NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Watched clip. Well, that confirms it in my mind. They're doing the whole opposite to Skyward Sword, moving from sky to underground. There's an ancient Hyrule/civilisation waking up that is below the current Hyrule, and the game will feature many underground areas/dungeons as well as the vast over-world (it'll also serve as the contrast sky/ground, light/dark, past/future, seasons, and in this case underground, overground).

The bow if you look at it is clearly tech Link found that has been patched together with some cloth bandage (surprised this wasn't mentioned...) Link will no doubt find other updated ancient tech versions of his usual gadgets.

I thought this was supposed to be a Tech Demo from the beginning? Like what happened with this:

ZeldaWiiU.gif

You are correct. It was always a tech demo

Watched clip. Well, that confirms it in my mind. They're doing the whole opposite to Skyward Sword, moving from sky to underground. There's an ancient Hyrule/civilisation waking up that is below the current Hyrule, and the game will feature many underground areas/dungeons as well as the vast over-world (it'll also serve as the contrast sky/ground, light/dark, past/future, seasons, and in this case underground, overground).

The bow if you look at it is clearly tech Link found that has been patched together with some cloth bandage (surprised this wasn't mentioned...) Link will no doubt find other updated ancient tech versions of his usual gadgets.

I'm curious what part of the trailer confirmed the presence of an underground world to explore to you?

I can't imagine they'd spend all this time and effort on an overworld, making it such a vast beautiful place to explore, and then also have a second land underground. They should just focus on the one and make it the best they possibly can.

I wonder if they used the Windwaker map as a basis? and how do they define the edge of the game world, once you reach those mountains, surely you would see further again

will this be a huge island?

I'm curious how they will create a boundary, and surely there must be a boundary, unless they have created a whole globe! :D

I'm curious what part of the trailer confirmed the presence of an underground world to explore to you?

I can't imagine they'd spend all this time and effort on an overworld, making it such a vast beautiful place to explore, and then also have a second land underground. They should just focus on the one and make it the best they possibly can.

The thing with ruins, the fact that the enemy reeks of "ancient tech" and is clearly and pointed out to have been buried long enough for moss, grass and other stuff to grow on it. As for, "they wouldn't create that beautiful place to explore and then have a second land underground". Of course they would. They do two lands a big portion of Zelda games. Having a second area to explore wouldn't detract from the over-world, just add to it. Being more clear, I don't see the underworld as everywhere, just at clear points that have big landmarks on them. For instance, the village, and that huge honking pyramid temple in the distance. Possibly under the big ass lake, too. Probably Hyrule castle, as well.

I dont know if anybody has said this but parts of the cloak that link removes looks like the cloak midna is wearing at the end of twilight princess, also the guntlets shes wearing have a similar pattern to the tech of the arrow head.

I wonder if they used the Windwaker map as a basis? and how do they define the edge of the game world, once you reach those mountains, surely you would see further again

I'm curious how they will create a boundary, and surely there must be a boundary, unless they have created a whole globe! :D

At the moment, my hunch is that the views in this game are rather fixed, and the things you can see at the back of the field scene are definitely the edges. For example, the two highest bits - Death Mountain and the "Ravine" - I suspect you will be able to climb them, but not be able to climb down the other side (maybe too steep).

Another thing that interests me is whether you'll be able to see that main field view from the opposite angle. Everything suggests that it's the starting village/area (farming activity etc), and so I can't imagine there's anything major that is closer to the player (so to speak).

You realise there's dozens of games that have solved this problem before right? :p When Skyrim was revealed at E3, they literally made the exact is identical statement "you can reach those mountains in the distance." That doesn't mean it's the edge of the map, or even that you can actually get right over the mountains.

You realise there's dozens of games that have solved this problem before right? :p When Skyrim was revealed at E3, they literally made the exact is identical statement "you can reach those mountains in the distance." That doesn't mean it's the edge of the map, or even that you can actually get right over the mountains.

To quote my brother's reaction to the new trailer...

So... Zelda Scrolls then?

It's basically true at this point. :heh:

Will be nice to see how it turns out though.

: peace:

Backgroundloz.jpg

;)

Just LOVELY!

Copycat.

