NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

So a very quick response from me (since I want to go back to playing Zelda). You'd think I've been playing Zelda for 3 days straight, but that's not the case. Had the most time on Friday evening (even though I had the game on 09:30) and Sunday evening, didn't have time Saturday. On Saturday, my brother was well ahead, but I've "caught up", though that's a matter of perspective, as we both headed out in different doirections, and I seem to be a bit more thorough.

Anyway, let's get the negative out of the way first:

Framerates. I don't care about the regular framerate drops.. But fighting Moblins is atrocious, with the screen freezing for several seconds on occasions. I see some more people having this issue, it seems to apply only to people playing in docked mode. I'm avoiding them now for this reason. I'm assuming this is just badly programmed, and can be patched, because I only have this problems when fighting Moblins. I've fought bigger things without any trouble.

Apart from that, and some minor things (inventory, technical graphics), I'm loving it.

I took my sweet, sweet time getting off the plateau, while my brother was exploring the Gerudo desert, I still had to do the last shrine on the plateau on Sunday. I was adamant at getting the correct recipe for the warm doublet (which is green!), so I spent quite a bit of time hunting boars. So annoying when you don't get them.. Anyway, by the time I got off the plateau, I had found 10 Koroks, defeated the rock monster, cooked various stuff, and found some better gear, including the hylian trousers, though most of it was more or less outclassed by stuff you quickly find when getting off the plateau.

Unlike my brother, I decided to go to Kakariko village as suggested, though again I took my sweet time getting there. Went zig zagging through hyrule field to check the ruins and other stuff. When I see a mountain, I go over it, not around.

I haven't used fast travel so far, and even now I have a horse, I still walk (or glide) everywhere. The best way to find Koroks and miscellaneous insects. And obviously I go to every shrine somewhat on my path. Also found and defeated 2 other rock monsters. Anyway, Kakariko village, I did most of the sidequests there I think. Also found the great fairy. Got the complete Hylian outfit upgraded, though I don't know if it has a setbonus or something.

Last thing I did was looking for honey for one of the sidequests (the only thing I didn't have on me), so I decided to roughly go to the next place that was suggested to me, Hatena village. I found my honey, and also some sort of cyclops giant, that's where I left of.

Short miscellaneous thoughts:

Are there romance options? I want to marry Paya. She's adorable :love:

I haven't played Okami extensively, but Kakariko village actually reminded me of one of the villages there.

Haven't used elixers all that much, but might elixers came in handy during those "boss" fights (the Tantus monsters).

Get that Animal crossing feeling by hunting bugs.

I do miss bottles though. it feels so weird having fairies in your pockets.

Controls and/or button mapping aren't optimal, combined with the fact you have more features and options than ever, it takes some getting used to. I have died several times from blowing myself up with my own bomb. I often crouch during battles. I hope the pro controller alleviates some of this stuff, haven't used it yet. Will tonight.

Bought the dlc.. Thinking about it now, I think I only found one the dlc chests? Haven't seen the other 2, and don't have a Switch t-shirt. If the one I found is a dlc chest, it looks ugly, but the contents were inoffensive. Nothing too immersion breaking.

Hmm, I think I have more to say.. But I want to go back to Zelda. See ya.

So a very quick response from me (since I want to go back to playing Zelda). You'd think I've been playing Zelda for 3 days straight, but that's not the case. Had the most time on Friday evening (even though I had the game on 09:30) and Sunday evening, didn't have time Saturday. On Saturday, my brother was well ahead, but I've "caught up", though that's a matter of perspective, as we both headed out in different doirections, and I seem to be a bit more thorough.

Anyway, let's get the negative out of the way first:

Framerates. I don't care about the regular framerate drops.. But fighting Moblins is atrocious, with the screen freezing for several seconds on occasions. I see some more people having this issue, it seems to apply only to people playing in docked mode. I'm avoiding them now for this reason. I'm assuming this is just badly programmed, and can be patched, because I only have this problems when fighting Moblins. I've fought bigger things without any trouble.

Apart from that, and some minor things (inventory, technical graphics), I'm loving it.

I took my sweet, sweet time getting off the plateau, while my brother was exploring the Gerudo desert, I still had to do the last shrine on the plateau on Sunday. I was adamant at getting the correct recipe for the warm doublet (which is green!), so I spent quite a bit of time hunting boars. So annoying when you don't get them.. Anyway, by the time I got off the plateau, I had found 10 Koroks, defeated the rock monster, cooked various stuff, and found some better gear, including the hylian trousers, though most of it was more or less outclassed by stuff you quickly find when getting off the plateau.

