NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

As it has been said every other publisher has the same issue to deal with it.

Every other publisher usually doesn't have to get a game out by a certain date to make a hardware release. When there's an arbitrary release date and said publisher is struggling, they just delay the game. That's why pretty much every single big AAA game these days gets delayed at least once. Zelda is different in this case because they can't delay the Switch release just because Europe localisation are struggling.

Why would they be struggling? As it has been said every other publisher has the same issue to deal with it.

If it is delayed in Europe I wouldn't be surprised simply because with the 3DS and Wii U we have seen them release games in the US and not Europe and vice versa.

It's bullshit.

Also there's about 20 lines of text maximum in Zelda games - that's counting all the "..." as well.

Every other publisher usually doesn't have to get a game out by a certain date to make a hardware release. When there's an arbitrary release date and said publisher is struggling, they just delay the game. That's why pretty much every single big AAA game these days gets delayed at least once. Zelda is different in this case because they can't delay the Switch release just because Europe localisation are struggling.

That's neither here or there. They have a major title that could possibly be released to coincide with the release of new hardware yet amazingly one territory could see that major title not released. That to me sounds like Nintendo europe being told the game wasn't going to be a launch title and then HQ have changed there mind and now Europe is scrambling.

Not good enough!!!

That's neither here or there. They have a major title that could possibly be released to coincide with the release of new hardware yet amazingly one territory could see that major title not released. That to me sounds like Nintendo europe being told the game wasn't going to be a launch title and then HQ have changed there mind and now Europe is scrambling.

Not good enough!!!

Your post is what's neither here nor there. You compared Nintendo's case here to every other publisher managing a simultaneous launch. I replied that in those cases, those publisher's games were more often than not simply delayed to allow that to happen. Clearly it's not as simple as that in Zelda's case when they've a hardware release deadline to meet.

They aren't strangers to this strategy. They've done it in the past with Mario 3D World and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, at least in the US ( we had a week between them, IIRC). Granted, these were across different platforms but they clearly aren't shy putting their biggest names out against each other.

It also depends what else they have up their sleeve for the rest of the year. It kind of makes you wonder just what is on the cards for the back end of 2017 if they can afford to have Mario and Zelda at launch.

3D Land and Skyward Sword came out on the same day in Europe.

Clearly they enjoy releasing Mario and Zelda on the same day. :D

Your post is what's neither here nor there. You compared Nintendo's case here to every other publisher managing a simultaneous launch. I replied that in those cases, those publisher's games were more often than not simply delayed to allow that to happen. Clearly it's not as simple as that in Zelda's case when they've a hardware release deadline to meet.

There is a deadline for all publishers on any hardware release for launch games. Nature of the beast. Screwing over Europe shouldn't be an option but it's been done before. Nintendo have form for this.

You either release worldwide or you hold off everywhere. This is a huge launch title. Delaying it in Europe gives off the same image that ninty have had for decades and that is that Nintendo don't care about Europe.

Can't believe people are defending Nintendo on this.

I thought it was 3dLand, Mario Kart 7 AND Skyward Sword on the same day?

I thought it was 3dLand, Mario Kart 7 AND Skyward Sword on the same day?

Nope. MK7 was December 2nd while the other two were November 18

You either release worldwide or you hold off everywhere. This is a huge launch title. Delaying it in Europe gives off the same image that ninty have had for decades and that is that Nintendo don't care about Europe.

Can't believe people are defending Nintendo on this.

I don't think anyone is defending Nintendo, because at this time there is nothing to defend.

All I'm saying is that we heard this crap with Star Fox and it didn't turn out that way. Rumour be rumour. It doesn't need defending or criticising until it's confirmed

Edited by Serebii

Why would they be struggling? As it has been said every other publisher has the same issue to deal with it.

If it is delayed in Europe I wouldn't be surprised simply because with the 3DS and Wii U we have seen them release games in the US and not Europe and vice versa.

It's bullshit.