Screenshot%202014-06-10%20at%2021.59.27.png

;)

Since the design of this is being influenced by the original and the dungeons were refereed to as "underworlds" in the first game, I'd say it's a pretty safe

bet that is where the bulk of the dungeons could take place. Of course I'm hoping for great big towers and such to explore as well but it's a possibility I suppose.

of course, I'm just wandering what method they'll be using. Games always have walls, I guess I'm just hoping they'll not have it feel too much like a cage. I always hated in sunshine for example, seeing the fairground across the water and being unable to cross.

I guess if the map is large enough it won't be a problem

More freedom with the story on its way?

Ben Lamoreux: Majora’s Mask has always been one of my favorite Zelda games and one of my favorite games overall. One of the things I liked about it is that more so than any other Zelda game and a lot of the games at the time, your actions can directly influence the events of the story and change how the characters around you act. Can we see something like that return on a larger scale in Zelda Wii U or future Zelda titles?

Eiji Aonuma: The impact of the player character on the environment that has been, and really, having the player experience the impact, is something that is consistent through all versions of the Zelda games, but I want to continue to have players experience that and even build upon that experience. In traditional Zelda games there is kind of an order in which you do things. You can’t do 3 until you do 1 and 2 for example. But with the new Zelda game, I really want to open the opportunities up for the players to really make an impact on their environment and to give them a little more freedom to choose their path the story takes.

Sounds interesting.

Possibly Zelda related, Grezzo have posted on their site that they are looking to hire some people. They put this on their site.

"Would you like to make a Legend with us?"

Are they helping out with this? Is it Zelda related? Is Majoras Mask finally on its way? Watch its probably nothing to do with Zelda. :D

The impact of the player character on the environment that has been, and really, having the player experience the impact, is something that is consistent through all versions of the Zelda games

Yeah that's not what they asked...

It would be interesting if for example...

A few of the rivers in the over world are dried up due to a frozen temple. You could either do this temple first and restore the waterways to the overworld, however this might mean you miss a heart piece at a water mill that you can only access when there is no water leading to it. But if you restore the water and then find the mill, the owner of the mill sets you a different side quest in order to obtain the heart piece. Or maybe this time you have to defend the mill from enemies.

Things that just lead to multiple playthroughs and the like. Could be important to develop sidequests and NPC's in this way if the main story itself if a bit more open.

Edited by Retro_Link

This game is going to have a big impact on the future of the series. After this it will be hard to justify going back to small contained/segmented overworlds, so each title is going to have to outdo the last one, or come up with a justifiable way of doing it completely differently.

That might make a Majora's Mask re-release all the more likely as major releases will probably get further apart.

http://www.gametrailers.com/news-post/75941/zelda-series-producer-admits-skywards-tutorials-were-too-long-vows-not-to-do-that-again

Zelda Series Producer Admits Skyward's Tutorials Were Too Long, Vows "not to do that" Again

"I really felt the need to make sure that everyone playing the game understood it."

Recent 3D Zelda titles like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword opened up with a large amount of tutorials and introductions. The intros for those games may last hours before getting to the real part of Link's adventures. While they are set up to serve as help for the player, it more often provides a deterrent to play the game for some players.

Speaking with Kotaku, The Legend of Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma admits that the intros and tutorials can be viewed as an "obstacle" and that he plans not to do that again with the next Zelda game.

"When we created Skyward Sword, I really felt the need to make sure that everyone playing the game understood it," he said. "But I also understand now, in hindsight, that when you go out and buy a game, you buy the game because you want to play it, and you don't want to have any obstacles in the way. And I guess it was received as a bit of an obstacle.

"In a game, it's when you get stuck, when you want that help. And I kinda frontloaded all that in Skyward Sword, and it doesn't really help to get that information when you don't know what to do with it. So that was a real learning experience for me. So I'm going to be careful not to do that."

The latest entry in the series, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, provided optional hints through the use of Hint Ghosts found throughout Hyrule. People who need a hint can use Play Coins for advice.

It's understandable why they felt the need to do it in Skyward Sword, given the controls were so unique, but yeah, glad they're giving it a rethink.

I thought it was handled pretty well in Ocarina of Time, you basically learnt as you went along.

It's understandable why they felt the need to do it in Skyward Sword, given the controls were so unique, but yeah, glad they're giving it a rethink.

I thought it was handled pretty well in Ocarina of Time, you basically learnt as you went along.

OOT was perfect - thinking of the initial moments in Kokiri Forest, learning how to Z-target for example was very subtle (Fairy girl sitting above the shop) and also optional (The battling brothers house where you can slice their stumps).

