NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

I think more people would like Tingle if he somehow was remodelled a bit after Robin Williams, maybe even voiced by him. A sort of quirky Mork flare added to Tingle. I mean, that obviously can't happen now, but still it'd been cool.

As if Tingle wasn't creepy enough!

Robin is a good fit/name for a Zelda character.

Shame he's busy tipping the scales in Fire Emblem.

It'd be nice if the sort of mentor character that you meet right at the start, who kinda runs you through the "tutorial" parts, was named Robin. With a few nudges in the script to a few of his famous roles. Someone start a petition!

It'd be nice if the sort of mentor character that you meet right at the start, who kinda runs you through the "tutorial" parts, was named Robin. With a few nudges in the script to a few of his famous roles. Someone start a petition!

You mean something like this?

It's doing really well, 60,000+ signatures and counting. I hope they listen but Nintendo very often ignore petitions.

EVERYONE ignores online petitions, give or take a few, not just Nintendo.

I'd rather Nintendo not do anything for now, then contact his children after enough time has passed and ask what they want.

I'd rather Nintendo not do anything for now, then contact his children after enough time has passed and ask what they want.

That would be a very respectable thing to do. I imagine his daughter would be happy to allow Nintendo to include him in the game in some sort of forum. A character named after him or a location or some sort of nod, it doesn't even have to be a big thing.

Putting my tin foil hat on, and I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but can I ask what Mr Williams has done to deserve being honoured in a future game? I appreciate he was a celebrity Zelda fan, but why does he get preferential treatment over any other Zelda fans who have passed away? I'm not against the idea at all, far from it, I'm just struggling with whether it's the right thing to do or not.

Well he was famous, he named his by-association-famous daughter after the series, thus garnering a little attention to it. They also did a few adds for Nintendo a while back didn't they? Advertising Spirit Tracks or one of the other DS Zeldas?

He gave a teensy nod to Nintendo in the public domain, it'd be cool for them to do the same, is all.

Putting my tin foil hat on, and I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but can I ask what Mr Williams has done to deserve being honoured in a future game? I appreciate he was a celebrity Zelda fan, but why does he get preferential treatment over any other Zelda fans who have passed away? I'm not against the idea at all, far from it, I'm just struggling with whether it's the right thing to do or not.

Why the tin foil hat? There are no UFOs that we're hiding here or any conspiracy theories flying about. ;)

Nobody is really saying that he has to be in the game, but merely suggesting it would be a nice way to remember the man. He's been a lifetime advocate for video games and Nintendo, regularly discussing this in the media and interviews. It may not seem like much, but that alone raises the profile of this form of media and entertainment, showing that even somebody who was famous, busy, older than your average gamer still loved to play Ninteno games. The guy was a diehard, played games for decades and even named his daughter after the original Zelda. He's starred in Nintendo advertisements/commercials and his daughter was at the Zelda concert on stage in London, so he and his family are well known to Nintendo fans. I'm struggling to think of a more well-known/famous Nintendo junkie, he's a bit of a rare breed in that respect.

It's not a big deal if he's not in it, but something as simple as having an NPC with the name "Robin" would mean a lot to his family and also to the thousands/millions of gamers who are also fans of his work.

They also did a few adds for Nintendo a while back didn't they? Advertising Spirit Tracks or one of the other DS Zeldas?

Did they not get paid for this? Should all people who act in Nintendo ads be given a mention in a future game? As for being "famous", I just don't see that as a good reason.

*reads @Fierce_LiNk's post*

Ok fair enough, you make a strong argument. I was never against having an NPC named Robin, FAR from it, I just wasn't sure he would have deserved it over other die hard fans :)

I guess in my post I didn't explictly state the "He was a massive Nintendo nerd", kinda thought that was implied by his daughters name :p

They also did a few adds for Nintendo a while back didn't they? Advertising Spirit Tracks or one of the other DS Zeldas?

I believe it was Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword.

I remember the Skyward Sword ads as Robin was using the remote/nunchuk like a bow when you didn't actually need to hold it like that. It totally disappointed me when I found out you didn't have to.

I believe it was Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword.

I remember the Skyward Sword ads as Robin was using the remote/nunchuk like a bow when you didn't actually need to hold it like that. It totally disappointed me when I found out you didn't have to.

Also:

"Robin Williams was loved at Nintendo." offered a Nintendo spokesperson. "Our hearts go out to his entire family, and especially to Zelda Williams who we've worked with multiple times.

"We appreciate the outpouring of support from the gaming community, and hear the request of fans to honor him in a future game. We will not be discussing what might be possible for future games during this difficult time, but we will hold our memories of Robin close."

https://games.yahoo.com/news/nintendo-responds-petition-robin-williams-051127322.html

So you're telling me there's a chance!

there-s-a-chance-dumb-and-dumb_o_GIFSoupcom.gif

"Robin Williams was loved at Nintendo." offered a Nintendo spokesperson. "Our hearts go out to his entire family, and especially to Zelda Williams who we've worked with multiple times.

"We appreciate the outpouring of support from the gaming community, and hear the request of fans to honor him in a future game. We will not be discussing what might be possible for future games during this difficult time, but we will hold our memories of Robin close."

If anything this shows how ignorant Nintendo are of the outside world - is there any reason it's taken them nearly a week to acknowledge his passing? In the time it's taken Nintendo to push Little Miss PR out of the door, Apple put up a tribute on their homepage, World of Warcraft put a character in-game. Robin, to be fair, was more affiliated with Zelda then Apple or WoW or any of the other games he loved to play - and it didn't occur to them to at least put something up earlier?

Or it shows that Nintendo don't like to cash in on stuff like this. I'd rather they do a small tribute at a later time without making a fuss than a heartless PR stunt like Blizzard.

Or it shows that Nintendo don't like to cash in on stuff like this. I'd rather they do a small tribute at a later time without making a fuss than a heartless PR stunt like Blizzard.

How is Blizzard cashing in? Or Apple? They're simply a mark of respect at an appropriate time - a week late is, quite simply, too late. Had they have released that statement within a couple of days, fine but it clearly didn't even register with them.

You are right that no one wants to see anything like Zelda: Robin Williams Edition but a small nod to him in game, a minor character or whatever, seems a very appropriate tribute.

They didn't release a statement, a spokesman provided a response to a media question. It's not like they've only just decided to post something on Facebook/issue a press release. They chose not to speak out on his death, and probably answered as they did rather than offer no comment as they customarily do because that WOULD look disrespectful.

How is Blizzard cashing in? Or Apple? They're simply a mark of respect at an appropriate time - a week late is, quite simply, too late.

A mark of respect doesn't require a public statement. Cashing in and getting your brand in the public eye by linking it to a popular topical news story, such as say the death of a highly esteemed and positively perceived celebrity, does.

Cheap too, getting him to star in an advert would have cost them money and had less impact while he was alive. Now he is dead they can get increased audience size and impact for just the cost of a callous, disrespectful PR team.

I do agree, if they had waited longer than a few days the impact of the publicity stunt would have been much less effective. But respect had nothing to do with it.

Do you guys honestly think that Blizzard are cashing in on his death? That level of cynicism among you is actually pretty depressing. It's a bit sad that people are defaulting to this point of view. =/

I see it as paying tribute to someone who a lot of people held dear. I really don't see how paying tribute to RW is going to translate to profit. I mean, do you guys actually have evidence of that being the case?