NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Just now, Glen-i said:

Well, yeah, the first example was bad on my part. Sorry.

But this time, I only wanted to post an example that I think is more impressive. It's an opinion of mine. Just trying to add other examples.

And I'm not saying your post is strange, I'm saying the trend of this is strange compared to other games. Again, another opinion of mine.

I'm just trying to add to the conversation...

Ok let's drop it, I apologise for having a go. Like I said, I'm sure you don't do it on purpose and maybe i'm being oversensitive anyway.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I don't know the game well enough to understand why that's impressive. :( Ice beating fire seems expected. ::shrug: 

I think it's really cool, as it's showcasing the game's elemental mechanics interacting in a way I personally haven't seen elsewhere, and definitely didn't use during my playthrough. The toolbox at your disposal rather than the single solution and all that. 

Considering that the visual appearance of the flames themselves don't change when the ice elemental power is introduced, it does make me wonder what it is about the nature of the flames in BotW that cause damage – is it the assigned temperature being so high rather than the "physical" shape of the flame itself dealing out the damage, as the ice element being introduced obviously negates the temperature but doesn't necessarily negate the fact that the flame is still there? It's just really interesting to think about, it basically grants the fire immunity that the fire resistant armour does when fully upgraded despite the flame still being there. 

I'm sure it's a combination of both, but yeah, I love seeing new stuff being found out about the game. New details being found years after release in any game is always cool, but the sheer variety and quantity of new things still being discovered in Breath of the Wild coming up on five years from its release continues to astound me :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

is it the assigned temperature being so high rather than the "physical" shape of the flame itself dealing out the damage, as the ice element being introduced obviously negates the temperature but doesn't necessarily negate the fact that the flame is still there?

Yeah that seems likely I think, it's similar to how wearing an ice weapon in the desert keeps you cool, the weapon is probably lowering Link's temperature value. Maybe the change in value is more pronounced if you actually use the weapon and so that's enough to get past flames.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah that seems likely I think, it's similar to how wearing an ice weapon in the desert keeps you cool, the weapon is probably lowering Link's temperature value. Maybe the change in value is more pronounced if you actually use the weapon and so that's enough to get past flames.

That's the kind of thing I was wondering about. Perhaps it's the act of swinging that makes the difference in this case.

• Like 1

I remember spending ages on a shine where you had to get an ice cube past obstacles. Seemed impossible to get it where it needed to go in time. 

Then I realised the flaming sword on my back was melting it quicker.

• Haha 1

Here's the skinny on the Tweet shared by @Ronnie

Whilst working their way through the Rinu Honika Shrine (which is part of the Champions Ballad DLC pack), Aqua10202 did not 'block the blaze' in the way that many (myself included) did. Rather, they stripped Link off and equipped him with the blizzard rod. From there, Aqua10202 simply created wafts of icy cold air around Link to protect him from the flames that were erupting all around.

Good thinking. Someone else has shared their way of approaching that particular shrine too:

As it turns out, if Link is wearing the Flamebreaker armour at its level 2 upgrade, the plucky Hylian can just run straight through the flames (thanks ChrisJAIK22). There is no need for Link to use blocks or the Magnesis rune at all (again, like I did - boy do I feel silly now).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-02-25-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-players-are-still-finding-the-most-inventive-solutions-to-everything

• Like 3

Just had this appear on my Youtube feed. No gameplay tricks here, just 19 facts that I'm sure we're all well-versed in already but it nonetheless serves as a decent reminder of the work that went into BotW. Hard to believe it's been five years. I had to pause the video and check that and right enough Wikipedia says March 3rd 2017. Time flies. :o 

Personally, I found point 14 to be of particular interest as I hadn't encountered it in the game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Just had this appear on my Youtube feed. No gameplay tricks here, just 19 facts that I'm sure we're all well-versed in already but it nonetheless serves as a decent reminder of the work that went into BotW. Hard to believe it's been five years. I had to pause the video and check that and right enough Wikipedia says March 3rd 2017. Time flies. :o 

Personally, I found point 14 to be of particular interest as I hadn't encountered it in the game.

Five years. Crazy. Watching that video makes me even more desperate to play the sequel.

I decided to play through this game again and I still love it. It has been just enough time (5 years exactly) since I last played it, that I do not remember everything, so some of the game feels new to me this playthrough.