And if I have to read "You got a Tumbleweed...." for the 400th time I will murder someone!! :mad:

Tutorials aren't really a problem if the gameplay and controls feel natural. For example, everything in Ocarina of Time was built upon Z-targeting (or L-targeting), moving and pressing some button or another. If Skyward Sword took too long to get going, then maybe the controls and some of the gameplay ideas just weren't very natural.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/23/will-the-legend-of-zelda-on-wii-u-introduce-multiplayer?abthid=53a8379fc90283d81800000d

Will The Legend of Zelda on Wii U Introduce Multiplayer?

According to a hint from legendary Zelda developer Eiji Aonuma, it just might.

Legendary Zelda developer Eiji Aonuma has said the next entry in the franchise will offer "more than just a single-player experience", leading to speculation multiplayer could soon appear in the franchise.

Speaking to Game Informer to promote the upcoming release of Hyrule Warriors, the video game veteran was asked whether the co-op gameplay in Dynasty Warriors' spin-off would be replicated in the next entry in the main series.

"The two-player functionality of Hyrule Warriors is actually something that has traditionally been done in the Dynasty Warriors series, but they’ve changed because of the hardware and the second screen on your GamePad," he said. "Instead of having a splitscreen on the television, you have one-player playing on the television and one on the GamePad.

"When I was talking back about making Zelda more than just a single-player experience? That’s something you will see in the future, maybe next year."

Though we only got our first look at the game at this year's E3, Aonuma revealed Nintendo's Wii U Zelda game during an online presentation back in January 2013. A tech demo for Zelda HD was shown when Nintendo unveiled Wii U at E3 2011.

Multiplayer seems unlikely, but something like Dark Souls where you can leave messages to players around the overworld seems perfect, to warn players they might not be ready for this part of the overworld/temple, or to leave them tips should they want to take it on.

Having said that, some sort of horseback battles/horse racing/archery multiplayer could be fun.

Edited by Retro_Link

Its certainly going to be a Dark Souls style thing, because they basically trialled it with Wind Waker

Multiplayer seems unlikely, but something like Dark Souls where you can leave messages to players around the overworld seems perfect, to warn players they might not be ready for this part of the overworld/temple, or to leave them tips should they want to take it on.

Having said that, some sort of horseback battles/horse racing/archery multiplayer could be fun.

When Nintendo says something like this they usually mean a shared experience, more than single player but not multiplayer. I see some sort of "mini dungeons" quest like those in Link Between Worlds, due to the supposed vast nature of the game. Possibly a set amount (hundreds) or some degree of randomly generated that you can share with other players online.

Aonuma talks the scale of Zelda Wii U, thinks of Kyoto as his base

As part of an interview with Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma, MMGN asked how big of an open world we can expect in the new Wii U game. Aonuma responded by saying that he uses Kyoto as his base.

Check out the conversation between the two below:

MMGN: This is the first truly open world in a Zelda game — you showed how Zelda has progressed since the NES in terms of map layout and movement — so in the biggest world yet, how “big” can we expect?

Mr. Aonuma: In terms of the scale of the new Zelda world on Wii U, I always think of Kyoto as my base.

Do you know Kyoto?

Ummm…a little [laughs]

MMGN also asked how the team plans to reward players for exploring the world of Zelda Wii U. Aonuma’s response was interesting, with him noting that it comes down to gaining “acquired experience” that helps you progress further and better reach your goals.

I guess the reward for exploring the world will be the acquired experience.

You always need to make a plan when you’re travelling, even in real life you need to decide if you’re going to drive or take the train, and the decisions you make impact your experience. You could start walking and realise you can’t get to a place by walking so you regret it and learn something, like realising there’s an obstacle that has to be overcome in a different way.

In the Zelda world, in the process of overcoming that obstacle, you’ll definitely acquire new experiences and sometimes new abilities. In the process of planning and executing to get to your goal, you’ll become more familiar with the terrain and you’ll acquire new abilities and new knowledge that will help you progress even further in the game, just like in real life.

I don’t want people to get hung up on the way Link looks because ultimately Link represents the player in the game. He’s a vehicle.

http://nintendoeverything.com/aonuma-talks-the-scale-of-zelda-wii-u-thinks-of-kyoto-as-his-base/#more-164727