NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I did my first Guardian yesterday. The Rito one. It was short and the boss wasn't too hard. Enjoyable all in all. More like a big set-piece than an actual dungeon.

Could someone explain to me what the number on the armour you wear means? I'm running around bare-chested with a combined armour rating of 10. And even though I'm topless I can run around in the frozen areas no problem, which amuses me endlessly.

Also, where the flying fuck is Hestu? I have about 25 seeds I need to trade in.

The number is your defence rating. As for heat/cold, there's a meter at the bottom right that shows how much heat or cold you can handle relative to what you're wearing or potion drinked.

I found Hetsu the first time outside Kokiri village, then at the stable in the region north of there, then last in Lost Forest, west of death mountain.

The number is your defence rating. As for heat/cold, there's a meter at the bottom right that shows how much heat or cold you can handle relative to what you're wearing or potion drinked.

I found Hetsu the first time outside Kokiri village, then at the stable in the region north of there, then last in Lost Forest, west of death mountain.

I get the defence rating but I don't quite understand what that means in real terms. Does a 10 defence rating negate 10% damage for instance? I guess I'm asking because I don't really know what kind of defence I should be aiming for?

I like running around topless because literally 60% of the characters in game acknowledge it and freak out.

So I saw hime first outside Kakariko village, then once outside a quite central stable...does that mean I should head to the Lost Forrest to find him again? Or might he pop up somewhere else before then? I'm always itching for more inventory space.

I think I only visited one other stable before Lost Forest but didn't see him there. I never saw him leave Lost Forest either once I found him there.

I think it's a bit dumb if he only shows up in spesific location in the spesific order. I'm wondering if it leaves a lot of people serious management issue if they explore the world in a complete different direction and leave Lost Forest last or close to it. Can't be fun having to leave one great weapon after another.

edit: I couldn't find that much info about it, but after a quick google search, it seems his location is very spesific. He should be in Lost Forest now.

Edited by Tales

I think he hangs out at stables progressively closer to the forest the more you visit him.

I'm pretty sure he tells you which direction he's going each time.

finished all 4 divine beasts and got the Master sword, so I guess next stop is Ganon. I still have to find 7 more memories and have a ton of quests to do, so I'll probably do that stuff first.

Random question: once you have done the divine beasts and Ganon, can you go back and recover the memories and do side quests or do they disappear once you've completed the story?

I think it's a bit dumb if he only shows up in spesific location in the spesific order. I'm wondering if it leaves a lot of people serious management issue if they explore the world in a complete different direction and leave Lost Forest last or close to it. Can't be fun having to leave one great weapon after another.

I agree, but having a limited inventory is just a bad idea all round. I have 13 slots for melee weapons and still have to forgo the vast majority I find. It's like Twilight Princess where you put rupees back in chests, except it's actually worse.

Random question: once you have done the divine beasts and Ganon, can you go back and recover the memories and do side quests or do they disappear once you've completed the story?

Your save takes you back to immediately before you fight Ganon. I'm doing the post-game now (quests and shrines). That said, I did have all the memories.

I don't want to be told where, but do you ever get a hint to the final ridiculous memory (that could be anywhere in the game!!!) with no landmarks or anything of note!? Because I feel unless you happen to accidentally be there it's impossible!

I don't want to be told where, but do you ever get a hint to the final ridiculous memory (that could be anywhere in the game!!!) with no landmarks or anything of note!? Because I feel unless you happen to accidentally be there it's impossible!

There's never a clue for #12. Not one that I could understand anyway.

Never found a clue for that. Stumbled upon it by accident when exploring the area. Don't think I would have found it myself if not, the area is just like any other forest.

Edited by Tales

I found the clue for that one in the East, by the stable overlooking Hyrule Castle/Death Mountain. Terrible directions, but hopefully of some help.

The clue for number 12 was the second clue I stumbled on. I thought it was strange that they point you towards number 11, then number 12 to start with.

Took me ages to find one of the shrines in the Hebra region, but once inside, there was an extremely cool surprise.

C7nwwbFV4AAjOsJ.jpg

Also, I had to laugh. I did one of the quests, and received an orb. I picked up the orb, or so I thought, and started carrying it towards the plate. I'd absent-mindedly picked up the barrel instead!

C7nw1REVAAAOIwv.jpg

Is anyone else not using fast-travel much ? I decided pretty early on I would only use it in extreme cases or if I had to get back to the Plateau. Have to say I'm really enjoying travelling on foot (or horse) everywhere, I find that I notice so many things that I would have otherwise missed.

Is anyone else not using fast-travel much ? I decided pretty early on I would only use it in extreme cases or if I had to get back to the Plateau. Have to say I'm really enjoying travelling on foot (or horse) everywhere, I find that I notice so many things that I would have otherwise missed.

I'm almost treating this as a walking & climbing simulator. I have only used the fast travel once.. To get back to the plateau. Didn't think you could get back up there otherwise (but you can). I wanted to get to the temple of time to exchange orbs, forgetting there are shrines in most (all?) villages. I haven never used a horse, except to catch two and for a sidequest. Ran and climbed everywhere. A considerable time is spent on the map and vantage points to decide where I want to go.

Over 80 hours in, and I've only just decided to go to Goron City. Complete westof the map is still covered, and most of the north, with Death mountain being the most recent addition.

