NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Xenoblade Chronicles X (4th Dec)

This looks pretty juicy. Then again, I'm a sucker for big robots in any form.

This was the only saving grace for me of the Direct. Totally underwhelmed by everything else.

This was the only saving grace for me of the Direct. Totally underwhelmed by everything else.

Even Donkey Kong? Bitch, you crazy.

I want this game more than anything. Seriously. Anything. Anyttthing

i need it

square enix pls stop trying

I dunno man Final Fantasy 15 looks really good but that's probably because it was originally a spin off title :D

This game reminds me of Xenogears with the flying dolls but they're not as big as gears. Looking forward to this game anyhow but I'm more excited for FF15. The only way this could surpass FF15 is if it has British voice actors. "I'm right as Reyn!"

Where is the love for this game? This and Bayonetta 2 are the shining lights from the E3 Nintendo Direct and DKCR2 though it's not what I hoped Retro were working on. This is my most wanted game. Period. Only a Super Metroid style sequel could top this. That's how much I'm anticipating it and I know Monolith Soft won't let me down, they never have. They're like Retro in that regard.

Bayonetta (I think looks a bit of a visual mess) and this aren't really to my taste.

Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros though! Yes please!

Details:

Staff Details:

• X is an open-world role-playing game with a large-scale map that is meant to load seamlessly for players.
  • The game’s music is being composed by Hiroyuki Sawano, who has worked on Attack on Titan and Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn.
  • Character design is being headed by Kunihiko Tanaka, who did character concept artwork and design on Xenogears. The Xenogears team made up the core of Monolith soft after they left SquareSoft in the early 2000s.
  • Tetsuya Takahashi, while at Square, worked on games like Final Fantasy VI and VII as a designer and on Chrono Trigger as the graphics director. He is the co-founder and president of Monolith Soft. He worked extensively on the Xenogears and XenoSaga games, and on XenoBlade.

Game Details:

• Players will have the ability, at certain points in the game, to use mechs when fighting the game’s enemies. The human-shaped robots are about four times the size of a regular player and they can fly.
  • These mechs the players are able to use can change shape allowing them to become tanks and motorcycles.
  • The main character appears to be a dark-haired male, though there has been no word if the game will be more like Monster Hunter and allow players to customize his or her characters.
  • Weapons include rifles, machine guns, swords, shields that can be used to bash, and what appear to be over-sized rocket launchers. It looks like characters will have specialization to keep in mind and most likely a skills tree.
  • Appearing in the January trailer was a skilled attack list seen at the bottom of the screen showing a glimpse of the player’s abilities when fighting enemies.
  • As seen in the trailer, not all creatures in the game attack the player automatically. The giant dinosaur-like monsters seem to be docile in nature likely having resources for the player as an incentive to attack.
  • The game appears to have online multiplayer with the main character running alongside others with mechs making up some of the party. In one screenshot from the trailer, the main character has an actual name while the other party characters are listed at “Player One”, “Player Two”, and “Player Three”, which seems to suggest that there will be no other characters joining the player on his or her quest.
  • “By the way, the player will ride in human-shaped robots that appear in the trailer at certain points in the game,” Mr. Iwata said during the presentation. “They will even fly in the air and battle against enemies.”

Monolith Soft hiring for new people.

- currently recruiting planners and motion designers for their main studio in Tokyo

- Planner position marked as “urgent” and is split into three parts: Game Planner, Town Planner, and Battle Algorithm Planner

- all three planner positions require experience in their respective fields

- for Game Planner, Monolith Soft welcomes any developers with the additional experience of having made a game that requires networking

- Town Planners should have the ability to write scripts and programming knowledge

- Battle Algorithm Planners requires experience in writing enemy AI, putting together scripts

- Motion Designers are also listed as urgent

- Monolith Soft is looking for someone who can work on character motions during event and battle scenes

Wonder if it's for the development of X, especially that networking part. X looked like it will have networkplay os some kind.

Don't want to be negative, but I found that gameplay SO boring! (also why does the giant ape just sit there, oblivious?)

At least when I get a Wii U (possibly for Mario Kart) I'll be able to work my way back through the games, because X and Bayonetta probably aren't for me.

Yeah, in some ways it look impressive and exciting, but it was also a bit dull. They wanted to show us the combat... but it was a bit boring, a new exciting trailer would have done a much better job at getting people excited. I will say it looks a while off, some of the AI and animation was well ropey; easily 2015...

@Retro_Link Did you play Xenoblade? I thought the gameplay was really boring too until I tried it. It's brilliant.
I didn't play it no. RPG's really aren't my thing, but each time a big one comes along I will give it a look, I'm not completely against them.

Xenoblade looks amazing visually and this looks great too (although I wouldn't mind it being a bit more vibrant), but I think most likely I'd get bored with the combat, and possibly the length of the game too. Although at least the fighting is in real time and not turn based which is a plus! I'll definitely keep an eye on this, but yeah, not feeling it right now.

Edited by Retro_Link

I fast-forwarded past that X gameplay, so boring. The combat looked terrible. The game's not for me I don't think, similar to Monster Hunter and the usual RPGs.

Don't want to be negative, but I found that gameplay SO boring! (also why does the giant ape just sit there, oblivious?)

At least when I get a Wii U (possibly for Mario Kart) I'll be able to work my way back through the games, because X and Bayonetta probably aren't for me.

Glad I'm not the only one. It still shows promise, but I will definitely need a demo to sample the game play myself!

@Retro_Link That's what I thought about Xenoblade too, wasn't that interested when I saw the screens and so on. I'm not a fan of RPGs as they're usually awfully long-winded, have stupidly slow combat etc. Xenoblade is the exception though: it's more of an action rpg of sorts, because the combat is actually fun and real-time, and the whole game has so much polish and innovation that any "traditional" rpg feels awfully outdated in comparison. Even if you hate rpgs, I'd say give it a try. Total diamond of a game...

That trailer though, I can't imagine what X will be like without someone shouting 'it's Reyn time' while in battle with glorious music in the background. Character made Xenoblade for me, so at the moment the unfleshed out trailer is looking a little generic. Can't wait to see them make it something special though.

I'm also not a fan of the mech/robots in battle. It's all about characters being powerful for me...

@Retro_Link That's what I thought about Xenoblade too, wasn't that interested when I saw the screens and so on. I'm not a fan of RPGs as they're usually awfully long-winded, have stupidly slow combat etc. Xenoblade is the exception though: it's more of an action rpg of sorts, because the combat is actually fun and real-time, and the whole game has so much polish and innovation that any "traditional" rpg feels awfully outdated in comparison. Even if you hate rpgs, I'd say give it a try. Total diamond of a game...

I'm a bit of a JRPG nut but i've tried twice now to play through Xenoblade and I just can't get through it. It starts great but then it just gets bogged down. I also think it's too big for it's own good.

I actually enjoyed Baten Kaitos more than Xenoblade but that could just be because I actually finished BK. I'm also not a fan of action JRPGs and much prefer the old school turn based system.

I much prefer real time than turn based, I don't hate turn based. Can't wait for this game but no way is this coming out this year. Maybe Japan at a push, no not even there.

Just watching an IGN review of the Nintendo Direct and they said it is a 2014 game, but things change, ask Pikmin.

Yeah, I'd say 2015. Would take a grain of salt with Smash Bros coming out in 2014 as well...