NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I can't say I'm too surprised really, even if they'd devoted 20mins of the direct to Pokemon it would have come out feeling too short. I don't think it was their original plan, but I also can't see why they would have had an NX blowout, considering what we've heard over the last week they didn't want it to get lost in the sea of news stories, so if it's not a case of the NX not being ready to show changing their plans then it's even weirder.

I wonder how much of Zelda they'll show. To be so far out from release and do a full hands on seems impossible, but the standard E3 demo with 2 or 3 playable areas wouldn't be enough for something like the Treehouse to cover in its typical form, they'd just be repeating themselves after an hour or so.

I hope the NX reveal isn't too far in the future, hopefully a September pre-TGS announcement at the latest.

Going by the rental space Nintendo originally took out I do believe the original plan was a NX reveal but something happened which caused the delay.

All very strange news indeed.

Obviously Nintendo will be hosting their very own NX unveiling, just as Sony and MS did with their respective consoles. What that does shock me though is that the NX unveiling didn't happen pre-E3 and the NX isn't at E3 with the games being shown off and the final console being playable on the show floor.

What shocks me even more is that Nintendo are only showing Zelda and aren't showing any other Wii U software, we know there wouldn't have been much, but we know Paper Mario exists and I believed there may well have been other software, maybe a Mario sports title or an HD remake in there to pad thing out.

What shocks me the most is the lack of 3DS. Whilst the Wii U is clearly on its last legs, the 3DS is still selling well and not pushing the system and its upcoming software seems like madness!

So ultimately, Nintendo are going all in on the one game I think most of us are interesting in. This could steal the show if it is the game changer they clearly believe it is. However if this falls flat and the game isn't as special as they believe, the back lash will be immense!

Overall, a very risky and bizarre strategy and one that sends out all the wrong messages of weakness when more than ever the company needs to show strength. It looks as though Nintendo are retreating further and further from the public eye and just going into their shell.

My only hope is that when they emerge from their shell they do so with such a bang and such a machine that the whole industry is truly shaken up.

Well I'll be watching the hell out of that!

Will you be on Party Chat on the PS4 when it's on? Will you be too @lostmario, @Blade?

I'll watch the first hour of it but then that'll be it for me.

They aren't going to show that much surely.

I'll watch the first hour of it but then that'll be it for me.

They aren't going to show that much surely.

I can't imagine they will do. I don't want there to be too many spoilers.

Do we even know they're having a digital event/Direct?

Maybe they'll just release a Zelda trailer, then let the press play the demo at E3. Seeing they're not showing anything else on the E3 show floor, why show it in a video beforehand?

Wouldn't surprise me at all, to be honest!

I called it!

So disappointing from Nintendo. I'm really interested to see what their E3 booth turns out like. Will they be using all that space just for Zelda?

Whats annoying to me is an in-depth showcasing of a game that's about a year away - knowing that it should have been released a lot earlier if it wasn't for the NX / Wii U failings....grrr.

If Zelda was a holiday title a full blow out like this makes sense - chill out and face the summer drought then anticipate nicely in the autumn... But Q2 2017?... Kinda like how I felt with the long overdue Majora's Mask remake announcement, I simply won't be as engaged and interested.

Whats annoying to me is an in-depth showcasing of a game that's about a year away - knowing that it should have been released a lot earlier if it wasn't for the NX / Wii U failings....grrr.

If Zelda was a holiday title a full blow out like this makes sense - chill out and face the summer drought then anticipate nicely in the autumn... But Q2 2017?... Kinda like how I felt with the long overdue Majora's Mask remake announcement, I simply won't be as engaged and interested.

Wasn't Majora's Mask 3D's reveal to release period just 3 months??

I think I'll host a party for the N-E staff as Nintendo has given us a week off.

Wasn't Majora's Mask 3D's reveal to release period just 3 months??

I mean before the reveal with all the leaks and suspense. Theres only so long I can be kept in suspense for.