Back when this game first came out, it was the first game in quite some time that I would sit and play for 10 hours or more. I seem to be just as hooked this time, but after 7 hours of playing it last night i got so tired I started to forget what buttons did what...:

https://twitter.com/WaffleRobot/status/1499920544849793025?s=20&t=GBfV8CpJkJw20aWCeHb7sg

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Helmsly said:

I decided to play through this game again and I still love it. It has been just enough time (5 years exactly)

So you were finished with it inside two non-stop days and that was that... :p 

• Like 1

The Mrs just messaged me to say my daughter (just turned 4) is playing this… she asked to play “the horsey game”… she’s generally just riding around on the horse, but then she comes across enemies and annihilates them! :D

It helps that she’s playing on my file where I’m fully decked out, but still, nobody has told her how to play it (she’s only watched my stepdaughter play it a bit) and she’s figured it out herself, buttons and all.

Definitely my daughter! :laughing:

• Like 1

A core part of the gameplay-first design that makes it so special? I've never understood the few people who complain about it, the entire point of the game is about discovery and finding things in the wild. The gameplay is about adaptability and getting stronger.

Did you also complain about Norman Reedus falling over and dropping everything in Death Stranding? 

37 minutes ago, Kav said:

The Mrs just messaged me to say my daughter (just turned 4) is playing this… she asked to play “the horsey game”… she’s generally just riding around on the horse, but then she comes across enemies and annihilates them! :D

It helps that she’s playing on my file where I’m fully decked out, but still, nobody has told her how to play it (she’s only watched my stepdaughter play it a bit) and she’s figured it out herself, buttons and all.

Definitely my daughter! :laughing:

Nice! You must be very proud :D

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

My slow and very casual play through this game is still going on. I've completed all Shrines and Shrine quests, completed all 77 side quests and even, for no good reason whatsoever, collected all 900 Korok seeds:

Fep4WofaAAAuFGv?format=jpg&name=small

Which of course unlocks:

Spoiler

Fep6wtNagAA-Wki?format=jpg&name=large

A shiny Gold turd

As strange as it is to say it, It was actually fun hunting down all those seeds as it made me explore pretty much every inch of the game and I got to see stuff I'd never seen before. I found some mini games and NPC's that I didn't know about, such as this one that thought I was going to off myself:

I also got to see some nice views along the way:

FNQrCxmVQAE5BFu?format=jpg&name=small

FNQrCxpVUAMvEGE?format=jpg&name=small

Fep3rvzaEAA8KHe?format=jpg&name=small

FcvCClTaIAMI5zG?format=jpg&name=small

I only have to collect the very final memory and then fight Ganon and then the game is mostly done for me. There are a few other things I will probably attempt afterwards but not right away, Such as completing the compendium, unlock the different horse saddles and then maybe attempting the to get the Three Medals you can win for killing every boss that walks around the game.

FevAU01aYAA8JOg?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 2

On 20/09/2022 at 12:15 PM, Ronnie said:

A core part of the gameplay-first design that makes it so special? I've never understood the few people who complain about it, the entire point of the game is about discovery and finding things in the wild. The gameplay is about adaptability and getting stronger.

The gameplay can be about whatever it wants - it doesn't detract from that it's an vastly (albeit nice looking) empty environment, mostly devoid of civilisation, only three temples to get the Master Sword (they shoehorned that one they couldn't be bothered to put in Wind Waker to make four*) with uninspiring bosses - and a fuckton of copy and pasted shrines. There are a few standouts shrines granted, but to be honest I can't think of anything that really stood out on the whole that I can tell peeps about. I fully intend to replay it at some point, and will do more at ground level, as a lot of distance was covered by climbing to the highest point in the direction I was travelling and then gliding onwards** to whichever bit I want to explore.

Throughout the whole game, I only stole one horse from a bokoglobin, and that was what they gave me for the (final) Ganon battle, and I after completing the game I cannot see why I would bother attempting to get a different mount, or why I would've wasted time trying to "catch 'em all" - except they're all horses/deer - and it would have somehow improved my final boss experience.

*I know it's a shitty joke. Suck it.

** I feel very confident I didn't miss much in the way of plot as a result, optional stuff - maybe, but my overall experience shouldn't force me to look elsewhere because the core experience is so lacking.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY
Jabu Jabu in Wind Waker was a cop out and y'all know it.