NEurope
Retro_Link

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

A lot of people like density, but personally as long as the game has lots of sidequests/side stories like @Rummy mentioned, I don't mind them being spaced out a lot. Yes, Skyward Sword was dense, but there weren't any hidden villages or settlements to find. In my opinion it wasn't spaced out enough to properly convey the idea of mountains, volcanoes etc, and felt far more like a series of obstacle courses.

I really think Wind Waker's overworld is a good model. Not everyone liked the sailing, but imagine if it was fields and you had Epona. The extra space would allow a contrast between areas that are packed with enemies, and ones that aren't (like farms).

Twilight Princess had a decent overworld, but every time you reached the edge of one area you had to wait for the next one to load. I understand hardware limitations are always an issue, but I definitely think they should be aiming for an overworld bigger than TP's from now on - one more like Wind Waker's.

How can anyone actually get excited about the Ganondorf statue when the prototype showcase video highlights such sloppy paintwork/overspray.

Look at this crap:

KjU717D.png

Eyebrows, sideburns. The collar is uneven as hell too.

If they're using a sloppy prototype to showcase the piece, I can't wait to see what the quality is like on the mass produced ones.

£20 extra? No thanks. $5 more? Definitely.

Edited by Guy

I was asked if i wanted to pre-order the top edition when i put an order down, i decided against it at the time. Now i see the model, and i'm glad i didn't put an order down.

Getting ready for the game however, i dug out the soundtrack and i also found an original mini-guide i got with the game for free 10 years ago from GAME.

1265060_423211087787984_1864885142_o.jpg

I just think about how much better the sea was handled in Phantom Hourglass

How was it handled? Plain, dumbed down and completely uninspired.

I love how the thing that was meant to be the big "thing" in the game (Wind Waker *cough cough*) has now been almost entirely ret-conned. Still can't believe that they didn't spot it as a bad idea originally.

They didn't spot that because it wasn't a bad idea. Controlling the wind was the whole point of the game. It was a clever gameplay mechanic that was a problem only to those with the attention spans of an 8 year old.

Make Link point the Wind Waker in the direction he wants the wind to go in real time to continuously/immediately control the wind direction. Integrity of Wind Waker magical function intact? Check. No 15 second interruption introduced when changing course? Check.

How it should have gone.

I agree that it took far too long to switch directions in the Gamecube original, thankfully it seems to have been much more streamlined this time around.

Thats what I like about Skyward Sword.

I think I'm going to be sick.

How can anyone actually get excited about the Ganondorf statue when the prototype showcase video highlights such sloppy paintwork/overspray.

Look at this crap:

KjU717D.png

Eyebrows, sideburns. The collar is uneven as hell too.

If they're using a sloppy prototype to showcase the piece, I can't wait to see what the quality is like on the mass produced ones.

£20 extra? No thanks. $5 more? Definitely.

Made in China.

beautiful screens
Damn. Please stop posting, Hero-of-Time. :heh: You're making me want to buy this game again... :shakehead

I don't want it!...

I... don't...

tumblr_m4q0f3az1v1r8upkio1_r1_500.gif

I pre-ordered it at just under £50 - had a few reward points kicking about. Willing to give the figure a chance for an extra tenner, plus it looks like it'll be £40 or so from most online stores.

Worse case scenario is I'll sell it on if it truly sucks balls.

I do hate Internet Explorer 6, doesn't display images so can't view the glory above. Until however, i check my phone. C'maaan October, come along quicker please.

And i got the day off on release (October 4th), by co-incidence honestly. It's a late in work, and i dislike lates.

Edited by Jimbob

Re: Wind direction. I actually think the chimes that sound when you change the wind (and the animation afterwards) is a massive part of the magic.

I guess I'll be the douche who refuses to bury the hatchet, but despite not buying it the first time around, I won't buy this until Nintendo show the true Wii U Zelda. If they do it properly, I'll buy both. If they don't, I won't buy either.

I won't go into what I want the next Zelda to be like, I'll just leave it as is so to speak.

How was it handled? Plain, dumbed down and completely uninspired.

No... the sea was a mystery to be explored with plenty of stuff kicking around try and attack you optional paths to explore. It's a much better balance of the concept of an open play ground rather than Wind Waker where you could hardly ever see anything to get tempted by.

They didn't spot that because it wasn't a bad idea. Controlling the wind was the whole point of the game. It was a clever gameplay mechanic that was a problem only to those with the attention spans of an 8 year old.

Can you really not see how the Wind Waker "mechanic" was little more than a way of either controlling where you went in the early parts of the game or later an irritating barrier to going where you needed to. I don't mind there being mechanics that present an obstacle that I need to overcome. But changing the fucking wind direction? What, as a player do I get out of doing that? It's whimsically fun the first couple of times but you get no sense of achievement out of it and you don't get to feel like a badass wind master because there are hardly and times in the game where you actually use that mechanic outside of sailing.

It's not clever, it's almost functionless from a game design point of view and stops people from enjoying the game by wasting their time. I don't have the attention span of an 8 year old (but thanks for the petty inference) but I do prefer to not have to pay penance to a game before I can get to the bits we all enjoyed.

I guess I'll be the douche who refuses to bury the hatchet, but despite not buying it the first time around, I won't buy this until Nintendo show the true Wii U Zelda. If they do it properly, I'll buy both. If they don't, I won't buy either.

I won't go into what I want the next Zelda to be like, I'll just leave it as is so to speak.

Eh!?

So you have never played it before yet you are intentionally depriving yourself of playing a classic Zelda title due to it not being a "true Wii U Zelda title"

What do you intend to achieve by not getting it?