NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I've just beaten a Lynel. Wow!! I had to use some serious timing to dodge correctly, spot an opening and then strike. I had shit weapons aswell. Brilliant stuff and its a satisfying feeling when you have to work to defeat an enemy :D

Well done! Did you use any Rubber armour or electro-resistance?

There's rubber armour? Also, I completely forgot about electric figures.

I went to fight one because of an item I needed...and it didn't drop the item. So I had to find another.

I used a mixture of stasis, shock arrows and I found a "sweet spot" where he would fire arrows at me normally instead of firing into the air - they were a lot easier to dodge.

Nope and I didn't even use any runes - I didn't think to use them. I just ate a meal with lots of ironshrooms in :D

There's rubber armour? Also, I completely forgot about electric figures.

Sorry if you didn't want to know. It's hard to know what to put in a spoiler tag, but I probably should have done with that.

I much prefer the elemental armour (not that I've really got any yet) to the food, because it's satisfying to have permanent protection. The food gives me that MM-style time-limit panic!

Sorry if you didn't want to know. It's hard to know what to put in a spoiler tag, but I probably should have done with that.

I much prefer the elemental armour (not that I've really got any yet) to the food, because it's satisfying to have permanent protection. The food gives me that MM-style time-limit panic!

This is the spoiler thread. He made his choice.

Oh, I don't mind in terms of spoilers, I've just not encountered it yet. It was surprise, not annoyance.

How would you summarise your experience with the game, and where out of 10 would you rate it if you were inclined to do so? Interested as opinions and experiences seem to have been somewhat varied between players!

I thoroughly enjoyed the game BUT I think the general reviews have been over exaggerated and hyped up. There's no doubting that it is a huge shift away from the normal story driven Zelda games and it's a massive technical accomplishment to have a game like this running on a hand held.

I think the game suffers from being bloated, i also think it suffers from not being 'first'. Let me explain - In most open world games the story drives you to go to a certain place to pick up something essential or to unlock something needed. This is missing, there is no real need to collect anything or visit anywhere. The rewards for doing so are incredibly lacklustre. You often expend more resources getting to treasure chests than you gain for example.

Some of the gear sounds great, it's not needed though. I finished it wearing the gerudo stuff because I forgot to switch out. Each 'thing' in the game gives you 0.8% completion rate, this includes shrines, quests and Korok seeds. 72% of the games completion rate is defined by finding 900 Korok seeds. I finished with 30 odd and was fine. I didn't visit every area, there are 3 on the map that I've never visited or got the towers for, there was just never a need for it.

In regards to not being first - If this game had come out 4 to 5 years ago I would understand the reviews. But it's 2017 and a lot of the ideas which are 'fresh' for a Zelda game have already been done. The breaking weapons, the eating, the climbing, the open world, the taming animals. We have already seen these features, and it shouldn't really take away from the game but it does because there is very little ingenuity here, just ideas borrowed from popular games and labelled with Zelda.

Had it not been a Zelda game I think it wouldn't have done nearly as well as it has. It's technically sound, runs fairly well and has some nice parts. The shrines are a lot of fun, but again, I did 34 out of the 120. So much of the game is optional I think you really have to love Zelda to want to put in the time and effort for an extra 1 minute 30 seconds on the ending which may be my biggest gripe of all. The rewards are not anywhere near high enough for the effort required for somethings in here.

It's probably the best game ninty have created, but it lacks so much of the Nintendo and Zelda charm for me it really feels disconnected and disjointed.

I'd give it a solid 8/10 if you treat it and judge it as a general game and not Zelda.

The rewards for doing so are incredibly lacklustre. You often expend more resources getting to treasure chests than you gain for example.

Excellent point. I've often used up many weapons just trying to complete a Shrine or get somewhere and, as you say, ended up with much less than I had.

I didn't visit every area, there are 3 on the map that I've never visited or got the towers for, there was just never a need for it.

I'm very surprised to hear this. How did you know which areas had the dungeons? Did I just not activate the right part of my Sheikah Slate?

In regards to not being first - If this game had come out 4 to 5 years ago I would understand the reviews. But it's 2017 and a lot of the ideas which are 'fresh' for a Zelda game have already been done. The breaking weapons, the eating, the climbing, the open world, the taming animals. We have already seen these features, and it shouldn't really take away from the game but it does because there is very little ingenuity here, just ideas borrowed from popular games and labelled with Zelda.

What bugs me (slightly - I love the game) is that Nintendo used to know what to copy from RPGs, and what to leave out. Thus they became market leaders and made a perfect genre of their own. With Breath of the Wild, it feels like they've taken everything from open world games and bolted it onto Zelda.

Excellent point. I've often used up many weapons just trying to complete a Shrine or get somewhere and, as you say, ended up with much less than I had.

Exactly this.

I'm very surprised to hear this. How did you know which areas had the dungeons? Did I just not activate the right part of my Sheikah Slate?