The difference is most publishers want to release the games at a certain date - say autumn for an assassins creed or whatever. And that game will come out then whatever state it is in. Nintendo (and some others) will only release the game when it's ready rather than some abitrary date. This game has taken a lot longer to make as we've seen and it seemed for a worldwide release it wouldn't be ready in time for the launch, hence all the rumours of it being delayed. The last bit is the translations into all the languages. Now if Japan and America think, hang on, we can actually release it and it'd be useful, so why should we wait.

I mean. It makes so much sense, it may be screwing people over, but it makes sense. I don't know how the situation can be any more clear.

But I don't think it's even true, but I can see how the situation could play out. It's not that baffling. And comparing to other publishers just doesn't work. Games get delayed all the time, the argument against it shouldn't be - well other publishers can release their games on time, the assumption is they just need more time to make it better.

That's another great point against the whole "other publishers manage simultaneous releases, why can't Nintendo" argument. Other publishers more often than not release games broken to be patched later!

The versions coming out in each territory are different SKUs and as such have to be submitted for standards checking (even for 1st party titles from what I hear) and as such, they will be tested separately. The game will be likely released in EFS (English, French and Spanish) in the US and EFIGS (with Italian and German added) in EU/Australia. As it's a different SKU the EFIGS build will have to be tested in all 5 languages even if the EFS has already been done as they are different builds. Oh and then there's the fact that it's coming out on 2 consoles too!

That's just one small reason for the delay. That's not to get into exchange rates, logistics, manufacturing, releasing on an unreleased platform (tons of compliance testing to do for each territory just for that!) advertising, retail, server load and legal issues.

I'm not saying that it's impossible but it's damn hard!

I wonder if this will end up being the first 3D Zelda game I actually complete.

I think with enough time I'll probably finish Twilight Princess HD but I've still got a massive backlog to play between now and March (if this comes in March) that is going to keep be from carrying on with TPHD.

The versions coming out in each territory are different SKUs and as such have to be submitted for standards checking (even for 1st party titles from what I hear) and as such, they will be tested separately. The game will be likely released in EFS (English, French and Spanish) in the US and EFIGS (with Italian and German added) in EU/Australia. As it's a different SKU the EFIGS build will have to be tested in all 5 languages even if the EFS has already been done as they are different builds. Oh and then there's the fact that it's coming out on 2 consoles too!

That's just one small reason for the delay. That's not to get into exchange rates, logistics, manufacturing, releasing on an unreleased platform (tons of compliance testing to do for each territory just for that!) advertising, retail, server load and legal issues.

I'm not saying that it's impossible but it's damn hard!

Wouldn't you expect someone like Nintendo to be far more experienced and prepared for these issues and to stop putting on a performance like it's amateur hour, though?

THAT'S my real big issue about it. Whatever excuses can be made - so much of this was/is in the hands and control of Nintendo. They CAN manage these things - they just choose not to. Their 'deadline' is also their own setting - nobody else is ultimately choosing when to release The Switch but them at the end of the day.

I think the Switch, Mario and Zelda launch are really gonna make or break them. I want this, and I want Switch(lets see what Friday holds) but I'm just apprehensive because they make themselves look so shoddy sometimes.

Wouldn't you expect someone like Nintendo to be far more experienced and prepared for these issues and to stop putting on a performance like it's amateur hour, though?

THAT'S my real big issue about it. Whatever excuses can be made - so much of this was/is in the hands and control of Nintendo. They CAN manage these things - they just choose not to. Their 'deadline' is also their own setting - nobody else is ultimately choosing when to release The Switch but them at the end of the day.

Oh absolutely, I was just trying to put into some perspective that this isn't as simple as some people may think. And although I know what you mean about their own deadline, this is a huge span of control we're talking about here. From the firmware on the Switch to the physical and digital release of every game on release in every territory (well mostly). It's no small thing.

But yes after 30 years they really should be able to handle this by now. Especially as several of their release day games are going to be revamps of Wii U titles.

NoA tweeted out that the Wii U version of the game will arrive the same day as the Switch version (3/3).

Is europe March 3rd confirmed?