NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Yoshi's Woolly World (June 26th)

Yeah, was about to say the same thing.

The only thing a Yoshi game should be directly compared to are other Yoshi games.

There's a lot of shooters out there, but that in no way should affect a review of a new one.

It's a poor reason to mark something down in a review.

Also, someone mentioned something about someone saying the "controls are too perfect"?

Can someone get me a quote or something? I can't believe this without some kind of context!

Fair enough (as Yoshi is quite a unique game, unlike, say, COD), but that's something else I was getting at - you don't judge the Yoshi game on its own merits, do you? You would be inclined to judge it based on whether it offers much new and exciting, in relation to the past games (like you rightly said).

So it's not a case of judging a game solely on its 'own merits'.

So you disagree with me, but then agree that actually we do have expectations as we judge them based on previous games in the series? :heh:

No I agree that games should be reviewed in part by looking back at previous installments.

We judge games all the time based on expectations. Splatoon lost some favour because people judged the game to be lacking in content (based on expectations of how much content we should receive for a new game). It also lost favour as people wanted voice chat (again, an expectation). This is not a dig by the way, as Splatoon sounds excellent, but I'm pointing out that expectations do affect reviews, and it's impossible to rule out (nor do I necessarily think it should be ruled out). You can bet the new Destiny DLC this September is also going to get a bad rap unless it's really amazing, because it costs the price of the full game. Again, we have an expectation of how much game we should get for that money.

If the next COD launched and there was no voice chat, well, people have come to expect that feature in FPS games and would voice their anger.

I think we're talking about two different things, the discussion was about professional reviews, not what the average gamer thinks of a game. Of course his expectations would come into it but a reviewer on IGN or Gamespot needs to judge a game on its own merits.

What is a joke? Did you not tell by the stupid closing tag? Yeesh :p

You've gone past the point of self-parody lately it's difficult to know.

the perfect controls made the game even more easy and more boring

Dear oh dear. Another reason to ignore Gamespot and their clickbait reviews.

Dear oh dear. Another reason to ignore Gamespot and their clickbait reviews.

Hmmm... Not how I would have worded that...

If Serebii's right (And I have no reason to disbelieve him), this seems like a poorly written review (OK, not review, poorly written sentence at least).

Good controls should never be a negative! Especially if it makes playing the game easier!

It's probably the most BS thing I've seen in a while. And this change gives the impression they were called out on it. And rightly so!

Fair enough (as Yoshi is quite a unique game, unlike, say, COD), but that's something else I was getting at - you don't judge the Yoshi game on its own merits, do you? You would be inclined to judge it based on whether it offers much new and exciting, in relation to the past games (like you rightly said).

Judging a game based on previous entries in the series =/= judging a game based on a person's expectations. The latter was your point, which is what we had an issue with.

I always try my best to do so. I mean, I will say "I enjoy this game more than that game" now and again.

The main difference is that I'm not a reviewer. Well, not professionally, definitely.

If I was getting paid to write a review, I'd go out of my way to not compare it to other games that happen to have the same genre.

Luckily, I don't have to do that, but I expect professional reviewers to do that.

And if those expectations arise from playing games in the previous series? e.g. expecting a game's formula to be shaken up after previously playing four or so earlier games in the series that all played an awful lot like it?

Those expectations don't come about just from playing other games in the same genre, but also games in the same series.

You've gone past the point of self-parody lately it's difficult to know.

I fail to see how.

And if those expectations arise from playing games in the previous series? e.g. expecting a game's formula to be shaken up after previously playing four or so earlier games in the series that all played an awful lot like it?

Those expectations don't come about just from playing other games in the same genre, but also games in the same series.

You've got a good point.

But I still maintain that just because there are a lot of 2D platformers out there, they shouldn't be a detriment to each other.

Especially if that game is well made. (Of course, I haven't played Wooly World, so I can't say for certain)

I fail to see how.

There was that whole Squenix conference causing the Direct to be naff line of thinking last week.

But I wasn't meaning anything negative by it anyway. Just a kind of "oh you" thing.

