NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Personally I think this is unlike any other Zelda we've seen so far - but I find that both a good and a bad thing. I *know* it's Zelda, but then if I step back and consider it more - is it? I dunno.

There's no doubt in my mind that it does lack some of what previous Zelda games have, whilst also taking too much from the open world genre. At the same time, it has several welcome additions.

To take all of these factors into consideration when it comes to scoring BOTW is something I just can't do. I understand the 10s completely, but I find myself agreeing with almost every criticism people have of this game. As A Nintendo game, it's as close to a 10 as they've come in years, maybe decades. As a video game, I don't know. For better or worse, every reviewer will have their own history with the medium, and Nintendo for that matter. Nostalgia will always be a factor, positive or negative. I'd just say that I think Nintendo deserve credit for their ambition and accomplishment with Breath of the Wild. It is the most fun I've had with a video game, despite the criticisms, but giving it a objective number seems to be an almost impossible exercise.

Quite. It's hard to score the game, because it's not clear which part "the game" is. There is much that I think is 10/10, and aspects that I think are way under par for a Zelda.

On the nostalgia point, yes, it's very easy to remember OOT with warm feelings. But if I may offer a comparison with a more recent game - A Link Between Worlds - I know I finished that with the feeling that I had played a better game. It's not linear and it doesn't have the usual item gates, but it does have good pacing and the thrill of progression. Those are the two things BotW most lacks.

I don't like being negative, but for the record, I mean my comments in this thread as thoughts about game design rather than wanting to criticise Breath of the Wild as such. It's a superb piece of software that (I think) will serve as a very solid base for future Zeldas.

When more people have finished the game, I certainly think a "What Should the Next Zelda Be Like?" thread will be very interesting, without the perception that it's pure criticism of BotW.

That's odd. Enemies shouldn't respawn without a Blood Moon

That's why I put 'respawn' in quotes and explained the problem - they're not technically respawning because they were never dead to need it; they literally just fade out halfway through a battle from a distance sometimes and return back to their original point fully healed. Whatever criteria they've chose to decide whether this needs to be done is imo much too narrow; as I haven't felt as if I drew them miles away from where they were or anything. I imagine it's been done via drawing a boundary of sorts for them rather than a loci of movement from their spawn point(in which case they'd presumably turn around and return and isn't without its faults itself) but it's annoying that it's happened to me a few times. I'd mostly been putting my orbs into stamina over hearts and so I ended up trying to fight a fair couple things at distance with bombs and bow+arrow - it's annoying that in a few circumstances me choosing to fight at a distance has cost me because of the game's implementation of it.

It's going to be interesting to see what Nintendo do next with Zelda, my main worry when I heard how open and unconventional BOTW was going to be was that the more linear or smaller Zelda experiences like Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds would cease to exist in the future, that Nintendo would feel compelled to make every Zelda game as ambitious and open ended as this one. The fact that the Switch is a hybrid only compounded my worries but after playing the game and reading through interviews with Fujibayashi and other staff members I'm more confident in the future of Zelda and that we will still get the smaller scale experiences.

I agree that the story in BOTW wasn't up to standard, SS and ALBW's both had incredible narratives that I felt really emotionally invested in. BOTW also doesn't do the standard Zelda tropes very well, I think an inclusion of a few typically Zelda dungeons would have improved the game hugely in that regard without detracting from the things that BOTW does really well.

I think the "quest" isn't the game in this...I think it's the exploring the game environment. Personally I enjoy walking and climbing in real life, I'd probably like this game more if they included caves... and if shrines maybe had a bit more of an incentive to complete. like a tiny stamina upgrade, or a quarter heart... within the environment, really the shrines seem to just be teleport points. SO I find the shrines disappointing in that way, but they are good little puzzles I suppose to break up the exploration.

as for completing the game.... I'm actually thinking I may skip that part altogether. just exploring the world I'm finding myself getting stronger, becoming more experienced in fights to make better choices on how I approach foes. I'm a bit of a coward with a couple of the enemy types... they scare me too much :D I was considering trying to just kill all the enemies and clear up hyrule so it was safe to wander... but it seems blood moons make that a futile aim! so I think my next adventure will be to become a chef :P

Also I read online that it is possible to buy and upgrade a house? VERY animal crossing if true... but I'm questioning that myself :D

I'm a bit of a coward with a couple of the enemy types... they scare me too much :D

Lynels and Hinox? They're not very hard once you've completed all four Divine Beasts.

Also I read online that it is possible to buy and upgrade a house? VERY animal crossing if true... but I'm questioning that myself :D

Yep! I did it the other day. Quite handy for storing melee weapons, shields and bows.

Any tips on how to use Stasis? Finding it very frustrating and more trial and error than skill based. I'll give something a couple of whacks and it'll barely move, but a few more and it goes flying, sometimes causing me to lose it. Also finding it hard to line up as you can't Z target (still gonna call it that!) so you can strafe around it. And don't even get me started on pushing boulders accurately!

Lynels and Hinox? They're not very hard once you've completed all four Divine Beasts.

Yep! I did it the other day. Quite handy for storing melee weapons, shields and bows.

I've seen one of the divine beasts I believe... I think Lynels are the ones.. I spotted one, I think, but it saw me..I walked behind a rock.. then there was a big green explosion and I was dead :|

Hinox.. are the the huge things? didn't wake it but yeah, didn't fancy taking it on just yet :D

So after being a chef I may find myself a house!!

