NEurope

I'm checking my bank balance at the moment, just looking at whether or not I can afford to sign up to the new squash place next month.

How good are you with money? Do you spend it quickly or are you quite a good saver?

I think I'm somewhere in the middle. I've been roughly at around the same mark for a while now. My goal for this year is to be able to start putting money aside, preferably for an electric drumkit, but that will take me a long, long time to save for.

I'm a hoarder. Always have money saved up, just in case... (might change when I actually get a job and a regular income)

With an inconsistent wage, it can be difficult to really plan too much with whatever money I receive each month but I wouldn't say I've ever bought anything that I can't afford..

Having said that, I've never felt in a position where I have enough money that I can put some away :hmm: I just have what I have and it's getting me by for now. That may change on the basis that I'm returning to a job with less hours and less pay, that I hate, from a temporary job where I had too many hours and too much travel.. that I hated. I have an interview on Tuesday for a job that I'll probably hate but the wage should be enough to make me feel comfortable enough until a better opportunity comes along.

If I thought I'd have enough to keep me going for a few months, my notice would have been handed in weeks ago as I've had enough :nono:

My mum, being a massively neurotic arsehole, made me so cautious over money to the extent that I feel guilty when I buy pretty much anything over £20 (this is made even more absurd by the fact I currently make ten times that a day).

It's good in the sense that financially I'm solid but, for example, earlier I bought Need for Speed and Playstation All-Stars and I feel anxious and slightly nauseous even now (the first game I've about for about three months, too). I hate that money exists. It means different things to different people. It can carry so many connotations, I know a few people who (as the saying goes) know the cost of everything and the value of nothing; everything's point of reference is how much it costs. It's not nice. It requires no thought. It bores me.

...What was I talking about? Oh yeah, I'm good with money. When I got my very first job I set up three separate bank accounts to make sure I had emergency funds if ever I needed them (thank god, one day I did need them).

I don't really spend that much but a few times a year I buy something I really want - last year I bought an DSLR, a Kindle and an iPad. Otherwise...I don't really spend money on anything, except going out and I don't really drink so that makes things a lot cheaper.

Edited by Daft

Im crap with money. Its always best for me to do things at the beginning of the month than lets say mid month.

Im a bit of a payday millionaire and also try to live a champagne lifestyle but on a lemonade wage. I have huge postgraduate debts to pay off that i had to take to qualify as a lawyer. Working in legal aid however does not pay very good at all.

I'm in the same boat as Nando where I don't feel that I earn enough to save anything up. I have enough to get by and pay off my bills each month but not much left over. Really need a new job!

Well, I'm currently £30 into my planned overdraft so... I guess some would say that I'm not great with my money but this is only the first time I've let it sit in the red since I set up my account at the start of my undergrad in 2008.

I am generally good with my money. Don't really spend a whole lot day by day, other than on bus fares to and from uni. Spending has gone up in the last year or so (although it has gone down in terms of buying games/dvds/music) as I am going out more but I'm happy enough to be paying for that as it has helped me majorly in terms of being less introverted.

Probably should stop paying for peoples' taxis and food after nights out and telling them they don't need to pay me back, though. That's not exactly helping to keep my balance in check.

I'm quite good with money I think. I was at home when I went to Uni before the topup fees tripled the first time and had a part time job and as such have no student debt. I save well and switch my savings to the best ISA available periodically to get good interest.

I've never has an overdraft and think it's mental that people see this as their money to buy frivolous things. One girl in my lab was complaining how she'd already gone into her overdraft this month buying clothes. Seems weird to think about always living on the edge of having money or not. That's probably why sites like Wonga prosper.

As soon as money arrives in my account it is spent in celebration of having recieved monies. The last week before the next payday is full of poverty waiting for that day when I can finally get money and celebrate the fact that I have money by spending it.

I'm sort of both good and bad with money.

I'm definitely responsible, i.e. I've never had an overdraft and have always had at the very least the equivalence of a couple of hundred pounds in the bank, and never below ~£225. I'm also very economical in my daily routine.

