NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Things that people say that wind you up

"It's always in the last place you look!"

Of course it is, fuckwit! Once you've found it, you stop looking and therefore by definition it is the last place you look!

I remember once reading a comic book story (when I was a child) that had a kid saying this in passing for a joke, and then the rest of the story was him trying to explain this to a second kid. It ended with them genuinely losing something, finding it, and then the second kid searches an extra, last place just to be a smartass.

Funny, what a small, redundant saying can make us remember.

That's true, I agree with you there! I do think that "Be more confident!" is very helpful but I can see what you mean, there is more helpful advice out there but it all starts with you recognising the problem, which is why I rate that advice high.

I think what bothers me is that it can just seem like such a "No shit, Sherlock!" piece of advice to give, particularly on its own. :heh:

In the same vein, I've always wondered about "the exception that confirms the rule". If it's an exception, SURELY IT DISPROVES THE RULE? But yeah, I do understand the idea behind it (no rules - which probably ought to be "general rules" or "guidelines" - without exceptions), but it just seems like a nonsensical thing to say. But I guess that's maybe the point?

In the same vein, I've always wondered about "the exception that confirms the rule". If it's an exception, SURELY IT DISPROVES THE RULE? But yeah, I do understand the idea behind it (no rules - which probably ought to be "general rules" or "guidelines" - without exceptions), but it just seems like a nonsensical thing to say. But I guess that's maybe the point?

That's a common misconception. The saying is "the exception that proves the rule." It's a semantics thing, really.

"No entry with trainers" means that if you don't wear trainers, you are allowed in. Similarly, "no swimming without a costume" means you ARE allowed to swim, provided you are wearing a swimming costume. Essentially, you are saying "you are allowed to do things, except for when you do them in this particular way, which is NOT allowed," -- but stating "NO [x] if [y]" is simpler, shorter and more to the point.

(very poorly explained by me)

Got another one, "rules are there to be broken".

No, no they're not.

Yeees. Rules are there to be UPHELDDDDDD.

Rules are there for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

That's a common misconception. The saying is "the exception that proves the rule." It's a semantics thing, really.

Surely that doesn't change the point, though?

(The wrong choice of word on my part is probably due to me simply translating the saying from Danish.)

Well I suppose if the point is that people are using it erroneously then that's annoying. But the phrase in itself can make sense, it's just that nobody seems to understand it.

Unless you mean my use of 'proves' over 'confirms' it's just a nuance; 'proof' versus 'confirmation'; a rule saying "you are not allowed to eat spaghetti alone" itself acts as proof that you are allowed to eat spaghetti with others, whereas it's not strictly confirmation that the rule allows you to eat with others as such confirmation would have to explicitly say "you are allowed to eat spaghetti with others, but not alone." The 'proof' is in the sense that the rule can be interpreted in such a way that it allows certain factors to negate the rule.

Sorry, I think I phrased my first reply incorrectly. I didn't mean to focus on that particular aspect (prove/confirm) as being the misconception, rather the meaning of the term as a whole. The correction is indeed a moot point!

I didn't even realise that part of your post was in reference to the saying. Having read up on it, it seems I've only ever heard an incorrect, everyday use of the expression in which it seems to express that there are "no rule without exceptions", i.e. there'll always be examples that fall outside the overall tendency.

I've never heard a correct use of the term either! Everyone just says it, knowing that it doesn't make sense, but not really wanting to find out why.

I love me idioms.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. :) I had no idea there was actually a sensical origin to it, so now I'm really glad I brought it up. I remember reading about the origin of Murphy's Law as well.

"Chillax", "guesstimate", "Oh em gee" "whaheveah" "shahup" and any sort of any fucking real-life txt speek or chav garbage!

Oh and this too...

caring.jpg

What the hell is wrong with people!? And why is it almost always a yank that gets it wrong!?

But yeah, chavs are the very worst. Nuke them all from orbit and then blast their remains into the heart of the sun!

Further to that, "I couldn't care less", as well as "zero fucks given" and all the other similar stuff is idiotic. Going out of your way to say stuff like that is proof that you do "care" about it.

If you "don't care" then you would just ignore it and move on.

Further to that, "I couldn't care less", as well as "zero fucks given" and all the other similar stuff is idiotic. Going out of your way to say stuff like that is proof that you do "care" about it.

If you "don't care" then you would just ignore it and move on.

What if we're answering someone who's asking us our opinion on something?

What if we're answering someone who's asking us our opinion on something?

If you're asked, then I wouldn't class that as "going out of your way" as it would be much easier to answer than to ignore the person (which would also be extremely rude).

"Chillax", "guesstimate", "Oh em gee" "whaheveah" "shahup" and any sort of any fucking real-life txt speek or chav garbage!

Oh and this too...

caring.jpg

What the hell is wrong with people!? And why is it almost always a yank that gets it wrong!?

But yeah, chavs are the very worst. Nuke them all from orbit and then blast their remains into the heart of the sun!

I hate TOWIE/chav speak too. I don't mind the odd one but it's unbearable if you keep on using it time and time again in a conversation. It's annoying and nobody thinks it's cool.

Also, I don't really say "I couldn't care less" or "I could care less", I just say "I don't care" or "I couldn't care". Why they decide to add the "less" part to it is beyond me...

Probably because 'I couldn't care' makes less sense.

That implies that you lack the ability to care even if you wanted to. Which I hope isn't the case.

Oh and this too...

caring.jpg

It's amazing how often you hear in TV programmes people saying "I could care less" when it's clearly meant to be "I couldn't".

It's not a think people say but...

When cyclists war helmets but the DON'T do up the fucking strap. WHAT'S THE POINT?! TELL ME!!

When people say something along the lines of, "You like THAT!? What the hell? That's shit!". It's like, geez, god forbid we have slightly different tastes.

I don't see why people cant accept tastes different to their own. I think FIFA is shit, but that's because I don't like football. I wouldn't constantly tell fans of that game how shit it is, and besides, I can see that it is a quality game.

It's not a think people say but...

When cyclists war helmets but the DON'T do up the fucking strap. WHAT'S THE POINT?! TELL ME!!

People actually do this? What the fuck

I don't see why people cant accept tastes different to their own. I think FIFA is shit, but that's because I don't like football. I wouldn't constantly tell fans of that game how shit it is, and besides, I can see that it is a quality game.

I like football and I think FIFA is "shit".. and I tell people all the time.. :red: