NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I only use my name because the options there. If it wasn't I'd happily just have him be Link.

How about a transgender Link, or a Link that's a hippopotamus?!

Link isn't supposed to be "us". Link is simply an avatar through which we play the game. He was aptly named Link as he serves as the link between the player and the game-world. He's not supposed to be us in the game.

Keep Link as he always has been... and don't be sacrilegious and name him something other than Link!

Completely agree and now understand after being told this when I was playing WWHD

But he is not called 'Link' he is 'The Link'... Otherwise it makes no sense.

It just so happens that every random small, sleepy boy who is 'the chosen one' has been called 'Link' by his parents, grandma etc. I don't think so...

He is called Link, Nintendo chose to name him Link because he is the link. The whole his parents named him etc lark doesn't fit because at the time of a few games into the series nobody at Nintendo had given any thoughts to a timeline or piecing the games together and yet the character was always named Link.

Sure it sounds silly now they've pieced together the games and made a timeline but still, his name is always Link, it has always been Link.

In complete agreement with the silent Link - voice acted NPCs... Though, yeah, Nintendo will probably go for the Midna/Fi gibberish talk - and with that, I'm not sure if it'll just get tiring to hear everyone or most characters speak it.

On a side note, its lovely to see a long string of non-sales/marketing banter. :p

But he is not called 'Link' he is 'The Link'... Otherwise it makes no sense.

It just so happens that every random small, sleepy boy who is 'the chosen one' has been called 'Link' by his parents, grandma etc. I don't think so...

Exactly. Link is a reincarnation, not an actual person. It's like Blackadder.

The cooler they try to make "Link" as a character, the naffer it gets (even though I can see why they do it). The Zelda games that really work are the ones where you play an unremarkable-seeming boy, even though it goes against every instinct. Players want to control a "cool" avatar - it's why OOT works so well when Link grows up, and why there was so much hype for TP, but it doesn't always equate to a better game.

I've always quite wanted a Zelda where you play as a large, brown-haired lad, whose job it is to support an elfin, blond-haired chap who everyone assumes is the Hero of Time. As the game goes on, it turns out that the Ganondorf-looking bloke isn't actually Ganondorf, the attractive female isn't actually Zelda and the blond lad isn't actually the Hero of Time (obviously that's you), etc, etc. If nothing else, it would emphasise the reincarnation theme and challenge stereotypical, superficial judgements.

Honestly I liked the idea of playing Wind Waker with Link in his alternate outfit, I think it makes it feel like that different person who's been chosen. The green tunic unifies them all and makes it feel like the same person again, albeit a younger/older version of them.

Once I could use the Engineer outfit in Spirit Tracks, I never really changed back, either :)

I always like horse riding, but never particularly miss it. You know me, King V - my dream is for a Zelda where you can climb on horses, dragons and all sorts of creatures!

I didn't miss horse riding, but I missed being able to ride something at night in a haunting atmosphere (here's to you, Twilight Princess).

Just curious, did anyone miss horse riding in SS?

Yes and I missed everything else that was missing from Skyward Sword as well. Namely a great Zelda game.

I would not want to see voice acting in Zelda. I read the text in the sounds/grunts/noises they make initially. There's no need for voice acting. It could possibly ruin all perceptions of the Zelda characters.

Agreed. Like reading a book, I can always act it out better in my head anyway

Yes and I missed everything else that was missing from Skyward Sword as well. Namely a great Zelda game.

Harsh, but I genuinely did an LOL. :laughing:

Looks lovely but considering this game was ready to be shown last year why are those three gifs the entirety of what we saw?

I hope we see a lot more over the next day or two but my initial reaction was 'WOW' :bouncy:

Bit disappointed that's all they had to show...

but my god, looks spectacular!

It really does look stunning and so much more character and charm than the Wii U tech demo.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the futuristic aspect of it, but I suppose it's something a bit different.

Best. Looking. Game. Ever.

The idea of the original 2D Zelda on the NES in glorious open world HD in that style, mind blowing.

Thought this was stunning:

* Gorgeous world with forests and mountains

* Cel-shaded Adult Link!!

* Slightly sci-fi (the bow)

Basically perfect! I can't believe they didn't finish with footage from this and some dramatic music!

If this is a WW/LoZ type of game, then colour me impressed.

I still can't get over the fact that this is Sci-Fi Zelda!

* Slightly sci-fi (the bow)

The monster was also firing lasers all over the place.