Unlike my brother, I decided to go to Kakariko village as suggested, though again I took my sweet time getting there. Went zig zagging through hyrule field to check the ruins and other stuff. When I see a mountain, I go over it, not around.

I haven't used fast travel so far, and even now I have a horse, I still walk (or glide) everywhere. The best way to find Koroks and miscellaneous insects. And obviously I go to every shrine somewhat on my path. Also found and defeated 2 other rock monsters. Anyway, Kakariko village, I did most of the sidequests there I think. Also found the great fairy. Got the complete Hylian outfit upgraded, though I don't know if it has a setbonus or something.

Last thing I did was looking for honey for one of the sidequests (the only thing I didn't have on me), so I decided to roughly go to the next place that was suggested to me, Hatena village. I found my honey, and also some sort of cyclops giant, that's where I left of.

Short miscellaneous thoughts:

Are there romance options? I want to marry Paya. She's adorable :love:

I haven't played Okami extensively, but Kakariko village actually reminded me of one of the villages there.

Haven't used elixers all that much, but might elixers came in handy during those "boss" fights (the Tantus monsters).

Get that Animal crossing feeling by hunting bugs.

I do miss bottles though. it feels so weird having fairies in your pockets.

Controls and/or button mapping aren't optimal, combined with the fact you have more features and options than ever, it takes some getting used to. I have died several times from blowing myself up with my own bomb. I often crouch during battles. I hope the pro controller alleviates some of this stuff, haven't used it yet. Will tonight.

Bought the dlc.. Thinking about it now, I think I only found one the dlc chests? Haven't seen the other 2, and don't have a Switch t-shirt. If the one I found is a dlc chest, it looks ugly, but the contents were inoffensive. Nothing too immersion breaking.

Hmm, I think I have more to say.. But I want to go back to Zelda. See ya.

I'm playing it like you and love every minute of it. I've not faced against any of the bigger monsters yet. I see them and then run away.

I have also just figured out a riddle to access a shrine.

This game :love:

Oh man the thunder is something else!!!

I have been on some missions running for ever to see Robbie. This game is huge.

I came across some huge monster sleeping and just left him be.

I've not faced against any of the bigger monsters yet. I see them and then run away.

:

I came across some huge monster sleeping and just left him be.

You're all cowards! Get stuck in there!!

You're all cowards! Get stuck in there!!

Says the wuss who's scared to play RE 7... :heh:

Says the wuss who's scared to play RE 7... :heh:

Giant cartoony creatures = Fine

Realistic looking monsters + first person + jump scares = Brown trousers

Giant cartoony creatures = Fine

Realistic looking monsters + first person + jump scares = Brown trousers

Nearly choked on me digestive :D.

Fair point that :heh:

What in gods name is this shrine with the motion controls? What the actual fuck kind of fuckery?! I can't do it and I'm ready to smash something. Whyyyy.

After getting the ball to the end of the maze, make sure the platform is aligned with the ledge (rotate the Switch if necessary). Then, tilt down and flick up at the last moment.

Apparently you can also cheat a bit by turning the platform upside-down. Personally, I found it frustrating for a bit, but I do assume there are much harder things in the game.

After getting the ball to the end of the maze, make sure the platform is aligned with the ledge (rotate the Switch if necessary). Then, tilt down and flick up at the last moment.

Apparently you can also cheat a bit by turning the platform upside-down. Personally, I found it frustrating for a bit, but I do assume there are much harder things in the game.

That moment ties with the Gerudo boss for me.

But the motion control bit had a wtf feel to it and was unneccesary.

In fact another gripe I have is while I'm playing and I aim an arrow then move in my chair the motion controls move the cross hairs. Annoying.

Thanks man! I did it shortly after coming here to bitch. Took it slowly and it worked out.

I am just loving every second I spend with this game though. Already the best Zelda I've ever played in my eyes. Sublime.

In fact another gripe I have is while I'm playing and I aim an arrow then move in my chair the motion controls move the cross hairs. Annoying.

You can turn off the motion controls for aiming in the options. It was the first thing I done when trying to see if I could turn them off for the Marble Madness motion controlled puzzle.

