NEurope
Serebii

Resident Evil Revelations Wii U

The issue with the Resident Evil franchise is that most the people who made the classic games have now left Capcom. Capcom also tried to cater for the CoD audience, which turned the series into a more run and gun. The same thing happened with Dead Space ( first game is amazing ).

The best we can hope for is that The Evil Within, created by Mikami, will be a return to the survival horror roots. As for a Resident Evil, the series needs a break and I simply don't trust the current Capcom to do the franchise justice anymore.

The issue with the Resident Evil franchise is that most the people who made the classic games have now left Capcom. Capcom also tried to cater for the CoD audience, which turned the series into a more run and gun. The same thing happened with Dead Space ( first game is amazing ).

The best we can hope for is that The Evil Within, created by Mikami, will be a return to the survival horror roots. As for a Resident Evil, the series needs a break and I simply don't trust the current Capcom to do the franchise justice anymore.

Well, I played 5, but the game almost felt like a re-skin of 4 in places, especially the bit in the African shanty town at the beginning - just replace the peasants from 4 with Africans and switch Dr Salvador for the axe wielding fella and there you had it!

The rest of the game very similar too - albeit with a certain 'on steroids' type of approach. It was all bigger, more explosions, more enemies and more action.

Overall, it was still very enjoyable. Just too much action for a RE game and a complete lack of any real growth from 4.

However, I do realise it is difficult for Capcom. After RE4, where do you go? It was virtually perfect. However, RE:R is certainly not the answer to that question. The odd thing is, I could have designed it better. It doesn't take a genius to realise that a sniper rifle doesn't work well in a corridor based game or that tension comes from a lack of resources, not plentiful pick ups and the same recurring enemies in every room.

I still enjoyed it myself, despite the significant problems that Zechs (rightly) pointed out.

I feel that it's a game with flashes of brilliance, but it fails to build a solid foundation out of them. It certainly has its moments (like the whole Rachel sequence and the part leading up to where you find the comms officer, but it does feel disjointed and lacking in clear direction. The "puzzles" are utterly laughably pathetic, the environment doesn't offer enough non linear exploration and ammo is still too plentiful.

That being said, I don't think it's impossible to meld the two styles. Hell RE4 itself actually ers much closer to the old style RE games than most people give it credit for - trading jump scares and intrigue for tension and overwhelming odds. It was RE5 that totally abandoned that old style (and also failed to replicate the good parts of RE4).

I'd love to see the same team be given another shot at a similarly styled game. Given what they learned from making RE:R and RE6's critical reaction, I reckon that they could still make a good horror game.

I loved this on the 3DS, and can't imagine it working close to as well on home console, the 3DS worked for me because it was bitesized, but also the intimacy of it, the small screen with the small corridors, and having headphones on for the decent sound design all created a great atmosphere!! And the online multi is surprisingly good!

I read someone from Capcom say that a new team works on each Resident Evil (probably since 4?). Getting the Resi 4 team back together would be a good start!

I read someone from Capcom say that a new team works on each Resident Evil (probably since 4?). Getting the Resi 4 team back together would be a good start!

For me, the best Resi games are those by Mikami or Kamiya. Mikami is busy with The Evil Within and Kamiya is too busy hurling abuse on twitter. :D

Mikami is busy with The Evil Within and Kamiya is too busy hurling abuse on twitter. :D
I worry that whilst that may be a great game, that it won't catch on at all. I hope they can come up with a cast of characters that can at least be somewhat as successful and have the public care about as much as they do certain Resi ones.

I've tried playing Raid Mode online yesterday and today. Finding anyone is next to impossible. It's a pity because it's really good. That's what happens I guess when nobody bought it and I'm late to the party. :(

Edit: Scratch that. It is impossible!

Edited by Wii

I've tried playing Raid Mode online yesterday and today. Finding anyone is next to impossible. It's a pity because it's really good. That's what happens I guess when nobody bought it and I'm late to the party. :(

Edit: Scratch that. It is impossible!

For what it's worth, the 3DS version is still kinda active.

Found quite a few players in around 2 minutes during the evening a couple of weeks ago.