NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I've fallen off this pretty hard now. After I completed it the plan was to carry on doing side quests and shrines but everytime I put it on now I spend about 5 minutes wandering around and then get bored and go do something else. I guess I really did need that main "story" to keep pushing me on.

I'm the same. The amount of optional content is ridiculous. It's good if you like it, I suppose, but I need games to go at a certain pace. I've spent the past week or so doing any shrines I hadn't completed (which was OK) and more recently, upgrading my armour (which is boring). Furnishing a house and creeping round trees to find beetles really does remind me of Animal Crossing.

It is odd that there is so much you don't need to do for the main quest, and doesn't really have any use as the game stands now. I guess it links in with the DLC. It has always been my opinion that the presence of DLC negatively affects the balance of games, but I know I'm virtually alone in thinking that.

I'm about 60 hours in and haven't completed any of the memories to date, I honestly feel like I'm only scratching the surface of the game as there is just so much to do. Does Link start to remember these if you're in a specific area or do you need to do something to activate them?

I'm about 60 hours in and haven't completed any of the memories to date, I honestly feel like I'm only scratching the surface of the game as there is just so much to do. Does Link start to remember these if you're in a specific area or do you need to do something to activate them?

There are glowing spots you need to find. Once stood on, they activate the memories.

It is odd that there is so much you don't need to do for the main quest, and doesn't really have any use as the game stands now. I guess it links in with the DLC. It has always been my opinion that the presence of DLC negatively affects the balance of games, but I know I'm virtually alone in thinking that.

I think I get where you're coming from. However, in my view, this depends on the game.

Take Mario Kart 8, the DLC didn't really change the vehicle/character balance. Link wasn't inherently better than anyone else. He had the same stats as Rosalina.

On the other hand, Smash Bros. ran into some balancing issues with Corrin's counter, which was a little overpowered (Read: Totally busted and unfair) and Bayonetta's ridiculous (But tons of fun) combo possibilities.

These did get addressed in a patch. So, in the long term, the balance wasn't too eskewed.

Too soon to say how Zelda will cope, especially considering it's a single player affair.

I do miss Broken Bayonetta though.

saw this and thought i'd share it here

I had completely forgetten about the Shield reflect ability till I saw this vid, mainly cuz when I first tried it I couldn't get the timing right.

Found a Guardian to use as a test and after a couple (or several) reloads finally got the timing right and took it down with a frakking RUSTY SHIELD...mwahahahahaha

I encountered the Lord of the Mountains the other day, of course my first instinct was to shoot it with an arrow. Apparently saving and reloading doesn't guarantee it'll be there again, what exactly does it do?

If you're stealthy and have enough stamina, you can sneak up behind it and mount it. Its one of the hidden horses in the game :D. Its a shame though. You can't register it at the stables, and if you stray too far from it, it vanishes.

Its also the most beefed up horse in the entire game. Pretty cool :D.

Just did the Gerudo divine beast, spent most of the past few hours with my mouth open, amazed and enthralled. The dungeons being mechanical beings you have to twist and contort is such a clever idea.

It's really surprising to read so many people down on this in here, I often wonder if we're playing the same game. I just can't put into words how incredible I think it is.

Just did the Gerudo divine beast, spent most of the past few hours with my mouth open, amazed and enthralled. The dungeons being mechanical beings you have to twist and contort is such a clever idea.

It's really surprising to read so many people down on this in here, I often wonder if we're playing the same game. I just can't put into words how incredible I think it is.

If people came in after a certain experience I can see why they may feel let down when that experience never materialises.

For me this is AC x Zelda. I'm wondering round, killing baddies, collecting ingredients, cooking, working on paying a mortgage to mr nook, or w/e his name is in this game. I'm having great fun just wondering around aimlessly, discovering little bits here and there. I haven't done the vast majority of the missions yet, and tbh I wouldn't be surprised if this game never gets "completed". But I am already satisfied with the money I paid for it.

Every single dungeon in Skyward Sword is more interesting than the Divine Beasts. Whether it be Time Travel Robot Pirate Ship, or surprisingly complex first dungeon of Mechanical Beetle flight.

Hell, manipulating an entire dungeon layout is something Skyward Sword did already. And it did it bigger and better.

You know block puzzles? Swapping them around to try and make a picture?

Well, that's a WHOLE FREAKING DUNGEON! And it was about three times as big as any Divine Beast.

BOTW just doesn't stack up in that regard.

Every single dungeon in Skyward Sword is more interesting than the Divine Beasts. Whether it be Time Travel Robot Pirate Ship, or surprisingly complex first dungeon of Mechanical Beetle flight.

