NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

@Grazza - thank god you can see it! The loose-fitting top, the the arrow/quiver style, even the design on the shirt that reminds me of the motif of Ganondorf's robe in WW.

Would be absolutely amazing if Link was raised as a thief/the game started out in the desert... I want to spend hours in the desert... get bored of it, and then when its finally time to leave - fully appreciate the greens of the woods and forest.

Edited by King_V

Then Link better be an adopted Gerudo, because she doesn't look like one :heh:

Man, so the starting area/village can be a desert? That could work well with this kind of open world, maybe the Gerudos only see sand as far as the eye can see, but Link finds something mystical near the beginning that allows her to cross a sandstorm and that's when she first sees the mountains and green landscapes?

EDIT:

Would be absolutely amazing if Link was raised as a thief/the game started out in the desert... I want to bend hours in the desert... get bored of it, and then when its finally time to leave - fully appreciate the greens of the woods and forest.

Great minds, man :)

Man, so the starting area/village can be a desert? That could work well with this kind of open world, maybe the Gerudos only see sand as far as the eye can see, but Link finds something mystical near the beginning that allows her to cross a sandstorm and that's when she first sees the mountains and green landscapes?

EDIT:

Amen brother.

Desert areas are always a mix of beauty, scale and great feats in game physics - particularly in that HD cel-shaded style - Such as Molgera's battle area in WW. :heart:

And being adopted makes sense as Link always usually is.

Edited by King_V

Yeah, thinking about it, it would be weird if Link was a blood relative of Ganondorf!

I love how the clues are there and we're piecing it together. Typical Nintendo!

Desert areas are always a mix of beauty, scale and great feats in game physics - particularly in that HD cel-shaded style - Such as Molgera's battle area in WW. :heart:

My personal favourite is the one in Twilight Princess. It actually had a wide expanse to run across, plus all those boars and Bulblins around their campfires.

Does anyone remember the static camera in the side streets of Castle Town Market in OOT? I have this sudden concern that maybe the whole game is like that. Stationary camera angles that instantly cut between scenes as Link approaches various points, rather than a free-roaming one. Just a thought, not sure why it entered my mind, it just seems like a lot of work to populate that overworld from every angle.

Does anyone remember the static camera in the side streets of Castle Town Market in OOT? I have this sudden concern that maybe the whole game is like that. Stationary camera angles that instantly cut between scenes as Link approaches various points, rather than a free-roaming one. Just a thought, not sure why it entered my mind, it just seems like a lot of work to populate that overworld from every angle.

I think that would take more work than creating the huge world they're promising.

Agreed, it's something of a concern. None of the footage - literally none of it at all - reminded me of the camera angles when playing Wind Waker or Majora's Mask, for instance.

That bit where Link and the horse run into the forest... it was a very strange angle to present that from. Cinematic, but unnatural compared to the game engines they've previously built.

Hmm... :hmm:

Love that we got to see this at long last. It looks terrific but why only 30 seconds? It was ready to show last year supposedly. I really want to see more, so much more. Don't think they'll show us more though.

Love that we got to see this at long last. It looks terrific but why only 30 seconds? It was ready to show last year supposedly. I really want to see more, so much more. Don't think they'll show us more though.

Yeah, same here. This could have been shown last year and maybe something additional this year.

Still, i'm happy. Looks like a nice art style to go for.

Several elements in that trailer, including the monster, feel more like they belong in Twilight than in Hyrule.

Also, that arrow seems more electronic/mechanical than magic. Perhaps Hyrule has advanced a bit from a technological perspective?

Two doubts come to mind however. Firstly: the art style. It feels like they've just taken the look of Skyward Sword and given up on the whole oil-painting idea. Secondly, like what others here have pointed out: the game world didn't actually seem very open. Open game worlds, is what we saw in Red Dead Redemption:

Reddeadredemption_012.jpg

The trailer didn't really show any open-looking areas.

Secondly, like what others here have pointed out: the game world didn't actually seem very open. Open game worlds, is what we saw in Red Dead Redemption:

Reddeadredemption_012.jpg

The trailer didn't really show any open-looking areas.

Errr....

zXJBhOv.jpg

?

We didn't really see gameplay, though. Just Aonuma saying "This area looks like this in-game, and you can freely explore all of it, including the mountains in the distance".

It's a tall promise, but a rather specific one, too.

My favourite thing about that shot in the field is the people. Even if its pre-rendered, it's an impression of what they're aiming for/trying to achieve.

One thing I didn't like much about Twilight Princess was how dead and fake the overworld felt. It needs people moving around, going about their lives like they did in Skyrim. Even like they did in Majora's Mask. Skyward Sword achieved this somewhat but limited it to basically one town, entirely separate from the rest of the game.

It might not have been gameplay footage, but everything was that dreadful E3 term 'in-engine', so it wasn't pre-rendered CG or anything.

Well from that we can venture there's; volcano, wooden forest village, grasslands, a mountain, a big lake (sun reflecting off it), and Hyrule castle in the distance. Some sort of pool/mini basin of water before the volcano mountains. Suspicious little rocky mound/hill near centre.

I didn't actually watch the presentation, though have seen the trailer. So they said it was open-world, eh? What exactly do they mean? I get open-world as in go anywhere you want (assuming you have in-game means), but isn't that just like every Zelda game... ?

Edited by Mr_Master_X2

I didn't actually watch the presentation, though have seen the trailer. So they said it was open-world, eh? What exactly do they mean? I get open-world as in go anywhere you want (assuming you have in-game means), but isn't that just like every Zelda game... ?

I'm assuming they mean "The world isn't segmented like in TP". We have no confirmation either way, though.

A few things I can see

- Death Mountain

- A town right in the distance.

- A narrow passage between two mountains.

- NPCs, a house and goats.

- An enemy encampment, likely Bokoblins

- Stone ruins

- A few odd square pillars.

- Fences with towers.

Some mountains likely won't be climbable (you may be able to squeeze or glitch youur way up), like the one on the right side of the screen.

I do suspect that the current version of the game has some pop-in issues, which is why they didn't show them moving about there.

I'm pretty sure they mean that the overworld is one big world, rather than small areas joined together.

Edited by Cube
Automerged Doublepost

Is it my imagination or did anybody else notice the face on the arrow-head?

Untitled-3_zpsfb4ff181.jpg

Maybe it's a coincidence. No that's definitely deliberate.

Look harder. You can see an eye, nose, mouth and chin.

Look harder. You can see an eye, nose, mouth and chin.

Yeah, I see it now, Wreck-It Ralph confirmed as the boss in this game! :heh:

I'll go one further. That's not Link, I think that might be Zelda.