The old lady at Kakiriko marked them initially, after the Zora one I knew the Gerudo needed doing so headed there. Went back to the lady and she marked the last two for me, headed to the Rito and knew death mountain was the last one.

What bugs me (slightly - I love the game) is that Nintendo used to know what to copy from RPGs, and what to leave out. Thus they became market leaders and made a perfect genre of their own. With Breath of the Wild, it feels like they've taken everything from open world games and bolted it onto Zelda.

Yeah, I agree with this.

I still enjoyed it though!

The rewards are not anywhere near high enough for the effort required for somethings in here.

I would have thought the reward for doing all the shrines would be... the fun involved in doing all the shrines. In addition to whatever perk you get at the end of the game and all the additional items found during each Shrine, AND the extra hearts/stamina you get.

I would have thought the reward for doing all the shrines would be... the fun involved in doing all the shrines. In addition to whatever perk you get at the end of the game and all the additional items found during each Shrine, AND the extra hearts/stamina you get.

I see your point about the reward being the shrines themselves but the perks they offer, such as hearts and stamina, are simply not needed. The same goes for the items. If they were then myself and others on here would probably not have finished the game yet.

C6kngUJU8AE7s72.jpg

Must not cry :(

All done (except Korok Seeds. Fuck that haha). It was great to go through Hyrule Castle. I made sure to wait until I had powered up the Clothes of the Wild. I refused to storm Hyrule Castle without wearing traditional Link Clothing. Found the Hylian Shield and so I ended the game as a true Zelda game.

Beautiful game. I enjoyed it immensely.

Motion controlled ones certainly weren't fun!

And the combat ones, and 90% of the puzzle ones.

Highly subjective, of course.

I'll echo HoT here, that should be the reward but there is literally no point to doing it as you don't need them to complete it. It could offer you 3 x 100 armour pieces but you just don't need them, the last boss was too easy for it to be needed lol

C6kngUJU8AE7s72.jpg

Must not cry :(

All done (except Korok Seeds. Fuck that haha). It was great to go through Hyrule Castle. I made sure to wait until I had powered up the Clothes of the Wild. I refused to storm Hyrule Castle without wearing traditional Link Clothing. Found the Hylian Shield and so I ended the game as a true Zelda game.

Beautiful game. I enjoyed it immensely.

Good job! : peace:

How the hell did Zelda have the full Triforce? It was never explained.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game BUT I think the general reviews have been over exaggerated and hyped up. There's no doubting that it is a huge shift away from the normal story driven Zelda games and it's a massive technical accomplishment to have a game like this running on a hand held.

I think the game suffers from being bloated, i also think it suffers from not being 'first'. Let me explain - In most open world games the story drives you to go to a certain place to pick up something essential or to unlock something needed. This is missing, there is no real need to collect anything or visit anywhere. The rewards for doing so are incredibly lacklustre. You often expend more resources getting to treasure chests than you gain for example.

Some of the gear sounds great, it's not needed though. I finished it wearing the gerudo stuff because I forgot to switch out. Each 'thing' in the game gives you 0.8% completion rate, this includes shrines, quests and Korok seeds. 72% of the games completion rate is defined by finding 900 Korok seeds. I finished with 30 odd and was fine. I didn't visit every area, there are 3 on the map that I've never visited or got the towers for, there was just never a need for it.

Had it not been a Zelda game I think it wouldn't have done nearly as well as it has. It's technically sound, runs fairly well and has some nice parts. The shrines are a lot of fun, but again, I did 34 out of the 120. So much of the game is optional I think you really have to love Zelda to want to put in the time and effort for an extra 1 minute 30 seconds on the ending which may be my biggest gripe of all. The rewards are not anywhere near high enough for the effort required for somethings in here.

It's probably the best game ninty have created, but it lacks so much of the Nintendo and Zelda charm for me it really feels disconnected and disjointed.

I'd give it a solid 8/10 if you treat it and judge it as a general game and not Zelda.

This game could be completed within 15 hours I think if you wanted. You would miss out on a lot of stuff though.

Missing out areas though...what about the shrines, characters and the story you would have missed out on. I disagree with what you say about the game not being story driven. It is. Its like every other Zelda title. I have just reached Zora's Domain and the story is told just like it is in OoT really. There is the overarching story of defeating Ganon and each area has its own plot. In terms of Zora Domain it consists (like it has done before) with a domestic crisis. You also find out about thw background of their Champion. You can also read various pieces of background information if you explore the Domain, talk to characters and explore the areas around it.

30 Korok seeds? I've got over 50 and only on my third area! You have only done about quarter of the shrines too! I'm unsure what you are saying because its being bloated. Its like playing Witcher 3 or Majora's Mask for the main quest and not bothering with the side quests/missions. You would be missing out on lots.

