NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Xenoblade Chronicles X (4th Dec)

I used Shulk for the whole game, except for the Lorithia(*) battle that @Hero\-of\-Time refers to. In that battle I switched Melia to main, which you can do to prevent grinding at that point. (The AI is too stupid to use Melia effectively enough in that fight.)

(* A battle about 90% through the main game.)

OK, thx, I am glad about it and don't spoil it for me anymore :D.

The battles become hectic, so I have no idea if the AI is good ir not, I don't know what they are using, especially as we beat the enemy every time, unless there is no chance at all (like some lvl 70 monsters) so I can't judge how effective they are.

Did you play the original game, Mike? That also had a couple of difficulty spikes, especially Lorithia.....man, I hated her with a passion.

Certainly did - the original's in my top ten of all time! For me, this bit's even worse than Lorithia.. I'm sure it won't be the same for everyone though - I think a lot of it depends on how well you understand the stats / augments systems.... which I admit are somewhat beyond me!

One great thing about X is how it will eventually ask if you want to lower the difficulty level. I've resisted with this battle before now, but I'm definitely on the cusp of caving in!

OK, thx, I am glad about it and don't spoil it for me anymore :D.

The battles become hectic, so I have no idea if the AI is good ir not, I don't know what they are using, especially as we beat the enemy every time, unless there is no chance at all (like some lvl 70 monsters) so I can't judge how effective they are.

Most of the time it doesn't matter that much what they do - unless you are attacking an enemy that needs a Stun->Break-Topple combo (which you must have seen at least one of by now. They were pretty good at that I found - and also healing.

@Mike - what about recruiting an Internet NPC - is there a reason that would not work?

Most of the time it doesn't matter that much what they do - unless you are attacking an enemy that needs a Stun->Break-Topple combo (which you must have seen at least one of by now. They were pretty good at that I found - and also healing.

@Mike - what about recruiting an Internet NPC - is there a reason that would not work?

It could help, but if your own character dies it counts down 30 seconds until a forced respawn - if the enemy isn't defeated in that time you have to do it again. Also, the mission may require certain party members, so recruiting someone may not be possible.

Yes, I have and Reyn is doing tople when needed most of the time, plus there is chain attack which helps.

It did indeed. I hope that when those difficulty spikes occur, grabbing an online NPC buddy at a higher level might help. Or doing some of the multi-player quests might make the grinding more palatable.

The director of this game and XC has some real blind spots when it comes to gameplay in terms of difficulty spikes and super rare random item drops. (Both it would seem, are back)

One thing in the game's defense imo was that you still got XP losing those tricky battles, so persevering was less annoying than being reset to a save at an exactly constantly level etc. Having said that I may have already over-levelled a bit before getting there, and whilst I definitely had some bloody difficult moments, could imagine it only being worse had I been a lower level.

My copy dropped through the letter box when i was at work but i have to do my balanced score card for work so probably wont get to play it until tomorrow...so sad right now T-T

The original Xenoblade Chronicles was very difficult for me in places but I was so engrossed in the characters, locations and story that I was determined to carry on.

To be honest, I'm not really feeling what I've seen of X as it doesn't seem as appealing in all of those aspects and I don't think I'd have the heart to go through it all. Probably gonna give it a miss :hmm:

My copy dropped through the letter box when i was at work but i have to do my balanced score card for work so probably wont get to play it until tomorrow...so sad right now T-T

I'm in a similar situation, I got my limited edition copy but I have vowed not to even unseal it until I've put up the latest edition of VC Weekly - which will be up on site tonight - and even then if I do load the game up it won't be for long, it will be "just to see" so maybe just making my character and playing up the the first major cutscene. :heh:

This game will take me ages to finish as I'll be playing other games as well, but that's OK as I don't mind it lasting me ages. : peace:

I'd be interested to know what options people have chosen in relation to the multiplayer stuff though, I'll probably go with whatever most people on N-E have chosen so I can contribute towards group objectives, quests etc so please do let me know N-E! :D

Played it for 3 hours last night and only really just got to the point of the game starting properly.

Enjoying it so far - it does not have the effect that the original had, in terms of blowing me away but that would have been a tall order.

Died more times than I was expecting to though by playing more aggressively than I should and not realising that if a large creature steps on you it can kill you.