As we're still talking about F-Zero - what about a 2D game instead of a fully HD title? With the right art style it could look pretty.

Personally can't stand 2D racers that don't have a landscape camera angle (ala Micro Machines).

I am seriously confused now

No direct?

ONLY a Zelda Treehouse

literally no other games? i thought Zelda would be the only WiiU/Nx Game and we'd still get 3DS stuff

What about the 3DS? they are supposed to be supporting it/refreshing it according to recent info (someone feel free to refresh my memory)

So when they reveal the NX at a later date are we safe to assume it will be a big NINTENDO event and not just an NX event?

and is it a safe bet it will come shortly after E3? a logical business decision for dropping megatons would be shortly after to kill hype for others/ride the coat tails of it?

I just don't know what the fuck is going on, it all seems to make no sense.....but te back of my mind a glimmer of hope remains because crazy nintendo (as they certainly are now) can come out hitting with awesome stuff and has in the past

I am seriously confused now

No direct?

ONLY a Zelda Treehouse

literally no other games? i thought Zelda would be the only WiiU/Nx Game and we'd still get 3DS stuff

What about the 3DS? they are supposed to be supporting it/refreshing it according to recent info (someone feel free to refresh my memory)

So when they reveal the NX at a later date are we safe to assume it will be a big NINTENDO event and not just an NX event?

and is it a safe bet it will come shortly after E3? a logical business decision for dropping megatons would be shortly after to kill hype for others/ride the coat tails of it?

I just don't know what the fuck is going on, it all seems to make no sense.....but te back of my mind a glimmer of hope remains because crazy nintendo (as they certainly are now) can come out hitting with awesome stuff and has in the past

I think that the same day Iwata died, the rest of Nintendo's brass got a collective stroke...

Nintendo are lying. @Dcubed stated as fact that he was "right again" and that Nintendo have a new animal crossing, pikmin 4, retros game for Wii u.... Even though we all, logic and now Nintendo say NOPE. They are coming. So don't worry guys!

This is all bonkers. Nx has blatantly messed all this up but it's a nice little experiment. I will say that Nintendo are fucking brave though, this is mental. They killed the Wii pretty badly, this is a massacre of a console. But grave. In a weird way it sort of makes me more confident in them.

As for Zelda. Obviously can't wait until we see it. Slightly worried about how open world its going to be... Hope it's more batman than gta...

I so hope it is a genuine super blockbuster, incredible game. I'm excited it'll be different. Although I've loved many games this gen, the big adventure games I was excited about like batman, and even hearing about uncharted, they feel like they could be slightly disappointing. Seen it all before, not quite as good as earlier versions. Be great to have a wow adventure game!

Edited by dazzybee

What's even more annoying is I don't even want to see much of Zelda!... does anyone? I know it's their job but I doubt the vast majority of those working in the industry want to go all in on Zelda either.

Also the reaction to Federation Force and Paper Mario has been largely negative. Are they just going to leave it that way?!

Stupid dumb elephant.

Nintendo are lying. @Dcubed stated as fact that he was "right again" and that nontn3od have a new animal crossing, pikmin 4, retrospect game for Wii u.... Even though we all, logic and now Nintendo say NOPE. They are coming. So don't worry guys!

You don't agree with or like Dcubed's previous statements, we know, but this is beginning to verge on vitriolic. At a quick glance over the recent posts he's not mentioned his beliefs so this just comes across as petty.

You don't agree with or like Dcubed's previous statements, we know, but this is beginning to verge on vitriolic. At a quick glance over the recent posts he's not mentioned his beliefs so this just comes across as petty.

I wouldn't say I don't like them, I think they were a bit mad, but I really don't care, they were entertaining if anything. Vitriolic? Really? Is there really no room for joking or a bit of winding up anymore? Has this place become that serious? that boring?

This place (well the world more and more) really does love to be offended by things...

I mean before the reveal with all the leaks and suspense. Theres only so long I can be kept in suspense for.

There were no leaks for it, though.