Many of the quests/things to do in an open world game are optional. Using again the example of Witcher 3 and Majoras Mask the actual "compulsory parts" are tiny in comparison to the side quests.

I'm not aiming to complete the game 100% as I'll probably be burnt out

The game certainly isn't that story driven. The fact that you can easily miss out on well over half of the main story scenes due to them being optional says it all. Saying that, what they do give you is pretty weak anyway, so I suppose it doesn't really matter either way. :p

The game can be played however a person chooses. It's open in the sense that you can freely explore and do what you want or go follow what little story there is. For me, what was there to explore simply wasn't worth exploring, at least not the first time through. Which I think is what Esequiel is getting at. Doing side quests in any game is fine if you get something substantial, if not then why bother? I certainly don't.

FFXV is a good example of this. There are a load of side quests to do in that game but I only touched the ones that were going to benefit me. I wasn't going to bother with fighting some beast or helping some guy out if all I was gonna get was a rubbish potion or a shoddy weapon. It's the same in this game.

I don't understand why people seem to be baffled that others are playing the game the way they choose, feel satisfied with what they played, but feel the game could be doing so much more. The game simply doesn't hit the right notes with that perticular persons way of playing a game.

And the combat ones, and 90% of the puzzle ones.

Highly subjective, of course.

Haha!! Certainly is! I'm really enjoying them.

I don't understand why people seem to be baffled that others are playing the game the way they choose, feel satisfied with what they played, but feel the game could be doing so much more. The game simply doesn't hit the right notes with that perticular persons way of playing a game.

Unsure if that was aimed at me specifically but I see your point :)

Best Zelda ever? Don't think so.

Granted, I've only done a handful of shrines and I haven't even done the first dungeon (if they exist) yet. Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying it most moments but I'm just downright bored in others. A lot of the game involves wandering about aimlessly (yet, I know that's what they were going for) and hoping you find a shrine or something else of interest. And then more often than not, you don't. Then you'll find a hard to climb cliff, try to climb it, and it'll start raining. What kind of design choice was not allowing you to climb 30% of the time? So much fun waiting for the rain to stop!

The game lacks the focus of previous games. The puzzles are fairly lacklustre and repetitive due to the samey shrines with the exact same reward. And I've yet to encounter a memorable character (even Beedle is dull in this game)

I'll stick with it for now, but this is the first Zelda where I've honestly thought about giving up.

This game could be completed within 15 hours I think if you wanted. You would miss out on a lot of stuff though.

Missing out areas though...what about the shrines, characters and the story you would have missed out on. I disagree with what you say about the game not being story driven. It is. Its like every other Zelda title. I have just reached Zora's Domain and the story is told just like it is in OoT really. There is the overarching story of defeating Ganon and each area has its own plot. In terms of Zora Domain it consists (like it has done before) with a domestic crisis. You also find out about thw background of their Champion. You can also read various pieces of background information if you explore the Domain, talk to characters and explore the areas around it.

30 Korok seeds? I've got over 50 and only on my third area! You have only done about quarter of the shrines too! I'm unsure what you are saying because its being bloated. Its like playing Witcher 3 or Majora's Mask for the main quest and not bothering with the side quests/missions. You would be missing out on lots.

Many of the quests/things to do in an open world game are optional. Using again the example of Witcher 3 and Majoras Mask the actual "compulsory parts" are tiny in comparison to the side quests.

I'm not aiming to complete the game 100% as I'll probably be burnt out

I saw it completed in 2 hours the other day!

I get there's loads to do, but it's just not worth it. I put in about 20 hours to finish it, and did so with very little difficulty. If the boss was mega tough and completing all the shrines gave you some special arrows or something to make it easier fair enough.

The issue is that 95% of the game is completely optional, the monsters in the field are tough and can kill you in 1 or 2 hits yet you can make it to the castle with just the standard stuff I had and finish the game with ease. That takes away the point of most of the content. Or at least it did for me, it's all subjective and I'm glad so many people are enjoying it but it doesn't rank up there with a lot of games for me. I had more fun with InFamous Second son haha

I saw it completed in 2 hours the other day!

I get there's loads to do, but it's just not worth it. I put in about 20 hours to finish it, and did so with very little difficulty. If the boss was mega tough and completing all the shrines gave you some special arrows or something to make it easier fair enough.

The issue is that 95% of the game is completely optional, the monsters in the field are tough and can kill you in 1 or 2 hits yet you can make it to the castle with just the standard stuff I had and finish the game with ease. That takes away the point of most of the content. Or at least it did for me, it's all subjective and I'm glad so many people are enjoying it but it doesn't rank up there with a lot of games for me. I had more fun with InFamous Second son haha

Yeah thats a fair criticism. Doesn't personally bother me as I like to seek optional quests and things like that anyway but I can understand your point. So if Nintendo increased the difficulty of the main bosses you would be inclined to do more of the shrines etc? How did you know that you didn't need to do as many?