NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
EddieColeslaw

Massages

So my shoulders have been aching lately, because I have terrible posture and the temporary desks at work (I'm in an overflow room because my usual floor is too full) aren't helping, because they have crappy chairs and desks. Also I am working on a >100-page document.

I was contemplating getting a massage a) to possibly fix my back and shoulders, and b) because I've never gotten one before.

A Swedish massage is €79 for 60 minutes. Am I the only who thinks that it is possibly too much to spend on myself for a purely...selfish reason? But then, I have some strange problem with spending money, I get buyer's guilt by thinking about buying things.

Has anyone gotten a massage before (any of the many types, though I don't want to hear about any "happy endings")? Was it worth it? More importantly, should I get one? :D

I don't really like the idea of a massage. I've never had one, but I highly doubt I'd like it.

At work we have a masseus/masseur come in. I think it's ~£15 for 20 minutes. Might be wrong though.

I don't think you should feel bad about spending money on yourself. It's your money after all (well I'm assuming it is). 79EUR is a lot of money though.

Edited by MoogleViper

So my shoulders have been aching lately, because I have terrible posture and the temporary desks at work (I'm in an overflow room because my usual floor is too full) aren't helping, because they have crappy chairs and desks. Also I am working on a >100-page document.

I was contemplating getting a massage a) to possibly fix my back and shoulders, and b) because I've never gotten one before.

A Swedish massage is €79 for 60 minutes. Am I the only who thinks that it is possibly too much to spend on myself for a purely...selfish reason? But then, I have some strange problem with spending money, I get buyer's guilt by thinking about buying things.

Has anyone gotten a massage before (any of the many types, though I don't want to hear about any "happy endings")? Was it worth it? More importantly, should I get one? :D

Sounds like you need a sports massage (to fix muscle problems) rather than a swedish one (to relax).

Got one about 2 months ago and was £35 for 30 minutes or £60 for 60. Does sounds/feel like a lot but worth it if it helps, plus these people have got to make money somehow :heh:

I don't really like the idea of a massage. I've never had one, but I highly doubt I'd like it.

At work we have a masseus/masseur come in. I think it's ~£15 for 20 minutes. Might be wrong though.

I don't think you should feel bad about spending money on yourself. It's your money after all (well I'm assuming it is). 79EUR is a lot of money though.

I used to feel the same, but I just need to chill these days. Also I'm not a broke student anymore!

We have that at work too, €8 for 15/20mins, they come in monthly! But I'm never free at that time :(

Sounds like you need a sports massage (to fix muscle problems) rather than a swedish one (to relax).

Got one about 2 months ago and was £35 for 30 minutes or £60 for 60. Does sounds/feel like a lot but worth it if it helps, plus these people have got to make money somehow :heh:

I have an abstract obsession with Sweden, which explains my choice :blush: I'll ask my friend who's an athlete, and has gotten sports massages before.

Haha, spending money, helping the economy :)

I know how you feel Eddie, I have bad posture too and sit at a crappy desk all day, so I get lower back pains and pain in my shoulders and neck (get "knots" a lot).

I have been interested in massages myself, but they always seem so expensive! Plus I have no clue what kind of massage is good to have. =P

I personally think getting into a good exercise habit does more good than anything. Ever since I've been regularly going to the gym, and strengthening my body (especially my shoulders and core) I feel SO MUCH BETTER. I have a VERY sedentary job... but I have literally no back pain because my muscles support my posture so much better. Massaging may work but its very likely to be a temporary effect, and require maintenance for as long as you have the problem/lifestyle.

Our work actually hired people to come in and give us quick shoulder massages over the Xmas period... Which was mega-awesome. When they came to me, that spent more time on my head :S The chick was massaging my temples, it hurt like hell but it felt so much better afterwards.. Hard to explain :S

I've got massages a few times in my life, and they usually feel really good, as long as it's not one of those rough, hard-handed massages. :heh:

I agree with Raining Again that corrective postural exercise is probably a better long term solution.

A hunched sitting posture usually leads to weak upper back muscles and rounded shoulders.

