NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I really wouldn't worry, the hype for its reveal at E3 is going to be HUGE. I'm not a fan of their competition announcing and drip feeding info about games for years before release. I'd much rather take the shorter reveal > release window that Nintendo have been doing recently.

They timed the hype for Mario 3D World perfectly, announced six months before release with an ok trailer, than wow-ed everyone with their second one a couple of months before release.

Yeah, I imagine that they'll show loads of it at E3. Which is fine, but...

The problem is, it HAS been announced and drip fed over a long time - the problem is the drops have been so tiny it just leaves us all frustrated! We first saw footage from this game in June 2014. The previous console Zelda was in November 2011. I don't think it's wrong to have expected to have seen more by now!

I agree with all of this. It does feel like we've known about this game for a long time yet know very little about it. It doesn't really follow the same model that you mentioned for Mario 3D.

I, for one, am not hyped. Not a single bit. No information just makes me not interested and even 1 hour before the conference (if they have one) the hype won't arrive.

Something similar happened with No Man's Sky...after its release date has been announced we haven't heard anything new...and my hype is gone.

We need information.

I, for one, am not hyped. Not a single bit. No information just makes me not interested and even 1 hour before the conference (if they have one) the hype won't arrive.

Something similar happened with No Man's Sky...after its release date has been announced we haven't heard anything new...and my hype is gone.

We need information.

No Man's Sky is a very different situation. They actually gave us everything we wanted in terms of videos and information, advertised the fucking thing, got tons of previews of it and then told us to piss off until next summer.

Oh no, I'm not bitter. :awesome:

I agree with all of this. It does feel like we've known about this game for a long time yet know very little about it. It doesn't really follow the same model that you mentioned for Mario 3D.

In fairness I think Ronnie was saying he preferred the Mario 3D model and wasn't saying Zelda was following the same model.

How many people on here would be annoyed/bothered if Zelda U ended up as a NX exclusive? I don't want to discuss whether or not this would happen but rather, if it did happen, would you be annoyed by it?

Personally, I wouldn't be fussed, just as long as the game is good. I'll be getting a NX whenever it arrives so I would get to play it anyway.

Yeah I get the impression no one would care, I wouldn't, though I could understand why people would. The only deciding thing for me would be how does it impact the quality of the game either porting it to NX or keeping it on Wii U. Ultimately, I just want an incredible Zelda game, not fussed what I play it on.

As for reveal, i think they had a strategy with the intention to blow it out last e3, but the delay kind of stopped that so it's been a longer process than they would've wanted. Whether riots retooling or moving to NX (probably both) but I think there's a good reason we haven't heard anything in ages, basically they didn't want to go too soon, but it ended up happening, however, the fact we know so little makes it even more exciting for me, if we knew loads and loads I think the hype could die down and it'd be hard to build its back up. But pretty much any reveal would be huge huge news and everyone will cream their pants again.

In fairness I think Ronnie was saying he preferred the Mario 3D model and wasn't saying Zelda was following the same model.

Fair enough, I probably wasn't paying enough attention when quoting posts and reading them. (banging headache)

...How many people on here would be annoyed/bothered if Zelda U ended up as a NX exclusive? I don't want to discuss whether or not this would happen but rather, if it did happen, would you be annoyed by it?

Personally, I wouldn't be fussed, just as long as the game is good. I'll be getting a NX whenever it arrives so I would get to play it anyway.

It depends. If NX has no Party Chat I'll not be buying it so I'll be majorly pissed off.

If it has Party Chat I'll not mind as I'll get it.

I look forward to the release of "The Legend Of Zelda: Party Chat" on the new Nintendo Party Chat console this November. I'm so happy that Nintendo are funnelling all of their resources into finally creating a games console that is all about the Party Chat, it really is the only important aspect of modern video games. I can't wait to pay £400 to chat to my friends. I'm really glad that they won't be focusing on creating fun gaming experiences and just let us talk to our friends, why would anyone use a games console for anything else?

Party Chat.

(From TP Thread to stay on-topic)

In what way? In all likelihood they are definitely going for a dual release. But I still don't think Wii U owners/Zelda fans will moan/boycott about that.

A classical explenation for why the Dreamcast failed was that Sega pulled the plug on the Saturn prematurely and neither developers nor customers felt they'd gotten a return on their investment.