Wow I can't believe some of you have finished it already, fair play. I'm slowly ambling through the game exploring lots of little areas but trying to do it organically rather than force it. I tend to slowly make my way to a main quest marker whist exploring things that look interesting on the way. My god do I love this game it's just breathtaking from the visuals down the tiny details like picking apples off a tree. It's not Zelda as many know it but it really evokes the original game, maybe Nintendo can make a Wind Waker or twilight princess esq game for Switch so that those upset with the change have something to look forward too ( a ALBW sequel maybe?). For me it's a change for better and gives Zelda a fresh and wonderful world to explore and I'm only at Hateno village.

Great haul from my 30th anniversary amiibo today. Got the Biggoron Sword, the sword from the original LoZ, the Boomerang from Wind Waker

That moment ties with the Gerudo boss for me.

But the motion control bit had a wtf feel to it and was unneccesary.

I'm with HoT - they're too sensitive when they kick in and fuck up my stick aiming so I just turned them off to avoid any issues; especially as I can shift around a bit when gaming.

I sunk most of my evening into this last night though I'm not sure if I really got anywhere - I've done about 4 shrines since leaving the plateau and was just leaving Kakariko village last night. Didn't do much there except talk to the person you have to talk to, a shrine, and then left.

Think there's only been one shrine I've come across so far that I haven't managed to do - one about The Wind Guiding me? Can't figure out how I'm supposed to fly through said wind despite it being quite an early shrine to pass; not sure if I'm missing something or I'm missing something! I'll check it out again at some point I'm sure though.

I did something immensely dumb. I wanted to try and make something and completely forgot that flour is made from wheat (in real life). I needed flour to try and make something, turns out you just use wheat.

Think there's only been one shrine I've come across so far that I haven't managed to do - one about The Wind Guiding me? Can't figure out how I'm supposed to fly through said wind despite it being quite an early shrine to pass; not sure if I'm missing something or I'm missing something! I'll check it out again at some point I'm sure though.

I'm not sure if this is the shrine ( a lot of them have similar puzzles ) but if it's the wind one I'm thinking of where you have to use your glider to fly your way to the top, there is a hidden fan behind the highest pillar. You have to fly around the left of it and you'll them be able to reach the top.

Great haul from my 30th anniversary amiibo today. Got the Biggoron Sword, the sword from the original LoZ, the Boomerang from Wind Waker

That settles it, today I'm finally going to open all of the Zelda amiibo I picked up since late last year, so that's the 30th anniversary set and the Breath of the Wild set. (I want those items!) :heh:

I've been meaning to for a while anyway, I shall take some pictures for an image gallery while I'm at it. :)

That settles it, today I'm finally going to open all of the Zelda amiibo I picked up since late last year, so that's the 30th anniversary set and the Breath of the Wild set. (I want those items!) :heh:

I've been meaning to for a while anyway, I shall take some pictures for an image gallery while I'm at it. :)

Quick tip that I didn't find out until last night, you can save before you use them, tap the amiibo and if you don't get what you want then you can reload your save and try again. I wish I knew this sooner as it would have saved me faffing about with the Wii U clock.

Enemies standing on metal. Throw a box down that has electricity. Enemies die.

I love this game

Making some good progress in-game. Did take some getting used to, not used to a Zelda game being this open world. Well, not since the original on the NES. Did randomly get Epona from the Smash Link Amiibo. then she ultimately died on the way to a Sheikah Tower just East of Kakariko.

The Sheikah tower West of Hyrule Castle, urghhh. Can't climb that due to a combination of not enough arrows and the damn Wizrobes buzzing around.

This rain is pissing me right off. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be tied to a chair and forced to watch the super mario bros movie over and over again.

In case you were wondering, these are what the costumes for the unreleased Amiibo look like in-game.

TBWyxUT.jpg

uGFkT6O.jpg

This rain is pissing me right off. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be tied to a chair and forced to watch the super mario bros movie over and over again.

I think it's a superb idea. The dynamic weather is outstanding. The fright you get from thunder and the panic when your gear starts gaining static...

Hoping Pikmin 4 gets this.

I think it's a superb idea. The dynamic weather is outstanding. The fright you get from thunder and the panic when your gear starts gaining static...

Hoping Pikmin 4 gets this.

The frustration when you have to light blue torches but can't because it's raining for 20 minutes....