NEurope
Retro_Link

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Don't see why not. The difference with that is that it wasn't so blatently obvious that it was missing. Yes, Zora's Domain didn't unfreeze over ever but that's far more subtle than having the third dungeon ripped out in a Zelda game.

That third dungeon missing was so glaringly obvious! here blow up this wall and you've got a dungeon key item for free! cop out and a half

I'm not annoyed Nintendo left that glaring omission in the game but I think they could have given us a mini dungeon of sorts in it's place, sort of like the colour dungeon they included in the DX version of Link's Awakening. It could have been the same sort of size and challenge as he fire and ice mini dungeons in the game, but water themed or something. 20 minutes to complete, then you get the final pearl.

The wind waker was my first Zelda game, so I never even noticed the 'missing' 3rd dungeon. People just expect it because it's sort of a Zelda tradition. But when you don't expect it, it really doesn't feel weird at all.

So yeah I rather have it the game stays this way, breaking a bit with tradition :p

I do agree however that they should have added a little extra after the credits, sort of a mini dungeon. That should have been perfectly possible.

But at the same time when you look at the screenshots of this game going around the web. I can't do anything but stare at them because of how beautiful they are. The gamecube version looked great, but they managed to improve on it in so many ways. Can't wait for release day :)

That third dungeon missing was so glaringly obvious! here blow up this wall and you've got a dungeon key item for free! cop out and a half

Yep.

Plus the 50 (was it?) level "dungeon" to get a Triforce shard?

Yep.

Plus the 50 (was it?) level "dungeon" to get a Triforce shard?

You only had to do 20 floors IIRC. The 50 floors was for a piece of heart I believe.

BTW, that's gonna be hard as hell on Hero Mode! :D

Have any bonus/extra dungeons added to Zelda remakes ever actually been that good? I can understand the desire to get Wind Waker "as it was intended", but unless they did it exactly as it was on the page back then, it's quite likely it'd feel bolted-on and unnecessary.

Yeah tbh I'm quite pleased this Zelda didn't go with the whole '3 dungeons 5 temples' type thing *yawn*. A refreshing change. Same with Skyward Sword.

But you can parry like a boss!

That's all the attack system ever was really. Wait for the A button to flash, and away you go.

Have any bonus/extra dungeons added to Zelda remakes ever actually been that good? I can understand the desire to get Wind Waker "as it was intended", but unless they did it exactly as it was on the page back then, it's quite likely it'd feel bolted-on and unnecessary.

I've never played Master Quest, anyone comment on how that went?

Yeah tbh I'm quite pleased this Zelda didn't go with the whole '3 dungeons 5 temples' type thing *yawn*. A refreshing change. Same with Skyward Sword.

Nah, that's just you being lazy ;)

Yeah, I know it's not what he meant but it could be argued that Nintendo have gotten lazy with Zelda. Wind Waker = lazy, Skyward Sword = lazy and even though I like the look of it so far A Link Between Worlds is at least made up of 40% recycling of ALTTP's assets. They got lazy with the Wii and are suffering the consequences.

I don't think you can by any stretch call a series of games as polished as the Zelda series "lazy." They've just gotten unimaginative, and I don't think changing the colour palette or adding a new wrinkle to the modes of transportation are enough to distract from the fact that the core structure of the games has been the same since I was four years old.

How are S-E putting more effort into FF10/10-2 HD? The upgrade seems pretty comparable to me. Both have redrawn textures, both have other graphical enhancements (FF10/10-2 has 720p resolution and touched up polygon models while Wind Waker has 1080p resolution, SSAO, dynamic shadows, unlimited draw distance thanks to the entire ocean being loaded into RAM at once, self shadowing, HDR & bloom lighting, an all new dynamic lighting system and other shader effects added), both have extra content (FF 10/10-2 has extra content from the JPN re-releases translated into English, while Wind Waker has new gameplay features that utilise the Gamepad, Miiverse integration and tons of gameplay tweaks; features that didn't exist in any previous version might I add!) and both have remastered music.

The only real difference in terms of "effort" here is that FF10/10-2 HD includes 2 games (granted they use the same engine and assets, so sprucing up both games at once is reletively easy, but it's still two for the price of one), while Wind Waker HD is just one game - well that and the fact that Nintendo made WW HD very quickly in comparison because S-E are so pathetically mismanaged that it actually took them longer to remake FF10 than it did to make the original PS2 game in the first place :laughing:

It's really just a matter of whether or not you think that Wind Waker is worth more than FF10 & FF10-2 and for me, that answer is an unequivicable YES! EASILY!

Can you please direct to proof of there being remastered music please? At the moment I\m not hearing it.

Half of these upgrades wouldn't require much effort. Hero mode, Miiverse integration? Prease understand. A few lines of code. Wow. The remastered music, well I've read that a couple of songs have been reworked and the song samples are of a higher quality. Again I'd say the GC audio quality, compression and 1.5GB discs had a role in that. With 25 GB discs I'd say they don't have that to worry about that anymore.

Half of these upgrades wouldn't require much effort. Hero mode, Miiverse integration? Prease understand. A few lines of code. Wow. The remastered music, well I've read that a couple of songs have been reworked and the song samples are of a higher quality. Again I'd say the GC audio quality, compression and 1.5GB discs had a role in that. With 25 GB discs I'd say they don't have that to worry about that anymore.

What makes you think that the audio won't have been improved? Of course it will have, the game will be able to take advantage of uncompressed linear PCM just like every other Wii U retail game surely?

Just checked, it definitely does... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671081

Naturally you'd only noticed the difference if you have a receiver that can decode it but I'm sure they still will have overhauled the audio. :wink:

What makes you think that the audio won't have been improved? Of course it will have, the game will be able to take advantage of uncompressed linear PCM just like every other Wii U retail game surely?

Just checked, it definitely does... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671081

Naturally you'd only noticed the difference if you have a receiver that can decode it but I'm sure they still will have overhauled the audio. :wink:

I think you misunderstand me. I'm saying the audio will have improved but it's mainly due to the improvements in the hardware and the elimination of the disc size problem. It's not down to them putting some major effort into its upgrade. Just look at A Link Between Worlds, there was a story there yesterday where Aonuma was saying they're trying to get the game to sound orchestrated but it's not. If they won't do it for a new game, where sales are healthy, Wii U has no chance with Wind Waker. I'll post the story and link in the other thread.

I don't think anyone was expecting them to orchestrate the music, I'd definitely expect it for the next new home console Zelda though.

Great. I'll be interested to see what score it gets. Will the site go into meltdown ala Gamespot and their score of 9 for GTA5 if Wind Waker doesn't get a 10? I shouldn't think so as most people know it doesn't deserve a 10 :p :heh: :p :heh:

Edited by Wii

I read the review and I left a comment saying I think it's very fair and balanced. Just wondering what the score is or was that deliberately left out to avoid the pitchforks and torches.

It was the result of working 41 hours in 4 days and having to stay up until 11pm due to the embargo :p

Thank you very much for the review. My only real complaint is the price they're charging for the level of effort they put in.

Edit: @Ashley You'd better be running for the hills, I've just seen the score now. They'll be coming for you. I thought a 9 might get you flamed but an 8, you're going to be lynched.

Edited by Wii

Looking around the net I've seen different scores, so far there's been 8/8/8/8/8/9/9/9/9/9/10. Eurogamer gave the 10.

Edited by Wii