NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

When Aonuma was asked about Link's appearance this is how he replied:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/10/zelda-creator-teases-that-we-didnt-see-link-in-wii-u-trailer/

Add that to his English quote in the preview right before the clip played out:

"At least that's one convention we can keep". Then gives a thumbs up. Also, could explain why there's no sword. Zelda's fond of using the bow. I'll be honest, the instant I saw it I thought,"Is that Zelda"? There's no vocal sounds either, may be deliberate as well. I know Link has been androgynous before but this is really pushing it this time if it is him.

I thought it was going to be a girl, then he took off his cloak, obviously a boy!!

We all wanted to see Zelda, but now we've seen it, it make it so much harder to wait... Unbelievable!!

Really wish they showed more though!

Maybe you can choose whether to be a boy or a girl?

Untitled-3_zpsfb4ff181.jpg

Can't see Zelda at all. That piece in the top right corner did make me think of a Rito though :P an eye and beak.

Is it my imagination or did anybody else notice the face on the arrow-head?

Untitled-3_zpsfb4ff181.jpg

Maybe it's a coincidence. No that's definitely deliberate.

I do see a face! Mario in the top-right corner, right? :heh:

I just took this to be this games version of the Light Arrows to be honest.

So are we thinking that the footage is largely a cutscene made for the presentation and none of it's gameplay right? (with only the field being representative of)

The way the enemy follows you round the corner and crashes into the wall, The bridge being destroyed... if that was gameplay you then wouldn't have a bridge; more likely it would be a cutscene of an event and you'd then go and pay someone to fix the bridge so you can bring your horse into the area across from it. Also the shield and all the gear being mounted on the back of the horse, if it were gameplay you'd think the shield would be on your back.

Surprised that they unveiled it this way, while showing no gameplay whatsoever. Very un-Nintendo like to announce something this way, showcasing the world and visual design before anything else...

... but man!

cqqqfh.gif

iixkvb.gif

dahvfi.gif

It looks like a Ghibli film! :o

I love how the celshading looks! And the lighting is so unique (note how most objects aren't necessarily lighted realistically, but rather they use a lot of rim lighting and lighted shading), it's unlike any other game I've ever seen! Everything moves, lights and shades like a hand animated 2D production :D

The way that everything pops and stands out as clearly visible is also a typical Nintendo trademark (notice how everything that is important to the scene is so easy to see - nothing gets lost in the noise of all that detail). Everything is immediately clear and readable, true to Nintendo's typical way of making games (the visual style serves the gameplay - clarity of play and player readability comes before anything else :) ). To be able to achieve that in a game of this kind of scale and detail is just amazing! Truely masterful! :D

That being said, I am worried about the direction this game is taking... The idea of them moving towards a WRPG style open world and moving away from the smaller scale hand-crafted world of Zelda leaves me very worried. The idea of Not-Link's gender being selectable and their appearance customisable (pure conjecture, but if they're taking inspiration from the likes of Skyrim...) is also concerning...

I'm excited to see them take such a brave new direction, but I'm also worried that it might lose everything that makes Zelda so special in the process...

... and to show nothing of how it plays either? Very scary... :shakehead

So are we thinking that the footage is largely a cutscene made for the presentation and none of it's gameplay right? (with only the field being representative of)

The way the enemy follows you round the corner and crashes into the wall, The bridge being destroyed... if that was gameplay you then wouldn't have a bridge; more likely it would be a cutscene of an event and you'd then go and pay someone to fix the bridge so you can bring your horse into the area across from it. Also the shield and all the gear being mounted on the back of the horse, if it were gameplay you'd think the shield would be on your back.

Of course it's a cutscene. Those camera angles aren't remotely playable! Again, very strange to see Nintendo unveil a game without showing any actual gameplay... it's not what they normally do...

Edited by Dcubed

I'm excited to see them take such a brave new direction, but I'm also worried that it might lose everything that makes Zelda so special in the process...

Aonuma knows exactly what makes Zelda so special, I'm sure we can trust him to deliver. All he's talked about is taking the series back to its open world NES roots, which is a great thing IMO. Just think back to Skyward Sword's ultra linear, disconnected world, do you really want that again with a glorified level select hub world?

Technology infiltrating the Zelda World seems like a very cool storyline if they were to take that route.

Some mad scientist as the main villian or something.