:heh:

Just started playing the prologue. Obviously these are just my initial impressions and hopefully it'll get better but it just feels a bit old fashion and stilted. If someone told me this was a HD re-release of a PS2 game I would easily believe them.

I'm about twelve hours in and really liking it, the only thing I'm not so hot on is the fact I can't begin the next chapter until I finish my current affinity mission but my fucking probe isn't keen on mining the item I actually need and keeps shitting out mined materials. Only one more to go, so I'll probably level up a bit.

35 minutes to install the add-on content, that I already spent and hour and a half downloading the other day... :blank:

In fairness I knew it would take a while for the Wii U to install that amount of data for us with the game but still, I could be playing another game while that installs. :indeed:

Played a couple of hours but kept looking for the option to switch to Japanese VO only to find out there is none lol, ah well its hardly a deal breaker but would have been nice.

Just going to start playing again now, combat system is not what i expected but it isnt bad, im far too early in the story at this point to have a proper opinion.

Only spent a couple hours so far but am enjoying this, but I want to get out there and explore in a Skell :(

Just started playing the prologue. Obviously these are just my initial impressions and hopefully it'll get better but it just feels a bit old fashion and stilted. If someone told me this was a HD re-release of a PS2 game I would easily believe them.

While the motion in cutscenes of the human characters is a bit stilted, saying the game looks like an HD PS2 game is very disingenuous. Go look at PS2 games and then come back.

Only spent a couple hours so far but am enjoying this, but I want to get out there and explore in a Skell :(

While the motion in cutscenes of the human characters is a bit stilted, saying the game looks like an HD PS2 game is very disingenuous. Go look at PS2 games and then come back.

Yeah, he didn't actually say that. If we're going to suggest people do things, I suggest you read people's posts.

You're doing that thing again where you make up what people are saying...

Tempted to get this but I've got Wolfenstein, The Order, The Witcher 3, MGS5 and FFX still to play :blank:

FFS.

You're doing that thing again where you make up what people are saying...

Tempted to get this but I've got Wolfenstein, The Order, The Witcher 3, MGS5 and FFX still to play :blank:

FFS.

It was the last sentence he said, saying he would have accepted if someone said it as an HD remaster of a PS2 game ergo a PS2 game, to which I countered. I fail to see why I am being jumped on for calling him out on this.

Because you "called me out" on the fact that I said it looked like a PS2 game, which I didnt. The other part of my post talked about how it had an old fashioned feel to it....you know....maybe like a PS2 game but with better graphics. The funny thing is that I only put the HD bit of my post in there to make the point that it obviously did look better than a PS2 game.

I knew I stopped coming into thr Nintendo section of these boards for a good reason. Stupid me for thinking I could try and go back into a thread for a game I was playing and not have the same old crap happen straight away.

SO I bought Xenoblade and get a £10 discount if I buy XCX.. but knowing how big both games are I'm not sure it's worth buying both... I imagine once I finish xenoblade chronicles I'll be rpg'd out... and by the time I want to play an rpg again probably I'll be onto my next console : /

SO I bought Xenoblade and get a £10 discount if I buy XCX.. but knowing how big both games are I'm not sure it's worth buying both... I imagine once I finish xenoblade chronicles I'll be rpg'd out... and by the time I want to play an rpg again probably I'll be onto my next console : /

This is possible, especially if you play many sidequests. I am playing XC and when my copy of xcx arrives, I will only start it, but not play it as I have to finish XC first and it will take time and I am sure that I will take a break after XC, just don't know for how long.

To be complete fair to Happenstance, even if he was criticising the graphics of Xenoblade X, this game does have it's moments where it looks like complete and utter ass. I find this seems to be the case in NLA quite a lot. It honestly looks like a version of Phantasy Star Universe just marginally better than the PS2 version at those moments.

Plus, open world games look like ass most of the time any way, just chill Serebii.

Moving on, on chapter 5 after 22 hours as I've done a lot of exploring and now finally changed classes as I misunderstood the job system. Also kids, no spoilers, but get that mechanical skill up to level 3 ASAP. Then worry about biological or archeological.

Edited by Debug Mode

Does it bug anyone else that the spines on Nintendo Steelbooks are backwards when compared to other English spines?