What's come out on the Wii U so far has been quite underwhelming and really, the one thing many fans have been looking forward to for a long time is Zelda U. Really, that game, as well as Smash, seem to be the only Nintendo games that have evolved as much as they should.

Dual release is a fair compromise, but only if the NX version receives a considerable visual update. To be honest, I feel Zelda U should follow in the footsteps of GTAV or The Last of Us and get released on the U first and then receive a massive overhaul for NX at least a year later.

Canning it for the Wii U altogether will be perceived as a quite rotten business practice. Many people I know were fed up after the Wii and decided to wait to purchase a U until good games were out. Virtually everyone I know who bought a Wii U feels that way about the NX. Really, Nintendo need to do their absolute darndest to not piss off the few fans they have even further.

Edited by Hogge

I look forward to the release of "The Legend Of Zelda: Party Chat" on the new Nintendo Party Chat console this November. I'm so happy that Nintendo are funnelling all of their resources into finally creating a games console that is all about the Party Chat, it really is the only important aspect of modern video games. I can't wait to pay £400 to chat to my friends. I'm really glad that they won't be focusing on creating fun gaming experiences and just let us talk to our friends, why would anyone use a games console for anything else?

Party Chat.

Someone has rattled your cage.

I look forward to the release of "The Legend Of Zelda: Party Chat" on the new Nintendo Party Chat console this November.

If it has Party Chat @kav82 will buy it. But if it doesn't he won't.

:heh:

Except in Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda: Party Chat, due out Summer 2016, it's Link's birthday and his grandma has invited his friends over to sit around the table, open some Amiibo, and partake in light hearted discussion.

Edited by Retro_Link

Actually I think I would like to play: The Legend Of Zelda: Party Chat (edition)

In my mind this is a version of the single player that you play online at the same time as your mate. In the top left of your screen you get a video of what they are doing at the same time and you have voice chat to talk about what's happening (and perhaps lend items or hearts one way or the other).

In this way it would emulate playing games in your room as younger children that you can't so easily do now that the real world has put distance between you.

Actually I think I would like to play: The Legend Of Zelda: Party Chat (edition)

In my mind this is a version of the single player that you play online at the same time as your mate. In the top left of your screen you get a video of what they are doing at the same time and you have voice chat to talk about what's happening (and perhaps lend items or hearts one way or the other).

In this way it would emulate playing games in your room as younger children that you can't so easily do now that the real world has put distance between you.

Woah woah woah, let's not be hasty!...

The Legend of Zelda: Video Chat isn't scheduled until Death Mountain freezes over.

Though a game like Link's Crossbow Training I can see as having Party Chat - In fact Nintendoland 2 with online show-casing the chat features of the system would make a great launch title.

A classical explenation for why the Dreamcast failed was that Sega pulled the plug on the Saturn prematurely and neither developers nor customers felt they'd gotten a return on their investment.

What's come out on the Wii U so far has been quite underwhelming and really, the one thing many fans have been looking forward to for a long time is Zelda U. Really, that game, as well as Smash, seem to be the only Nintendo games that have evolved as much as they should.

Dual release is a fair compromise, but only if the NX version receives a considerable visual update. To be honest, I feel Zelda U should follow in the footsteps of GTAV or The Last of Us and get released on the U first and then receive a massive overhaul for NX at least a year later.

Canning it for the Wii U altogether will be perceived as a quite rotten business practice. Many people I know were fed up after the Wii and decided to wait to purchase a U until good games were out. Virtually everyone I know who bought a Wii U feels that way about the NX. Really, Nintendo need to do their absolute darndest to not piss off the few fans they have even further.

But was that entirely how the Dreamcast died though? My belief is that the Dreamcast came out too soon before its time and developers weren't really ready for the '128mb gen'. I get the impression Sega fans still bought the console regardless of squashing the Saturn to soon, myself included.

I like your GTAV idea.

But was that entirely how the Dreamcast died though? My belief is that the Dreamcast came out too soon before its time and developers weren't really ready for the '128mb gen'. I get the impression Sega fans still bought the console regardless of squashing the Saturn to soon, myself included.

I like your GTAV idea.

I'll reply to this in the NX thread.

Nintendolife and Eurogamer recently did a best Zelda game poll. Interested to see what the results would look like if N-Europe did something similar.