With the game as large as it is, I'd love to be able to traverse it using both Epona and a Loftwing. None of this lame Skyward Sword usage of Loftwings though, I'd like it so you could call your bird, get atop it and then just fly across the treetops etc.

What's even more annoying is I don't even want to see much of Zelda!... does anyone? I know it's their job but I doubt the vast majority of those working in the industry want to go all in on Zelda either.

Nor me. I'm not sure whether Nintendo is actively trying to make themselves irrelevant but whatever. Not going to keep my Wii U around long enough to play it anyway.

I still think it's likely that Nintendo are playing the PR game on this though. Didn't they say that they weren't going to show the Wii U in a press conference and then showed it in a direct.

There were no leaks for it, though.

There were - those barcode scans and the inevitability of MM 3D appearing alongside OOT 3D. Point is no one likes a cocktease.

I think that the same day Iwata died, the rest of Nintendo's brass got a collective stroke...

Look whos back. :)

With the game as large as it is, I'd love to be able to traverse it using both Epona and a Loftwing. None of this lame Skyward Sword usage of Loftwings though, I'd like it so you could call your bird, get atop it and then just fly across the treetops etc.

TBH mate, I don't think Nintendo can pull off something that grand... What experience do they have in building such open worlds? Or they build a massive world with a crappy and uninvested storyline to compensate for it.

Zelda doesn't really need to be 'open world' in the modern sense - IMO OOT, MM and WW were open world enough, in fact I feel WW, with more population is a good standard sized world.

But what has been lacking for me from TP to SS, is the connectivity of each realm within the world - I HATE with a passion the fact that we needed those twilight birds to go up to Zora's Domain or the launcher to go to the Desert.

All in all, my faith is low. Worst case is having to wait this long for something on the same pedigree as SS...

Edited by King_V
Automerged Doublepost

I'm really not that interested in seeing Zelda on the wii u.

I want the best version which will be on the NX so seeing a version I won't be buying does nothing for me.

There were - those barcode scans and the inevitability of MM 3D appearing alongside OOT 3D. Point is no one likes a cocktease.

Look whos back. :)

TBH mate, I don't think Nintendo can pull off something that grand... What experience do they have in building such open worlds? Or they build a massive world with a crappy and uninvested storyline to compensate for it.

Zelda doesn't really need to be 'open world' in the modern sense - IMO OOT, MM and WW were open world enough, in fact I feel WW, with more population is a good standard sized world.

But what has been lacking for me from TP to SS, is the connectivity of each realm within the world - I HATE with a passion the fact that we needed those twilight birds to go up to Zora's Domain or the launcher to go to the Desert.

All in all, my faith is low. Worst case is having to wait this long for something on the same pedigree as SS...

with open worlds... I think Lego City (Which Nintendo had a little input on) and more directly windwaker show their experience... the GC was much weaker than the Wii U, and Nintendo are taking a LOOOONG time working on this. Flying over terrain is plausible, but I can see them limiting landing sites to specific areas...which could be a shame.

with open worlds... I think Lego City (Which Nintendo had a little input on) and more directly windwaker show their experience... the GC was much weaker than the Wii U, and Nintendo are taking a LOOOONG time working on this. Flying over terrain is plausible, but I can see them limiting landing sites to specific areas...which could be a shame.

Perhaps. But yeah, I'm against game limitations for the sake of an unnecessarily massive world. No use having a massive but unpopulated world - and that's whats been the problem with most of the console Zeldas.

Perhaps. But yeah, I'm against game limitations for the sake of an unnecessarily massive world. No use having a massive but unpopulated world - and that's whats been the problem with most of the console Zeldas.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by unpopulated world.... I've only played windwaker on the gc...and the sea travelling parts seemed pretty lifeless. But I would call that barren more than anything....

so it your issue that there aren't bustling cities full of fully interactive individuals, or that areas of wilderness don't have anything but grass and trees?

The short clip we have seen seemed to have a goat herder wandering through that field (wonder if he got zapped :P) but those kind of details could be promising...