NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by unpopulated world.... I've only played windwaker on the gc...and the sea travelling parts seemed pretty lifeless. But I would call that barren more than anything....

so it your issue that there aren't bustling cities full of fully interactive individuals, or that areas of wilderness don't have anything but grass and trees?

The short clip we have seen seemed to have a goat herder wandering through that field (wonder if he got zapped :P) but those kind of details could be promising...

That's what I mean, barren locations, the odd one town and that's it.

I'd rather they had a world the size of WW but used most of the hardware grunt used to create NPCs and communities. Really disliked how SS introduced new races but with no dwelling to understand their society etc.

That's what I mean, barren locations, the odd one town and that's it.

I'd rather they had a world the size of WW but used most of the hardware grunt used to create NPCs and communities. Really disliked how SS introduced new races but with no dwelling to understand their society etc.

See... I'd quite like the space in between rather than have everything un naturally packed together... like it's 5 minutes to one village, 10 minutes North to a town, 10 minutes South to a town (by foot) which would then translate as what.. 1 minute to the village and 100 seconds or so to either town by horse?

and to have areas of wilderness, where even by horse it would be half an hour to the next town... but in the wilderness have little nuggets.. game things where it will help, side quests, or just sit on the mountain top looking out over hyrule... Or take it as a shortcut to bypass a certain town you'd rather not need to go to. it's natural to have relatively barren areas.. but so long as there are things to do there, even without NPC's and communities.

I think Red Dead Redemption did it quite well. They had places which felt truly in the wilderness, and long distances between settlements, but they had NPCs every so often on the roads, and wildlife to hunt, etc. Felt alive.

I don't think Zelda needs to be an open world, non linear experience in the same mould as 'Skyrim'. 'Skyward Sword' came out at the same time as 'Skyrim' and it was really nice to have two such different experiences, I really enjoyed that 'Skyward Sword' was this enclosed, linear narrative. It meant that every aspect of the experience had been refined and orchestrated brilliantly. I think there is still a place for really deliberate storytelling, but I can see why Nintendo and Anouma have decided to try and provide a thoroughly modern game.

In terms of being truly open world, I can see them taking inspiration from 'A Link Between Worlds' and allowing us to tackle dungeon areas in any order, but I think there will be a TP style shell around Hyrule Castle to prevent being able to explore it to early. I don't think we'll get Loft Wings or any sort of flying abilities, I think the sail cloth will be the only way to travel through the air.

There is definitely room for more narrative-driven stories in an open world. In Skyrim, you could focus entirely on the main quest and you'll get a much stronger narrative than Skyward Sword (albeit still one that's not great).

I really dislike Open World games... In general. I like Bully, Lego City seemed okay, the Batman games... that's about it... I wish Zelda wasn't, but then if anyone can make an incredible open world game it's nintendo!

I've been thinking about how "open world" I like my games. I struggle with things like Skyrim as I like something more directed but I loved LEGO City and I'm a big fan of how Borderlands does it to.

To me Zelda excels when it's like that (as does Metroid). Gives you enough room to get into trouble and find a challenge but compartmentalises enough to not ruin a more controlled style of game design. But all of these only work when you're inspired to explore and rewarded by doing so.

I've been thinking about how "open world" I like my games. I struggle with things like Skyrim as I like something more directed but I loved LEGO City and I'm a big fan of how Borderlands does it to.

To me Zelda excels when it's like that (as does Metroid). Gives you enough room to get into trouble and find a challenge but compartmentalises enough to not ruin a more controlled style of game design. But all of these only work when you're inspired to explore and rewarded by doing so.

The big problem with Skyrim is that most of the world feels too anonymous. Buildings are cloned out, the color scheme is bland etc. A game I really like, that Nintendo can look at for inspiration is Red Dead Redemption.

According to details sent out by Nintendo Australia, there will be 2 lengthy playable demos of Zelda Wii U at E3. Press have been asked to set aside 60 - 90 mins for the demo to make the most of the gameplay.

So it seems like there'll probably be a dungeon demo and a Hyrule field demo. I don't think i'll look at much of it, hopefully they will release a trailer too despite their weird insistence on not having a Direct. I'm keen to see what the game looks like now, but don't want to know too many details until I actually play it.

Man, this time next week we will have finally seen the game in all its glory. :bouncy:

I'm hoping they start the Zelda stream with an actual trailer. They better not have Reggie waffle on and then just cut to the Treehouse guys playing it.

