Brand-new or Pre-owned

Brand-new or pre-owned?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Brand-new or pre-owned?

• Brand-new
    • Pre-owned
    • Bit of both
    • Not bothered

A friend and I were having this discussion where he found out that Sony was patenting an idea where second-hand games weren't allowed on the new Playstation 4 and that they had to be brand-new to play. I didn't really like this idea but I can see why they're doing it. The reason why I don't like the idea is not only because of the price of games but because I'm what some people may call a collector (I'm not exactly, I just buy old games consoles and old games and enjoy playing them).

In 10 years' time, I might want to buy a game that came out years ago that they stopped making. How could I possibly play that game again without buying it pre-owned if it's stopped being made?

It's not just that though. I was just wondering in general if you guys bought pre-owned stuff or brand-new stuff. 90% of my DVDs, CDs, books and games are pre-owned.

Sometimes though, I know people want something as soon as it comes out. So what say you guys, what do you prefer: Brand-new or pre-owned?

90% pre-owned, like you. Much cheaper, no real downside to it, imo. Plus, at 300£/month, I can't really do much about it, lol.

Now, I buy most games new.

However, if I didn't get previous games in the franchise (or from the developer) pre-owned, I would be spending nowhere near as much money on new games.

Having previous games available cheap is a massive form of advertising for newer games, especially long-term.

Kids and students need cheap, pre-owned games to turn them into fans.

Interesting subject indeed.

With movies (DVD's/Blurays etc). I'm not overly fussed, as i've moved onto the Bluray format so i always go for brand new in this instance. Most of the time, they are brand-new so second hand isn't an option in this case.. DVD's, even though they are still around and being printed, i go for second hand if brand-new isn't available.

Books, brand new. You can't beat that "new book" smell.

Games, this is an iffy subject. I've had a few issues with second hand games compared to second hand movies, namely that they won't start and if they do, they freeze or crash 1/2 the time. This is going on the copies of Gears and Pokemon Silver i bought pre-owned recently. Most of the time, it's brand-new with this still.

In my whole collection, 70% is brand new compared to 30% second hand.

Hmm, see I am not a lover of preowned.

Particularly with games.

There's just nothing like peeling the wrapper off a brand new sealed game. :D

If I ever do buy preowned, rather than getting that nice new smell I've always had a smokey, not so pleasant odour ha.

Plus, with Nintendo games (my main purchases), they tend to come with the points cards which you rarely get with preowned. It's pointless really though I guess, as the Nintendo star points shop is pretty dire :heh: but I still like to get them as there have been some cracking things on there.

In terms of music, I would definitely buy preowned CD's. Same with DVD's / Blu-rays.

But for some reason I like my games new. : peace:

I just looked on my shelf and realised that ALL of my blu-rays are brand-new. Not one of them have been owned by a previous owner. Bizaare for me, that is! :p

I don't do preowned. I don't know what they did with them. For all I know, the person could have defacated on the disc and then cleaned it.

Always new for me :)

When it comes to games, there are just too many.

So, just like you, I might be picking up games which I hadn't played 10 years ago (a recent example would be Killer 7).

However, some games get really cheap in a year or so (especially when I order them online from UK sites) so those ones I buy brand new.

So yeah, a bit of both.

Kids and students need cheap, pre-owned games to turn them into fans.

Don't forget about us regular people from countries where you don't get paid well enough. We can handle it here in Portugal, but For someone making minimum wage in Hungary, a brand new game's almost 20% of their monthly income!

I don't do preowned. I don't know what they did with them. For all I know, the person could have defacated on the disc and then cleaned it.

iBUGjYYJbSHKr.gif

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

I only buy new things generally unless it's hard to get hold of. Having said that I'm happy to wait for the price to come down and I don't buy much in the first place either, tbh.

Damn, this is close to a poll I was going to make about prices! Personally I tend to go brand new for big titles that I want etc, but I have no problem with preowned. If brand new is within £5 and the product's over £20, then I'd probably opt for the new myself. I don't tend to buy Game or CEX pre-owned, usually going for eBay or more often PlayTrade.

