NEurope
Retro_Link

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

I was expecting him to give this masterpiece of a game an 8, oh well.

8.8 on Metacritic so far

Geez people it's just a number....

You're talking to people who spend pages of the thread debating the choice box art... :p

You're talking to people who spend pages of the thread debating the choice box art... :p

I like the boxart. I think it's great.

It's a 'high' 8... :)

...but more importantly the review is great! :D

Thanks @Ashley for being honest... : peace:

...now everyone please, no more 'hate' or reasons to slate.

Wind Waker HD is a triumph, so put down the pitch-forks...

...the majority of us will still buy it of course! :p

And now to bed for me, for it is late... :zzz:

...I look forward to the next debate.

As it's just a few months...

...until Mario Kart 8! :rolleyes:

If the people who complain that the score awarded to a game they have not yet played is too low are to be frowned upon, then equally the people who complain that the score awarded to a game they have not yet played is too high should also be frowned upon!

In other words, if you haven't played the damn game and you are wishing for it to get a low score, you're just as pathetic (if not worse*) as those you criticise for hoping the game gets a high score.

*Actually, you're worse. Because the people wishing it a high score are people interested in the game who want it to turn out well. If you're busy wishing it a low score, you probably don't want the game, you just want it to be 'crap' to somehow prove a point against those who wanted it or those who made it!

BURN THE HEATHEN :p

Na, I can get why people would give it an 8. Besides, numbers are ridiculous. People should read the content of reviews rather than base it on an arbitrary number. This is why Kotaku and a few other places have it right...they don't have a number

8/10 is a fantastic score for a HD redo of a game that came out on the GameCube. I'm actually surprised some reviewers awarded as high as 10.

8/10 is a fantastic score for a HD redo of a game that came out on the GameCube. I'm actually surprised some reviewers awarded as high as 10.

That's the beauty about the majority of Nintendo EAD games. The old games still stand up strong against the current best.

That's the beauty about the majority of Nintendo EAD games. The old games still stand up strong against the current best.

The same can be said for any developer really, not just Nintendo. If you can go back and play a game that was released years ago and it still holds up today then the creators did a great job.

I do think Nintendo titles do hold up better than others in terms of visuals though, due to their cartoony art style.

9.8 from IGN

Should have been 10 but that'll do nicely :) The original got 9.6 but as this is an improved version of a timeless classic...

Even Nintendo knows about the Zelda Cycle. :D

Iwata: Actually, if you look closely at the world of The Wind Waker, it has its own sense of reality that’s takes advantage of its anime-themed world. It’s so inventive with a lot of bright ideas packed in that you think “Wow! So much detail!” But I suppose I notice those things as president of Nintendo because I try to see its charms! (laughs)

Aonuma: Well, there’s a clear split with those who are reluctant even to try it.

Iwata: But I think that has changed recently.

Aonuma: There’s a “Zelda cycle.”

Iwata: Yes. Bill Trinen-san at Nintendo of America—who always plays a big role in preparing the overseas versions of The Legend of Zelda games—always talks about the Zelda cycle.

Aonuma: Basically, as time progresses, negative opinions about The Legend of Zelda turn into positive ones. At first, I wasn’t sure about that, but seeing the response to The Wind Waker HD, I think it may be right.

Iwata: And it isn’t restricted to The Wind Waker. Every time a new Zelda title comes out, there’s no shortage of negative opinions, but a year or two later, people are revising their opinions, and its reputation goes up.

Aonuma: The response of fans in North America was like that for The Wind Waker. When we first announced the original version in 2001, the majority of voices we heard were against it. However, the responses for the Nintendo Direct we aired in January were incredibly favorable. Also at the Nintendo Experience event at Best Buy which was held at the same time as this year’s E3, a lot of people lined up in front of the single demo station for The Wind Waker HD in each store, saying they really wanted to play it. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Mario Kart 8.