I'm not sure if this was ever posted on here but here's a cracking fan made trailer for the anniversary of the series to get people hyped.

Was just about to post that! Looks really nice, thankfully this week will go by pretty quickly thanks to the Euro's starting on Friday.

If you go to http://e3.nintendo.com/ there's a nice Zelda Wii U loading image that shows the Lens Of Truth, so it looks like that will play a major role in the game.

1BEYsj8.jpg

Could we also interpret those dots to be the position of dungeons on the map?

Edited by killthenet

If you go to http://e3.nintendo.com/ there's a nice Zelda Wii U loading image that shows the Lens Of Truth, so it looks like that will play a major role in the game.

I'm more inclined to believe that it's more to do with the actual Sheikah tribe as a whole.

I can understand where you're coming from though, what with the handle-like bit at the bottom. But my money is on Sheikah.

I'm not the only one who thought that the blue buckle on Epona's face was actually her eye at first glance was I?

This sprung to mind immediately...

retarded-horse-family-guy-name-502.jpg

... before I saw her actual eye anyway :p

New artwork

CkbZRGhXIAA9wb-.jpg:orig

Man, say what you like about Nintendo in its current state, they really know how to capture fans with a single image! It's beautiful!

I'm still gutted that they're showing off what we can all, at this point, suppose is a fair portion of the game in the livestream next week, and I'll probably find myself dropping in from time to time, or perhaps just wait for a GameXplain video summarising the major features.

But honestly, my biggest hope is for a 2-5 minute long trailer which does that for us.

Man, say what you like about Nintendo in its current state, they really know how to capture fans with a single image! It's beautiful!

I'm still gutted that they're showing off what we can all, at this point, suppose is a fair portion of the game in the livestream next week, and I'll probably find myself dropping in from time to time, or perhaps just wait for a GameXplain video summarising the major features.

But honestly, my biggest hope is for a 2-5 minute long trailer which does that for us.

Sadly, even this 'new' art work hasn't quiet captured great appeal for this game. Plus the fact they will reveal a great deal of information, while it remains a long way off from being released. Ugh!

[TWEET]741363241729855488[/TWEET]

Rumours are going around that...

1. The game has 4 main dungeons and 100 mini dungeons scattered around the overworld.

2. The game will feature dynamic weather.

3. The game is about technology vs fantasy. ( lots of robots for you @Ronnie :D )

Not long to see whether these and past rumours are true.

Hmm 4 dungeons? that seems initially too short, but then Majora's mask wasthe best zelda,

100 mini dungeons sounds amazing

i guess it all comes down to length of them really

not too long to wait now

Argh, not more robots! Suppose the trailer kind of gave that impression anyway.

The 4 main dungeons + 100 mini dungeons thing sounds good, and very plausible; something similar to the tombs in Tomb Raider maybe? It's certainly an interesting idea and would make a lot of sense given modern openworld games are usually populated with lots of mini objectives dotted across a big map.

I don't usually put that much faith in these sort of pre-E3 rumours, but this one sounds quite plausible. Then again, it doesn't take a genius to invent that info given what we've seen/heard about the game so far.

Argh, not more robots! Suppose the trailer kind of gave that impression anyway.

The 4 main dungeons + 100 mini dungeons thing sounds good, and very plausible; something similar to the tombs in Tomb Raider maybe? It's certainly an interesting idea and would make a lot of sense given modern openworld games are usually populated with lots of mini objectives dotted across a big map.

I don't usually put that much faith in these sort of pre-E3 rumours, but this one sounds quite plausible. Then again, it doesn't take a genius to invent that info given what we've seen/heard about the game so far.

I kind of expected the mini dungeons what with LBW and all. Hoped for more dungeons, though. HOWEVER...since Zelda games always have competing themes, there's likely a "dark world" style alternate set of dungeons. Maybe underground? Fantasy side of the dungeon on top, buried underneath there's a forgotten technology style dungeon. So eight dungeons. Just a theory I've had for a while...not based on much but, meh. Final dungeon separate (just four main dungeons would be less than MM, since with the last one it's five total).

Not sure you can just double the rumoured dungeon count but maybe. I think most of the mini dungeons are likely to just be a couple of rooms each. I think if done right it could work really well. Would certainly flesh out the overworld