NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Xenoblade Chronicles X (4th Dec)

I'm really... not feeling it. :heh:

Yeah, it's far too early to pass judgment obviously, but my initial impressions of this game aren't too positive. :blank:

Firstly, the character creator is a joke. :nono:

As one of the very few people that actually likes the art style of this game, I was really looking forward to making my own character. But it's so limited it's unreal! The way various styles are tied to certain presets is unbelievably stupid and really restrictive. icon13.gif

Then there's the general lack of audio options. No Music/SFX volume control (criminal omission given how bad the vocals are), no 5.1 surround sound and worst of all, no option for the original Japanese voices! I've only played for a few hours, and Lyn's voice is already unbearable. :shakehead

The menus are convoluted to the extreme! Seriously, it's all over the shop. I remember the original Xenoblade being confusing, but X takes it to a whole new level. :laughing: It feels like you'd need a degree in order to learn how to properly understand this game. The online stuff does nothing but complicate it even further and some of the text size is so microscopic that I struggle to read it... on a 42 inch screen!! :o

This might all seem like trivial stuff (and it kinda is) but there are just so many examples that when you bring them all together, it really has a negative effect on the overall game. Well, it has for me at least.

There are obviously positives too, but at the moment they're just getting drowned out by everything else. :hmm:

I have already decided (because of my experience with xc), that I will spend the first 5-10 hours just learning everything, or if it's not possible, then every time I get something new I will take as much time as possible to learn about it. It seems it's the only way to fully use all options the game gives you.

Well, I'm about to dive in to my first proper play-session on this after only managing to create my character last night, will let you all know if I'm really feeling it - or not :heh: - in a little bit.

I am interested to know which options I should be picking for this multiplayer stuff though or indeed if it even matters, I'm more than willing to help people out on the game but if I'm faced with a load of options at a certain point in the game then I'll just take a lucky guess as I always viewed this as more of a single-player affair anyway; basically if the options are simple then I'm willing to pick the same options as everyone else if it helps out the N-E community. : peace:

But I'll need to know what those options are...

Well, I'm about to dive in to my first proper play-session on this after only managing to create my character last night, will let you all know if I'm really feeling it - or not :heh: - in a little bit.

I am interested to know which options I should be picking for this multiplayer stuff though or indeed if it even matters, I'm more than willing to help people out on the game but if I'm faced with a load of options at a certain point in the game then I'll just take a lucky guess as I always viewed this as more of a single-player affair anyway; basically if the options are simple then I'm willing to pick the same options as everyone else if it helps out the N-E community. : peace:

But I'll need to know what those options are...

I woldnt worry about what you pick for the multiplayer stuff too much, you get given the choice of six different sections you can work for but its so trivial to switch between them on a whim that it wont be an issue. That said i have played zero of the online stuff yet, spent 4 hours on yesterday and then Final Fantasy VII launched on PSN, soo many RPGS!!!

How's everyone finding the soundtrack? I remember reading a lot of people were unsure about it after all the gameplay videos earlier this year, but I think it's fucking amazing although I'm being a little biased here as I love Hiroyuki Sawano's work. Battles against tyrant are amazing with that song.

I started playing this Saturday morning and gave it another go this morning. As with all these JRPGs it is baffling. You would have to be king of the nerds to understand this game straight away, the level of depth and complexity is quite off putting - but I always feel that way about these games at the start.

The only thing bigger than the menu and options is the open world. I've never seen such an impressive and beautiful world in a game. It really is the most gorgeous experience.

I suggest that every one reads the manual first and then looks for a getting started guide - as it is very light on tutorials, which is a bad thing. A few hours of hand holding and in depth tutorials would not go amiss.

Also, it is very story light at the beginning, it's more in the vein of Fallout 3 in that it is your story, rather than the original Xenoblade Chronicles in which it was Shulk's story. In this sense those aching for an HD version of the Wii title will be disappointed.

The combat is quite satisfying as is exploration and finding new gear. I am looking forward to playing it more - but it's definitely not going to be for everyone, but possibly could have been if it was made more accessible.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

How's everyone finding the soundtrack? I remember reading a lot of people were unsure about it after all the gameplay videos earlier this year, but I think it's fucking amazing although I'm being a little biased here as I love Hiroyuki Sawano's work. Battles against tyrant are amazing with that song.

Sound track so far is amazing in my opinion. Love the battle themes.

I'd say it take my top spot away from Blue Dragon for soundtracks. I quite enjoyed that one as well with a couple horribly choices they had here and there.

Kinda overwhelming so far. I knew things wouldn't be explained well, so it helps the expectations a bit. Their text size is pretty horribly tiny though. Makes off screen gameplay nearly impossible

Enjoying this more than I thought I would

Though I wish there was some sort of cover mechanic. I was in a gun fight against three people and was just out in the open being chipped at

I do want to get a Skell though. Hope I don't have to wait too long.

I am loving the game and the soundtrack (especially on the rare moments when I am fighting a tyrant), but I wish I could figure out a better way to survive when the battle is not going well. I still cannot figure out how to get the healing thing to fire or to even get the chance more often, or even how to run away from a battle (other than plough off the nearest cliff). Probably should read the manual a bit more.

Not as many playing this as I thought there would be.

I am progressing slowly and loving it. Just about to go into the second continent, but the first still feels like a massive area of unknown places.

I am loving how dangerous it feels walking through the world - like you are genuinely exploring a new frontier and a creature could jump out of a bush and kill you at any point.

The amount of penalty for dying in this way is also very good - it punishes you by distance rather than losing any progress. Its annoying enough to make you want to avoid it, but does not actually cost you any progress.