You know, I can't argue with that because I can't remember what any of the dungeons were like.

You know block puzzles? Swapping them around to try and make a picture?

Well, that's a WHOLE FREAKING DUNGEON! And it was about three times as big as any Divine Beast.

That sounds like the worst Zelda dungeon ever...

I've fallen off this pretty hard now. After I completed it the plan was to carry on doing side quests and shrines but everytime I put it on now I spend about 5 minutes wandering around and then get bored and go do something else. I guess I really did need that main "story" to keep pushing me on.

I have beaten all divine beasts but haven't gone to fight Gannon. Now I am spending hours just finding shrines, doing side quests and completing armour sets.

It's going to be interesting to see what Nintendo do next with Zelda, my main worry when I heard how open and unconventional BOTW was going to be was that the more linear or smaller Zelda experiences like Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds would cease to exist in the future, that Nintendo would feel compelled to make every Zelda game as ambitious and open ended as this one. The fact that the Switch is a hybrid only compounded my worries but after playing the game and reading through interviews with Fujibayashi and other staff members I'm more confident in the future of Zelda and that we will still get the smaller scale experiences.

I agree that the story in BOTW wasn't up to standard, SS and ALBW's both had incredible narratives that I felt really emotionally invested in. BOTW also doesn't do the standard Zelda tropes very well, I think an inclusion of a few typically Zelda dungeons would have improved the game hugely in that regard without detracting from the things that BOTW does really well.

There is definitely space for big open world Zelda and something more like ALBW's. I will be disappointed if we don't see Nintendo do a follow up in that style.

Edited by khilafah

I'm starting to approach the game a bit differently, as i'm starting to check things off a list a bit more but I'm not yet prepared to look the exact positions of things up online. Can anyone tell me how many seeds there are in each region? I think it'll be nice to have an idea of how close I am to finishing each area.

Saw a cool thing on GAF about flying.

It worked

C8l1yJmXUAAIt5f.jpg

I got pretty high before it said no more

C8l2qHpXgAE6P28.jpg

This game is an expert at distracting you. I played BotW today on the train to work, which taked about half an hour. I previously just visited Impa in Kakariko Village, so I'm ready to proceed on my epic quest! Because this tainted land needs a True Hero! Zelda is in mortal peril, so no time to waste! Tallyhoo!

When I arrive at work, I'm still in Kakariko Village, pondering which clothes deserve my hard-earned rupees.

My Mrs' son was playing this earlier and he was doing the ball maze Shrine... the way he solved it was fantastic:

As opposed to solving the maze or other alternative methods I've seen (I turned the maze over) he let the ball fall out and then as the new one dropped he tilted the maze at speed to smack the ball onto the platform!

This game! :bowdown:

Another trip to work... Still in Kakariko Village.

Damn those Cucco's! Damn their beady eyes!

Edited by Strange Cookie

Yeah.. Loving the patch notes.

"Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience."

Zelda is still a 10/10 for me, purely based on entertainment value, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its weakpoints.. And the "dungeons" are definitely one of them. With my first one (the Elephant), I was thinking "ehh, it's small, there's neglible combat, but I really like the puzzle mechanic". But my 2nd one (lizard) had a similar design, a similar puzzle mechanic, and even less combat. The puzzle mechanic actually goes all the way back to Majora's mask. The dungeons here are basically slightly more involved shrines.. Kind of a puzzle shrine, a shrine where getting to it is the puzzle, and those test of strength shrines in one. I'm really looking forward to the "proper" dungeon in the dlc now.

Anyway, my adventure update:

I've played for 120+ hours, I've done 2 divine beasts, 71 shrines, and have 235 Korok seeds. I spent loads, so I'm guessing I've found about 300 of them, and after 120 hours I keep finding new ways of discovering them. I still have all of the western regions to uncover.

In my last play session, I finally went to the Spring of wisdom and the white dragon. Never bothered with it before, because I didn't have the gear to explore the mountain, and I hate relying on potions. Until I read you can actually use fire weapons as a heat source, and the warm doublet and great fire sword were apparently all I needed, so off I went to finally see my last dragon. Found a couple of Koroks along the way. Went to the beach south of the mountain, found some more Koroks. Went back to Eventide island, to do the flying minigame (didn't have enough stamina to do it first time around). Only got a few rupees, so that was a waste of time! Took the raft back to Hateno beach, got some more rupees after solving the riddle from that bard bird (hmm, yes, that's what I'll be calling him now).