On the other hand, once I do have money to spend, I go a bit Rockefeller; I tend to splurge on shopping sprees on Amazon to take advantage of the free shipping above £25, and I can be rather lavish, i.e. offering to pay the bill or donating a lot to charities and Kickstarters (or travelling to friggin' London for a weekend, though that's usually not all that expensive, actually :heh:). Still, it's only ever when I actually have the money to spend without having to live off water and crackers for the rest of the month.

I'm pretty good at saving money. My trouble is unless I have a goal in mind I tend to spend it a bit too regularly. I managed to save up for a nice Car when I was in London, but since I've been in San Francisco I don't have too much saved up despite putting $500 away every paycheck (paid every two weeks here). The main reason being that once I have a bit of a cushion I'm quite happy to have a weekend away in Vegas, or do a roadtrip, or buy a 3D TV, when really I should be saving for something bigger.

This year I've decided to save $1,000 every paycheck, with the plan being I can quit my job and move to Japan should I not get a decent promotion this year. I'm hoping that actually having a target will mean I don't waste the savings quite as much.

I've managed it before, so hopefully I'll do it again.

My mum, being a massively neurotic arsehole, made me so cautious over money to the extent that I feel guilty when I buy pretty much anything over £20 (this is made even more absurd by the fact I currently make ten times that a day)..

This is pretty much how I feel. I think it is in part because I've never been financially 'stable'. Even at periods where I am earning, I know it won't be for long or indeed to save for something. At the moment my job pays okay, but I plan to quit in a few months and go freelance so I'm trying to be sensible and save now, but then at times I have to remind myself that I can afford that bottle of orange juice, it's okay.

Lord knows what I'll be like when I freelance.

I HATE spending money. Even when it's necessary. I'm a massive saver and have got substantial savings at the moment. Most of that is due to still living at home, and only buying stuff when it's really necessary.

Sure, i'll go out for a drink with you. Sure, i'll go out for a drink with you. Sure, i'll go out for a drink with you. Sure, i'll go out for a drink with you. Sure, i'll go out for a drink with you. Sure, i'll go out for a drink with you.

tldr. im fucking horrible with money :(

I'm terrible at saving money because there are so many things I want or want to do. Consider me firmly registered with the Bank of YOLO.

One of my goals for 2013 is to get some savings behind me. Fingers crossed and wallets closed.

For a while I thought I was pretty good with money and then realised I was actually just quite good at finding a bargain, as it were. Since University began my dad has helped bail me out more times than I care to mention, from rip off letting agencies and the like. I've also only had a job one of my three years here, which obviously doesn't help things.

I feel like once I get a proper job I'll get better, I've learned how to live on a budget fairly well during my time at uni so it's not all negative.

Monthly updated budget spreadsheet guy here. I even know how it's going to look in April when the tax allowances are increased. But I've just moved house and am about to have the house rewired and central heating installed, so that's my savings killed. I get a bonus each March and I just use that as my savings. Maybe I'll stick a bit aside each month, but I don't generate any new debt, so when the bonus comes along it's typically not needed for anything.

I'd say compared to some people I know, I'm 'good with money' - there's better folks out there though. I've been called tight since I was 12, but I was always raised to save - and it's paid off as I'm hoping to possibly buy a house later in the year. Is it a case of being good with money though, or just not spending it? I try not to be too frivilous, but I could also work a bit more and earn a bit more - however I choose not to, I think it contributes to my happiness in a way money can't. The other thing is though that I've always had the comfort/luxury of living at home for free/cheap, I've not had to face real pressures of bills, rent etc so I've had it pretty safe so far.

I'm cautious, but yet i spend money. I save on average £200 a month, and transfer £120-£140 of it into my ISA every month which i use for big purchases. I leave £80-£100 in the account every month. And limit myself to £100 a week spending, which most goes on food and beverages.

I do well for a long period, putting a few hundred away at a time, then as soon as I'm feeling flush or can see a few uninterrupted pay packets coming up, I do something silly (just bought a new TV for no reason in particular). I think it's the curse of being paid weekly. Always have money to spend, just not a great amount.

Good thing for me is that i don't make spontanious big purchases (like a TV or something), i only buy stuff like that if the last one breaks.