I always try my best to do so. I mean, I will say "I enjoy this game more than that game" now and again.

The main difference is that I'm not a reviewer. Well, not professionally, definitely.

If I was getting paid to write a review, I'd go out of my way to not compare it to other games that happen to have the same genre.

Luckily, I don't have to do that, but I expect professional reviewers to do that.

I don't think you should. Really a reviewer should say in their review how great the game would be for a newcomer or people who are not that familiar with a series, and how they should definitely check it out. That's pretty much the case for any title in the NSMB series.

But it would be silly to review every NSMB game as if it's the second coming loaded onto a cartridge. And the reason we don't review every single one as a masterpiece a la original Mario Bros is because it's not new and exciting anymore; every review is inherently meta. A game that stops innovating or offers less entertainment to people who have played the last 3 games or so should really be noted as such, I think. In Nintendo's case this is mostly down to comparing within series, but like I said, a lot of us do have expectations about features or gameplay that may have come about from other games and could actually apply to Nintendo, too (esp with regards to online).

Ultimately it's all an opinion piece of one person, but will be read by many different types of people. There are the people who don't get bored of the same content, and the people new to series. Then there are the people who have played it all before and can't be sustained on the same kind of content indefinitely. Ultimately it's up to their reviewer to get their points across well and suggest who the game might please most!

Edited by Sheikah

There was that whole Squenix conference causing the Direct to be naff line of thinking last week.

But I wasn't meaning anything negative by it anyway. Just a kind of "oh you" thing.

That was a hypothesis. It was not me saying it caused it to be "naff", but that it may have resulted in content being spread out over the two weeks leading up to the Digital Event. You inferred a meaning that didn't exist.

That was a hypothesis. It was not me saying it caused it to be "naff", but that it may have resulted in content being spread out over the two weeks leading up to the Digital Event. You inferred a meaning that didn't exist.

Dude, we're just chatting. I'm not trying to slight you. I never said you said it was naff.

Dude, we're just chatting. I'm not trying to slight you. I never said you said it was naff.

Eh? Yes you did

"the Direct to be naff line of thinking" is a separate phrase and a summary of the general feeling across the internet. You were commenting on that line of thinking, not the direct.

It wasn't clear, I will admit, but I assure you my intent was that you commented on the feeling by bringing up Squenix.

Can we go back to talk about how squishy Yoshi is?

The floor in the game is very squishy as well...

I digress. Just touching on the 2D plat former issue, I said in the review that the market on the U was saturated, had it in my minus column, but it didn't effect my score, because it should be judged on its own merits.

Those comments about the perfect controls and the guy wanting to be playing Witcher 3 are diabolical though, at this rate I could do it professionally! ;)

But we're talking about Gamespot so I guess they got what they wanted.

Didn't arrive today. Pity.

Meanwhile, I walked into my awesome independent game shop, asked "Yo, youse got Woolly World, gangsta?" And he was all like "Check it, fo shizzle". Paid forty G's and moonwalked out of there.*

*Conversation may appear more street than how it actually happened.

Also, £40000 is a lot of money for such a short game. I'd wager Serebii paid a bit less when buying it online.

Also, £40000 is a lot of money for such a short game. I'd wager Serebii paid a bit less when buying it online.

You do realise me being more street-lingo than anyone else is a sign of the apocalypse, right?

Quot+hi+son+i+m+grounded+quot+_6512e9ae46b757145d2875600bbd2933.gif

You've seen it here first. Dr. Bob is to blame for everything bad that happens from now on.

If you only you were more gangsta, like Yoshi, you could have saved us all.

Gangsta_Yoshi__Request_by_Komare3232.jpg

Look what arrived! :love:

20150624_140738_zpscf435b72.jpg

Nice!

I ordered the same bundle. Fingers crossed that mine has arrived as well.

Gah! I keep seeing everyone's yarn Yoshi's on here and Instagram and Twitter , here's no escape! Mine hasn't turned up so its too late now, hopefully tomorrow!