Then back to Hateno village for a couple of sidequests. One of the kids wanted to see a firerod, I've kept one all this time for this purpose, now I can finally get rid of it. I'm getting sick of trying the deer hunting minigame, my Phrenic bow broke, so I'll postpone it once again. Finally bought all the upgrades to my house as well. It was getting tedious, so I only did a few upgrades at a time. I was also thinking my house was kind of empty, but apparently getting all the upgrades fixes that! it's looking lovely now. Also came across Fang & Bones, looked if he had some new stuff, and he did. A new monster mask, some horse gear (I didn't know horses had gear). I also bought that hammer he had purely for the compendium.

Next stop was Kakariko village. I needed a picture of a Blupee for a sidequest, this was one of the places I knew they were there. Also wanted to visit the fairy to upgrade all my (new) clothes, and get a pumpkin for another sidequest. And get the sheikah outfit, for the collection. Never bothered with it before, since I mostly stick to the climbing gear.

Final stop for the session was Hyrule central. Never fully explored it, only activated the tower, so I still have plenty of stuff to do there. Did a few shrines, visited the stable, collected a memory, and ended the session by going to the collisseum and fighting the Lynel. Cost me 2 or 3 royal swords, so not sure if it's worth it, haha. Well I need the drops for upgrades later, and the bow is pretty good I guess. More importantly, the fight was fun, and I'm getting better at it.

Next session: first stop will probably be Korok forest, for the sidequests (and upgrading inventory), then I'm thinking of exploring Hyrule castle for the sidequests and loads of loot. Often, before I quit the game and go to bed, I just mess around without saving. This is why I know I can find the best shield in Hyrule castle, among various other goodies. It's also how I know where to find the Gerudo I'm looking for for Tarrey town, so I may do a quick detour before finally heading out to the north west region.

I've no idea how many hours I've actually played, but I'd guess it to be somewhere near fifty. I'm a little behind as I was on holiday for two weeks in California. I took my Switch with me, of course, but didn't get a chance to play it much. Some kids in a mall were super impressed with my neon switch console though!

I'm about to encounter my third Divine Beast, which for me is the Gerudo one. I saved and quit just before heading inside. I've only done about thirty shrines, which seems to be fewer than most of you on here. I think perhaps that I'm mostly only finding the quite obvious ones. There are only two or three that I've found which I haven't beaten yet. However, some of them have been VERY difficult and so I've has to rely on YouTube videos to get through them at times. It feels like I'm going through the game at a good pace, and I'm guessing I'll be done with the main story by the time Mario Kart 8 Deluxe arrives in the post in a few weeks. And then of course there's the DLC to look forward to! Not sure if it'll be worth getting for me just yet, it's taking up a lot of my time and so maybe I'll leave it for a gaming drought in two years or something.

The jury is still out for me on this. I was never a fan of the "freedom" the original Legend of Zelda had and this is an improvement but as I'm playing this doesn't feel like a Zelda game, and I don't mean that in a good way.

That said. Did anyone find the ball puzzle bullshit in that mechanism shrine much easier when you flipped the whole platform upside down?

That said. Did anyone find the ball puzzle bullshit in that mechanism shrine much easier when you flipped the whole platform upside down?

Trust me, that was completely intentional.

There's a similar mechanism where you have to manuever some spike panels to create a safe path. If you try to flip that upside down, you'll see the bottom of it has nothing but spikes.

So they knew full well people would do that.

Trust me, that was completely intentional.

There's a similar mechanism where you have to manuever some spike panels to create a safe path. If you try to flip that upside down, you'll see the bottom of it has nothing but spikes.

So they knew full well people would do that.

I almost managed it the "normal" way, but the fact was the angle trying to get it moving and the angle to flip it were not the same :(

I love exploring on this! I've done all Divine Beasts and Memories. I have 104 Shrines and I do want to get all of them, but sod those 900 Korok seeds! Haha

I've caught a couple horses with outrageous stats, must be amongst the best on the game. One has 4 Strength, 4 Speed and 5 Stamina, the other has 2 Strength, 5 Speed and 3 Stamina. The 5 Speed horse is amazing!

I also got that Savage Lynel Smasher with Attack Up... 108 (I think it was) damage, ouch!

Edited by Kav

I've caught a couple horses with outrageous stats, must be amongst the best on the game. One has 4 Strength, 4 Speed and 5 Stamina, the other has 2 Strength, 5 Speed and 3 Stamina. The 5 Speed horse is amazing!

Is that the white one? I can't remember the stats, but seem to remember it excelled on Stamina. Personally, I love the grey one near Duelling Peaks. It's not the fastest or strongest, but I just love the look of it (and was proud to tame it!)

I've heard about a very specific horse that is the strongest. Anyone know which one is the fastest?