Iwata: This might jinx things, but we weren’t able to expand the reach of the Nintendo GameCube hardware to the fullest, so even if people thought it looked good, a lot of them didn’t buy the hardware and decided to wait it out.

Aonuma: The other thing I could say is that we upended a lot of things with The Wind Waker, and we continued to do so beyond that as well. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had serious and photorealistic looks, and then The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword had a painting like look with its half cel-shaded animation. It keeps changing with each new release.

Iwata: To that point, I think a part of the reason that the sentiment for The Wind Waker is increasing is that people have now seen both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, and have realized that The Wind Waker did have its own appeal.

Aonuma: I suppose so.

BURN THE HEATHEN :p

Na, I can get why people would give it an 8. Besides, numbers are ridiculous. People should read the content of reviews rather than base it on an arbitrary number. This is why Kotaku and a few other places have it right...they don't have a number

FYI we would totally not have a number if it wasn't for stuff like metacritic and the clout it yields.

FYI we would totally not have a number if it wasn't for stuff like metacritic and the clout it yields.

I would say an overall number is ok but the individual scores (e.g. graphics) aren't really needed. Like here, people were wondering how the game got an 8 when all the other scores were 4 and 5. But really, some of them individual scores don't matter so much in terms of what you ultimately felt about the game. Some games are awesome but could fall short in a number of those areas.

5+5+4+4+4=22/5=4.4*2=8.8

Yeah it could have been rounded up to a 9, but it felt like an 8 as a whole. I personally don't think "okay so the game got a,b,c,d,e for the individuals that makes it mathematically a x", I think of each part individually and rate it (including overall). There's obviously a correlation (a game wouldn't get 1,2,1,3,2 and an overall of 9), but not a direct relationship.

(lol Zelda 8.8)

I think you were too caught up with the idea that a remake can't get more than an 8 and the fact that the game is 10 years old to judge it fairly. The game is spectacular and the remake has considerably improved it.

Anyway, Metacritic up to 90 now.

I think you were too caught up with the idea that a remake can't get more than an 8 and the fact that the game is 10 years old to judge it fairly. The game is spectacular and the remake has considerably improved it.

Oh yeah I forgot you've played it for 20 hours and your opinion is the only valid one.

c6vs4.gif

A remake can be better than an 8 and a 10 year old can be great, but this is not in my opinion. You've probably spent more time trying to negate my opinions than I spent playing the bloody thing!

Edited by Ashley

I like Kotaku's explanation for the sail

Nintendo has tried to fix both of these things, with mixed results. It's as though Nintendo only fixed them because people told them they had to. Doing so reluctantly, huffing, like a child only saying "sorry" because its mother told it to.

Sailing first. Very early on, you get access to the "swift sail", a magnificent tool which not only makes your ship sail faster, but also removes the need for you to constantly change the direction of the wind every time you wanted to turn a corner (a massive pain in the ass in the original).

This fundamentally game-changing device is, for some reason, kept entirely secret from the player. It's never hinted at, never announced. You will only find it (randomly in Windfall Island's auction house) by accident, or by someone telling you (you're welcome). I'm sure there will be many who buy this game and never find it, especially newcomers to Wind Waker, which...kinda defeats the point of putting it in there in the first place, doesn't it?

(If you do get it, and get it early...it's the best, as rather than rushing you through the game, which is maybe why Nintendo kept it quiet, it only encourages further exploration).

The bit at the start made me laugh, because that's exactly what it is

I was going to say way to presume what somebody is thinking but Ashley beat me to it.

@Ashley The first image was funnier.

A remake can be better than an 8 and a 10 year old can be great, but this is not in my opinion. You've probably spent more time trying to negate my opinions than I spent playing the bloody thing!

Fair enough, I apologise.

Personally I like the fact that the Swift Sail isn't handed to you on a platter. The fact that it's hidden away as a secret only adds to the sense of discovery within the game itself.