NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

2 hours ago, dwarf said:

I imagine BotW will see a sequel on Switch.

I've mentioned this a few times, but I'd really like to see the proper sequel on the Switch's successor as a launch title. They now have experience with a big open world, so building a new one will probably be faster, but they still need to build a new one from scratch. That plus, in addition, in order to make the ultimate Zelda game, they need to design several of the best dungeons you can find in this open world. Plus the usual refinements. This could easily take another 5 years, which would probably be right on time for Switch 2. This would also give the Switch 2 a flying start, you don't want a Switch U, and obviously having Breath of the Wild as a launch game helped the Switch tremendously.

That's not to say we can't have Zelda content in the meantime. Personally, I wouldn't mind a second season pass at all. Perhaps they could make another smaller top down game a lá A Link between worlds, made by a smaller team. Or even a spin-off.. Four Swords would be perfect for Switch. Plus there's the Zelda maker that a lot of people want. Personally I can see a lot of problems with a Zelda maker though.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm I'm really not on the DLC hype as far as Zelda is concerned, feels wrong. The Switch has legs so I think they could do one from the ground-up for it, and then launch the following Zelda on the Switch's successor a year or two into launch.

Neither scenario is ideal, but I think it would be a mistake if they didn't capitalise on the great work they've done with the engine. It means they can focus their efforts on refining all the important stuff that they didn't quite manage in BotW. 

That's if it is an either/or thing. Hard to see what other direction they could take.

Edited by dwarf

3 hours ago, dwarf said:

Correct.

I imagine BotW will see a sequel on Switch. Nintendo have ploughed so much time into the engine and art design that it would be a waste not to reuse some of it, especially given the rave reception. My prediction is that we'll have another open world game but with new abilities and traditionally-themed Zelda dungeons, which will win over some of the people who didn't enjoy this one as much.

The Zelda team are very good at listening to fan feedback on their games, and then acting on it. 

I can easily see the DLC addressing criticism. Things like including a "traditional" dungeon, more narrative etc. And then like you say going even further to improve things in a potential sequel. 

19 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I can easily see the DLC addressing criticism. Things like including a "traditional" dungeon, more narrative etc. And then like you say going even further to improve things in a potential sequel. 

This is certainly what I'm hoping for with the DLC. 

DLC is fine if they want to test the waters with an idea in preparation for the next game, but personally after a huge RPG my head's in a different place by the time extra content comes out. Unless they add several dungeons or transform vast swathes of the landscape in some way (populate it with new sub-bosses, add mini regions, etc), I don't really understand the point of the extra content in a game like this. They're effectively adding a self-contained level to a game whose selling point is its open world.

I bought the GotY edition of Fallout 3 after selling on the standard version, which meant I had a chance to play all the DLC for that. Thing is, it didn't change my opinion of the game, if anything it was an unnecessary drag. Granted the DLC itself was poor, but if you're relying on DLC to fix a game or change the story, you're doing something wrong. The boat has sailed. 

In the case of Fallout 3, they actually made a mockery of the original ending by rewriting it, which really ticked off the fans. I doubt Nintendo would do something as heavy-handed as that though.

I might be in the minority here. Plus, there's every chance Nintendo proves me wrong.

Edited by dwarf

I guess we'll find out in a few hours. 

My head's in a different space too but I am absolutely keen to jump back into that world for a few more hours. 

I wonder if there'll be a new area to explore or they'll just use the same overworld. Probably both I guess. 

Shadow drop! 

The Master Cycle Zero looks pretty ridiculous, but the rest of it looks fantastic. Not available to download just yet, I have a feeling Nintendo's servers are going to get absolutely trashed over the next few hours.

This looks incredible! I was ready to fire up Zelda this morning after seeing the trailer, but after a lot af searching it seems I've lost my copy :shakehead. Damn these small Switch games!

Hope you all enjoy the DLC though :D

It's pretty telling that the only thing that got a smile from me was the confirmation that Mario Kart is now an official part of the Zelda Timeline.

• Haha 1

Firing this up after playing Xenoblade 2 its very blatant just how bad that game looks in handheld mode.

Ive just picked up the One-Hit Obliterator and about to set about on the DLC adventure.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Spoiler

Oh come on Kass! Did you really have to do a lame name drop? I thought you were cool...

Epic groans from me.

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:
  DLC Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

Oh come on Kass! Did you really have to do a lame name drop? I thought you were cool...

Epic groans from me.

Wait, are you playing the DLC as well? If so then I find it hilarious that two of the people who didn't think much of the game are the ones sitting playing the DLC at launch. @drahkon you're not playing it as well, are you? :D 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Wait, are you playing the DLC as well? If so then I find it hilarious that two of the people who didn't think much of the game are the ones sitting playing the DLC at launch. @drahkon you're not playing it as well, are you? :D 

I don't own the game, so no. But more importantly: I really have no desire to play it :D But I'm looking forward to reading your impressions. But not @Glen-i's because he SUCKS :p

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

No, I'm watching Dcubed's bro play it. But I foolishly bought the DLC because I thought, "Hey, if it's even 10% as good as Hyrule Warriors, it'll be worth it"

That'll teach me, huh? But at least I got to beat up Ganon while advertising the Switch.

I'm waiting to see if the dungeon doesn't completely suck balls first.

Edited by Glen-i

I'm sorry, but since when is BOTW a Christmas game? It came out almost 9 months ago!

Currently getting all the armour and stuff...and I don't have enough space for it. I'll have to sell some stuff, which is annoying.

Dove straight into the story DLC and just finished up the initial part, interested to see how it develops as that was a bit underwhelming...

I put a bit more time into the DLC today and sadly it seems to be just more of the same. I was hoping for a more meatier bit of story and a nice large dungeon but it just seems to be extra shrines that are hidden behind a bunch of tasks. Obviously many will be happy with this but I was hoping the DLC would offer me something different and more enjoyable. :( 

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:
  DLC Spoiler (Hide contents)

Epic groans from me.

It'll be a loooong time before I complete this game. Can you tell me what this was?

I really wanted to play AS the champions! :(

Edited by Phube

I can't wait to get stuck into the DLC. More of the same is great for me!

So glad to see that the game won GOTY award. So much deserved! Fantastic game.

• Like 1