NEurope
Retro_Link

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

This game needs to get 10 in EDGE, I'll be really disappointed if it doesn't. Not that it matters much I suppose.

There is no way that a remake of a 10 year old game that has added only a relative little (i.e. some nice extras, but nothing mind-blowing) will get a 10 in Edge when the original only got 9.

Why not? It doesn't matter how old the game is, it still stands up quality-wise today, and the improvements have done just that, improved it. The main criticism of the original was the final quarter of the game, and that's now been remedied.

Reviews are done in the context of their time and the improvements don't justify an extra point when you consider if WW (original) was reviewed by Edge today, it would probably get a 7/8. I would guess WW HD would get an 8 at highest from Edge.

when you consider if WW (original) was reviewed by Edge today, it would probably get a 7/8.

I doubt that very much. They gave Skyward Sword a 10 after all.

Skyward Sword was a 10! I don't get the hate, it was amazing!

If skyward sword got a 10 it deserved it, but Wind Waker is a minimum on par with it, if not better

Skyward Sword was a 6, maybe 7 tops, it is truly awful and the worst Zelda ever. A remake of Wind Waker where they had the chance to add the missing dungeons but didn't does not deserve a 10.

For me, Wind Waker isn't as good as Ocarina, Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword. The sailing just made it worse for me. I don't get how you can say Skyward Sword was a 6 or 7 tops @Wii I just cannot comprehend it. Then again, opinions an all that.

Skyward Sword was a 10! I don't get the hate, it was amazing!

Sandboxed areas, an empty sky, ridiculous hand holding, a bland soundtrack, forgettable dungeons, generally poor boss battles and horrible linearity. I loved it but it had some serious flaws.

Skyward Sword was a 6, maybe 7 tops, it is truly awful and the worst Zelda ever. A remake of Wind Waker where they had the chance to add the missing dungeons but didn't does not deserve a 10.

The missing dungeons which, as I say again, were implemented into other games...

Skyward Sword is incredible.

The graphics are amazing - especially the way that the dabbling effect re-drew the details as you got further away making it look like a real painting.

The dungeons seemed like a breath of fresh air. Over the history of the series the dungeons have got bigger and more complex. I felt the dungeons were smaller, but more focused with better puzzles.

The sword play was the best one to one fighting of any game on the system and made the whole experience feel fresh. Taking such a huge risk with such a loved series was very bold.

Finally, I really enjoyed the over world. It wasn't as big and empty and the space between dungeons was filled with far more interesting things.

If I had one gripe with it, it was the filler at the end. The game simply didn't need padding out, it was amazing!

Some hilarious incongruities. Somehow you're saying it merited an above average/ good score, but that it was "awful and the worst Zelda ever."

Wind Waker didn't really deserve a 10 even when it came out, since in the playing of it, it borrowed its template very heavily from the N64 game, which in themselves were structurally ripped straight from A Link to the Past (which is to my mind the last truly innovative console Zelda game). The merit of the game lay in the way it brought a storybook world to life, and tweaking a few animations and giving it a HD makeover isn't going to do much to either recreate that experience ten years later, nor allow it to compete with the best games out today.

Wonderful game, but this update is really only for the the hardcore Zelda fans looking to experience the game as it exists in their memory rater than how it actually would be to play it on GC hooked up to an SDTV today.

Wonderful game, but this update is really only to pad out the release schedule as the Wii U isn't exactly doing well and Nintendo need something quick and popular to stop the train coming off the rails completely.

^^^ Corrected that for you :)

Ocarina the game I think is most over rated, incredible because it was the first game to do things on that scale. But I'd rather play any Zelda game since than that. Highlighted by the fact that Ocarina 3D was a huge huge chore to play and I still haven't finished it! Skyward Sword was fantastic for me, the graphical style and the controls just created a wonderful world I loved exploring.

I just feel it felt a tad stale at times because it followed the Zelda formula, i think Zelda needs to open up more and take much much bigger risks with it's world, structure and storytelling.

Saying this, I'm incredibly excited to play through Wind Waker again!

I always thought they were releasing Wind Waker on the Wii U, so they could make all the 3D Zelda games playable on the system, but what do I know?

The missing dungeons which, as I say again, were implemented into other games...

... And? It's not as if they couldn't design more.

Then they wouldn't be the missing dungeons

Doing so would greatly increase the time and cost of development - eating into development of both A Link Between Worlds and Zelda Wii U.

This is a spruced up re-release, not a new game. It doesn't make sense to pore that many resources into a project like this. Those resources are better spent on the new games.

^ Which is why they shouldn't charge full whack for it I think. If they haven't put as much time and resources into it then they shouldn't really be selling it for £40.

Good thing that products aren't priced depending on their development cost then (or else god knows how much GTA5 would cost!)

Wind Waker is well worth the £40 price tag. It's one of the best games ever made, made even better with all the awesome upgrades they've made to it (HD visuals, remastered music, Gamepad use with touchscreen inventory/map/motion controls/off-TV play, Miiverse integration, fast sailing, game tweaks like remixed item placement and Triforce hunt tweaks, Hero mode etc). I will happily plonk down £40 for it and feel that I got a bargain!

Can't wait to experience it all over again in a new way :D

Edited by Dcubed

Actually they are. GTAV cost a lot to make but obviously they will get a huge return.

Anyway no one is saying Nintendo can't charge what they want. We're just entitled to call them greedy cunts for it.

What I really want from a Zelda game is a system where they remind you which colour rupee is which every time you restart the game.