I started out; it didn't seem like Link progressed a lot after 70+ hours. ::shrug: 
Great game that were it improved in a few areas, imo, would truly be outstanding. 

P.S. I looked up the retro Link costumes that are posted earlier in the thread and they are locked behind amiibo. :nono: 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

P.S. looked up the retro Link costumes that are posted earlier in the thread and they are locked behind amiibo. :nono: 

Don't worry, they're useless anyway.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

In today's "gamers being idiots" news

Everyone knows that you just pass your little brother the controller that's not connected, and suddenly everything's multiplayer :p

I don't know the game well enough to understand why that's impressive. :( Ice beating fire seems expected. ::shrug: 

Here's 20 more from last month and a playlist with a bunch more similar videos:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpg6WLs8kxGO0sUCxow2TVQfHW1s7wBbY

I've watched a few of those as they crop up in my recommendations now and again. I'm yet to be inspired to slot in the game and try any of it for myself though. :p 

See, this is something I find quite strange. There's this whole YouTube culture of BotW videos that are "Secrets you didn't know" as if BotW is the only game where this kind of stuff happens.

Really, those videos are done for clicks from people who play BotW, but obscure stuff is being found in plenty of games to this day. You just gotta watch Games Done Quick to see loads of instances of "we just discovered this recently"

A far more impressive example is a particular sidequest from Final Fantasy IX.

• One of the most obscure secrets ever is the Nero Family sidequest. You have to progress with the final dungeon a certain amount but not too much, then backtrack to Lindblum to activate a cutscene, and repeat the process nine times. No wonder, really, that it remained unknown for over a decade after the game's release.

Now that's something that's worthy of praise.

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

See, this is something I find quite strange. There's this whole YouTube culture of BotW videos that are "Secrets you didn't know" as if BotW is the only game where this kind of stuff happens.

Really, those videos are done for clicks from people who play BotW, but obscure stuff is being found in plenty of games to this day. You just gotta watch Games Done Quick to see loads of instances of "we just discovered this recently"

A far more impressive example is a particular sidequest from Final Fantasy IX.

Now that's something that's worthy of praise.

Ah good, it had been a few days since the last "that post isn't worthy of being on this message board" bit of gate-keeping, I was getting worried.

No one is suggesting that obscure stuff doesn't happen in other games. This is a thread on BOTW, so expect Breath of the Wild secrets and new discoveries. The game is famous for that, and rightly so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Ah good, it had been a few days since the last "that post isn't worthy of being on this message board" bit of gate-keeping, I was getting worried.

When did I say you shouldn't have posted it? Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm just using it as a springboard to post my thoughts on the trend of videos about it and give another example that I think is more impressive.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

When did I say you shouldn't have posted it? Don't put words in my mouth.

Whether it's consciously done or not, it's become a running theme on this message board by you and one other for years now. Someone posts something, and either of you shoot it down and belittle it, suggesting it wasn't worthy of being posted or discussed.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Whether it's consciously done or not, it's become a running theme on this message board by you and one other for years now. Someone posts something, and either of you shoot it down and belittle it, suggesting it wasn't worthy of being posted or discussed.

But I never said that. I posted an example that is a more extreme case of "Thing gets discovered long after game is released" because you posted an example of "Thing gets discovered long after game is released" as well as my observations on how these kind of videos are unusually frequent for this game.

If anything, you're ragging on me for using your post to give my thoughts on the matter.

That's on you if you think I was trying to shut down your post. I'm just trying to give a response.

Edited by Glen-i

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

But I never said that. I posted an example that is a more extreme case of "Thing gets discovered long after game is released" because you posted an example of "Thing gets discovered long after game is released" as well as my observations on how these kind of videos are unusually frequent for this game.

If anything, you're ragging on me for using your post to give my thoughts on the matter.

That's on you if you think I was trying to shut down your post. I'm just trying to give a response.

You didn't post a more 'extreme' case, you called it "a far more impressive case", after calling stuff like my post 'strange', suggesting that because it happens in other games, it's not a big deal or worthy of praise.

Another prime example of this kind of thing,

or a more recent one I can think of

I'm not trying to make a big deal, I just find it a bit annoying at this point.

Edited by Ronnie

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You didn't post a more 'extreme' case, you called it "a far more impressive case", after calling stuff like my post 'strange', suggesting that because it happens in other games, it's not a big deal or worthy of praise.

Another prime example of this kind of thing,

or a more recent one I can think of

I'm not trying to make a big deal, I just find it a bit annoying at this point.

Well, yeah, the first example was bad on my part. Sorry.

But this time, I only wanted to post an example that I think is more impressive. It's an opinion of mine. Just trying to add other examples.

And I'm not saying your post is strange, I'm saying the trend of this is strange compared to other games. Again, another opinion of mine.

I'm just trying to add to the conversation...