Right it's really pissing me off now, the last, impossible, forest memory.

I would like to officially (semi) cheat, without telling me a precise location, can anyone give me a regional (large area) hint. Because I've done the WHOLE map looking for any trees and it's now getting me down!

Thanks in advance!

Right it's really pissing me off now, the last, impossible, forest memory.

I would like to officially (semi) cheat, without telling me a precise location, can anyone give me a regional (large area) hint. Because I've done the WHOLE map looking for any trees and it's now getting me down!

Thanks in advance!

Hyrule Field. Funny thing is, it was the second memory I found. Totally stumbled on it by accident! There's a guy in a nearby stable that tells you exactly where it is though.

saw this and thought i'd share it here

This is how I always kill Gaurdians. Not that many at once though!

Why waste perfectly good weapons?

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

Is anyone else having an inordinate amount of fun taking pictures for the Hyrule Compendium? I'm committed to getting well framed pictures of all of the entries.

Is anyone else having an inordinate amount of fun taking pictures for the Hyrule Compendium? I'm committed to getting well framed pictures of all of the entries.

Nope, I'm not bothering at all. ::shrug:

Yeah I am and I keep retaking pictures when I'm not happy with what I have. I like that you can replace pictures with newer ones. I missed taking pictures of a couple of bosses though, so I'll have to buy those from that guy at the lab.

Yeah I am and I keep retaking pictures when I'm not happy with what I have. I like that you can replace pictures with newer ones. I missed taking pictures of a couple of bosses though, so I'll have to buy those from that guy at the lab.

Gah, I just realised that I forgot to take pictures of a couple of them too. Shame because I wanted to try and complete it on my own steam without using the lab.

Gah, I just realised that I forgot to take pictures of a couple of them too. Shame because I wanted to try and complete it on my own steam without using the lab.

Yeah its a little annoying because I took a picture of one of them but died during the fight. At the time I didn't realise that when you respawn, the photo you've taken isn't there because its reloading you from before you took it.

Yeah its a little annoying because I took a picture of one of them but died during the fight. At the time I didn't realise that when you respawn, the photo you've taken isn't there because its reloading you from before you took it.

I believe you fight them if you go to the final boss without activating all the Divine Beasts. That said, it might only be the bosses from the ones you haven't done.

I believe you fight them if you go to the final boss without activating all the Divine Beasts. That said, it might only be the bosses from the ones you haven't done.

Yeah it must be, because I never saw them again in Hyrule castle. It's not a problem though as you can just buy any missing photo's from a guy in the lab. Outside of those two bosses I've taken most of the pictures needed to finish the compendium and just have a handful of things to find.

I only started BotW a couple of days ago. Strangle, I've never bern really hyped for this game, just... enthousiastic. I'm more hyped now than befire I played it! Talk about a reverse letdown! A... letup?

Anyways, after all the post OoT-Zelda's, I really have to change my mindset. I admit, when in the beginning the old man asked me to locate the three other shrines and get the spirit orbs hidden within, I toiled and cursed to reach two of them. I really thought I was doing something wrong. I guess I was. I finally reached both of them, but by the gods, I felt infuriated, humbled and stupid for not being able to do so sooner. And I LOVED the game for it! :D

Weirdly there is something I'm finding quit enjoyable about the camera and finding new stuff framed by it in orange! I like that pictures you take go in the compendium - and I try to get at least a decent one(or retake it if not) but I don't always go for perfect framing on enemies and wild beasts - but I kinda like that too. Feels quite genuine. I've been caught on the raw side of death and forgetting to retake a picture for a couple times now tho.

I encountered the Lord of the Mountains the other day, of course my first instinct was to shoot it with an arrow. Apparently saving and reloading doesn't guarantee it'll be there again, what exactly does it do? I thought I took a photo before I saved but it seems I did it after saving so I lost the photo as well. :(

Did the Shrine of Wisdom yesterday which was really cool. Felt like a tutorial for the other shrines which seemed weird as that was the last one I found.

I got this with Switch on day one, still haven't done a single divine beast haha, having too much fun exploring the world :)

I want to try do as much other stuff as I can before getting the Beasts, I have already got all photo memories (managed to find a few without getting a hint from the painter guy too which I was really happy with, found the one on Death Mountain just by studying the picture and working out which direction it was taken on and exploring the area I figured it was at./...and I hadn't been on Death Mountain before that.

Anyway getting side tracked....wanted to ask...is it possible to get all 120 Shrines without doing a single beast or are some Shrines only accessible after completing a/the Beast(s)? And if some are locked behind the Beasts how many?

At the moment I got 100 Shrines, hoped to get all 120 but heard some might be locked behind the beasts?

I've fallen off this pretty hard now. After I completed it the plan was to carry on doing side quests and shrines but everytime I put it on now I spend about 5 minutes wandering around and then get bored and go do something else. I guess I really did need that main "story" to keep pushing me on.

I've fallen off this pretty hard now. After I completed it the plan was to carry on doing side quests and shrines but everytime I put it on now I spend about 5 minutes wandering around and then get bored and go do something else. I guess I really did need that main "story" to keep pushing me on.

I imagine once you have Persona 5 in your hands this game won't be getting a look in anyway. :D

I imagine once you have Persona 5 in your hands this game won't be getting a look in anyway. :D

Lol yes that's very likely. This and any other game will become distant memories :p