NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore (16th Jan)

Cheers for the review @Nicktendo. (And thanks to @Ike for the title change).

All of the reviews are looking good. Weird that thus far NintendoLifes one is the lowest score.

Getting more hyped now. A new Wii U game is a rare thing this year. A generally well reviewed one is even rarer!

This is getting some pretty good reviews. I might have to nab myself a copy after all!

Put just over an hour into this last night and i've enjoyed what i've played so far. The game is very stylish and VERY Japanese. :D The battle system seems simple enough at the moment and I quite like how the Sessions attacks work.

I have a negative about the game and it's that there is no off-tv support. This is a major bummer for me as I like to grind in JRPGs and usually do it while watching TV. I suppose I could just listen to a podcast or some music while i'm doing it. I know Greg from RFN won't be happy with this as he likes to play RPGs just on the gamepad.

Thanks for the impressions.

The lack of off tv play is a bit of a bummer on this one. I may set up the ipad for football/grinding sessions.

I had no interest in this game whatsoever, not a big fan of RPGs but I'm somewhat drawn to it... If I don't really like RPGs (but open to getting into one) is there enough 'other stuff' that could engage me?

Ah good, my copy has been dispatched. I've got a long weekend this week so it'll be nice to have something new to play.

My order from the Nintendo store hasn't arrived, think this is the first time a order hasn't arrived early. Debating double dipping and getting it on the eShop.

My special edition arrived yesterday.

IMG_2760_zps80pypp4t.jpg

I'll be selling this spare copy on ebay tomorrow morning but figured I would offer it on here first. £25 free P&P.

I'll take you up on that @Hero\-of\-Time :)

No probs. Just PM your name and address and I'll get it sent off tomorrow morning.

My special edition came yesterday, and I have played about an hour. The time it takes to complete the prologue.

I love how japanese and crazy the game is, and the combat seems fun. You get quite a few moves just from the prologue section of the game which makes playing it at the start seem a lot less fixed and dull than other RPGs can have.

Just finished the prologue. Liking it so far, definitely getting a strong Persona vibe from it. I think its just a shame that they didnt give us English voices.

I also reached the end of the prologue last night, and I've loved literally every single second I've played so far!

(Though I guess that was to be expected considering I'm prooobably one of the world's biggest fans of this game - even before I started playing, haha...)

Even just pressing Debut (love it) on the main menu had me shaking with excitement... I don't think I've ever felt that way about starting a game before.

Also, the launch trailer is awesome.

Only beat the prologue and played a bit of the first chapter but really enjoying the game so far. That menu screen is brilliant.

Which one? The pause menu with them all relaxing in the field or the battle menu? I love both.

I also love the fact that there are no english voices. Brings me back to my youth of importing japanese super famicom games (not that there was too much speech then, but still).

Its a shame that they could not have figured out a way for offscreen play to work.

Just finished Chapter 3 myself. Loving the game, it's so stupid and Japanese, it puts a big smile on my face.

Chrom really got depressed and moody after not getting the Smash Bros gig, huh?

Which one? The pause menu with them all relaxing in the field or the battle menu? I love both.

I also love the fact that there are no english voices. Brings me back to my youth of importing japanese super famicom games (not that there was too much speech then, but still).

Its a shame that they could not have figured out a way for offscreen play to work.

The pause menu and how it fills out over time. The game in general has a nice aesthetic.

Wish they subbed the battles quotes.

The pause menu and how it fills out over time. The game in general has a nice aesthetic.

Wish they subbed the battles quotes.

Yeah, it's a shame about that, I kinda want to know what the hell they're babbling about. I noticed that some characters say different things depending on the costume they're wearing and I feel like I'm missing out a bit.

Also, I'm completely convinced that Itsuki is basically Marth. Sure he's not actually Marth, but he's totally Marth. I mean, I'm pretty sure he actually quotes his Smash lines now and again!

Fans create mod that restores censored content for Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Fans have restored some of the content that got lost in translation when Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE made the journey from east to west, patching the Wii U JRPG in order to move it in line with its Japanese counterpart.

The patch - picked up by our friends at nintendolife - brings some of the character ages down from 18 to 17, as they were in the original Japanese release, as well as reverting some costumes back to bikinis and restoring some revealing female portraits in one of the dungeons. The full changelog is listed below.

Reverted costumes back to Bikinis, also changing the menu icons back and their original names and descriptions.

Completely redid Chapter 2 and a few other small files to return references to Gravure Modelling, this also uses the original voice files.

Fixed any map changes relating to pictures in dungeons that were changed.

Swapped the English files out for Japanese versions for retranslated files.

Healing points no longer come in envelopes.

Changed Profiles to reflect the character's real ages and change back references to Gravure Modeling.

Reverted any censored prerendered Cutscene files.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE came out in the west last week. It's a pretty splendid game, as Cassandra explained in her review, which was enough to convince me to dive in myself. Six hours in and I'm not regretting it all, if only for the incredible soundtrack.

If you wish to play the modded version, you can find instructions over here. It's worth noting there's a risk to your save file if you go ahead with the patch, but if you're super keen on getting those bikinis then go for it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-28-fans-create-mod-that-restores-censored-content-for-tokyo-mirage-sessions

Completed chapter 1 last night. I am liking the balance of difficulty quite a bit. I have had to go back to base from the dungeon to heal my EP gauge a few times from one dungeon and a couple of the bosses have killed me outright before I improved my strategy.

Those savage enemy encounters - do they come (in principle) from SMT or Persona (I have never played either series)? When should you fight them? They seem to OHKO each member of my team, each time I try them.

After seeing how well this game has reviewed, I'm disappointed that I opted to get Star Ocean 5 instead.