Nintendolife and Eurogamer recently did a best Zelda game poll. Interested to see what the results would look like if N-Europe did something similar.

Or a top 5 Zelda games of each poster, that'd be interesting too if you averaged it all out.

Or a top 5 Zelda games of each poster, that'd be interesting too if you averaged it all out.

Would be a great idea for the next NES :)

It's very true, there's always such potential for a Zelda sequel game. Skyward Sword's could have told the story of reclaiming the land below from further darkness, And I think we all dreamt of a Wind Waker sequel where you sail off and discover what will become New Hyrule (on consoles, and not compromised on 3DS with horrendous visuals).

Inspired by this idea, discovering a would-be Hyrule - I was thinking of a Zelda game incorporating a Sim-City like side-game, where Link becomes something of a mayor and builds Hyrule Town and the sort of businesses/townfolk who flourish there.

(or maybe even a Harvest Moon type Lon Lon Ranch segment, where you take time off from the adventure and raise crops, breed horses with different abilities etc - maybe this also introducing changing seasons to Zelda)

Something like what Motherbase is in MGS5.

I would like a Zelda to have something more than a simple collect quest with unimpressive rewards.

I remember replaying OOT from that final save point in Ganondorf's Castle over and over and being kind of disappointed by how one-dimensional such a great game was - as in no post-game continuation. (who else was waiting after 'The End' for something more to happen??) Would like to see some sort of evolution from this.

Edited by King_V

I remember replaying OOT from that final save point in Ganondorf's Castle over and over and being kind of disappointed by how one-dimensional such a great game was - as in no post-game continuation. (who else was waiting after 'The End' for something more to happen??) Would like to see some sort of evolution from this.

For me, I say nope. I think the end of OoT is one of the few good computer game endings. Link gets reverted back to his original age (SPOILERZ!) and is essentially given the chance to go explore and enjoy his childhood in the now-peaceful Hyrule. A childhood which had to be stolen from him to complete his quest.

It was almost like Nintendo saying: Well done! You've complete OoT... Now go play outside and have some real adventures.

For me, I say nope. I think the end of OoT is one of the few good computer game endings. Link gets reverted back to his original age (SPOILERZ!) and is essentially given the chance to go explore and enjoy his childhood in the now-peaceful Hyrule. A childhood which had to be stolen from him to complete his quest.

Well, personally I agree with King V.

I know it'd be a bit too much to ask, but I would've loved to explore Hyrule post-Ganondorf. People moving back to castle town and rebuilding, conversating with people about their hopes for the future and hearing them actually be thankful.

Or at least Link getting SOMETHING out of it. Logically, Link is sent back to BEFORE Ganondorf was defeated. Meaning he has to see all the terrible things Ganondorf does. For all we know, Ganondorf tracks him down and kills him during the 7 years he originally was asleep. Maybe that's why we don't see a second Link when you play as an adult.

As is now, Zelda pretty much goes "Thanks for being useful and risking your life to single handedly save the world. Nope, no ceremony, no reward, just piss off and go back to square one, have a completely average, dull life. Good luck with your PTSD"

Well, personally I agree with King V.

I know it'd be a bit too much to ask, but I would've loved to explore Hyrule post-Ganondorf. People moving back to castle town and rebuilding, conversating with people about their hopes for the future and hearing them actually be thankful.

Or at least Link getting SOMETHING out of it. Logically, Link is sent back to BEFORE Ganondorf was defeated. Meaning he has to see all the terrible things Ganondorf does. For all we know, Ganondorf tracks him down and kills him during the 7 years he originally was asleep. Maybe that's why we don't see a second Link when you play as an adult.

As is now, Zelda pretty much goes "Thanks for being useful and risking your life to single handedly save the world. Nope, no ceremony, no reward, just piss off and go back to square one, have a completely average, dull life. Good luck with your PTSD"

Pretty sure Ganondorf being sealed away exists in the new timeline, else there'd be no point to the game and the world would still be fucked. Link is sent back in time to when he was a kid but Ganny is still sealed up.

It was explained in the Hyrule Historia that after Link returned back to the normal timeline he tells Zelda what happens (which is what we see at the end of the game), Ganondorf is arrested by the King of Hyrule and put on trial which leads to Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess did a bad job of explaining this.