Something like this should help pin your shoulders back.

http://www.ergotrading.net/officeathlete/ergonomics/Nine_Stretches_and_Alternative_Instructions/UpperBackStretch.htmhttp://www.ergotrading.net/officeathlete/ergonomics/Nine_Stretches_and_Alternative_Instructions/UpperBackStretch.htm

If you search office desk stretches online you'll probably find loads of other exercises and stretches you can try. Might be worth stretching your hips too if you're sitting a lot.

I agree with Raining Again that corrective postural exercise is probably a better long term solution.

A hunched sitting posture usually leads to weak upper back muscles and rounded shoulders.

Something like this should help pin your shoulders back.

http://www.ergotrading.net/officeathlete/ergonomics/Nine_Stretches_and_Alternative_Instructions/UpperBackStretch.htmhttp://www.ergotrading.net/officeathlete/ergonomics/Nine_Stretches_and_Alternative_Instructions/UpperBackStretch.htm

If you search office desk stretches online you'll probably find loads of other exercises and stretches you can try. Might be worth stretching your hips too if you're sitting a lot.

Thanks for the links, I will be stretching my upper back like a mofo :) And Raining, too!

I've never had a massage but I doubt I'd like it. I've had girlfriends in the past give me massages (and you can get those dirty, sexy images of me out of your head! :p) and I didn't like them. I know it's not the same but I just don't feel relaxed whatsoever. Maybe I should try it out...

Get your ass to 中国 where massages cost as little as £5 for an hour.

Have a blind lady does my head, and it's magic. £8 for an hour of the pain going away.

Have a blind lady does my head, and it's magic. £8 for an hour of the pain going away.

But the flight costs 6215 yuan :(

iirc about the same rate in Thailand, but I was a child when I was there and had to entertain myself by taking requests for drawings from the masseuses.

That's a great price. If massages were cheap as that here, I'd probably go for one every now and again.

Seems to be quite hefty in terms of price here. :hmm:

Genuine question, how often does the offer of "additional services" come up?

Because it's ridiculously frequent in London if the good few people I know who've had a massage at such places are to be believed.

Genuine question, how often does the offer of "additional services" come up?

Because it's ridiculously frequent in London if the good few people I know who've had a massage at such places are to be believed.

It depends where you go.

The Blind Massage places are completely free of that kind of thing. Most of the chains are as well. The general rule is that if they have a price list on the door, then they won't offer. If they have a sign saying "30 RMB!" (£3) then they will have a second revenue stream. That's not certain though, as I've been to some extremely well-kept places that have tried to sneak a hand down my man-pants.

Also you have to look at the front desk: is it one person in a uniform with a name badge? If so, 80% sure it's legit.

If the shop front is girls dressed in clothes inappropriate for standing around for a long time, chances are you're in for a few fingers up the bum when the whole massage is over.

Seriously that happened once: a finger (not sure which one) was unceremoniously inserted and I was asked in a supposedly "sensual" voice if I wanted anything extra. Toilet paper was requested, but apparently that wasn't what she meant.

Seriously that happened once: a finger (not sure which one) was unceremoniously inserted and I was asked in a supposedly "sensual" voice if I wanted anything extra. Toilet paper was requested, but apparently that wasn't what she meant.

Nearly choked on my sandwich, but it was worth it. Suave mother fucker.

But cheers for actually answering that haha

This thread is making me want a massage. :sad:

I've never had a massage but I doubt I'd like it. I've had girlfriends in the past give me massages (and you can get those dirty, sexy images of me out of your head! :p)

I wish I could, Dazz.

Actually theres nothing like a good massage post workout, I gots me a serious case of DOMS in my shoulders... any volunteers? :heh:

A 'massage', 5 dollar?

Sounds legit.

Actually theres nothing like a good massage post workout, I gots me a serious case of DOMS in my shoulders... any volunteers? :heh:

I had that once. They were all like "Hi, I'm Dom Esposito and this is Dom Ackland." "Doms, get out of my shoulders, yeah?" And they were "Nah bra, we like it here."

True story.

I'm genuinely starting to regret I didn't vote for Iun for Funniest Member! :p Sorry, @bob! :heh:

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride...

Makes no difference to me. Neither of us will win unless we do something about the @Magnus.

Sign in to follow this