Not as many playing this as I thought there would be.

I've been too busy with FFVII ( just finished it this morning). That, along with the meh reception most are giving it, haven't got me itching to start the game yet. I may just leave it for over Christmas.

Yeah it is that busy period again - everyone playing something else.

Bit of a shame as when the last game came along it felt like everyone on here was playing it at the time.

I loved the first game so much though that all other games were always going to be dropped when this came along. :)

Edited by peterl0
Automerged Doublepost

Bit of a shame as when the last game came along it felt like everyone on here was playing it at the time.

I loved the first game so much though that all other games were always going to be dropped when this came along.

We were. :D

Just goes to show how the Nintendo community has dropped off in this place. Either members have left or most of those who remain are off playing on other consoles. :heh:

I'll get back to it eventually but im back into FFVII now and then it'll be carrying on with Fallout 4. If the prologue had impressed me more I might have stuck with Xenoblade but unfortunately it didnt. Compared to FFVII which I thought I would play for a bit as I'd played it before and then ended up on it all Sunday.

I'll get back to it eventually but im back into FFVII now and then it'll be carrying on with Fallout 4. If the prologue had impressed me more I might have stuck with Xenoblade but unfortunately it didnt. Compared to FFVII which I thought I would play for a bit as I'd played it before and then ended up on it all Sunday.

Yeah, FFVII dug its claws deep into me as well. It's so well paced and very accessible. Too many JRPGs these days have far too much going on and you get stuff constantly thrown at you. Sounds like X also suffers from this.

It does have too much to throw at you, it really does. It also doubles down on the exploration of the world. If your not feeling that I can understand waiting.

(Although as someone who has hated FF7 every time I have tried to play it I don't understand that draw.)

I want to finish XC first, but that takes time, plus, my XCX hasn't arrived yet.

I want to finish XC first, but that takes time, plus, my XCX hasn't arrived yet.

Yeah based on that I had written you off until March next year. :heh:

We were. :D

Just goes to show how the Nintendo community has dropped off in this place. Either members have left or most of those who remain are off playing on other consoles. :heh:

I've just been overwhelmed (in a good way) by Witcher 3 that i'm not too fussed about playing another open world game just yet. Also the feedback about the game hasn't been brilliant.

I imagine its a good game for nintendo only gamers that haven't had the opportunity to play witcher, MGS V, Fallout etc. It'll be a newish experience!

Yeah based on that I had written you off until March next year. :heh:

Actually it could be longer as I am expecting to start working soon so probably even less time for gaming than now:D.

But I am about 30 hours in it, LVL 32, plus I have decided for some (5-6) side quests to take online guide to finish them quickly (I did 4 like that till now and for 2 of them I actually new the solution, wanted to do it, but because I was to tired as it was 2 in the morning, I decided to check first) so I can finish the game a bit faster. I know it will not really help a lot as only 2 quests are different, while the rest has to do only with the same guys giving me quest after quest.

I've just been overwhelmed (in a good way) by Witcher 3 that i'm not too fussed about playing another open world game just yet. Also the feedback about the game hasn't been brilliant.

I imagine its a good game for nintendo only gamers that haven't had the opportunity to play witcher, MGS V, Fallout etc. It'll be a newish experience!

Is Fallout 4 so much different? I have it downloaded but haven't tried it yet (I torrented it as I have to see if my PC can actually play it, before I buy it).

I have played number 3 and I did like it obviously, but I wouldn't sa it's better compared to Xenoblade Chronicles (not sure about XCX of course), it is just different.

Yeah it is that busy period again - everyone playing something else.

I loved the first game so much though that all other games were always going to be dropped when this came along. :)

I think as H-o-T mentions, many such as myself are getting a fix elsewhere. I'm torn on getting this right now or not considering the online aspects and actually enjoying them whilst everyone else is about and busy etc, but there's been a number of issues with the game for me that took a lot of wind out of the sales(I made a typo, but it's a worthy pun). Namely, the still arguably weak online functionality, the long time until its release, the size of it(storage wise, but I guess scope can come in too), and the somewhat mixed reception to it before release - though there's been good reports too which have got me tempted(as per a post earlier in the thread). I was more on a hype train for it off the back of the first/original XC, but as time went on it became clearer and clearer that it wouldn't quite match up - if it had come out sooner I might have still be riding that wave and snapped it up.

Whilst the game is not as good or ground breaking as the original seemed at the time, there is still a very good game in there, but it takes some finding.

The online, although not the co-op that I hoped for, might be the same but that is a bit baffling at the moment.

Whilst the game is not as good or ground breaking as the original seemed at the time, there is still a very good game in there, but it takes some finding.

The online, although not the co-op that I hoped for, might be the same but that is a bit baffling at the moment.

I think my concern is whether or not I would have the patience to stick with it to find the gems underneath, especially if I've got other options. Having said that, I am tempted, and may go for it at a good price/deal.

(Although as someone who has hated FF7 every time I have tried to play it I don't understand that draw.)

I can understand that, the opening segment in Midgar goes on bloody forever!

It does get a lot better once you get out though.

Anyway to answer your "I thought more people would be playing" statement.

I can't afford it right now. Paper Jam takes priority and I'm refusing to start a new game until I've finished my 50th game of 2015.

I'm about 27 hours in, work is such a killer knowing this is at home. Just finished chapter 5, on an affinity mission which is kicking my ass right at the end, I think I'm missing something obvious about defeating this many enemies..

Still going good, I absolutely love it.