Regardless, the wait for this will be a long one...

if that was gameplay you then wouldn't have a bridge; more likely it would be a cutscene of an event and you'd then go and pay someone to fix the bridge so you can bring your horse into the area across from it.

Epona can easily jump over the broken part.

Technology infiltrating the Zelda World seems like a very cool storyline if they were to take that route.

I like this idea. If that was the theme of it, I'd be all for it.

Aonuma knows exactly what makes Zelda so special, I'm sure we can trust him to deliver. All he's talked about is taking the series back to its open world NES roots, which is a great thing IMO. Just think back to Skyward Sword's ultra linear, disconnected world, do you really want that again with a glorified level select hub world?

Well I do have full faith in Nintendo's ability to deliver. Despite not actually featuring any gameplay, the trailer itself does actually showcase Nintendo's gameplay-first design sensibilities, with how clear and readable everything in the scene is; note that despite how detailed everything is and how massive the scale is, everything important to the scene is immediately visible, clear and easy to "read" - that's exactly how Nintendo design the visuals of their games. Everything visual is designed to serve the gameplay and this trailer likewise does exactly the same thing.

Look at Zelda Wii U and compare it to something similar in scope like The Witcher 3...

2504542-3840569450-25044.gif

Notice how "noisy" the onscreen visuals are? With a realistic style, nothing really stands out from the environment. Things like grappling hook points or objects of interest are lost in a sea of realistic lighting/textures etc. Not so with the Zelda U trailer! (For a good example, watch the start of the video and take notice of how you can notice the giant enemy immediately the moment when it emerges from under the hill ;) - hell! even those tiny birds stand out fantastically from the environment amongst everything else! :o)

Edited by Dcubed

^ True. But fuck me, just look at that!!

Regardless, the wait for this will be a long one...

When you think about it though it's not wholly something new.

Seems more like a continuation of a theme established in Skyward Sword with...

part4robot.jpg

Zelda_Skyward_Sword_1104_02.png

skyward_sword_third_dungeon.jpg?w=645

ss-04nov2011-01-620x430.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

And goes with Miyamoto's new fascination with robots as well...

^ True. But fuck me, just look at that!!

When you think about it though it's not wholly anything new.

Seems more like a continuation of a theme established in Skyward Sword with...

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but maybe in this new Zelda it will take centre stage and provide a whole new set of problems for the world.

But I wonder if they will indeed be going down this route because of what you stated. It might just be a style choice after all and of course it opens the possibility of a lot of different areas and weapons again.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but maybe in this new Zelda it will take centre stage and provide a whole new set of problems for the world.

But I wonder if they will indeed be going down this route because of what you stated. It might just be a style choice after all and of course it opens the possibility of a lot of different areas and weapons again.

That enemy we saw in the trailer could be some sort of Ancient Hyrule guardian or something, would be cool.

Also the shield and all the gear being mounted on the back of the horse, if it were gameplay you'd think the shield would be on your back.

Maybe your horse, Epona?, is your inventory carrier. Instead of a traditional Zelda inventory, where everything is stuffed magical into your underwear, Epona plays a greater role in this game. Without your horse you can't carry many things with you. That would be a nice gameplay addition, making you offset which weapon, item, you require to get somewhere over another item which will have to be left behind.

Maybe your horse, Epona?, is your inventory carrier. Instead of a traditional Zelda inventory, where everything is stuffed magical into your underwear, Epona plays a greater role in this game. Without your horse you can't carry many things with you. That would be a nice gameplay addition, making you offset which weapon, item, you require to get somewhere over another item which will have to be left behind.

I love that idea but I think it might open them up to a huge amount of criticism

I love that idea but I think it might open them up to a huge amount of criticism

Didn't they already start doing something different with the shop in LBW? I thought that change was received well enough.

Could be interesting, having to complete a dungeon with only 3 items or so. Maybe there could be secret areas inside the dungeons that you could only access with an alternate route (requiring a different item combination).

Didn't they already start doing something different with the shop in LBW? I thought that change was received well enough.

Could be interesting, having to complete a dungeon with only 3 items or so. Maybe there could be secret areas inside the dungeons that you could only access with an alternate route (requiring a different item combination).

That sounds like a horrible way to add replay value to a dungeon.

That sounds like a horrible way to add replay value to a dungeon.

I was thinking more along the lines of hiding Gold Skulltulas or Heart Pieces this way. Not revisit them as part of the main quest.