Tbh, I think the Sony idea is ridiculous, though the sort of thing I'd expect from Sony. I believe they're in dire straits and doing all they can to hold on to their money/revenue - it probably won't work and with any luck they'll go bust(not a fan of sony sometimes). I imagine there'll be some sort of exception to this system however, allowing re-sale with a small premium paid to sony for the privilege. At least, that's what I'd consider a sensible approach in a business sense(though I think the whole idea is silly anyway).

I'll always go for new, where possible :smile:

Having said that, I bought a suspiciously sealed Resident Evil Revelations last week in Smyths for £14.99 only to find a save file on the cartridge :nono:

Apart from clothes, I really don't care if anything is brand new. It really doesn't make a difference to me as long as it works.

^ what he said.. i find the idea of second hand clothes (or linen for that matter) a bit gross.. or chairs (sofas etc).. anything that my body is in regular contact with!

Everything else it's game on for second hand :P

Game stores don't sell pre-owned copies if they don't work so I have no issue with pre-owned games. They're cheaper and exactly the same as buying new. I'll only buy new if I'm getting it in the week the game is released, or if there simply aren't any pre-owned copies available.

Apart from clothes, I really don't care if anything is brand new. It really doesn't make a difference to me as long as it works.

Definitely this.

The situation for me isn't so much pre-owned v new more ordering online v shopping on the high street. I do most of my media shopping online so obviously it's mainly all new stuff. However if I go for a browse in town, I'm not against buying pre-owned. We've got a fantastic shop in Luton called That's Entertainment, they do great deals on pre-owned DVDs/CDs/Games. You can walk away with a bag full of DVDs and only spent £20.

If the money is right I'll buy either.

As long as the item is in good condition for the money you're paying, pre-owned is absolutely fine.

Example:

HMV are charging twenty five queen coins for the Simpsons season 4 brand new

CEX are selling it in very good condition with all booklets and inserts for five mere circles.

Winner: ME

I'm aware CEX often have terrible quality control and should not always be trusted, but you can have the occasional victory with them if you're careful. Of course this only really applies to entertainment and the situation changes a little with clothes, but even then I'm willing to make an exception for something cool. I don't really buy a lot of my clothes pre-owned, but I've never been above the idea.

I don't buy many games (or DVDs actually) so when I buy, I tend to buy new. When I was a kid and first got into gaming with the Game Boy Color and N64, we quite often got N64 games direct from Nintendo's Service Centre at reduced prices (I'm guessing they were ones that were pre-owned/returned?) which did them as mail order in the days before internet shopping got big (did anyone else use that?).

N64 games were way too expensive for a 10 year old, so we tended to go that way and also bought pre-owned from our local indie game store (which unfortunately shut down in the GC days). Since then I've always had money so usually buy new.

In terms of music, I always buy new if possible - supports the artists.

I only buy new because I want to support the developers, artists and actors. If pre-owned retailers distributed the money back then I would consider buying pre-owned. I'll buy the odd book or game on eBay only if it's still new and sealed.

I did point something out though and I think I'm right in saying this. Once I've bought that game/DVD/book/whatever, it should be cool to do what you like with it whether it's to borrow it to a mate or family member, to sell it or to use it as a frisbee. With Sony doing this, it's restricting you from doing that. Me and my cousin borrow each other games all of the time so we both end up saving money because one of us buys it before the other and we try it out before we think about buying our own copy. We wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

Most of the time it's new. usually pre-owned isn't that much cheaper, doesn't seem worth it to me.

Usually go with new copies when possible, though I do sometimes find myself doing a price comparison between new and pre-owned if there's no obviously missing content. For example, considering getting myself a copy of the 3DS Dragon Quest Monsters. The pre-owned price is half the price every where else is selling it as new.

Apart from that, most games I buy tend to be ones from previous generations that I missed out upon and thus pre-owned is my only option.

Always new for me :)

Money down the drain. New if it's a new game or almost the same price as preowned. Usually online is cheaper these days which is usually new.

As an aside, most actual game shops opened their new games anyway and kept the disc behind the counter. So really, they could have defecated on your games anyway.

Money down the drain. New if it's a new game or almost the same price as preowned. Usually online is cheaper these days which is usually new.

As an aside, most actual game shops opened their new games anyway and kept the disc behind the counter. So really, they could have defecated on your games anyway.

I don't buy games in stores anymore because of that reason, only online

I don't buy games in stores anymore because of that reason, only online

lol. Are you nuts?