Ganon all beaten. 97 shrines, purposely left one memory out to see the crappy ending.

Will give impressions in the gaming diary sometime in the future. I definitely have a lot to say about this though.

Without getting into spoilers, I thought the "bad" ending was if you hadn't done all the Shrines, is it definitely not seeing all the memories that does it?

Without getting into spoilers, I thought the "bad" ending was if you hadn't done all the Shrines, is it definitely not seeing all the memories that does it?

It's getting all the memories, just looked it up. Also have to do all 4 Divine Beasts, but that was obvious.

I guessed at the memories. And it was confirmed when I saw the ending.

Ganon is sealed away and Zelda is freed. Zelda asks if Link truly remembers her, and Link looks a bit confused. Fade out. Roll credits. After that, the two of them walk away from Hyrule Castle, giving the impression that they're not gonna bother rebuilding it.

Edited by Glen-i

So can you get the bad ending, then go back and get everything you need, and do it again, easily enough without losing anything? Is it worth the effort or just watch a video online instead or something?

So can you get the bad ending, then go back and get everything you need, and do it again, easily enough without losing anything? Is it worth the effort or just watch a video online instead or something?

Yeah, you just get plonked at your previous save when you finish.

It all depends on how many memories you have left to find. Which are worth seeing anyway.

Every time I play this I do somewhat enjoy myself but I feel like I'm constantly doing a lot of nothing. The route from Kakariko to Hateno found me almost fuck all in the way of shrines, and I've tried to stick within the Hateno region finding some but without much joy. I've finally headed to one far in the distance(always amazed the visual distance on my scope compared to the actual map distance - so often tons farther than I expect) and it's some sort of test of strength which I don't think I'm ready for. I feel like I'm not ready because I haven't found enough shrines to get orbs etcetc. I might just fuck this whole thing off and go after the waypoints and hope for more there. I might go down the H-o-T route of just mapping out the whole place and then go from there - I didn't want to go chasing the main waypoints too quickly or obviously but I'm really getting bored of the amount of climbing and looking off mountains I'm doing for essentially nothing in return!

Btw how soon again am I likely to find Hetsu? I've not seen him since the initial meeting in Kakariko but I've got a few more seeds since then - I was sure he told me he was on his way to Hateno but I've yet to find him again. Feels somewhat silly putting what is almost an essential feature in just one non-stationary place across such a vast map -.-

Almost done all the shrines now. I have to say, for any criticism I have of Breath of the Wild, I haven't had a moment's boredom. Every direction I turn, there's something to distract me. Sometimes it's more like Animal Crossing than Zelda, which doesn't make it a bad game, but I'm not sure it's great for Zelda.

I feel like I'm not ready because I haven't found enough shrines to get orbs etcetc. I might just fuck this whole thing off and go after the waypoints and hope for more there.

This is my main issue with the game - it's that you can't get strong enough just by following the waypoints/main quest. In previous games, they would make sure you are strong enough - a heart for each dungeon, with reasonably obvious ways to get more. So that's 3 starting hearts + 3 more for the mini dungeons + 5 or so more depending on how many "adult" dungeons the game had. You also had a good idea of which surrounding areas were worth exploring. With Breath of the Wild, it's no exaggeration to say you could spend days and days exploring, but still not have what you needed for the main quest.

Btw how soon again am I likely to find Hetsu? I've not seen him since the initial meeting in Kakariko but I've got a few more seeds since then - I was sure he told me he was on his way to Hateno but I've yet to find him again. Feels somewhat silly putting what is almost an essential feature in just one non-stationary place across such a vast map -.-

He moves to one of the stables after that (Central Hyrule, I think), then eventually on to the Lost Woods.

Personally, I don't even understand why there's a limited inventory. It doesn't make the game more challenging when you can't pick up a weapon, just more irritating. Some of the Korok archery games are fun, yes, but they could have had archery games in the villages instead.

Maybe it's time for me to head back somewhere else for a bit then - wouldn't mind finding another Stables(and Hetsu) although I've already boarded 3 horses at the first one you find before Kakariko. Completely agree on the inventory - yes I can see the inklings of original motivation or thinking for it but it feels pretty arbitrary in practice. Maybe it's just me but I'm ending up absolutely hoarding my weapons but yet somehow not really struggling to fight stuff I come across any more than I do with my strongest(even if I don't use it) - but maybe it's because I tend to try and fight mobs one on one rather than as groups etc. I get through them just as good - just maybe a bit slower but I don't mind that too much so far.

Did come across a Hinox whilst exploring yesterday though - seemed interesting and wish I had enough patience to keep bombing the crap out of him but it was really slow work and I eventually fell down the massive hole to get chased off by him anyway. Think last thing I did was jump off a cliff elsewhere and hope for the best. Also totally wanted to get some Ancient somethings to get my bombs upgrade - apparently one of the few things you can't track with the Sheikah Sensor(and yeah, I can understand why, but it's weird I can find a mushroom nearby in a forest but I can't find a piece of something else in a dead guardian thingy etc).

I've met the requirements to get the Master Torch, is it worth getting now? I'm 2 Guardian Beasts in.

I really wouldn't suggest mapping out all the towers in one go. I think it would completely ruin the experience.

Also I don't get stronger by going into Shrines necessarily, I get stronger by exploring and finding chests with weapons and elemental arrows.